ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A Brave New World Awaits...)

Ketch, I really appreciate the way you look at, an explain, things without a jaundiced eye. You do call it as fairly as possible. Not the homer hype of so many mods. Thanks
Thanks. I might end up being wrong, but you'll always know I'm not running some sort of con game on you. ;)

Reactions: samthehorn
Just so happens that I teach American film history here in Japan...my top/bottom 3 and 2 cents:

TOP 3: 1. 2001 - Only film I've seen that succeeds at conveying the profound mysteries of the universe and our very tiny place in it on an emotionally visceral level. The million year jump cut 20m in is an amazing cinematic moment. People who overthink it don't like it, just sit back and soak it all in--much, much better in a theater. 2. Vertigo - Very powerfully haunting look at the deadly power of soul-consuming romantic obsession. The basic theme of the whole movie can be felt through the helplessly dizzying freefall into Kim Novak's soul during the opening credits. 3. Graduate - Wickedly brilliant expose of shallow American materialism. Some say the S&G music is out of place, but this is the only thing that conveys a contrast to the loud yet vacuously glittery middle class. My favorite scene: the toast popping up!

Bottom 3 : WSS - some memorable songs but nothing too profound. Singing in the Rain - dance scenes are amazing, but the story is weak--not much of a romantic spark. Princess Bride - I know some love it but it seems to basically be a nerdy cult movie to me without a serious theme of any kind.

Hook 'em!

Just so happens that I teach American film history here in Japan...my top/bottom 3 and 2 cents:

TOP 3: 1. 2001 - Only film that attempts to convey the profound mysteries of the universe and our very tiny place in it on an emotionally visceral level. The million year jump cut 20m in is an amazing cinematic moment. People who overthink it don't like it, just sit back and soak it all in--much, much better in a theater. 2. Vertigo - Very powerfully haunting look at the deadly power of soul-consuming romantic obsession. The basic theme of the whole movie can be felt through the helplessly dizzying freefall into Kim Novak's soul during the opening credits. 3. Graduate - Wickedly brilliant expose of shallow American materialism. Some say the S&G music is out of place, but this is the only thing that conveys a contrast to the loud yet vacuously glittery middle class. My favorite scene: the toast popping up!

Bottom 3 : WSS - some memorable songs but nothing too profound. Singing in the Rain - dance scenes are amazing, but the story is weak--not much of a romantic spark. Princess Bride - I know some love it but it seems to basically be a nerdy cult movie to me without a serious theme of any kind.

Hook 'em!
Thanks for sharing!

@Ketchum
Forgive me in advance? I think you get a huge pass on this list with the exception of 3 and 4. The rest are honestly meh. Don't waste your time.

10. M*A*S*H
9. Bonnie and Clyde
8. The Wild Bunch
7. The Searchers
6. Vertigo
5. West Side Story
4. The Princess Bride (I don't believe I've ever seen it from beginning to end)
3. The Graduate
2. Singin' in the Rain
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2001: A Space Odyssey is "meh?" LOL. It's one of the great movies of the last 60 years. For the time it was made, the technological accomplishments alone make it special...

Reactions: Gary1980

TOP 3: 1. 2001 - Only film I've seen that succeeds at conveying the profound mysteries of the universe and our very tiny place in it on an emotionally visceral level. The million year jump cut 20m in is an amazing cinematic moment. People who overthink it don't like it, just sit back and soak it all in--much, much better in a theater. 2. Vertigo - Very powerfully haunting look at the deadly power of soul-consuming romantic obsession. The basic theme of the whole movie can be felt through the helplessly dizzying freefall into Kim Novak's soul during the opening credits. 3. Graduate - Wickedly brilliant expose of shallow American materialism. Some say the S&G music is out of place, but this is the only thing that conveys a contrast to the loud yet vacuously glittery middle class. My favorite scene: the toast popping up!

Hook 'em!
Not a shocker that someone from academia would not be as high on Princess Bride. :)

Agree 100% with the descriptions of the top 3.

Reactions: rustynote
@Ketchum

When Sarkisian gets that Alabama offense rolling on Monday with the likes of Heisman winner DeVonta Smith, Najee Harris and possibly even former Texas prep star Jaylen Waddle, understand that what we're watching is the zenith of the sport.

woof, talk about hyperbole

Hendrix might not quite be ready. He's tough to keep still.
how old is he? My youngest is 9 (was 8 when we watched) and if movie doesn't grab his attention quick there is no chance. He loved it.

If the worst thing we can say about this coaching staff is that it'll be the best the program has seen in a decade, that’s progress.​

I agree its progress. but "The Best (insert anything here) in the last decade of Texas Football" is a very low bar.

Princess Bride would be a great movie when you need to make your wife happy while actually enjoying the movie yourself. The Graduate - ditto.

@Suchomel promised to watch a couple of weeks ago.

I’ll allow him some more time considering Texas had a coaching change.
Yeah, might take me a week or two longer than expected.

For the record, I have seen two of the movies on the list @Ketchum put out, so there's that! I've seen The Princess Bride and The Graduate.

It's on of the greatest offenses in the history of college football. Is that what you're disputing?
thats fair, I just don’t think it’s the best ever, or the best that will ever be

Last edited:
ex

thats fair, I just don’t think it’s the best ever, or the best that will ever be
Best ever is so subjective. It's in an incredibly small group of offenses. That it's being spoken about in the same breath as LSU from last season is kind of my point.

Reactions: J Tull
Yeah, might take me a week or two longer than expected.

For the record, I have seen two of the movies on the list @Ketchum put out, so there's that! I've seen The Princess Bride and The Graduate.
Dude you need to watch The Godfather I and II. You'll be so pissed at yourself afterward that you'd been missing out for so long!!

I'm not sure it's going to have an A+ DC, but the staff as a whole might be A or A-
Gideon intrigues me. He's obviously very young and doesn't have the track record of experience of the other coaches that are rumored to be hired. I hope that Sark has a eye for talent and that he has seen something in Gideon that he really likes beyond just the fact that he's familiar with Texas and UT.

If the worst thing we can say about this coaching staff is that it'll be the best the program has seen in a decade, that’s progress.

If true, that is sad and is one explanation for our slide.

IMO Princess Bride is one of two movies (Chinatown being the other) that throw a perfect game - e.g., all the scenes are great on their own + move the story.

Reactions: batmang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT