ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A whole lotta pain)

Jesus ….that video nearly had me choking up

Like this team was different . The love and care they had for each other , they really did not want to quit playing with each other. Sadly it’s done for so many on that team. It was special to hear Allen talking about how many things he loved about austin and the program

But it’s a team we will remember for a long time
No doubt. I've forgotten so many other teams. Not this one,.

Reactions: TexasRads
hope you get to feeling better soon Ketch. and I'm a John Wick fan and have to say...absolutely hated JW4. lots of fun silly action as always but the plot is stupid and ridiculous and they just ask the audience to suspend reality WAY TOO MUCH. I must have told myself about 20 different times during the movie....well that's just stupid and doesn't make any sense, that would never happen, even in this silly world. it's just at every turn. I'd go in with very lowered expectations.
Sorry, I couldn't read this beyond the first sentence. No spoilers. Not even mini ones,.

I’m not a Mavs fan, but I don’t see this happening on Cuban’s watch. MC is a different kind of owner, and one that seems to develop special relationships with key players.

It'll be out of his control. No one wants to play in Dallas.

h. I somewhat feel the same about running back. I once assumed that Jonathan Brooks would definitely be RB1, but I just don't know anymore. Maybe it goes down like that, but this feels like a position that is going to work itself out in the first three weeks of the season.
I agree. If Brooks wasn’t hurt for the bowl game (and we’ll probably never know) then something else is not quite right. He should have been the featured back by a mile.

I agree. If Brooks wasn’t hurt for the bowl game (and we’ll probably never know) then something else is not quite right. He should have been the featured back by a mile.
I don't know if it's by a mile. That feels a bit much.

Maybe 11th. ;)

Lot of people think U.Conn cakewalks to the title.
That’s because there’s nobody left that can stop them. You’ve got to give Miami credit- they did the damn thing, but the best team lost last night. It happens.

That’s because there’s nobody left that can stop them. You’ve got to give Miami credit- they did the damn thing, but the best team lost last night. It happens.
The better team won.

It's the one that didn't blink when the kitchen was super hot.

@Ketchum - On February 5th, you wrote the following in your 10 Thoughts. Did Texas’ run, which was incredible, was the sole reason you have changed your opinion, or are there other factors too?

————————————

No. 7 - About Rodney Terry ...

My opinion about what Chris Del Conte needs to do after the season ends is not going to change.

He has to make an elite hire.

It comes down to this for me ...

If any major coaching gig opens up in the spring, would any of those schools seriously consider hiring Rodney Terry?

Why not?

Because he's not an elite head coaching product. Don't get me wrong, he's doing a hell of a job and he has to be the favorite for Big 12 Coach of the year at the moment. But, he didn't build this team. He's coaching Chris Beard's team. In his years as a head coach at the collegiate level, he never remotely performed at an elite level.

In future seasons, the job will call to build something elite and not just take the reins of one.

Hiring someone who has proven to be elite at doing that is paramount to Del Conte's task.

@Ketchum - On February 5th, you wrote the following in your 10 Thoughts. Did Texas’ run, which was incredible, change your opinion?

————————————

No. 7 - About Rodney Terry ...

My opinion about what Chris Del Conte needs to do after the season ends is not going to change.

He has to make an elite hire.

It comes down to this for me ...

If any major coaching gig opens up in the spring, would any of those schools seriously consider hiring Rodney Terry?

Why not?

Because he's not an elite head coaching product. Don't get me wrong, he's doing a hell of a job and he has to be the favorite for Big 12 Coach of the year at the moment. But, he didn't build this team. He's coaching Chris Beard's team. In his years as a head coach at the collegiate level, he never remotely performed at an elite level.

In future seasons, the job will call to build something elite and not just take the reins of one.

Hiring someone who has proven to be elite at doing that is paramount to Del Conte's task.
Clearly, it did.

I also think there's no sure-thing hire available.

You hire Terry and if in two years, it's not happening, you cut the cord and hope the market for a hire looks better.

With a healthy Disu, maybe.

Not with the teams that came out last night. The better team made a lot of shots in the deciding moments of the game.

It didn't fumble the ball, miss shots, fail to get stops, etc...
Without Disu they were better. For the whole game. The game turned when Carr got banged up and Texas was essentially down two starters. That’s really not sour grapes or to take anything away from Miami. It happens, especially in basketball. Context matters a lot. Texas was a better team all season in a tougher conference before the emergence of Disu as well.

Reactions: Debogail
Without Disu they were better. For the whole game. The game turned when Carr got banged up and Texas was essentially down two starters. That’s really not sour grapes or to take anything away from Miami. It happens, especially in basketball. Context matters a lot. Texas was a better team all season in a tougher conference before the emergence of Disu as well.
You are ignoring a lot of context from my perspective.

You can't claim that Texas was better for the whole game. Texas was the better team for the first half. It was a push for the first 12 minutes of the second half. Miami was by far and away the better team in the final 8 minutes.

The final 8 minutes that decided the game. The 24-9 run to end the game answered this question, whether you're ready to accept it or nor. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing matters more than how you finish. Miami finished, Texas most certainly did not.

That's how you decide who is better when they meet head to head with the season on the line.

You are ignoring a lot of context from my perspective.

You can't claim that Texas was better for the whole game. Texas was the better team for the first half. It was a push for the first 12 minutes of the second half. Miami was by far and away the better team in the final 8 minutes.

The final 8 minutes that decided the game. The 24-9 run to end the game answered this question, whether you're ready to accept it or nor. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing matters more than how you finish. Miami finished, Texas most certainly did not.

That's how you decide who is better when they meet head to head with the season on the line.
Your logic is solid- and if this were football I’d agree with you. In Basketball losing two starters is generally insurmountable. Disu would have made a big difference, certainly. But even without him Texas was able to build a 13 point lead. Miami wasn’t going to close that gap until Texas essentially lost Carr as well. That was literally the turning point. He’s the leader on the floor- in distributing the ball and in crunch time. Hunter started bringing the ball up and turning it over as Miami played off Carr and doubled the ball. The ball stopped moving and Texas stopped scoring. That’s the context that matters and it’s why the better team lost. Miami probably loses by 10-13 if Carr stays healthy. There really wasn’t much they could do up until that point. They weren’t closing the gap.

Your logic is solid- and if this were football I’d agree with you. In Basketball losing two starters is generally insurmountable. Disu would have made a big difference, certainly. But even without him Texas was able to build a 13 point lead. Miami wasn’t going to close that gap until Texas essentially lost Carr as well. That was literally the turning point. He’s the leader on the floor- in distributing the ball and in crunch time. Hunter started bringing the ball up and turning it over as Miami played off Carr and doubled the ball. The ball stopped moving and Texas stopped scoring. That’s the context that matters and it’s why the better team lost. Miami probably loses by 10-13 if Carr stays healthy. There really wasn’t much they could do up until that point. They weren’t closing the gap.
Miami wasn't going to close the gap?

They shot 59% from the field and 88% from the free throw line.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't refuse to give Miami credit when they were stellar.

From top to bottom... Incredibly great write up this week Ketch. Bravo!

(Keanu Reeves was fantastic in Something's Gotta Give)

Reactions: Ketchum
From top to bottom... Incredibly great write up this week Ketch. Bravo!

(Keanu Reeves was fantastic in Something's Gotta Give)
Thanks for taking the time to write such kind words. Double thanks.

(Yes, he most certainly was.)

Reactions: luckylo
Miami wasn't going to close the gap?

They shot 59% from the field and 88% from the free throw line.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't refuse to give Miami credit when they were stellar.
Miami was stellar. Absolutely. And yet they were still outmatched before the Carr injury. They were shooting 60% down 13 as well. Texas shot 50%, outrebounded rhe canes and had double the assists. Texas also shot 40% from three to Miami’s 25%. I think you’re right to give them credit they were outstanding and they did the damn thing. But they can’t beat Texas with Disu, IMO, and had to shoot a crazy 60% just to hang within 13 with Carr on the floor. I think the turning point for them was actually their defensive adjustment once Carr was hurt. They have very fast hands and created a lot of steals.

They weren't outmatched.
Sure they were. Just like they will be against UConn. There’s a reason everyone thinks they’re going to lose big. But if UConn loses Sanogo and Hawkins or Jackson, it changes that, doesn’t it?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT