ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: 24 Hours Later...

Question for everyone... did you guys not expect Card to have a random clunker at some point in the season?

Reactions: aahorn8234
What is best for the long term future of your program, Casey Thompson or Hudson Card. You are not going to improve the talent on this awful offensive line this year. Do you feel its better at this point to let Card grow into the QB we all think he can be and take his lumps growing up, or do you pacify your fickle fan base and send Thompson out to be in this spot again next spring or worse because Card bails out and your backups are Murphy and Charles Wright.
Murphy should not be an option before 2023 or even 2024, he’s also a long way from ready. if he’s an option next season, it’s Card, Gilbert , Swoopes all over again..

again, the quarterback guru leading the program doesn't quite see it like that, or at least he hasn't up until now.

We'll see where he goes from here.

Same QB guru who had Tua on the bench instead of Hurts. These are hard decisions. I’ll give him that. He now needs to do what his eyes see.

Reactions: Ketchum
James had some shitty performances as a young player. So did VY. So has every quarterback that Texas has pretty much ever had outside of possibly Colt.
Agreed- JB had plenty of rough patches in '94, just like Morenz would've likely had.

My point- Brown still played decisively. (like VY) Mistakes and all, he displayed an aggressive attitude that his team responded to. Card was overly tentative and hesitant even when there were plays to be made. In this risk/reward space, who do you choose?

Look, Card is the more talented QB. But the mental adjustment is tough at this stage. IMO there's no downside in allowing him to view from the sideline for awhile.

For now, I'm in the camp to let CT show what he can do.

again, the quarterback guru leading the program doesn't quite see it like that, or at least he hasn't up until now.

We'll see where he goes from here.

the quarterback guru who didn't trust his quarterback enough to throw the ball on 7 of 9 first down plays in the fist half? I can't remember a game plan that was more afraid to let the quarterback throw the ball than that one. Maybe Greg/Gilbert versus Nebraska?

Reactions: horns--21
Question for everyone... did you guys not expect Card to have a random clunker at some point in the season?
Yes, I knew he wasn’t ready…
I expect TCU will be Arkansas all over again, 44-19 TCU if Card starts, with Casey getting 7-10 of those points in “mop up duty”…
I was Team Casey all along while grooming Card for future success..
im Fully expecting Card to lay an egg vs TCU, OU, OSU and at least once more this season…
while performing at an “ok” level against the more mediocre teams..

More than 1 IMO. I also expected Texas to be 1-1 after 2 games, and hopefully 4-2 after the OU game, but could easily be 3-3. Schedule softens a bit after that.

I could see the team, and Card, closing with a bunch of wins in a row and setting the table for better things in the future.

Of course, maybe not lol.

That is fine, but we shouldn’t trot someone out while waiting for a light switch to come on if we already have a talented player for which the switch already is on. Then you are just losing games in vain. You put the guy out there that gives you the best chance to win. I can’t see how anyone thinks that is Card.

i've seen @Ketchum argue in this thread Sark is a guru beyond reproach but also that Sark is stubborn and won't admit a mistake easily which are contradictory views.

Agreed- JB had plenty of rough patches in '94, just like Morenz would've likely had.

My point- Brown still played decisively. (like VY) Mistakes and all, he displayed an aggressive attitude that his team responded to. Card was overly tentative and hesitant even when there were plays to be made. In this risk/reward space, who do you choose?

Look, Card is the more talented QB. But the mental adjustment is tough at this stage. IMO there's no downside in allowing him to view from the sideline for awhile.

For now, I'm in the camp to let CT show what he can do.
I completely understand your position. You might be right,

Reactions: harpethhorn1
I'm just amazed at how committed some of you people are to one QB or the other. Or maybe it's just commitment to winning the argument?

Casey has looked good in a very small sample set, with no career starts. Card looked good against UL and not so good against Arky. I'm not convinced either guy beats Arky with the way our other 21 guys played. And that's kind of the issue - QB is important but it's not realistic to expect either of these guys to carry the whole team. I certainly don't see a big enough margin between the two of them to change the outcome of either of the games we've played so far.

Personally IDGAF which QB starts. I really like both of them and wish them nothing but success.

Reactions: LSM_Zach
Aaron Rodgers in one of his first starts at Cal in a loss to Oregon State at home. This was after he was benched in a loss to USC the previous week.

1631542275258.png

Reactions: aahorn8234
If we are not giving Casey the benefit of the doubt because the sample size is too small, then we shouldn’t give Card the benefit of the doubt either. He’s been good for three quarters and terrible for three as well. So, he’s good only half the time. At this point Casey has actually been way more productive when given the chance. Let him start and see what happens.

Reactions: chrbrown21
If we are not giving Casey the benefit of the doubt because the sample size is too small, then we shouldn’t give Card the benefit of the doubt either. He’s been good for three quarters and terrible for three as well. So, he’s good only half the time. At this point Casey has actually been way more productive when given the chance. Let him start and see what happens.
I'm not sure I have much benefit of the doubt to give.

None of the coaches or players had experienced a stadium like they walked into Saturday. Sure Sark had seen it while in Alabama at some of the away games, but never as a HC. And perhaps Sark's being pissed after Thursday's practice was an indication that he knew his team was not prepared and that there was not enough time to get them prepared.

The team will see better talent throughout the year than they saw Saturday, and they will play in hostile environments, but none as hostile as this past Saturday. They will play against teams that are amped up like the Hogs, but likely none more so.

Every team on UT's schedule wants a piece of UT, every year and this year especially. Sark and his coaches have to put on their big boy pants for almost every game of the rest of the season and have to get the message to the team that if a player cannot pulls his on, they will find someone who will. If the players or coaches do not exist on the roster, it will be very ugly.

'We're Texas' not only does not get the job done any more, it detracts from being prepared and hurts the chances of success.

Reactions: toran
None of the coaches or players had experienced a stadium like they walked into Saturday. Sure Sark had seen it while in Alabama at some of the away games, but never as a HC. And perhaps Sark's being pissed after Thursday's practice was an indication that he knew his team was not prepared and that there was not enough time to get them prepared.

The team will see better talent throughout the year than they saw Saturday, and they will play in hostile environments, but none as hostile as this past Saturday. They will play against teams that are amped up like the Hogs, but likely none more so.

Every team on UT's schedule wants a piece of UT, every year and this year especially. Sark and his coaches have to put on their big boy pants for almost every game of the rest of the season and have to get the message to the team that if a player cannot pulls his on, they will find someone who will. If the players or coaches do not exist on the roster, it will be very ugly.

'We're Texas' not only does not get the job done any more, it detracts from being prepared and hurts the chances of success.
100-percent agree

you raise a great point. the target on the back of Texas has never been bigger. expect each team to play their absolute best against them.

Finally, someone who gets it. You should be a mod, but I believe that would be a demotion.

And was benched in the Tech game. Those teams he played on could survive sketchy passing performances.
I mean he was benched situationally to let Mock run the 2 minute drill because Mock was viewed as the better passer

I think this is actually a good argument for playing Casey behind this OL

It wasn't Sark's best night, that's for sure.
It was a terrible game plan on both offense and defense. I’m still trying to understand what Coach K was trying to do on defense vs a QB who can’t pass.

for me, the anger isn’t at Card. It’s the fact we were supposed to have a new staff that didn’t get completely out coached every week and developed players. Sark’s offense game plan was terrible, defensive game plan was terrible and our OL and WR group look like they’ve gone backwards. Combine those two groups on-field with off-field (recruiting those positions) and I think it’s fair to question Flood/Coleman as coaches even 2 games in. I’ll chalk up Sark and Coach K game plans as bad ones and have confidence they will improve -not so for Flood and Coleman until they show us

With no o-line which QB can run for his life better? That's your starter and first to get hurt.
I think that's a moot point. Card refuses to run. He should have had 50 plus yards in the first half just tucking and running be he flat out refused. I get that people will say "maybe" coach said don't run but if he doesn't start he had better be prepared to see that drop 8 on every pass play.

What if he believes the right thing is to play Card because he thinks he's better?
It’s hard to watch the game film and conclude that right now. Over time? Yes. It sure looks like the QB that gives the team the best chance to win at this point in time is CT.
Admittedly I was always on team Casey. I am all in on Card as he reaches his potential but he sure looked like the Arkansas game was on Hard level while he was playing at the novice level.

It was a terrible game plan on both offense and defense. I’m still trying to understand what Coach K was trying to do on defense vs a QB who can’t pass.

for me, the anger isn’t at Card. It’s the fact we were supposed to have a new staff that didn’t get completely out coached every week and developed players. Sark’s offense game plan was terrible, defensive game plan was terrible and our OL and WR group look like they’ve gone backwards. Combine those two groups on-field with off-field (recruiting those positions) and I think it’s fair to question Flood/Coleman as coaches even 2 games in. I’ll chalk up Sark and Coach K game plans as bad ones and have confidence they will improve -not so for Flood and Coleman until they show us
totally feel you.

It’s hard to watch the game film and conclude that right now. Over time? Yes. It sure looks like the QB that gives the team the best chance to win at this point in time is CT.
Admittedly I was always on team Casey. I am all in on Card as he reaches his potential but he sure looked like the Arkansas game was on Hard level while he was playing at the novice level.
He's seen more of both players than you have up-close, no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT