ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A damn good free-for-all in Texas...)

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has become my favorite QT movie and the film rewards multiple rewatches.

It’s a great hangout movie that I love watching.

Brad deserved his Oscar.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
Enjoyed your article, Ketch!

(1) Oscars got it right in most categories last night. Honored great performances and a fascinating thriller in Parasite. Agree on Brad Pitt's role as likely his most memorable/likable. He owned that role.

(2) '95 Virginia game at DKR- shout out as Top 10 under-rated. Both teams top 15 and VA scores very late to lead 16-14. James Brown leads a choppy final drive, and Phil Dawson nails a 50 yd FG into the wind on the final play. Big win nationally in a comeback year for UT.

Reactions: Gus McCrea
Enjoyed the Top 10 Wins, says a lot that ...

1. Only 1 of 10 in the last 15 years

2. We're reduced to reliving the far past, because the present and near past is so disappointing

3. We're reduced to checking out UT players in the XFL, because their not doing anything in the NFL

4. We're reduced to focusing on Women's softball because they are the only team living up to UT's standards of excellence and expectations

CDC has a lot of work to do and I hope he knows it.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has become my favorite QT movie and the film rewards multiple rewatches.

It’s a great hangout movie that I love watching.

Brad deserved his Oscar.
It's up there for me as well. It'll definitely be rewatched a ton.

(1) Oscars got it right in most categories last night. Honored great performances and a fascinating thriller in Parasite. Agree on Brad Pitt's role as likely his most memorable/likable. He owned that role.

(2) '95 Virginia game at DKR- shout out as Top 10 under-rated. Both teams top 15 and VA scores very late to lead 16-14. James Brown leads a choppy final drive, and Phil Dawson nails a 50 yd FG into the wind on the final play. Big win nationally in a comeback year for UT.
The thing about the UVA game is that it was kind of a dreadful performance for most of the game. Mackovic did all kinds of stupid game management stuff, including a hair-brained Matt Davis pass into the teeth of the wind when his offense was marching down the field to take the lead.

It is remembered for the Dawson field goal, but the game itself was very forgettable.

Reactions: c.c.rider
Enjoyed the Top 10 Wins, says a lot that ...

1. Only 1 of 10 in the last 15 years

2. We're reduced to reliving the far past, because the present and near past is so disappointing

3. We're reduced to checking out UT players in the XFL, because their not doing anything in the NFL

4. We're reduced to focusing on Women's softball because they are the only team living up to UT's standards of excellence and expectations

CDC has a lot of work to do and I hope he knows it.
giphy.gif

Reactions: bbussell1
While my football IQ would never challenge for a membership in football Mensa, I feel like the number one area to target in recruiting EVERY year is offensive line. I don't care if we would already be working with an entire starting line-up and two-deep of 5-star recruits. Having lived through the periods where O-line was neglected, really, the quality of the offensive skilled positions is meaningless without the big uglies leading the way.

Honestly, I don't believe that all. I think the reality is he hasn't come close to having the big success on the field that would have him cleaning up in-state. Herman's two biggest coaching mentors are Mack and Urban. Along the way he's been at the Rices and Iowa States of the world to see up close the struggles programs have that have pretty much zero hope of having talent advantages. IMO, if Herman could take the top 15 guys in the state every year he would do in a heartbeat with the proven belief that the development would pretty much take care of itself.

Herman can win the conference developing top 20 in-state recruits, but that's not going to be enough to turn Texas into one of the handful of elite playoff programs. To win playoff games, we're going to have to start landing as many national top 70 prospects as Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, tOSU and LSU continue to accumulate.

While my football IQ would never challenge for a membership in football Mensa, I feel like the number one area to target in recruiting EVERY year is offensive line. I don't care if we would already be working with an entire starting line-up and two-deep of 5-star recruits. Having lived through the periods where O-line was neglected, really, the quality of the offensive skilled positions is meaningless without the big uglies leading the way.
Offensive tackle would probably be my No.4

a. Haven't seen Uncut Gems yet. I'll see it when it hits streaming.

b. Don't really have plans to see Birds of Prey in the theater, but it has good audience scores.
Uncut Gems is a tough watch, but IMO it is an exceptional film. The writing, acting and direction are impressive. You’ll have newfound respect for Sandler.

I can’t explain positive reviews for BoP - just a bad flick.

Uncut Gems is a tough watch, but IMO it is an exceptional film. The writing, acting and direction are impressive. You’ll have newfound respect for Sandler.

I can’t explain positive reviews for BoP - just a bad flick.
Interesting. I've heard from people who've seen Uncut Gems that it's completely overrated, even if Sandler is good in it.

Just to make sure my point did not get misinterpreted ... I'm cool with this weeks "10 Thoughts" column, just frustrated with the material you have to work with (i.e., state of UT sports).
No, I feel you. I completely got your point.

Honestly, I don't believe that all. I think the reality is he hasn't come close to having the big success on the field that would have him cleaning up in-state. Herman's two biggest coaching mentors are Mack and Urban. Along the way he's been at the Rices and Iowa States of the world to see up close the struggles programs have that have pretty much zero hope of having talent advantages. IMO, if Herman could take the top 15 guys in the state every year he would do in a heartbeat with the proven belief that the development would pretty much take care of itself.
Of course. I’m talking about hiring coaches. We can have a debate about whether he would be able to entice coaches with more sizzle to come, but I think he probably could have in at least a couple spots. The bigger point is the landscape didn’t shift under his feet while he dicked around with an inferior staff to the point where he can’t still potentially capitalize.

Reactions: RLong68
Not the loss against Texas Tech on Saturday. Not the previous game against Baylor. Not any of the games against teams with a solid pulse all season.

Just let this season end, already.
=============================================

You know what is going to happen, of course. While the season should end after the first game of the idiotic conference tournament, and while that is what most fans would want (given we are not going to make the tournament that counts), we will go again to the NIT. And probably get to New York. And quite possibly win it, which will make this season a copy of last season. And no progress will have been achieved at all with these guys.

And it also means that the season that needs to die will go on until the actual real final four as TV filler for ESPN.

Yuck.

I wonder if we will ever see Jaxon in a dunk contest! That dude is ridiculous around the rim

Liked the list of underrated wins.

The one that I thought of pretty quickly after reading the topic that you didn't list was 2004 at Texas Tech. This was maybe Vince Young's biggest shut up the critics game.

Texas had been shut out 12-0 by OU, and then beaten Missouri at home 28-20. But even the Missouri win was pretty ragged and if I recall VY did not have a very good game. I remember that going into the game at Tech the next week, there was some doubt about where the team was going, and if it was a team that could win out.

And of course Texas went out and dominated Tech, we moved the ball at will, and the defense led by Greg Robinson shut the Leach offense down to the extent we really had not seen very often.

I always thought Simms under-used (under-targeted) BJ during his time here.

Believe me, I get the urge to get the ball to Roy as much as possible, but BJ was a weapon as well.

Always felt Major made better use of BJ.... Especially in his bigger comebacks....

Was that just my major-prejudiced mindset?
I think its your major prejudiced mindset.

Off the top of my head I can think of as many big plays to BJ from Chris as I can from Major. But that is in no way conclusive evidence that you are not correct.

Reactions: bigeye6912
I just generally don't care about recruiting which is strange as I used to obsess over it. Until I see better coaching and on the field performance with a roster that should be winning more, I just don't really care about recruiting. And I know you need top talent to win big.

Interesting that you think the 2021 class has its collective mind already made up. Don't see how that can be the case with so many left uncommitted. Doubt that players like the Brockermeyers and Wheaton have their minds made up already.

'95 Virginia. Good catch. That game is why Texas went on to win the SWC in 1995.

First, it proved to them that they could be a pretty good defensive team. Not great, but pretty good, which was a huge step up from the previous Mackovic teams.

Second, UVA was a damn good, well coached team. A week or two after that game they defeated Florida State (who nobody in the ACC beat back then) on a highly watched Thursday night game. And I think that game gave our team a lot of confidence. Texas went out and completely destroyed Texas Tech two days later, then kept playing good football all the way up to the Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: harpethhorn
Liked the list of underrated wins.

The one that I thought of pretty quickly after reading the topic that you didn't list was 2004 at Texas Tech. This was maybe Vince Young's biggest shut up the critics game.

Texas had been shut out 12-0 by OU, and then beaten Missouri at home 28-20. But even the Missouri win was pretty ragged and if I recall VY did not have a very good game. I remember that going into the game at Tech the next week, there was some doubt about where the team was going, and if it was a team that could win out.

And of course Texas went out and dominated Tech, we moved the ball at will, and the defense led by Greg Robinson shut the Leach offense down to the extent we really had not seen very often.
It was seriously considered. Good call.

'95 Virginia. Good catch. That game is why Texas went on to win the SWC in 1995.

First, it proved to them that they could be a pretty good defensive team. Not great, but pretty good, which was a huge step up from the previous Mackovic teams.

Second, UVA was a damn good, well coached team. A week or two after that game they defeated Florida State (who nobody in the ACC beat back then) on a highly watched Thursday night game. And I think that game gave our team a lot of confidence. Texas went out and completely destroyed Texas Tech two days later, then kept playing good football all the way up to the Sugar Bowl.
It. Was. A. Bad. Game.;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT