ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A disaster followed by.... not sure)

Ivan’s season is so unbelievably historic that it has allowed Murphy Stehly to have one of the best offensive performances in the last decade plus at Texas go almost completely unrecognized. Think he is 9th all time now for most HR in a single season. Without looking I bet he will be all time top 10 single season at Texas in at least two other offensive categories as well.

I didn’t ask that question, but I’m still waiting.

My favorite U2 song is Elvis Presley and America and it’s not even close. However, I understand why it’s not on the list as it was never a “single” and I’m a bit maudlin. Bono crushes on this song - one of their more complex, layered songs - with a great assist from Larry Mullen’s drums.

And very good list nonetheless.

Like most bands that have been around for decades, there are phases that makes coming up with a list difficult. Personally, very little after Joshua Tree made me excited. Sadly, U2 will always be that band I loved in my high school years, but I never enjoyed their more commercially successful hits.
good stuff!

I'd agree with that statement. Let's just remember who is tricking us guys. I'm more of a fan of looking at # of top 100 prospects, line recruiting, and recruiting to fit your scheme.

My primary point is that stars and class ratings are just a measure of potential. Because we have a lot of stars and high class ratings does not mean that all of that potential has translated into talent.
I've been quite open about the tricking part. I'm trying to educate... constantly.

Development, development and more development.

How about Angel of Harlem and When Love Comes to Town? Those are strong tunes.

Also, check out Chris Cornell doing the music of U2’s One, but with the lyrics of Metallica’s One.
Angel of Harlem is a great song.

I'm a bigger BB King fan than U2...where is, When Love Comes to Town? Com'on Man
My BB King list.

10. How Blue Can You Get?

B.B. is short for “Blues Boy”.

9. To Know You Is To Love You

He was enlisted in the US Army in 1943, but didn’t fight in World War II because he knew how to drive a tractor and that skill was needed back home.

8. You Upset Me, Baby

Legend has it that the first “Lucille” was named after he left his guitar in a burning dance hall in Arkansas and risked his life to go back inside to get it. Apparently, Lucille was the name of the woman that inspired a fight that led to the burning dance hall.

7. Why I Sing the Blues

Must-watch video here, as Stevie and Clapton get on stage with B.B.

6. Chains and Things

Was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.

5. Every Day I Have the Blues

King was once awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush.

4. Don’t Answer the Door

King won a total of 15 Grammys.

3. Three O’Clock Blues

His first hit song back in 1951.

2. Sweet 16

His first name is Riley.

1. The Thrill is Gone

I’m not saying that this had to be the No.1 song, but it kind of felt like it.

Cannot believe this post was allowed without mentioning women's tennis or softball.

SHAME

a. The softball team was in the middle of a game when I posted the article. Not sure what you'd have me say about a regional final that hadn't been played.

b. There's a reason why it's the bottom of page two and you're the first to mention the tennis omission.

c. any thoughts on what I did write?

Not a huge U2 fan. But enough to have a U2 playlist. Made me go look to see what I put at the top. I’ll list 15 since it isn’t a true top 10 list…

With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky
Even Better Than the Real Thing
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
Mysterious Ways
New Year’s Day
Desire
One
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
When Love Comes to Town
All I Want is You
Beautiful Day
Where the Streets Have No Name
The Fly
good list

I don't know how you make an NIL power list and not have Texas on it.

Who are the NIL powers?

I suppose you are only counting over the counter legitimate NIL deals

Right now I might only put A&M on the list of NIL powers - maybe you aren’t counting that as NIL compensation- but I’m just looking at the results and you know better than anyone the value of all those five stars

I’m not saying Texas isn’t doing ok in NIL - second tier ? I just don’t see power

Ewers was a big pickup but was that really NIL related or out open depth chart / him wanting playing time / us being a big brand name and big potential stage / childhood favorite etc

When I think NIL power I think picking up players you wouldn’t have gotten otherwise - we’ve picked up some offensive players to an offense that had a good year last year

Not buying this is Saban's last season at Bama. He didn't like up tempo spread offenses, so he decided to become the best at it....4 Heisman Winners in the last 15 seasons at a school that had never had one. Let's not forget, despite Aggy finishing #1, Bama was right there at #2. If you listened to Saban's entire speech, it was as much a damning indictment of the NCAA for not enforcing the rules, as much as it was slamming the Aggies. NIL was originally meant to take care of the players on campus, and there is supposedly wording that directly speaks to it NOT being used as a recruiting inducement to HS kids...that obviously happened at A&M. Saban is very likely going to win another natty, and end up with a top 3 class, like always..
Agree. absent a health issue I think there is close to zero chance he would possibly retire. I wouldn’t bet anything on Saban retiring. He always adapts eventually and he’s too competitive to walk away over Jimbo. Saban wasn’t wrong about aggy at all. He’s hypocritical but he wasn’t wrong. The defending of Jimbo from some has been strange. He’s basically Kevin Sumlin at A&M that can recruit better when dropping bags that some idiots in the media pretends are NIL deals. Even their own AD admits most of the incoming guys dont have actual NIL deals

I disagree... Saban plans on staying.

Here is why...
"Saban told a group of local business leaders that "A&M bought every player" in its top-ranked 2022 recruiting class with "a deal for name, image, likeness."

He wasn't complaining or trying to change the system. He was recruiting.

The audience was local business leaders. It sounds to me like he was putting the smack down on his NIL money guys. He probably said that if Alabama wants to land 5* players, NIL money is a genuine requirement.

Manning will be there is a couple of weeks and someone must have an idea on how close they can get to what Arch's agent wants.

Saban wants this. So he wants to be there to have a Manning as a QB.
I don't think he's quite lived the experience yet. He's only in the middle of it, and thus, can't quite anticipate how he'll feel at the end.

Of course, I could end up being wrong.

Not buying this is Saban's last season at Bama. He didn't like up tempo spread offenses, so he decided to become the best at it....4 Heisman Winners in the last 15 seasons at a school that had never had one. Let's not forget, despite Aggy finishing #1, Bama was right there at #2. If you listened to Saban's entire speech, it was as much a damning indictment of the NCAA for not enforcing the rules, as much as it was slamming the Aggies. NIL was originally meant to take care of the players on campus, and there is supposedly wording that directly speaks to it NOT being used as a recruiting inducement to HS kids...that obviously happened at A&M. Saban is very likely going to win another natty, and end up with a top 3 class, like always..
He's losing c-o-n-t-r-o-l.

Ivan’s season is so unbelievably historic that it has allowed Murphy Stehly to have one of the best offensive performances in the last decade plus at Texas go almost completely unrecognized. Think he is 9th all time now for most HR in a single season. Without looking I bet he will be all time top 10 single season at Texas in at least two other offensive categories as well.
Brutal.

I suppose you are only counting over the counter legitimate NIL deals

Right now I might only put A&M on the list of NIL powers - maybe you aren’t counting that as NIL compensation- but I’m just looking at the results and you know better than anyone the value of all those five stars

I’m not saying Texas isn’t doing ok in NIL - second tier ? I just don’t see power

Ewers was a big pickup but was that really NIL related or out open depth chart / him wanting playing time / us being a big brand name and big potential stage / childhood favorite etc

When I think NIL power I think picking up players you wouldn’t have gotten otherwise - we’ve picked up some offensive players to an offense that had a good year last year
A&M is less of an NIL power and more of a paying players creatively off the books (allegedly) kind of way.

Reactions: Boxley
Agree. absent a health issue I think there is close to zero chance he would possibly retire. I wouldn’t bet anything on Saban retiring. He always adapts eventually and he’s too competitive to walk away over Jimbo. Saban wasn’t wrong about aggy at all. He’s hypocritical but he wasn’t wrong. The defending of Jimbo from some has been strange. He’s basically Kevin Sumlin at A&M that can recruit better when dropping bags that some idiots in the media pretends are NIL deals. Even their own AD admits most of the incoming guys dont have actual NIL deals
Zero, huh?

A&M is less of an NIL power and more of a paying players creatively off the books (allegedly) kind of way.

In the new world with no ncaa oversight I’m not sure why I should care about the distinction

Reactions: Gregory I
Emerged as a starter at center for the Longhorns at the end of his true freshman season. He's another player whose development over the course of the next two seasons will largely define how this class is remembered.

Has a Patrick Vahe/Junior Angilau feel. A guy who people are a bit overimpressed with early because of what is surrounding him only to not really get better as he gets older.

Reactions: gold67
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT