ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A weekend UT football could have done without...)

Injury related?

No, I just question his arm strength. He always had A++ talent around him, not that just anyone could do what he does. I just have a hunch, his arm strength and durability will hinder him at the next level.

No, I just question his arm strength. He always had A++ talent around him, not that just anyone could do what he does. I just have a hunch, his arm strength and durability will hinder him at the next level.
I think his arm strength is a monster plus. The durability worries me to a degree.

- Your point about the difficulty of trying to convince a 17-year-old to ignore SEC stats and play in a league that needed TCU to have five guys drafted to avoid having less than 20 players selected is very accurate.

- I agree with you on Shaka. It's great to collect 5-stars, but on-the-court results do matter.

- Daniel Jeremiah was definitely solid.

- I'm left wondering why the author made no mention of Zach Shackelford signing with Tampa Bay as a priority free agent. I demand reparations for Shack :)

Worries about Herman being able to develop talent like a top 5 program after 3 years should be VERY concerning to the Longhorns head brass. NFL draft being prime example.

(Buy) That's fair at this point heading into year four, especially after he needed to can 70 percent of his staff. The 2019 season is one that he's been building towards for four years and the urgency around it is real. It's time to deliver.

I would agree with this if the "VERY" was removed. Year two was good with wins over ou and Georgia. Year three was a disappointment but some significant problems were addressed. In year four, Herman's first real class (that he recruited) will be in their third year in the program and should be maturing. We'll see. I have concern, but I'm not "VERY" concerned.

Reactions: boernefan
Worries about Herman being able to develop talent like a top 5 program after 3 years should be VERY concerning to the Longhorns head brass. NFL draft being prime example.

(Buy) That's fair at this point heading into year four, especially after he needed to can 70 percent of his staff. The 2019 season is one that he's been building towards for four years and the urgency around it is real. It's time to deliver.

I would agree with this if the "VERY" was removed. Year two was good with wins over ou and Georgia. Year three was a disappointment but some significant problems were addressed. In year four, Herman's first real class (that he recruited) will be in their third year in the program and should be maturing. We'll see. I have concern, but I'm not "VERY" concerned.
Smart man!!!

- Your point about the difficulty of trying to convince a 17-year-old to ignore SEC stats and play in a league that needed TCU to have five guys drafted to avoid having less than 20 players selected is very accurate.

- I agree with you on Shaka. It's great to collect 5-stars, but on-the-court results do matter.

- Daniel Jeremiah was definitely solid.

- I'm left wondering why the author made no mention of Zach Shackelford signing with Tampa Bay as a priority free agent. I demand reparations for Shack :)
I wish nothing but luck and success for Shack as he enters the NFL. I like it when good things happen to good people.

I think the VERY stresses the urgency at hand.

For as much good as DeLoss Dodds did for the University, keeping the B12 together is the poison pill that can't be overcome.

I don’t feel like this column is negatively slanted

I feel like the program is not headed in a very positive direction - if this season isn’t huge then man we are in trouble
I know Herman only averaged three more wins a season in his first three years than the previous three years. But,if he is able to continue that improvement over the next three years, that would be an average of 11 wins a year.
Now I know we would not be satisfied with that but it is headed in the right direction.
Maybe with that improvement on the field we could be more of the elite recruits?

Good info and article Ketch! Agree with you on the Ravens and Dolphins in the draft this year. I think my Vikings are right there with those 2 teams in this year's draft(3 best team drafts). Expecting at least 3 maybe 4 starters from this year's draft for the Vikings. Jefferson is going to put up the best stats this year in my opinion of any WR from this year's draft. Cousins is going to feed him the ball!

@Ketchum - regarding SEC and draft.

you pose the issue but I haven’t seen anyone come up with a valid response/solution for Texas.

1) does Texas join the SEC and then fight the same battle it is now except Texas still doesn’t have a top flight program (wins and recruiting 5 stars)
2) Does Texas try to stick with the Big12 and hope that the idiot running it decides that they need to add teams to make it “better”?
3) does Texas need to look at B10?
4) PAC12 is in shambles and not an option. ACC makes no sense geographically or from a power standpoint.

be nice to hear something other than Texas has a problem. Why not reach out to yalls contacts and get some info on what Texas would like to see happen or plan to combat this issue. SEC has been running the draft for some time now (Bama, Auburn, LSU, UGA and UF). Then you have random years with MissSt or OleMiss.

Good info and article Ketch! Agree with you on the Ravens and Dolphins in the draft this year. I think my Vikings are right there with those 2 teams in this year's draft(3 best team drafts). Expecting at least 3 maybe 4 starters from this year's draft for the Vikings. Jefferson is going to put up the best stats this year in my opinion of any WR from this year's draft. Cousins is going to feed him the ball!
Definitely fills a major need with the loss of Diggs. I'm curious to see how they use him considering he plays the same position as Thielen.

@Ketchum - regarding SEC and draft.

you pose the issue but I haven’t seen anyone come up with a valid response/solution for Texas.

1) does Texas join the SEC and then fight the same battle it is now except Texas still doesn’t have a top flight program (wins and recruiting 5 stars)
2) Does Texas try to stick with the Big12 and hope that the idiot running it decides that they need to add teams to make it “better”?
3) does Texas need to look at B10?
4) PAC12 is in shambles and not an option. ACC makes no sense geographically or from a power standpoint.

be nice to hear something other than Texas has a problem. Why not reach out to yalls contacts and get some info on what Texas would like to see happen or plan to combat this issue. SEC has been running the draft for some time now (Bama, Auburn, LSU, UGA and UF). Then you have random years with MissSt or OleMiss.
Texas needs to be great and become the Ohio State of Texas if at all possible.

They've got to start holding their own when it comes to producing NFL talent.

Reactions: misterpink
... Am I allowed to say that I don't know what to think of Joe Burrow and the Bengals? Man, as out of this world good as he was a year ago, I'm just not convinced on him. Maybe it's the fact that he's joining the Bengals, one of the true awful franchises in American professional sports. Whatever it is, I'm just not sold.

I think he's going to be a complete bust. Not because of him going to the Bengals either.

If Joe Brady had not come to LSU and they ran the same offense as they did in 2018 does he even get drafted?

He parlayed one great season into the #1 pick and I'm happy for him, seems to be a helluva person. The only elite skill he seems to have is game IQ and maybe he can turn that in to a solid career but we'll see.

I'm not real high on any of the first round QB's in this draft. I think Tua has a decent yet unspectacular career and that might be the best of any of them.

I think he's going to be a complete bust. Not because of him going to the Bengals either.

If Joe Brady had not come to LSU and they ran the same offense as they did in 2018 does he even get drafted?

He parlayed one great season into the #1 pick and I'm happy for him, seems to be a helluva person. The only elite skill he seems to have is game IQ and maybe he can turn that in to a solid career but we'll see.

I'm not real high on any of the first round QB's in this draft. I think Tua has a decent yet unspectacular career and that might be the best of any of them.
Well, couldn't we say that about any quarterback playing in that shitty 2018 offense?

Put me in the camp that thinks Tua will be giant bust.

Injury related?

I think his arm strength is a monster plus. The durability worries me to a degree.

Tua's arm strength is most certainly not a "monster plus." I literally can't find a a draft/scouting report that remotely describes his arm strength in that matter. Not sure how anyone watched Tua would say his arm strength is a "monster plus." Is it adequate? Sure. Is it above average? Certainly could be argued it is. "Monster plus?" No friggin' way.

Like @MuggyMug, besides durability, I seriously question him because he had a stupid level of talent around him and was throwing into wide open windows. I also think his delivery has a bit of a hitch and he doesn't always get on top of the ball when he throws. Make no mistake, i really like Tua has a CFB QB and I think he's a nice enough young man. But nothing from him screams top 5 NFL draft pick as a QB. But as I've said many times before, literally no position causes teams to reach and overvalue prospects like QB. Not even close.

Tua's arm strength is most certainly not a "monster plus." I literally can't find a a draft/scouting report that remotely describes his arm strength in that matter.
from his NFL.com scouting report... the first one I looked at.

94428407_244079546950889_9166960561999577088_n.jpg

from his NFL.com scouting report... the first one I looked at.

94428407_244079546950889_9166960561999577088_n.jpg

It's a real stretch to take that and translate it to "monster plus." A REAL stretch.

A google of Tua's arm strength:

"His biggest flaw is a physical limitation: average arm strength"

https://nflmocks.com/2020/01/07/2020-nfl-draft-report-tua-tagovailoa/
Arm strength "7 of 10."

https://thespun.com/sec/alabama-cri...ranking-joe-burrow-jordan-love-justin-herbert
"“It’s a good arm, but it’s not a great arm,”

Get back to me when somone comes close to describing Tua's arm strength remotely to what you did.

It's a real stretch to take that and translate it to "monster plus." A REAL stretch.

A google of Tua's arm strength:

"His biggest flaw is a physical limitation: average arm strength"

https://nflmocks.com/2020/01/07/2020-nfl-draft-report-tua-tagovailoa/
Arm strength "7 of 10."

https://thespun.com/sec/alabama-cri...ranking-joe-burrow-jordan-love-justin-herbert
"“It’s a good arm, but it’s not a great arm,”

Get back to me when somone comes close to describing Tua's arm strength remotely to what you did.
92298283_946566485800447_3589676216514248704_n.jpg

Anyways, my eyes tell me Tua has a big-time arm that can make big-time NFL throws.

I don't need anyone else to tell me anything, but I appreciate Trent Dilfer having my back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT