ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A moment of great opportunity...)

Ok Ketch... if you had to bet your life savings, would you put it on Urban to Texas or Urban passing on the job?
Tough question. I don't feel good about any answer. I guess I would say passing on the job. because that feels like the safe play woith life savings.

• Sad
Reactions: AndrewfromUTLaw2
@Ketchum assuming the numbers are what you’re hearing and we’re talking 100 mil on Urban alone can you imagine what the assistant’s contracts and total staff numbers are going to look like?!
It could be $150 in committed costs before things are done.

Tommy.thompson said:
Kansas game is canceled
(Buy) Will either side want the game played?

The only reason you cancel the KU game is that you think we'll lose. Otherwise, you'd be validating Cosmi's decision and wasting game experience for kids who deserve to see the field. If you cancel what some kids see as their shot to play for the Horns...then open up the gate to the Transfer Portal.

Reactions: TexasLawnghorn
There is no way, ever, that Messi ranks over Pelé in greatest footballers of all time.
Simply put, when it comes down to it, Messi has been a let down in World Cups, and Pelé led his team to 3 World Cups and 1 runner up in 4 appearances.
If you’re to be considered the second best of ALL TIME, World Cups will always carry a huge weight on where you rank for best of all time. And if you’re going to be the second best of all time, you figure out a way to lead your country’s team to greater things. He has not done that. One final (loss), a couple of quarterfinals and a first round loss. He’s a fantastic player - no doubt, Top 5 all time for sure, but he’s also played for a club team that has played a style absolutely perfect for his skills. It’ll be interesting to see how he does in a highly physical and fast paced league next year.

Side note; that tweeted video of a Maradona is good, but since you didn’t really get into deeply following the until 5 or so years ago, I highly recommend you head to HBO and watch “Diego Maradona”.
It’s truly crazy what he endured in life and even on the field at Napoli where other teams did all they could to get him off the field via fouls / injury.
What about their comparisons at clubs instead of countries?

Which is where CDC lacks. I get it he is great at what he does, and that is raising money and being a peoples AD. Being a blue blood AD means you make the call without thinking optics. I get he wants to get Urban, but to me (and Im in a Minority) but making a move right now would tell Urban how serious we are about getting back to the top. Not just putting the check, but as an AD you are making the call, “we are no longer putting up with mediocrity”.

Tom coming out tomorrow hurts recruiting more than it helps.
Nah, I think it'll be forgotten pretty quickly, no matter what.

And so they can't negative recruit saying he is only here 3 years or something.
A five-year deal would mean that recruits would hear from other schools that he won't be around when the kid that's being recruited is a senior. A 10-year deal avoids that countdown of the clock starting in year two.

Cristian Ronaldo at #6 has to be a joke. Also remember Messi has never won a trophy for his country.
But, his dominance at the club level is such that I felt comfortable with the ranking.

Country success can be a difficult one to pin down on a single player, even if we're quick to want to rush the blame.

Because she didn't have the leg to kick it very far. I wonder how many women soccer players could put it out of the endzone. I wouldn't think very many. Could be wrong of course.
Or because they wanted her to get in a rep without someone taking her head off.

Glad you're not in charge... CDC is literally hours away from saving the University $5M in buyout money. Just because you would do things differently doesn't mean you know what to do.
There's no magical drop in the buyout from what we've seen in the contract. Firing him before the 1st of dec ember would save the school $416K.

So in summary, it looks like the money terms being discussed for Urban is:

1). $10 mil/yr for 10 yrs, or
2). $12 mil/yr for 5 yrs

Among the two, I would think Urban's family would like the 5yr deal better. Its more money in a shorter time, where they can say comfortably "ok, u got 5 yrs, and then ur done forever" sort of family agreement. Not sure, if they would like the thought of Urban coaching another 10yrs if its true about his prior health issues.
I think because of his health history, a 5-year deal is somewhat problematic. I can understand the optics of having a longer deal for protection against negative recruiting against his health.

Reactions: J Tull
@Ketchum I will be upset if we don’t get Meyer, but I will be less upset if we swing for the fences and miss b/c of Meyer’s personal/health concerns.

In your estimation, are we swinging for the fences, or is this just all talk?

(Buy) Will either side want the game played?

The only reason you cancel the KU game is that you think we'll lose. Otherwise, you'd be validating Cosmi's decision and wasting game experience for kids who deserve to see the field. If you cancel what some kids see as their shot to play for the Horns...then open up the gate to the Transfer Portal.
My remark is somewhat tongue in cheek.

Reactions: oktexan
Tough question. I don't feel good about any answer. I guess I would say passing on the job. because that feels like the safe play woith life savings.
Uh oh. Guess we need to put that news on the ESPN Ticker

Let me just say that I understand where Cosmi is coming from. There was scuttlebutt behind the scenes that if the season had been canceled because of COVID, Cosmi would have left for the NFL without ever playing another down for the Longhorns. He's a guy that has seemingly had his eyes on an exit for more than a weekend or two and there's more downside than upside in playing in the final couple of games of the season.

Much like Connor Williams, Cosmi read a lot of his draft hype in the months leading into what was always going to be his final season.

Reactions: horns--21
What about their comparisons at clubs instead of countries?

Look up their career stats on Wikipedia. They both have tremendous stats and honors that go on and on and on.
Messi has more domestic club championships, but don’t forget that in Soain, there are two Tier 1 teams (arM & , and then there’s the rest.
The one accomplishement that simply doesn’t measure up for Messi is the greatest stage. He has fizzled, and to be the second greatest of all time of the #1 sport of the planet you can’t fizzle. ;)
I’m not saying Messi is bad by any means, he’s way up there in all time rankings, he just hasn’t produced where he needs to, to surpass Pelé.

Look up their career stats on Wikipedia. They both have tremendous stats and honors that go on and on and on.
Messi has more domestic club championships, but don’t forget that in Soain, there are two Tier 1 teams (arM & , and then there’s the rest.
The one accomplishement that simply doesn’t measure up for Messi is the greatest stage. He has fizzled, and to be the second greatest of all time of the #1 sport of the planet you can’t fizzle. ;)
I’m not saying Messi is bad by any means, he’s way up there in all time rankings, he just hasn’t produced where he needs to, to surpass Pelé.
I just have a hard time blaming the shortcomings of the Argentina national team on Messi.

There are basic ally only 5 countries the best player of all-time could come from because only a few countries are ever going to absolutely win a world cup.

Also, like Connor, Cosmi has been ready to get the hell out of Dodge on the first train out of town.

That's what I was alluding to. An entire offseason spent reading how he is a top 10-level prospect pretty much gets one looking for the safest and quickest exit possible.

Reactions: J Tull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT