ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (3 things Shane can do to be like Colt)

Up until the quarterback sneak gone wrong that took McCoy out of the game against Kansas State and left him a shell of his normal self against Texas A&M, the redshirt freshman was living one of the most charmed seasons these eyes have ever seen.

That is an excellent point, and one that is easy to overlook. May lightening strike twice, ten years later.

And while I am underwhelmed by the expansion candidates as a whole, of the pool we have to choose from, I think UConn and UCF are no brainers.

I agree. Basically what I'm getting at is if Strong has a good enough season to where it's obvious he'll be here for a few more seasons I think we land Little and Browning.
I agree.

Plus, it seems we only have slight disagreement on Little.

4 Longhorn practice nuggets and 4 nuggets on soccer. Let's try to up that 1:1 ratio next week to something like 10:1, and that's coming from a soccer fan.

You can say Shane has plenty of talent to work with, but you also can't name me a single player on the 2016 starting offense that would start for the 2006 team. That team began the season ranked #2 in the country for a reason, just like this one begins the season unranked.

The other thing working big-time against Shane to recreate what Colt did in 2006 is the lack of a redshirt season. He did enroll early, but he is still a full year younger and a full semester behind Colt in development ahead of his first start. Don't think I need to remind anyone of the track record of UT quarterbacks who redshirted compared to those who didn't.

Reactions: Tx Tailgator
Good stuff.

- If Buecehele is just good, Texas can win at least seven games. He will need a defense that doesn't force him to play from behind.

- Cincy does seem like a lock. Not looking forward to that November road trip.

- Can't understand why Brian Jean-Mary isn't being considered by more schools to become their next DC.

- When you remember that many rape victims never speak out, the situation at Baylor was/is probably 10 times worse than we can imagine.

- Hopkins should have been all in. Can't go on strike for a day. Either all chips in or don't play.

Seems like Mac had at least one stinker -- my buddy who I've shared season tickets with for years and I used to call them ILs: "inexplicable losses" -- for many seasons he was here and Stoops is almost always good for one a year.

This is how I look at it when comparing the stinkers of Mack Brown to Charlie Strong. I'd define stinkers as games where you either lose by 18+ points or your offense fails to score 10 or more points in a game. Here's how they compare:

During Mack's meaningful tenure at UT from 1998-2009 (before he quit on the job and things got off the rails), in 12 seasons and 155 total games played, Mack lost 7 games by 18+ points and had 7 games where his teams failed to score 10 points.

In 2 seasons and 25 total games played, Strong has lost 9 games by 18+ points, and had 7 games where his teams failed to score 10 points.

Mack averaged one stinker every 17.2 games. Charlie has averaged one stinker every 2.8 games. In fact, Strong could go the next 10 seasons without a single stinker game and he would STILL have more than Mack had in his first 12 seasons.

All 200 mile stretches are not created equal. Besides it's much closer to Boston than NYC. Staying in Boston for a game at UConn would be the equivalent of staying in Chicago for the Notre Dame game. Very doable. That would be a great road trip.
Boston is on my to do list for a trip. Would not suck.

Reactions: PabloDeTejas
Good stuff.

- If Buecehele is just good, Texas can win at least seven games. He will need a defense that doesn't force him to play from behind.

- Cincy does seem like a lock. Not looking forward to that November road trip.

- Can't understand why Brian Jean-Mary isn't being considered by more schools to become their next DC.

- When you remember that many rape victims never speak out, the situation at Baylor was/is probably 10 times worse than we can imagine.

- Hopkins should have been all in. Can't go on strike for a day. Either all chips in or don't play.
regarding BJM, our defense was awful last year. I think a little more success is needed

Reactions: _Ghost_
4 Longhorn practice nuggets and 4 nuggets on soccer. Let's try to up that 1:1 ratio next week to something like 10:1, and that's coming from a soccer fan.
charlie-brown-1-sad-231x300.jpg

I agree that the PGA lacked sizzle but that ending on the final hole was pretty compelling.

Day's eagle (two iron shots and one putt on a par 5) on 18 to put a little heat on Walker was great stuff.

Last edited:
Seems like Mac had at least one stinker -- my buddy who I've shared season tickets with for years and I used to call them ILs: "inexplicable losses" -- for many seasons he was here and Stoops is almost always good for one a year.

I know that DKR won the most games, and I am not finding anyone else who won as many games as Mac did at Texas. I am sure if Mac had won 5 consecutive national championships some people on this site would still be complaining that he did not win 6.
How the hell do you people consider yourselves Texas fans and not know how to spell MacK Brown?

Reactions: BrushCountryHorn
You can say Shane has plenty of talent to work with, but you also can't name me a single player on the 2016 starting offense that would start for the 2006 team. That team began the season ranked #2 in the country for a reason, just like this one begins the season unranked.

The other thing working big-time against Shane to recreate what Colt did in 2006 is the lack of a redshirt season. He did enroll early, but he is still a full year younger and a full semester behind Colt in development ahead of his first start. Don't think I need to remind anyone of the track record of UT quarterbacks who redshirted compared to those who didn't.

The plus side of that for Shane is not only that he's an early enrollee, but he's in a system that probably runs 70% more total reps in practice than the Longhorns were running under Davis in '05/'06 - just a massively different approach to practice pace. Buechele was splitting snaps no worse than 50/50 through much of the Spring while Colt was getting scraps during his redshirt season. By the time Buechele takes the field against ND, I'll wager that he'll have thrown as many or more practice balls than Colt had when he took the field against tOSU. How much that will matter under live fire remains to be seen, but it's probably accurate to think of him as something between a redshirt freshman and a garden-variety thrown-into-the-fire true frosh.

Now, the surrounding talent disparity is...substantially larger.

a. I think Burt or Collin Johnson would/could have started on that 2005 team. Jordan would have started as a freshman in 2004.

b. I think the redshirt season advantage from Colt is somewhat washed away by the early arrival of Buechele this spring. Other than scout team work and suiting up for games, it wasn't a major advantage IMO.

This is how I look at it when comparing the stinkers of Mack Brown to Charlie Strong. I'd define stinkers as games where you either lose by 18+ points or your offense fails to score 10 or more points in a game. Here's how they compare:

During Mack's meaningful tenure at UT from 1998-2009 (before he quit on the job and things got off the rails), in 12 seasons and 155 total games played, Mack lost 7 games by 18+ points and had 7 games where his teams failed to score 10 points.

In 2 seasons and 25 total games played, Strong has lost 9 games by 18+ points, and had 7 games where his teams failed to score 10 points.

Mack averaged one stinker every 17.2 games. Charlie has averaged one stinker every 2.8 games. In fact, Strong could go the next 10 seasons without a single stinker game and he would STILL have more than Mack had in his first 12 seasons.
great post

Reactions: Buda Horn
It's going to be like this forever.
I don't think you're right. I KNOW you are. It's sad and pathetic. I've bad mouthed Dallas and Jerry on this board, to my dad, and they don't want to hear it. I get no pleasure from it, but they're a dysfunctional organization. Not all Cowboy fans, but many have they're head in the sand. Jerry has been doing the same things since Jimmy left and hasn't learned anything. Every 11-12 win season is mirage with no real bedrock to stand on.

Honestly, I just show up for the game and that's it. I don't read anything about the team anymore. I'm pretty much indifferent, but I still love to watch the games with my Dad. That's about the only reason to watch anymore, at least for me.

Reactions: Horn19
Please forgive the nostalgia from 1969, but I would love to see a Red Zone offense that looks like: RB - Foreman, Warren & (pick your #3 RB; QB - Swoopes/Heard; Formation - Wishbone.

As far as the upcoming political contest: I'm pretty sure that most of the alumni of A&M, Baylor, TCU, W.V., OK, OK State, Kansas & Kansas State will line up with "The Donald". That alone is enough to get me lined up on the other side.

Regarding the future of the Big 12; It seems a foregone conclusion that the current national order will fracture and leave us with 5 or Mega conferences. If every thing is going to change anyway, I suggest that, as it always has been, is the logical organizing principal. How does a Big 12 of Texas, OK, OK State, Missouri, Arkansas, LSU and U of H, plus (fill in with the best of the weak rest). I have included U of H because of its bright future (Tier I), and because I'm sick of the SEC cherrypicking Texas talent.

"Am I crazy for thinking that Dicock Origi needs to be Jurgen Klopp’s first-choice striker ahead of Daniel Sturridge? He’s more consistent, has a higher work-rate and plays with as much pace as anyone in the Premier League."

Ketch - if history is an indicator, Sturridge will be healthy enough to make maybe 20 starts this year, so Origi will get plenty of time. Reds were a different team when Sturridge got back to form last spring. Hopefully the new MFs will be up to speed, and still holding out hope that our defense can rise up.

4. Memphis (I’ve been surprised by the love Memphis seems to be getting)
Most sensible geography, affordable away games for teams, cheap and fun road trip, good basketball program and fan support, North Mississippi as a recruiting area especially for Bball, and not the least, FedEx is going to pay whatever it takes to get them in including developing facilities, Big12 championship game, etc. Frankly, it makes a lot of sense when you consider all of the options are pretty weak and you will need all of them to step up immensely over the next several years to preserve the conference.

Reactions: cordpetee
"Am I crazy for thinking that Dicock Origi needs to be Jurgen Klopp’s first-choice striker ahead of Daniel Sturridge? He’s more consistent, has a higher work-rate and plays with as much pace as anyone in the Premier League."

Ketch - if history is an indicator, Sturridge will be healthy enough to make maybe 20 starts this year, so Origi will get plenty of time. Reds were a different team when Sturridge got back to form last spring. Hopefully the new MFs will be up to speed, and still holding out hope that our defense can rise up.
Klopp loves him some Origi.

I've been to Ames for a game. The Arby's was exquisite.

Ames is basically Northern College Station. It's a College Town with a huge emphasis on engineering and veterinary medicine. The biggest difference is the fan base is comprised of nice people, who aren't used to winning (at football) and they pat you on the back when you show up in burnt orange and your team doesn't penetrate the 50 yard line on more than 2 possessions en route to leaving a goose egg on the scoreboard. It's like going to a game in Lincoln without all the smug, forced hospitality.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather stay in Boston or Denver when traveling to away Longhorn games. But with a game at Iowa State you can stay 30 minutes away in Des Moines, a very underrated city. Give me that over Manhattan (2 hours from KC), Lawrence (an hour from KC), Morgantown (2 hours from Pittsburgh), Stillwater (an hour from OKC) or anywhere in Utah if the Big 12 added BYU (except Park City, that place is awesome.) I'll concede that I haven't been to Morgantown and Stillwater, and maybe those are fun cities to stay in for a game. But let's not make Iowa out to be a wasteland.

And that Arby's is BADA$$!!

Reactions: drunk randoke
The plus side of that for Shane is not only that he's an early enrollee, but he's in a system that probably runs 70% more total reps in practice than the Longhorns were running under Davis in '05/'06 - just a massively different approach to practice pace. Buechele was splitting snaps no worse than 50/50 through much of the Spring while Colt was getting scraps during his redshirt season. By the time Buechele takes the field against ND, I'll wager that he'll have thrown as many or more practice balls than Colt had when he took the field against tOSU. How much that will matter under live fire remains to be seen, but it's probably accurate to think of him as something between a redshirt freshman and a garden-variety thrown-into-the-fire true frosh.

Now, the surrounding talent disparity is...substantially larger.

That's a fair point about the number of practice reps that Gilbert fits into a practice compared to the number of reps that all teams in 2006 ran during a practice.

Let's just hope that Buechele gets the majority of reps during fall camp rather than giving all his reps to Swoopes/Heard before naming Buechele the starter the Monday before Notre Dame.

Reactions: SMS777
Most sensible geography, affordable away games for teams, cheap and fun road trip, good basketball program and fan support, North Mississippi as a recruiting area especially for Bball, and not the least, FedEx is going to pay whatever it takes to get them in including developing facilities, Big12 championship game, etc. Frankly, it makes a lot of sense when you consider all of the options are pretty weak and you will need all of them to step up immensely over the next several years to preserve the conference.

Good job on that Lurking 6 year drought for a first post!!;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT