ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: 24 Hours Later...

I think I can handle losing this game had we played well. It is the fashion in which in happened. The hope was this coaching staff was different but what I saw Saturday wasn't much different then what we have seen the last 11 years. Poor preparation, Poor play calling, and just overall bad coaching by everyone..
I almost think it's a good thing (long term) that this happened to us early, and in an OOC game. The staff needs to pay careful attention to how the kids respond, because the best should respond by doubling down on the work it takes to win. Those are the kids you want to be the foundation of this program.

As far as X's and O's, or who played QB... I'm not convinced that changes the outcome much. Both our QB's are very, very green.

What determined the outcome was that we got flat out whipped on both sides of the football and eventually gave up. Getting whipped can be a lesson, but giving up is always unacceptable.

Reactions: SVR45 and MB-HORNS
@Ketchum is playing fast and loose in attempting to draw parallels with VY/JB and Card. NEITHER of them had a clunker in their first real challenge.

I remember the 12-0 RRR game in 04 against OU. On the surface, we were shutout. But throughout the game you saw some serious fireworks from VY. I remember a 50 yard run he had that was like dynamite. Even after the game and that being the 5th consecutive beating, many fans had a sense of optimism because of it. There was just nothing abojt Card that made me think it is worth keeping him in over a guy who is en fuego every time he has gotten a chance.

Can’t believe two weeks into the Sark era and things feel eerily similar to the last two coaching staffs. Absolutely depressing and a bit unbelievable considering the pedigree of many of these coaches.
Pedigree as assistants…not as head coaches. You don’t change out the staff without bringing in someone with head coaching experience AND skins on the wall

It just might mean he trusts himself.
Come on Ketch. We all know why he purposefully brought in Casey late. Your man Anwar paints it out well in Pulpit. It is a major red flag. The worst thing that happened Saturday. Bigger issue than the loss itself.

Reactions: chrbrown21
Couple of third down throws that went for first downs and the ball to Whittington in the third quarter that was dropped.

Just flashes.

Whittington dropped the ball but if you watch the replay, Card underthrew the ball. JW absolutely should have made the catch but a good QB puts that ball in a place so JW doesn't lose his rhythm.

Reactions: UTbatachele
Quite honestly, I found the following quote a bit laughable in real time but it's still a bit shocking this was the sentiment less than 2 weeks ago:

"I was told Card has the mental makeup of a quarterback most people within the program have rarely seen.

Some quarterbacks are viewed as players who are hard to rattle.

Card is viewed as a quarterback who cannot get rattled, no matter what happens."

Literally the very FIRST time adversity presented itself to Card, he folded like a house of cards. I wonder sometimes if there's something about Lake Travis QBs who grew up coddled with every major advantage on the field that when punched in the mouth they fold like cheap suits. I mean, one could argue Westlake QBs are just as coddled but at the end of the day, Westlake has given us two SB MVPs, a future HOFer and one of the toughest QB hombres the 40 has ever seen.

well he doesn’t get rattled in practice. And man he can throw the ball in shorts with no pass rush. Thing of beauty

Well well

The ONLY answer is to start CT. Period. That does NOT mean you are giving up on Card. It means you are doing what is best for the team. It is possible CT is simply a gamer. It is possible Card just isn’t ready for prime time. Neither means that Sark’s choice from 20+ practices wasn’t the correct decision based on what he saw. It may simply be that what happens in practice isn’t translating to the games.

By starting CT this week (and letting Card play in Q3 just like the first game) we get to see a much more realistic competition between them. This is a decision not only for the rest of the year, but the next couple years. Getting more data points is the smart thing to do.
Casey scrambled right and threw a high wobbling duck over the head of his receiver, he missed a deep ball by 10 yards and took off running at the glimpse of pressure against a prevent defense yet we want to take out the QB with the best arm talent in a decade?

This place has serious battered fan syndrome. The game was lost on the game plan, no scripted short passing games to get card comfortable and open up running lanes, no read options. Just crazy vanilla and gave a very talented QB making his first road start zero chance of success.

How is this so hard for this fan base to see? My eyes saw run on first down for 3, run on second down for -2 and a pass attempt with a shitty o line against 8 defenders on 3rd and long. This Texas coaching staff completed the definition of insanity Saturday night.

Whittington dropped the ball but if you watch the replay, Card underthrew the ball. JW absolutely should have made the catch but a good QB puts that ball in a place so JW doesn't lose his rhythm.
He held on to the ball forever because his brain doesn’t process fast enough. Whitt had to stop for ball. Made a easy TD a tough catch.

Casey scrambled right and threw a high wobbling duck over the head of his receiver, he missed a deep ball by 10 yards and took off running at the glimpse of pressure against a prevent defense yet we want to take out the QB with the best arm talent in a decade?

This place has serious battered fan syndrome. The game was lost on the game plan, no scripted short passing games to get card comfortable and open up running lanes, no read options. Just crazy vanilla and gave a very talented QB making his first road start zero chance of success.

How is this so hard for this fan base to see? My eyes saw run on first down for 3, run on second down for -2 and a pass attempt with a shitty o line against 8 defenders on 3rd and long. This Texas coaching staff completed the definition of insanity Saturday night.
Papa Card has entered the convo. Lol

Reactions: Ace Boogie!
I remember the 12-0 RRR game in 04 against OU. On the surface, we were shutout. But throughout the game you saw some serious fireworks from VY. I remember a 50 yard run he had that was like dynamite. Even after the game and that being the 5th consecutive beating, many fans had a sense of optimism because of it. There was just nothing abojt Card that made me think it is worth keeping him in over a guy who is en fuego every time he has gotten a chance.
I wouldn't really bring the 2004 season with VY as the starter into the conversation with discussion about first year play as starters, other than to say quarterbacks routinely struggle at times in their development until the light switch fully comes on.

Come on Ketch. We all know why he purposefully brought in Casey late. Your man Anwar paints it out well in Pulpit. It is a major red flag. The worst thing that happened Saturday. Bigger issue than the loss itself.
I don't know why you're suggesting I think otherwise. I called for the hook much earlier than it occurred.

There was more to that play than simply hitting his receiver in the hands IMO>

well he doesn’t get rattled in practice. And man he can throw the ball in shorts with no pass rush. Thing of beauty

You should have seen my 53 y.o. self slinging the ball around on the streets to my 7th grade WR. Not saying I was looking better than Elway but I feel I was close.

Reactions: tzrider
He held on to the ball forever because his brain doesn’t process fast enough. Whitt had to stop for ball. Made a easy TD a tough catch.
He didn't have to stop, he just had to adjust his route slightly. The ball hit him in the hands and the drop was costly.

Papa Card has entered the convo. Lol

he's right about the play calling. it hasn't gotten enough attention. to me it showed Sark was scared to death of needing to win the game with Card and was praying he could let Bijan carry the load.

It just might mean he trusts himself more than you do,

Have you considered the possibility that if Sark starts Thompson that he isn't "admitting he's wrong" but rather getting to a starter is a process? At the risk of tooting my horn, but I said way back that whoever ran out against Louisiana wouldn't necessarily be the starter the rest of the season. Clearly we aren't at a point that we truly have an established starter.

He didn't have to stop, he just had to adjust his route slightly. The ball hit him in the hands and the drop was costly.

the replay shows JW slowing down. it's not about the dropped pass it's the fact that a well thrown ball is a TD.

he's right about the play calling. it hasn't gotten enough attention. to me it showed Sark was scared to death of needing to win the game with Card and was praying he could let Bijan carry the load.
Because he doesn’t trust Card. That’s why we needed a dual threat who can make things happen in the game.

I wouldn't really bring the 2004 season with VY as the starter into the conversation with discussion about first year play as starters, other than to say quarterbacks routinely struggle at times in their development until the light switch fully comes on.

That is fine, but we shouldn’t trot someone out while waiting for a light switch to come on if we already have a talented player for which the switch already is on. Then you are just losing games in vain. You put the guy out there that gives you the best chance to win. I can’t see how anyone thinks that is Card.

That is fine, but we shouldn’t trot someone out while waiting for a light switch to come on if we have a talented player for which the switch already is on. Then you are just losing games in vain.
again, the quarterback guru leading the program doesn't quite see it like that, or at least he hasn't up until now.

We'll see where he goes from here.

Reactions: styrbjorn
Because he doesn’t trust Card. That’s why we needed a dual threat who can make things happen in the game.

yeah. that's what is so strange. he showed from the first snap he didn't trust his QB and still wouldn't make the change to Casey at the half when everyone who was watching knew it was time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT