ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (2016 Buechele better than 2006 McCoy?)

It is poor judgment for a coach at a public university to make highly partisan, very controversial political remarks at any time. It was even more inappropriate in today's highly polarized environment. It was also totally unnecessary with some much political chatter already filling the airways.
He'd likely disagree with you and tell you that not having open, honest conversations is why we're in such a highly charged period of our history.

Reactions: drunk randoke
No...no it's not.

Coach Smart is entitled to his opinions...just like anyone else. And like everyone else that publicly states an opinion, they open themselves up to other's opinions on his opinions. That's just the way it is...and should be.
so, you got to have your opinion. what's the issue?

Reactions: drunk randoke
Uh, OK. I suppose that means we need to define the meaning of "is".
What good does it do to continually publicly bash this kid? He is a senior. We have two more games. Let him play his two more games without the continual drumbeat. Maybe you thought you could get him to quit, transfer or commit suicide earlier in the year, and that would force CS to play someone else. With two games left, the continual bashing is just classless. That is all I am trying to get across. It was Bedford and then CS's decision to play him this year. Direct the invective towards them. They will both be gone soon, just like Dylan. He made a couple of missed coverages last week, but he did make two interceptions. The WV game was certainly a game in which he was an overall positive influence on the game. Lets just leave it at that.

I really did like the rest of the column. Good work.
He has more interceptions in his career than Quentin Jammer, Rod Babers and Tarrell Brown combined.

I'm not sure how I've attacked him. I simply pointed out a strange statistical anomaly.

apples and onions, no?

Apples and apples. if you are going to preach tolerance you should show it. Saying the elections results were a personal slap in the face is immature and a poor example to the kids. Not to mention alienating the fan base.

Reactions: txfight
Apples and apples. if you are going to preach tolerance you should show it. Saying the elections results were a personal slap in the face is immature and a poor example to the kids. Not to mention alienating the fan base.
I just get the sense that one side of the fence of this discussion has and continues to refuse to listen.

I'm not sure our nation as a whole listens well any more.

I'm not sure we are watching the same team. There are numerous examples of piss poor game management decisions that are not even close to MMQ decisions.

This team has been poorly prepared in multiple games this year. With Cal being the most glaring example.

Shane has been far from average. You need to get some perspective here.

Team win goal rarely and should never include a bowl game unless the goal clearly states that. i.e. 9 wins including bowl game.

Cal game did have a bunch of blown assignments. It also was a road night game on the West Coast against an NFL caliber QB. It was a close loss, but very understandable.

The perspective needs to come from you guys. If Shane has been "great", but yet he's only the 5th ranked QB in the conference, what difference does it make if he's the best QB we've had since Colt?? All that means is that the other QBs have sucked and THIS year, we are just average for our conference.

In my eyes, the only "bad" loss was KSU...ee probably should have had that one, but poor execution on offense did us in (notice the theme). Every other loss is understandable because those are more experienced teams with better QBs. The defense has steadily improved, but the offense seems to be stuck in neutral. Is that Charlie's fault?? Only to the extent that he's the HC, but we ALL wanted him to get out of the way and let Gilbert handle the O. So if there's blame to give out from a coaching standpoint then that's where it lies.

I just get the sense that one side of the fence of this discussion has and continues to refuse to listen.

Correct. If you're hashtaging and protesting with signs saying "not my president" and calling America racist even though it elected a black president twice, you are not listening. You are in an echo chamber.

Shaka stepped in it.

The bolded part of your answer is correct. Therefore, the other part of your answer is not. Neither side wants to hear what the other has to say.

Our politics have become nothing more than another sport where we choose sides. There's no empathy for, or will to see/listen to those that are for the other side. It's a terrible place that we are in and it is the fault of both of our major parties. They and their accessories in the media portray everything they are against as pure evil. You see it in the slant taken on all of the major networks including FoxNews. You hear it on every talk radio program. There are enough outlets out there that every point of view is covered.

Therefore, we seek out the outlet that affirms our beliefs. While all along we are becoming more and more entrenched in our little bubble. We only hear that which we want to hear and are told over and over how "we're right and they're wrong".

I had a few hours of driving around town the other day and experimented with different XM channels. Each time a commercial came on I changed the dial. From NPR to FoxNews to POTUS to Patriot to the Urban talk channel, etc. The completely different takes I heard on the same exact subjects were mind blowing.

We ALL need to be more open minded. But I don't see how that happens.

Cal game did have a bunch of blown assignments. It also was a road night game on the West Coast against an NFL caliber QB. It was a close loss, but very understandable.

The perspective needs to come from you guys. If Shane has been "great", but yet he's only the 5th ranked QB in the conference, what difference does it make if he's the best QB we've had since Colt?? All that means is that the other QBs have sucked and THIS year, we are just average for our conference.

In my eyes, the only "bad" loss was KSU...ee probably should have had that one, but poor execution on offense did us in (notice the theme). Every other loss is understandable because those are more experienced teams with better QBs. The defense has steadily improved, but the offense seems to be stuck in neutral. Is that Charlie's fault?? Only to the extent that he's the HC, but we ALL wanted him to get out of the way and let Gilbert handle the O. So if there's blame to give out from a coaching standpoint then that's where it lies.
You are blaming the offense for loses when they scored 31, 40 and 43 points? You are saying it is OK to be unprepared because you are playing a night game on the west coast? Davis Webb is probably the 6th best QB in this upcoming draft and Cal is a horrible team. Cal and KSU at the very minimum are bad loses. OSU is exactly a great loss. And UT failed to capitalize on a very winnable game against WV.

There is absolutely no justification for Strong's performance in year three. I was extremely pro-Strong at the start of this season. But he and he alone has put UT in this situation and he needs to go. The lack of preparedness, the lack of attention to detail, the poor in game management and the inability to close out games are just the tip of the iceberg as to why Strong should coach his last game at UT in 2016.

He is unquestionably the worst coach in UT's history and yet there are still mouth breathers out there that want to defend him. SMH.

You see an NFL player in Davis Webb?

@Ketchum what were season ticket sales this year? Do you anticipate a substantial drop if Strong is retained? I'll keep my tickets, but you can definitely tell there's just flat out apathy toward the program. Fans are no longer happy after wins or sad/upset after losses.
Noted the same thing on Saturday. The only ones shouting were the WV fans leading cheers on the way back to their cars, our fans were simply apathetic - neither happy nor sad. o_O

Correct. If you're hashtaging and protesting with signs saying "not my president" and calling America racist even though it elected a black president twice, you are not listening. You are in an echo chamber.

Shaka stepped in it.
electing a black president twice does not mean racism isn't very much alive in America. I think that much has been proven pretty clearly.

We ALL need to be more open minded. But I don't see how that happens.
start by being open-minded? That includes you, me and everyone else.

It often feels more like closed minded vs. open minded... just as much gets done as close minded vs. close-minded.

You see an NFL player in Davis Webb?

#4 QB coming out according to Walter Football. Kiper also called him the best senior QB out there.

California_logo.gif
Davis Webb, QB, California
Height: 6-5. Weight: 230.
Projected 40 Time: 4.78.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.
11/9/16: In 2016, Webb has completed 61 percent of his passes for 3,176 yards with 30 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. There is some buzz about him in the scouting community. Webb has a good arm with pocket presence and flashes good field vision. He can make some pretty throws downfield and fit the ball into tight windows. However, he will have some of the same developmental problems for the NFL as Jared Goff with having to learn working under center, operating a huddle, and developing the footwork.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

You putting Michigan, a team that has been arguably the second-most dominant team of the season, behind all of those teams?

I didn't say that.

I simply put out there who lost to who. Which allows for a discussion. How did the "second-most dominant team of the season" lose to a team with FOUR losses?

In fact, Texas has faced 6 of the top 13 NFL QB prospect (with #20 to come). That's 6 of the best in college football...facing our sophomore laden defense. Oh, and Texas is going to battle with an over-achieving true freshman. PERSPECTIVE

#4 QB coming out according to Walter Football. Kiper also called him the best senior QB out there.
California_logo.gif
11/9/16: In 2016, Webb has completed 61 percent of his passes for 3,176 yards with 30 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. There is some buzz about him in the scouting community. Webb has a good arm with pocket presence and flashes good field vision. He can make some pretty throws downfield and fit the ball into tight windows. However, he will have some of the same developmental problems for the NFL as Jared Goff with having to learn working under center, operating a huddle, and developing the footwork.

start by being open-minded? That includes you, me and everyone else.

It often feels more like closed minded vs. open minded... just as much gets done as close minded vs. close-minded.

Of course it does. Because like EVERYONE you have your own biases. That's why you don't think the other side listens. Trust me when I say NOBODY is listening to the other side. But you're not wrong it certainly includes you, me, and everyone else. I readily admit that I fall prey to my own agenda. I try to, as you say, "be better" but it happens. I hope that I'm becoming more self aware and can combat that. I've derailed this thread enough especially in light of what seems to be pending. This is an important conversation to have but maybe this isn't the best place for it. Anyway all the best and hopefully we'll get some much needed news at 5:05 ;)

You are blaming the offense for loses when they scored 31, 40 and 43 points? You are saying it is OK to be unprepared because you are playing a night game on the west coast? Davis Webb is probably the 6th best QB in this upcoming draft and Cal is a horrible team. Cal and KSU at the very minimum are bad loses. OSU is exactly a great loss. And UT failed to capitalize on a very winnable game against WV.

There is absolutely no justification for Strong's performance in year three. I was extremely pro-Strong at the start of this season. But he and he alone has put UT in this situation and he needs to go. The lack of preparedness, the lack of attention to detail, the poor in game management and the inability to close out games are just the tip of the iceberg as to why Strong should coach his last game at UT in 2016.

He is unquestionably the worst coach in UT's history and yet there are still mouth breathers out there that want to defend him. SMH.
Bottom line...we weren't supposed to do ANYTHING this year. Not with all the underclassmen playing on both sides of the ball and a true freshman QB. Period. Acting like this was supposed to be a Big XII championship team is just dumb. Who cares about the record as long as PROGRESS is being shown. Next year Texas should be ready to compete.

Bottom line...we weren't supposed to do ANYTHING this year. Not with all the underclassmen playing on both sides of the ball and a true freshman QB. Period. Acting like this was supposed to be a Big XII championship team is just dumb. Who cares about the record as long as PROGRESS is being shown. Next year Texas should be ready to compete.
You are failing to look deeper than the surface. The same mistakes are being made in year three as they were in year one. The stud freshman are not stud sophomores and are in fact regressing. Strong is still constantly firing staff members. He is getting out coached by the likes of Sunny Dykes and Dana Holgorson. Raise your standards.

California_logo.gif

holy shit.

Reactions: htownhorn13
My favorite TTFTW and it wasn't even close. Fantastic write up...I really, really enjoyed the writing this week.

As for this season being a mystery, that sums it up better than any other comment could.

Consider: Our true freshman QB and C have played well above expectation. Our D line has played well above our preseason expectation. We expected a lot out of our running game, and even that has played above expectation.

So what went wrong? Our WR's and DB's have been a roller-coaster ride. Our LB'ers took a nap until mid season. Our Defense allowed WAY too many points early on. And somehow Strong has been able to wrangle them in and suddenly our offensive genius can't score off a turnover to save his life.

I think we are simply young. If everyone keeps progressing and Buechele just doesn't regress too much, I think whoever coaches this team next year should win 9 no questions asked.

BTW, Buechele has to regress without a Heisman candidate RB in the backfield right? That's reasonable. Hopefully he learns to read a blitz though and get rid of the ball.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
I didn't say that.

I simply put out there who lost to who. Which allows for a discussion. How did the "second-most dominant team of the season" lose to a team with FOUR losses?
Because even when it was dominant, it was masked as a not quite great team in a Halloween costume?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT