ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A weekend UT football could have done without...)

Daniel Jeremiah was terrific on NFL draft---his podcast Move the Sticks is great listen

Yeah, the reaction to the draft was odd IMO.

As I remember it, people were saying that Devin could fall out of the second day, and Brandon was expected to be third day, as well. So, the draft Texas players got was about as good as expected to be. The doom and gloom in response is a bit misplaced, in that regard. We already knew how bad the situation was, and the draft didn't reveal anything to make it worse.

Texas fans knew where we stood; however, the draft reinforced how far behind the Texas program is on a national stage.

I don't sense a lot of screaming for a panic button, rather there's just an acknowledgment of the limbo land the program lives in with the big dogs until it can prove itself.

Our supposed superstar head coach had to fire his entire coaching staff in Year 3!

We should be panicking. Herman is not the savior we had all hoped for.

Everybody gets it. Everybody also gets that Texas has recruited well despite not reaching the same championship level heights that LSU and Alabama have reached yet, and if we can put together a great season this year, a lot of these issues will disappear.

We have signed three straight Top 10 classes and have a chance to put all of this to rest with a senior quarterback and a much more experienced defense. If the season goes how it should, we will sign a fourth straight Top 10 class, and probably higher.

Until then, there’s no reason to hit the panic button.
Well said, we just need a good year with a win or two against top teams.The state of Texas is the football factory,We produce the players and they take them.We have to convince them that Texas is an equal opportunity to the NFL

(Buy) Yes, the Cowboys have the pieces in place. That doesn't mean that they'll make a deep postseason run, but the pieces are in place.

(Sell) I had zero bad thoughts at all during the draft. I enjoyed the entire damn thing.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the 2020 NFL Draft ...

... It's hard for me to completely articulate my feelings as a Cowboys fan because while I'm stuck in a two-decade purgatory as a fan, I really enjoyed the hell out of the draft to the point that it made feel like I reconnected with the team to a degree this weekend. It's rare when I've ever felt great about a Dallas draft from top to bottom, but every time they selected, the Cowboys took a player that appeared to be tremendous value in the round in which they selected him.

... I believe that before it's all said and done, Cee Dee Lamb will be remembered as one of the top-five receivers in the history of the Dallas Cowboys franchise. That's what I think of his addition to the roster. I think we're talking about the second-best offensive skill player that the Oklahoma program has ever produced outside of Adrian Peterson in the modern era of the program.

... One of the best things about landing Lamb is that the Cowboys kept him away from the Philadelphia Eagles.

... Jerry Jones is never allowed to leave his yacht ever again. That thing was good luck this weekend.

Is it wrong that this is how I envision all of you?

Enjoyed your fact-filled writing. I think the posters giving you a hard time are frustrated with the underlying reality and misplacing there ire onto you. One needn't be aberrant to be objective about Texas under-performing for 14 years.

Hook'em Horns

dd85fff5d8c01e6124c88ca789253a7c.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Shooting the messenger.

p.s. Yummy.

Reactions: cnapp
@Ketchum

Moore said Schaefer, who left Mississippi State for Texas, didn’t pursue her nearly as hard when he still led the Bulldogs’ program. He told her he didn’t think he’d get her to come all the way to Starkville, Mississippi.

Once he landed the Texas job, Schaefer instantly made Moore a high priority.

“The first day coach Schaefer and the staff, it got out in the public that they were going to be the new coaches, they immediately called me,” Moore said, “and we probably had like five conversations in maybe a week and I just knew right then and there that this was for me.”
It didn't take him long at all, did it?

Reactions: LH817
The column down to paragraph numbered 2 could have been written by the SEC publicity office or, at a minimum, a troll who wanted recruits to look favorably on the SEC and unfavorably on Texas.

I really do not think that is appropriate content for a a site called "Orangebloods". "SEC Bloods" would be more appropriate. Very disappointing coming from a site supposedly dedicated to UT sports. You really should remove it.

I hope all the recruits who read this have the good sense to overlook all the negativity here and to realize that if they come to UT and play to their potential they have the ability to do great things and have great success in the draft as so many Texas players have had. This class, in particular, has the ability to win national championships at Texas
Welcome to the way the world actually exists. That thing that's bothering you...

It's called the truth.

LSU sucked for years. No doubt, Coach O is a good recruiter. There's still time IF we play a season & what I think happens (LSU is subpar) & Texas has a good season.

Texas IS a blueblood

I think LSU is on the fringe.

Let's see how they do this year.
LSU is a made man in 2020. Texas is not.

That needs to change.

Yeah, the reaction to the draft was odd IMO.

As I remember it, people were saying that Devin could fall out of the second day, and Brandon was expected to be third day, as well. So, the draft Texas players got was about as good as expected to be. The doom and gloom in response is a bit misplaced, in that regard. We already knew how bad the situation was, and the draft didn't reveal anything to make it worse.
I think that is wishful thinking.

Meh, it could have gone the other way. Ingram doesn't drop the TD in the end zone, we beat LSU, and we go on to have a much better season. Shoulda coulda woulda.

But then, what Sam said wouldn't have ruffled any feathers.
It's myopic to believe that if Ingram catches that ball, it means Texas wins that game.

I hope you're not walking around carrying that on your mind for months.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
IMO, there is a certain OL recruit that is even more important than the Brockermyers

Well said, we just need a good year with a win or two against top teams.The state of Texas is the football factory,We produce the players and they take them.We have to convince them that Texas is an equal opportunity to the NFL
That's a hard thing to convince them of right now. It's not a true statement at this point.

I know it probably won’t help with the 2021 class, but Herman having potentially 2-3 1st rounders and 4 day 1 and 2 picks for next year (if everything goes well this year) will help moving forward.

I know it probably won’t help with the 2021 class, but Herman having potentially 2-3 1st rounders and 4 day 1 and 2 picks for next year (if everything goes well this year) will help moving forward.
Yes, but that has to actually materialize. It would huge if it happens that way.

Will help greatly in 2022.

Reactions: Lennay Kekua
A monster season could send Sam Cosmi into the first round. The same is true of Joseph Ossai. If Jalen Hurts can go in the second round, why can't Sam Ehlinger? That's if there's a monster season to serve as the spring board.

I think if most people are being honestly with themselves, Hurts was a better QB prospect than Ehlinger in terms of projecting to the NFL. I'm NOT saying Hurts is/was an elite NFL QB prospect going into last season, but he was a HELLUVA lot better as a CFB QB going into last season than 99% of this board wanted to give him credit for. I think he's a much more fluid athlete than Ehlinger. I think he's more accurate. I also think he has a stronger arm. And are we really going to debate intangibles such as "leadership" when the other guy is Hurts?

Reactions: cammac88
No. 6 - Vic Schaefer carries a wallet that reads "Bad MF" ...

There's not enough time in the day for me to tell you how impressed I am with new Texas basketball coach Vic Schaefer.

I wonder if there's any chance we can get him to speak to Herman and Shaka about how a guy named a Texas HC should act upon arrival.

Yeah, I had the same reaction to the draft. If we can’t convince the Brockermeyer’s that we can develop them I have no idea how our current coach is ever going to get over the hump.

Also, if the season does not start on time I have no idea what is going to be different in Oct when it starts to cool down and flu season begins on top of things.

Yep, if anything they need to move into August and wrap up in December.

I think if most people are being honestly with themselves, Hurts was a better QB prospect than Ehlinger in terms of projecting to the NFL. I'm NOT saying Hurts is/was an elite NFL QB prospect going into last season, but he was a HELLUVA lot better as a CFB QB going into last season than 99% of this board wanted to give him credit for. I think he's a much more fluid athlete than Ehlinger. I think he's more accurate. I also think he has a stronger arm. And are we really going to debate intangibles such as "leadership" when the other guy is Hurts?
He's not a better passer than Hurts. Once you take away his first read, Hurts struggles in the passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT