ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (3 things Shane can do to be like Colt)

FYI - I think it's highly doubtful Texas would ever play any football games at UConn's stadium in Hartford. I would almost guarantee Texas would demand those games be played at Metlife Stadium for them to agree to Uconn (or at least every other trip). And the vast majority of UConn's alumni are in NYC and Greenwich/Stamford/Norwalk...it's about a 30 minute train ride from NYC and 1-1.5 hour train ride from any of the Westchester / CT towns directly to Metlife. So I'd bet most of their alumni would prefer that to the drive to (and hotel / dining options) East Hartford.

This is how I look at it when comparing the stinkers of Mack Brown to Charlie Strong. I'd define stinkers as games where you either lose by 18+ points or your offense fails to score 10 or more points in a game. Here's how they compare:

During Mack's meaningful tenure at UT from 1998-2009 (before he quit on the job and things got off the rails), in 12 seasons and 155 total games played, Mack lost 7 games by 18+ points and had 7 games where his teams failed to score 10 points.

In 2 seasons and 25 total games played, Strong has lost 9 games by 18+ points, and had 7 games where his teams failed to score 10 points.

Mack averaged one stinker every 17.2 games. Charlie has averaged one stinker every 2.8 games. In fact, Strong could go the next 10 seasons without a single stinker game and he would STILL have more than Mack had in his first 12 seasons.
Having Ricky and Major and a decent offensive line sure helps a coach look like a winner. Strong had absolutely nothing in these areas.

I was sizing up Colt and Shane by the photograph. First I compared ear level since Colt has a hat. Shane appears 2 inches shorter. Then I compared eye level. Shane is now just a half inch short. I will never compare ear level with Colt again! Seriously, Shane will need to be special to handle the pressure of true frosh starter, at QB. I think it is way too much to trot him in against ND for the first snap. If he goes 4-13 for 22 yards and 2 pics, he will have a failure alert asterisk on the boards! Colt was special as a RS Frosh. Huge difference. Shane should be getting fitted for prom. I say he plays, but doesn't start. The biggest key will be subbing in the right QB for each situation. The committee has more to offer this year. Shane very likely will get starts as the season progresses. Not Notre Dame on Sunday national TV. If I'm wrong, and he leads the offense up and down the field from the first snap, he should be considered a rare, rare find. Easy on the expectations.

As for Heard. I still sense he is in some secret doghouse, and then injured, more than he suddenly can't play QB. He's hurt for Spring and rumors have him switching positions. He's healthy, and suddenly he has value. Mentioned almost as to not have Heard lose focus. I just get a vibe he is serving out some penance for losing focus in some way. I have watched too many games from last season replayed on LHN to say he is unusable at QB.

McNeil is getting a bit of a stigma over the last year. Seems the reports are unchanging. Everybody gets a pass for the new offensive system, but still the same reports on one player.

UCONN?!?! Yeesh!! If NYC wasan attraction to join, I would look at schools closer to NYC. Which would be stupid as shyte criteria, unless in the death throws. From a business perspective, and one targeting a successful future, I would also dump anything with 'State' or 'Central' in the name. Houston would further entrench the B12 in a top 5 market. Often the improvement in a large market is better than picking up two midlevel (at best) TV markets. Would the jump in the Dallas market and SMU be more than a midlevel? Possibly. Advertisers pay big money to sell beer, pickup trucks and boner pills. What market is freakin' Lamar, Colorado?

That said, why the rush? One minute I hear a willingness to expand. Then, there is a rush to quickly choose from the less desirables. Hold on there, Dirty Harry. I'll submit within a season or two a few major teams of interest will become disenchanted with their conference. Better than anything currently considered. The cute girls won't dance with you if you are constantly seen on the floor with the wallflowers. Wow, I sure learned that one the hard way!

Hookem

I really feel like Mcneal just needs a full game to get in a groove. Hoping Utep will be the game for him to get into a good rhythm and show he belongs. I haven't written him off just yet especially from reports and not actual game action (excluding the 2 quarters of a spring game). Really like to hear that Collin has progressed even further. The "Heard package" sounds very interesting and glad to hear they are trying to work him into getting the ball into his hands. Further more the fact that they are talking about Heard and Swoopes "Package's" tells me Shane is the starter

This is how I look at it when comparing the stinkers of Mack Brown to Charlie Strong. I'd define stinkers as games where you either lose by 18+ points or your offense fails to score 10 or more points in a game. Here's how they compare:

During Mack's meaningful tenure at UT from 1998-2009 (before he quit on the job and things got off the rails), in 12 seasons and 155 total games played, Mack lost 7 games by 18+ points and had 7 games where his teams failed to score 10 points.

In 2 seasons and 25 total games played, Strong has lost 9 games by 18+ points, and had 7 games where his teams failed to score 10 points.

Mack averaged one stinker every 17.2 games. Charlie has averaged one stinker every 2.8 games. In fact, Strong could go the next 10 seasons without a single stinker game and he would STILL have more than Mack had in his first 12 seasons.

I think Mack was a great coach second only to DKR and Charlie's sure had more than his share of stinkers in the first two seasons, but comparing Mack's best run with Charlie's first two is hardly a fair comparison.

A closer comparison would be Mack's first two seasons here, handicapping because he also had one of the all-time UT greats at QB and a Heisman Trophy winner at RB, compared to Charlie having at QB and RB . . . well . . .

Not sure I agree after watching the UCLA and OU butt kicking we received under Mack. Those 60 point games were brutal.
To be fair to Mack UCLA was in the first half of his first year

Now I can agree with you on OU especially 2012.. that was just nauseating

I find Shane to be an appreciably better QB than Colt at the same true frosh year. Hell, I think Shane very likely is better as a pure QB than Colt was in '06. Shane likely won't have quite the supporting cast, but as a single player he has the superior skill set.

Reactions: paleohorn
I think Mack was a great coach second only to DKR and Charlie's sure had more than his share of stinkers in the first two seasons, but comparing Mack's best run with Charlie's first two is hardly a fair comparison.

A closer comparison would be Mack's first two seasons here, handicapping because he also had one of the all-time UT greats at QB and a Heisman Trophy winner at RB, compared to Charlie having at QB and RB . . . well . . .

Agree with this. I know, I know, here we go again on the comparisons, but the four last Mack years had a downward trajectory - I think most would agree with; and you'd also be right in that Mack only had 2-3 stinkers per year in 3 of those 4 (using that subjective definition). But Mack's last year had 5 stinkers. The talent level or lack thereof was awful - and then losing Ash, was just so hard to overcome.

Charlie has to raise the bar - it appears that he is on his way - here's hoping we get there sooner rather than later.

great post

Must be nice to simply disregard 4 whole seasons in order to bolster an argument. I mean, I guess I coukd argue that Charlie's first 2 years don't count because he inherited a program put together by a HC who didn't bother to work the preceeding 4 years.

Buechele won't touch that TD/INT ratio because A) it's absurdly, absurdly good, B) he's being protected by freshmen and sophomores rather than NFL-bound seniors and C) those freshmen and sophs will be better run blockers than pass blockers and Texas will lean more heavily on the run game, particularly inside the 10 yard line.

If Buechele matches Colt's health (injured in one game and playing hurt in another) he's likely to put up a bigger yardage total as a simple function of pace, though that depends somewhat on how often the 18-Wheeler and Slash packages for Heard come into play. 8.1 yards per attempt would be a tremendous achievement for Buechele but not totally unthinkable given the downfield nature of the offense. And even with some "easy button" throws and the presence (finally) of a well-designed WR screen game, Buechele won't sniff a 68% completion rate.
Ok

I hate you for sounding so reasonable, damn you!

I find Shane to be an appreciably better QB than Colt at the same true frosh year. Hell, I think Shane very likely is better as a pure QB than Colt was in '06. Shane likely won't have quite the supporting cast, but as a single player he has the superior skill set.
how in the world could you possibly make that statement at this point?

Reactions: Dos Horns
Must be nice to simply disregard 4 whole seasons in order to bolster an argument. I mean, I guess I coukd argue that Charlie's first 2 years don't count because he inherited a program put together by a HC who didn't bother to work the preceeding 4 years.
but that would be lazy

how in the world could you possibly make that statement at this point?

I'm not sure how one can't reasonably argue that as true frosh Buechele is the better of the 2. Shane played against vastly superior comp coming in. I also believe he's physically better at the same stage. I also saw a guy in the spring game make throws with velocity that Colt certainly didn't have at the same. And while one play the "film room rat" card for Colt against a lot of guys, it's pretty much a given that it doesn't work against Buechele. Then there is Buechele's upbringing by a longtime professional athlete. Honestly, as true frosh it's not real cLose. And I think while Buechele might not have the raw numbers his first season as Colt, I think heis going to really shine particularly when factor in the somewhat weaker supporting cast. I'm on the Buechele train. I suggest you not get left at the station.

Re Sumlin as Aggy HC, better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Want nothing more than to see Sumlin remain at Aggy for the term of his contract and then multiple extensions afterwards. Aggy is stuck in reverse and going absolutely nowhere.
Yup, Herman waiting in the wings to take over that train wreck.

Anyone else notice the text get smaller? Page 1-3 was fine, but starting on page 4 it seems the font dropped 2 or 4 sizes.

Fix please!

I've been a di
"As a Cowboys fan, I’m already resigned to the fact that 2016 is going to be painful. I see very little reason for hope."

Ketch, to your knowledge, does Rolando McClain have naked pictures of Jerry? If ever a guy was trying to get cut it's RM. He's virtually the only notable player that didn't work out with the team. He shows up to mini-camp out of shape. The coaches were furious. He gets suspended for 10 games. He no shows to the team flight and apparently is AWOL.

AND STILL.... He remains on the roster. Based on what I've inferred from various readings, Jerry is the reason they don't cut him. When the league announced he was suspended for 10 games, the Cowboys should've cut him 5 minutes later. But they didn't because they have an incompetent, narcissistic, ego-maniacal fool for a General Manager.

I've been a die hard Cowboys fans since 1992, and frankly I'm almost at a my breaking point. They'll never win I'm afraid as long as that man runs this organization the way he does. Stephen needs to take the car keys away from the old man. Garrett should show some balls every so often and publicly voice his displeasure ala Bill Parcells (groceries). Enough is enough!
Ive been a die hard fan since before the ice bowl with Green Bay (got my ass whooped by my dad for throwing a fit after Starr scored). So the Jerry tenure , since adding TO have been, have been gut wrenching. I simply can't watch them.

I'm not sure how one can't reasonably argue that as true frosh Buechele is the better of the 2. Shane played against vastly superior comp coming in. I also believe he's physically better at the same stage. I also saw a guy in the spring game make throws with velocity that Colt certainly didn't have at the same. And while one play the "film room rat" card for Colt against a lot of guys, it's pretty much a given that it doesn't work against Buechele. Then there is Buechele's upbringing by a longtime professional athlete. Honestly, as true frosh it's not real cLose. And I think while Buechele might not have the raw numbers his first season as Colt, I think heis going to really shine particularly when factor in the somewhat weaker supporting cast. I'm on the Buechele train. I suggest you not get left at the station.
ok

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT