ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

To the extent??? So no coach adds value?
Not saying that. I just think in the tournament there are so many things that are out of your control and the results can sometimes be kind of random. I don’t know how much “skill” there is to bring consistently successful in the tournament, but to the extent there is Izzo is probably best at it. Even if his team hasn’t had a good regular season they are dangerous in a tournament setting

I was looking at the box score just now. Coach Terry did something tonight he doesn’t normally do, and in all honesty it’s one of the reasons we won the game. He basically played 6 guys tonight. Cunningham, Bishop and Morris played less than 10 mins each. That was a good move. This was a game Cunningham would of got exposed in extended mins
I’m having trouble following this. Terry made a strategic call and is one of the reasons UT beat PSU. Per your post. But with respect to coaches, you “don’t know how much skill to bring consistently successful in the tournament.” Dude - the other poster is right - you spew out of both sides of your mouth. And I’ll freely admit I downed a bottle of Decoy in the 2ndd half of the Baylor game.

I’m having trouble following this. Terry made a strategic call and is one of the reasons UT beat PSU. Per your post. But with respect to coaches, you “don’t know how much skill to bring consistently successful in the tournament.” Dude - the other poster is right - you spew out of both sides of your mouth. And I’ll freely admit I downed a bottle of Decoy in the 2ndd half of the Baylor game.
It’s really not that hard to follow. A coach can make lineup adjustments and strategic adjustments that can impact a game in the regular or post season. Happens in every single game(good and bad)

What I’m saying is I don’t know if there is a coaching “skill” to consistently winning in the NCAA tournament. Like Tom Izzo. His teams are sometimes meh in the regular season but come tournament time he’s gonna win at least one game and probably more. Is he doing something different that other coaches aren’t doing in the NCAA tournament? Bill self went to the elite 8 with Oral Roberts, Tulsa and the final 4 with Illinois, but when he got to KU took him 3 years to even win a tournament game. If there is a skill to it Tom Izzo has a skill very few coaches have.

Yeah, most of it is about instilling physical and mental toughness, mostly the latter. Most have solid x and o (I say most to absolve Shaka--- so bad... so bad). Some frankly do have better x & o than others. But where krzyzewski and izzo and few and some others stand out is the mental toughness thing. They don't crumble under the weight of the moment. They might get beat but they don't crumble. One sure sign of a LACK of that-- during a key timeout, doing BREATHING EXERCISES!!! BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!

The point has gone over your head. .
Ah. When all else fails, the “you’re too dumb to understand” argument. I get it clearly. In your world Coach K got lucky 5 times. Bobby Knight 3 times. Bill Self 2 times. They are no better than Shaka Smart or Bob Weltlick. Or Chris Beard. They just got lucky at the random wheel.

this is gonna shock you, but in a crucial timeout with about 3 minutes left, the sideline reporter said shaka took his team through a breathing exercise. izzo probably did not use the same tactic. also shocking, since said timeout, michigan state has outplayed and out-toughed shaka's team
I'll never forget Shaka showing Texas players at a Kansas game how to make a "mean face" when they play on the court. Truly amazing, he was serious.

Ah. When all else fails, the “you’re too dumb to understand” argument. I get it clearly. In your world Coach K got lucky 5 times. Bobby Knight 3 times. Bill Self 2 times. They are no better than Shaka Smart or Bob Weltlick. Or Chris Beard. They just got lucky at the random wheel.
Not what I said at all. Like I said the point went over your head. I didn’t say anyone that wins a National championship “got lucky”. Now you do need the ball to bounce your way a few times during the tournament to win one, so it does take a certain amount of luck but obviously it’s not just luck and I never said it was

What I said was specifically related to Tom Izzo was that he takes teams some years who really aren’t that great in the regular season they’ll get a 5,6, 7 seed, but come tournament time they are almost a lock to win at least one game and many times more than one(he’s only lost in the 1st round 5 times) and I asked if there if there was a skill to winning tournament games exclusively because to the extent there is Izzo has it.

I also never said you were dumb I said the point went over your head. If you want to take it as you being dumb that’s on you

Not what I said at all. Like I said the point went over your head. I didn’t say anyone that wins a National championship “got lucky”. Now you do need the ball to bounce your way a few times during the tournament to win one, so it does take a certain amount of luck but obviously it’s not just luck and I never said it was

What I said was specifically related to Tom Izzo was that he takes teams some years who really aren’t that great in the regular season they’ll get a 5,6, 7 seed, but come tournament time they are almost a lock to win at least one game and many times more than one(he’s only lost in the 1st round 5 times) and I asked if there if there was a skill to winning tournament games exclusively because to the extent there is Izzo has it.

I also never said you were dumb I said the point went over your head. If you want to take it as you being dumb that’s on you
“If there is a skill to winning”. That statement questions whether a skill exists. “To the extent…”. Izzo is the GOAT ,,, to the extent a coach has any influence on a random game. You go on and on how you saved the program by recommending Donewakd to save the offense. Then pronounce that coaching is irrelevant and all results are random. Forgive me, but I read your posts. I’ve never seen anyone talk out of both sides of his mouth like you.

Rough tournament for the big 10. If Michigan state or Indiana don’t win tomorrow they won’t get a single team in to the 2nd weekend.
9 teams and only 1 made it to the sweet 16.

We had 7 teams but only 2 made it. But TX and KSU have played well so far.

Big East has been the most impressive. Xavier, Creighton, and UConn are all still alive, and all three are damn good teams.

Not apples to apples. Every team that's beaten a big 12 team needed a herculean effort except for Baylor. West Virginia loss was a war. Kansas lost by 1 because Bill self is out, let's be honest. Tcu loss to Gonzaga was a war. Iowa state game was a fight-- and honestly there's an advantage to playing those first 4 games like Pitt did because that team gets to get the jitters out. Now it may not help when they get to that third game in 5 days, but that second one they have an advantage. Nobody is questioning the abilities or moxie of big 12 teams

Not apples to apples. Every team that's beaten a big 12 team needed a herculean effort except for Baylor. West Virginia loss was a war. Kansas lost by 1 because Bill self is out, let's be honest. Tcu loss to Gonzaga was a war. Iowa state game was a fight-- and honestly there's an advantage to playing those first 4 games like Pitt did because that team gets to get the jitters out. Now it may not help when they get to that third game in 5 days, but that second one they have an advantage. Nobody is questioning the abilities or moxie of big 12 teams
I'm not questioning the Big XII I would have liked to seen more of our teams advance.

Now let's go to Kansas City and beat Xavier.

Rough year in the tournament for the blue bloods of college basketball this year.

UNC didn’t make it
Duke out in the 2nd round
Kentucky out in the 2nd round
Kansas out in the 2nd round
Indiana out in the 2nd round.

Any other schools considered “blue bloods? I’m forgetting? Gonna be some new blood going deep in to the tournament this year.

Reactions: freeper

Yeah and KU was without Self… I suspect if Bill self coaches that game they probably eke it out.

TCU kinda got unlucky. Miles missed 5 games. They went 0-5. If he had been healthy all of big 12 play they probably get a 4-5 seed maybe even a 3 and draw a bit more of a favorable matchup.

Rough year in the tournament for the blue bloods of college basketball this year.

UNC didn’t make it
Duke out in the 2nd round
Kentucky out in the 2nd round
Kansas out in the 2nd round
Indiana out in the 2nd round.

Any other schools considered “blue bloods? I’m forgetting? Gonna be some new blood going deep in to the tournament this year.
not many others but I'd throw in UCLA and they are still standing.

I’m not watching it, but I see the Lady Horns are getting throttled by Louisville, at home.

Usually Vic’s teams are mentally tough….hence his apologizing. The transfers he got this year just looked really slow.

I was at Reunion Arena the last time Texas played Xavier in the Sweet 16. Tom Penders' BMW team waxed the Musketeers.
I was there too. Went to X for undergrad (UT for MBA so I win either way). Up 12 at half and then melted in 2nd half. BMW was hot in 2nd. We had 3 NBA forwards on that team but outside shooting was cold (0-9 from 3pt). Friday should be fun but I think UT has too much bench. Predict 8pt win.

Reactions: diadevic
Penn State and Cal are interested in Rodney Terry. Now I don’t think he would actually take either job over UT but it does mean that CDC will have to probably make a bigger commitment to him than he would have otherwise had he not drug this out.

I'd rather be an assistant at UT than head coach at Cal.

But - "drug this out" - were you seriously ready to give this job to him a month ago? A week ago?
I would have given him the job after he won the big 12 tournament. I mean presumably they told him he had a chance at the job when he replaced beard. If that’s the case he finished 2nd in the conference and won the big 12. What else could he have done? Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT