ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (2016 Buechele better than 2006 McCoy?)

@JinSOTEX 2017 should be fun..
I'm not convinced the people in charge are really telling websites what's going to happen at this point. The reporting seems to be following the mess of misinformation nuufaola predicted.

Regardless if charlie comes back I will be letting the school know what I think by canceling my season tickets.

Reactions: MB-HORNS
I already said I didn't know and wasn't sure at this point.

I know, but some on this board coint
It was only a mistake if tolerance for discussion doesn't exist. Does tolerance no longer exist?

I honestly am glad the question was asked and answered. Where he stepped in it a bit, was parroting the mindless narrative of the results from the left. If he'd just said, "people come at it from different perspectives and it was troubling to some of the players on our team and as coaches and leaders of young men, we're going to work with them to move forward" - bam, nothing anyone could possibly say - instead, he went into the whole "racial" motivations narrative which is entirely anecdotal, purposely provocative and racist in its own way.

I'm still a fan of Shaka and will be rooting for the team to do well; just like I still love members of my family and still like my friends whom I've been friends with long before this presidential campaign. We all just need some time and space and we'll be o.k. soon enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: OwlsAndHorns
Ketch, the question you posed wasn't whether Shaka had a right to air his political views, it was whether it was a mistake. Commentary that can't even address its own question is the ultimate intellectual fail.

Anyone has the right to speak their political views, but it was unquestionably a mistake for Smart to publicly take a political position on something as highly polarized as the election. First of all, his political position is vulnerable to factual refutation. More importantly, as a coach at a public university, it's foolish to needlessly alienate a large portion of his own fans who may have other political views. He would be much wiser to have done a more impressive coaching job against Incarnate Word, and leave the political pandering to the pundits.

Exactly.

OP "I would suggest that not tolerating other views is exactly what put us in a situation where the country appears to be split right down the middle." That's what Shaka DIDN"T do. He trotted out the left line about Trump being nothing but hateful, sexist, racist. He didn't show any understanding for 1/2 of the country.

Imagine for a second if a UT coach said Obama's election was a "slap in the face."

Last edited:
Ketch, are you kidding me how does he get to stay if we lose to TCU? Has this program and its decision makers become that accepting of losing? If they have this is not s top 5 job, and this is no longer a blue blood program its supposed to be!

This hypothetical is the reason Anwar's article was so good. At this point, someone should be able to take a position on whether Strong or Hermann (or door #3) is the better football coach. Dumb to base a 5 year decision for the program on the most recent game.
History is repeating itself. It's 2013 all over again.

Would be nice to have the OB text messages back. I got my OB text saying Mack was fired at a Chuy's in forth worth. I wouldn't mind if you sent three or four as often happened.
I wish it was still around and not a disaster.

USC better enjoy Sam Darnold next year because he is gone. So impressed with that kid. Can't believe it took them 4 or 5 games in to the season so what they had in him.
Helton should send him a cut of his future paychecks.

You asked whether it was a mistake, and it most certainly was. It was surprisingly insenstive and poor judgment for a head coach at Texas to publicly mouth-off about politics, regardless of what his views are.

Now you're attempting to rescue his blunder on some tolerance issue. As public figures, head coaches are expected to exercise good judgment. Expounding a polarized political view in an accutely sensitive environment is very poor judgment.
mouth off or express articulated thought?

I suppose it depends on the perspective, like so many other things.

… Oddly, Washington was also was outscored 9-0 in the fourth quarter by USC to cement its first loss, also at home. While we’re asking questions, how in the hell did that happen?

… LSU might be 6-3, but I could argue that there aren’t five teams in the country playing better than the Tigers right now.

In Washington's case, take a look at USC. Redshirt freshman Sam Darnold was inserted as the starting quarterback in the fourth game, a 31-27 road loss to Utah, and USC has been on a roll since then, winning six straight.

In only seven starts, Darnold, a true dual-threat quarterback, has been even better than Shane Buechele. He has completed 168 of 248 pass attempts (68.1 completion percentage) for 2,161 yards with 22 touchdowns and just six interceptions.

It just so happens I've caught several of USC's games this year, and Darnold is the real difference-maker. USC is a completely different team right now than it was against Alabama, and Darnold has had a great deal to do with that.

I watched the game Saturday with interest, but I thought going in that USC was going to win, and it did.

I completely agree with your assessment that there aren't five teams in the country playing better than three-loss LSU.

To that I would simply add, there aren't five teams in the country playing better than three-loss USC, either.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
I know, but some on this board coint

I honestly am glad the question was asked and answered. Where he stepped in it a bit, was parroting the mindless narrative of the results from the left. If he'd just said, "people come at it from different perspectives and it was troubling to some of the players on our team and as coaches and leaders of young men, we're going to work with them to move forward" - bam, nothing anyone could possibly say - instead, he went into the whole "racial" motivations narrative which is entirely anecdotal, purposely provocative and racist in its own way.
I'm sure Shaka expected some to see it that way.

Exactly.

OP "I would suggest that not tolerating other views is exactly what put us in a situation where the country appears to be split right down the middle." That's what Shaka DIDN"T do. He trotted out the left line about Trump being nothing but hateful, sexist, racist. He didn't show any understanding for 1/2 of the country.

Imagine for a second if a UT coach said Obama's election was a "slap in the face."
apples and onions, no?

Reactions: I Hear Voices
It's not quite that simple IMO.

*Huge buyout costs
* No real AD
* Politicians getting involved.
* BMDs not completely on the same page
* The two groups above being friends/fans of Charlie and wishing him to win.

When are these people going to put Texas football and the Texas football fans above Charlie FREAKING Strong? If they keep this losing coach, they are willing for the next YEARS of Texas football to be as awful as the last 3 years and the last years of Mack's. I can not believe that they like Charlie that much and if they do, they are pretty stupid. Keep good ole Charlie and let him keep losing.

I am SICK of Texas football and the administration's handling of it. It looks more and more like I will be out next year because I refuse to watch Charlie bumble around the sidelines looking lost while the team looking like crap. I seriously believe my Pomeranians could manage a football team better than Charlie and I darn well KNOW their time management would be much better.

In Washington's case, take a look at USC. Redshirt freshman Sam Darnold was inserted as the starting quarterback in the fourth game, a 31-27 road loss to Utah, and USC has been on a roll since then, winning six straight.

In only seven starts, Darnold, a true dual-threat quarterback, has been even better than Shane Buechele. He has completed 168 of 248 pass attempts (68.1 completion percentage) for 2,161 yards with 22 touchdowns and just six interceptions.

It just so happens I've caught several of USC's games this year, and Darnold is the real difference-maker. USC is a completely different team right now than it was against Alabama, and Darnold has had a great deal to do with that.

I watched the game Saturday with interest, but I thought going in that USC was going to win, and it did.

I completely agree with your assessment that there aren't five teams in the country playing better than three-loss LSU.

To that I would simply add, there aren't five teams in the country playing better than three-loss USC, either.
Can't argue.

… Most ominous negative stats for the Kansas game: Kansas ranks first in the Big 12 in red zone defense, while Texas ranks eighth in red zone offense.

Texas has been what I would call average in the red zone this season on offense. However, the West Virginia game was lost in huge part because of the number of points generated by Texas on drives inside the West Virginia 27 yard line (which I will call the red zone for all intents and purposes).

In the game, Texas had 7 drives reach the West Virginia 27 yard line or closer. On those 7 drives, Texas scored 20 points. If you look at that productivity per red zone possession as a red zone statistic, Texas averaged 2.86 points per red zone possession.

To put that number into perspective, 2.86 points per red zone possession as a season average would rank dead last in the NCAA by a wide margin. Rutgers currently ranks last in the NCAA with 3.63 points per red zone possession, and only two schools in the entire NCAA average below 4.0 points per red zone trip.

If Texas had scored only one touchdown and kicked field goals on the other 6 drives where they drove the ball down to the 27 yard line or closer, they win the game 25-24. Instead, 3 of the 7 drives where Texas was in position to put points on the board resulted in 0 points, with a missed FG, a fumble, and time running out at the end of the game.

Texas has been what I would call average in the red zone this season on offense. However, the West Virginia game was lost in huge part because of the number of points generated by Texas on drives inside the West Virginia 27 yard line (which I will call the red zone for all intents and purposes).

In the game, Texas had 7 drives reach the West Virginia 27 yard line or closer. On those 7 drives, Texas scored 20 points. If you look at that productivity per red zone possession as a red zone statistic, Texas averaged 2.86 points per red zone possession.

To put that number into perspective, 2.86 points per red zone possession as a season average would rank dead last in the NCAA by a wide margin. Rutgers currently ranks last in the NCAA with 3.63 points per red zone possession, and only two schools in the entire NCAA average below 4.0 points per red zone trip.

If Texas had scored only one touchdown and kicked field goals on the other 6 drives where they drove the ball down to the 27 yard line or closer, they win the game 25-24. Instead, 3 of the 7 drives where Texas was in position to put points on the board resulted in 0 points, with a missed FG, a fumble, and time running out at the end of the game.
It ain't rocket science, but it is science.

… Washington State might be the most underrated team in the country.

I''l be honest. I am looking forward to the the Washington v Washing State game more than most any other remaining on the schedule. Too bad USC already broke Washington's bubble, but I really hope the Mad Scientist/Pirate gives em hell out there.

0ca9f999c53c915a458ab56cc2d3a566.jpg

I don't really understand why most people on this site (including Ketchum and his writers) are totally ignoring the realities of this team and this season. These are things that we knew BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED!

1. I'm pretty sure that I read on this site and on the OB podcast that they thought a minimum of 7 wins was the goal for this year. Not sure what has changed when 7 wins is still very possible. Seems like the bar has moved from this site, not the people in charge (Fenves/Perrin)

2. Texas is starting a true freshman QB in a conference more than any other where scoring points is a premium. Waxing poetic about his strengths and ignoring his weaknesses is not fair. Let's be real, Buechele is undersized (keeps getting balls batted down), has average arm strength (keeps skipping balls on those wide screen passes) and his "average" ability to escape pressure with his feet (if I'm being generous) all contributes to the poor execution on critical 3rd downs that kill drives. Oh and BTW, the entire offense is playing in a new system with a new coordinator who has also struggled with play calling. The last few losses are definitely more to blame with issues on offense (not Charlie's side of the ball) than the defense.

3. The overall youth on the two-deep on both sides of the ball is also a VERY real issue. Texas undoubtedly has one of the youngest starting two deeps in FBS (and definitely the youngest in the Big 12). I'd bet that Texas is on the short end of the experience level with every team they've faced over the last 2 years. That all changes next year.

I'm in the camp that this team is CLOSE (as opposed to this team keeps finding ways to lose). WVA is the 2nd best team in the conference behind OU....so it doesn't surprise me that an experience team like that beat a young Texas team. I would hate to start from scratch with a new coach that is NOT a home run. I am FAR from convinced that Herman is a sure thing. He hasn't done anything. A new philosophy, ruining all of the recruiting inroads CS has made is just too risky. Not to mention the near $20M it will teak to bring in a new coaching staff at the expense of possibly delaying key infrastructure projects is just a bad idea financially.

Reactions: txfight
I don't really understand why most people on this site (including Ketchum and his writers) are totally ignoring the realities of this team and this season. These are things that we knew BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED!

1. I'm pretty sure that I read on this site and on the OB podcast that they thought a minimum of 7 wins was the goal for this year. Not sure what has changed when 7 wins is still very possible. Seems like the bar has moved from this site, not the people in charge (Fenves/Perrin)

2. Texas is starting a true freshman QB in a conference more than any other where scoring points is a premium. Waxing poetic about his strengths and ignoring his weaknesses is not fair. Let's be real, Buechele is undersized (keeps getting balls batted down), has average arm strength (keeps skipping balls on those wide screen passes) and his "average" ability to escape pressure with his feet (if I'm being generous) all contributes to the poor execution on critical 3rd downs that kill drives. Oh and BTW, the entire offense is playing in a new system with a new coordinator who has also struggled with play calling. The last few losses are definitely more to blame with issues on offense (not Charlie's side of the ball) than the defense.

3. The overall youth on the two-deep on both sides of the ball is also a VERY real issue. Texas undoubtedly has one of the youngest starting two deeps in FBS (and definitely the youngest in the Big 12). I'd bet that Texas is on the short end of the experience level with every team they've faced over the last 2 years. That all changes next year.

I'm in the camp that this team is CLOSE (as opposed to this team keeps finding ways to lose). WVA is the 2nd best team in the conference behind OU....so it doesn't surprise me that an experience team like that beat a young Texas team. I would hate to start from scratch with a new coach that is NOT a home run. I am FAR from convinced that Herman is a sure thing. He hasn't done anything. A new philosophy, ruining all of the recruiting inroads CS has made is just too risky. Not to mention the near $20M it will teak to bring in a new coaching staff at the expense of possibly delaying key infrastructure projects is just a bad idea financially.
1. The goal was never 7 wins. The over/under for wins was 7.5 and most took the under.

2. Buechele has been great and yet the team is .500 against a ragged schedule.

3. Youth is the excuse. Poor preparation, in-game management and at times the ability to **** has been the reason more than anything else.

This team is only close to almost being slightly above average against very average comp.

Reactions: FTP Horn
I'd be careful assuming.
Assuming that the reason this decision is being made in the presidents office, which we all know is true. @Ketchum I need to be careful making sure patients that I take care of get the care they need and in the right way.
Being careful talking about my school that I've given over 7 figures to since 1992 is not really necessary. Understand who you're talking to.

BUY or SELL: Shaka's post-game remarks on the election were a mistake?

(Sell) I will not accept that his place is to not have a viewpoint that he can share. I would suggest that not tolerating other views is exactly what put us in a situation where the country appears to be split right down the middle on almost everything. The only way to come together is to tolerate it each other.
Wait a second. Isn't that exactly what Shaka is doing with his "slap in the face" comments? He's not tolerating other views which is what put us in a situation where half the country is split, as you say. What if Rick Barnes made the same comments when Obama was elected or God forbid, if Hillary was elected? Would you honestly still feel the same? If not, there's a very specific word for that kind of dichotomy.

I like Shaka, but IMO the slap in the face comments were classless, wrong, and completely disrespectful to the democratic process and should have never been said, especially in such a public way. If you really feel the way you do with your above statement, then how in the world can you not condemn those comments as the walking, talking definition of divisive rhetoric?

Last edited:
Reactions: Veritas10
I'll believe it when I see it. This site also said at one point Perrin told Strong in their meeting he had to win out to stay. I'm starting to wonder if people are just leaking crap at this point to keep things quiet until after the season unless the source is Fenves himself. Lose 2 out of 3 and there is no way to spin that to the fans as otherwise you should have just announced he is back already to help recruiting.

FWIW Eric Nahlin mentioned today he doesn't think Strong is back at 6-6. Not everyone agrees.
I think what everyone forgets when considering what mods have been told by their sources is that often times these sources are also just making an educated guess. I'm doubtful that any of the mods on any site have any no shit level one sources. They talk to BMDs, past players, maybe a couple of mid level administrators, but I don't believe for one second that they are getting information directly from Fenves, Perrin or any of their closest confidants.

So when OB writes "a source has indicated to us that Perrin has told Strong he needs to win out", that sources is probably just relaying his opinion to the mods. He wasn't in the meeting and Perrin probably didn't reveal that information to the source. Of course, many on here (I'm not saying you personally do this) just run with that as a hard fact. The truth is what Perrin and Fenves thought a month ago may be very different than what they think today.

I'm still holding on to my much maligned opinion that those guys DO NOT want to make a move unless absolutely necessary and 6-6 without a blowout to TCU will probably mean Charlie is back again next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT