ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A whole lotta pain)

That’s because there’s nobody left that can stop them. You’ve got to give Miami credit- they did the damn thing, but the best team lost last night. It happens.
The better team won.

It's the one that didn't blink when the kitchen was super hot.

@Ketchum - On February 5th, you wrote the following in your 10 Thoughts. Did Texas’ run, which was incredible, was the sole reason you have changed your opinion, or are there other factors too?

————————————

No. 7 - About Rodney Terry ...

My opinion about what Chris Del Conte needs to do after the season ends is not going to change.

He has to make an elite hire.

It comes down to this for me ...

If any major coaching gig opens up in the spring, would any of those schools seriously consider hiring Rodney Terry?

Why not?

Because he's not an elite head coaching product. Don't get me wrong, he's doing a hell of a job and he has to be the favorite for Big 12 Coach of the year at the moment. But, he didn't build this team. He's coaching Chris Beard's team. In his years as a head coach at the collegiate level, he never remotely performed at an elite level.

In future seasons, the job will call to build something elite and not just take the reins of one.

Hiring someone who has proven to be elite at doing that is paramount to Del Conte's task.

@Ketchum - On February 5th, you wrote the following in your 10 Thoughts. Did Texas’ run, which was incredible, change your opinion?

————————————

No. 7 - About Rodney Terry ...

My opinion about what Chris Del Conte needs to do after the season ends is not going to change.

He has to make an elite hire.

It comes down to this for me ...

If any major coaching gig opens up in the spring, would any of those schools seriously consider hiring Rodney Terry?

Why not?

Because he's not an elite head coaching product. Don't get me wrong, he's doing a hell of a job and he has to be the favorite for Big 12 Coach of the year at the moment. But, he didn't build this team. He's coaching Chris Beard's team. In his years as a head coach at the collegiate level, he never remotely performed at an elite level.

In future seasons, the job will call to build something elite and not just take the reins of one.

Hiring someone who has proven to be elite at doing that is paramount to Del Conte's task.
Clearly, it did.

I also think there's no sure-thing hire available.

You hire Terry and if in two years, it's not happening, you cut the cord and hope the market for a hire looks better.

With a healthy Disu, maybe.

Not with the teams that came out last night. The better team made a lot of shots in the deciding moments of the game.

It didn't fumble the ball, miss shots, fail to get stops, etc...
Without Disu they were better. For the whole game. The game turned when Carr got banged up and Texas was essentially down two starters. That’s really not sour grapes or to take anything away from Miami. It happens, especially in basketball. Context matters a lot. Texas was a better team all season in a tougher conference before the emergence of Disu as well.

Reactions: Debogail
Without Disu they were better. For the whole game. The game turned when Carr got banged up and Texas was essentially down two starters. That’s really not sour grapes or to take anything away from Miami. It happens, especially in basketball. Context matters a lot. Texas was a better team all season in a tougher conference before the emergence of Disu as well.
You are ignoring a lot of context from my perspective.

You can't claim that Texas was better for the whole game. Texas was the better team for the first half. It was a push for the first 12 minutes of the second half. Miami was by far and away the better team in the final 8 minutes.

The final 8 minutes that decided the game. The 24-9 run to end the game answered this question, whether you're ready to accept it or nor. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing matters more than how you finish. Miami finished, Texas most certainly did not.

That's how you decide who is better when they meet head to head with the season on the line.

You are ignoring a lot of context from my perspective.

You can't claim that Texas was better for the whole game. Texas was the better team for the first half. It was a push for the first 12 minutes of the second half. Miami was by far and away the better team in the final 8 minutes.

The final 8 minutes that decided the game. The 24-9 run to end the game answered this question, whether you're ready to accept it or nor. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing matters more than how you finish. Miami finished, Texas most certainly did not.

That's how you decide who is better when they meet head to head with the season on the line.
Your logic is solid- and if this were football I’d agree with you. In Basketball losing two starters is generally insurmountable. Disu would have made a big difference, certainly. But even without him Texas was able to build a 13 point lead. Miami wasn’t going to close that gap until Texas essentially lost Carr as well. That was literally the turning point. He’s the leader on the floor- in distributing the ball and in crunch time. Hunter started bringing the ball up and turning it over as Miami played off Carr and doubled the ball. The ball stopped moving and Texas stopped scoring. That’s the context that matters and it’s why the better team lost. Miami probably loses by 10-13 if Carr stays healthy. There really wasn’t much they could do up until that point. They weren’t closing the gap.

Your logic is solid- and if this were football I’d agree with you. In Basketball losing two starters is generally insurmountable. Disu would have made a big difference, certainly. But even without him Texas was able to build a 13 point lead. Miami wasn’t going to close that gap until Texas essentially lost Carr as well. That was literally the turning point. He’s the leader on the floor- in distributing the ball and in crunch time. Hunter started bringing the ball up and turning it over as Miami played off Carr and doubled the ball. The ball stopped moving and Texas stopped scoring. That’s the context that matters and it’s why the better team lost. Miami probably loses by 10-13 if Carr stays healthy. There really wasn’t much they could do up until that point. They weren’t closing the gap.
Miami wasn't going to close the gap?

They shot 59% from the field and 88% from the free throw line.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't refuse to give Miami credit when they were stellar.

From top to bottom... Incredibly great write up this week Ketch. Bravo!

(Keanu Reeves was fantastic in Something's Gotta Give)

Reactions: Ketchum
From top to bottom... Incredibly great write up this week Ketch. Bravo!

(Keanu Reeves was fantastic in Something's Gotta Give)
Thanks for taking the time to write such kind words. Double thanks.

(Yes, he most certainly was.)

Reactions: luckylo
Miami wasn't going to close the gap?

They shot 59% from the field and 88% from the free throw line.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't refuse to give Miami credit when they were stellar.
Miami was stellar. Absolutely. And yet they were still outmatched before the Carr injury. They were shooting 60% down 13 as well. Texas shot 50%, outrebounded rhe canes and had double the assists. Texas also shot 40% from three to Miami’s 25%. I think you’re right to give them credit they were outstanding and they did the damn thing. But they can’t beat Texas with Disu, IMO, and had to shoot a crazy 60% just to hang within 13 with Carr on the floor. I think the turning point for them was actually their defensive adjustment once Carr was hurt. They have very fast hands and created a lot of steals.

They weren't outmatched.
Sure they were. Just like they will be against UConn. There’s a reason everyone thinks they’re going to lose big. But if UConn loses Sanogo and Hawkins or Jackson, it changes that, doesn’t it?

Last edited:
No. 10 - The List: Keanu Reeves Top 10 ...

Honorable Mention: River's Edge, Parenthood, Dangerous Liaisons, The Replacements, Hardball and A Walk in the Clouds,

10. Toy Story 4
9. Something's Gotta Give
8. The Devil's Advocate
7. John Wick: Chapter 2
6. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
5. My Own Private Idaho
4. John Wick
3. Speed
2. Point Break
1. The Matrix
I think the only time I've been in this much agreement with you over a list was the Eva Cassidy list...
I'd have to figure out a way to get A Scanner Darkly in there - maybe at 10 or maybe just in the HM portion. But this is obviously just a minor quibble and personal preference if we're talking about squeezing in a pretty niche movie into HMs. He stretched his acting legs in "The Gift" and was really quite good in it but the only thing that makes that movie worth rewatching is Katie Holmes transformation from dorky-but-cute Joey Potter into [PAUSE/SLOW-MOTION/REPEAT] goddess (if you know, you know). Note: If you don't know, Katie Holmes had a Alexandra Daddario moment for the VHS/DVD crowd in this film.

As for the actual rankings... The top-4 are the top-4. His best acting is the work he did in My Own Private Idaho. I had no idea people talked smack about The Devil's Advocate. So yeah, good top-10, Ketch.

• Love
Just finished up.

Pretty good flick. Couple interesting tidbits:
- Produced by Eva Longoria
- Wick walks a pit bull home
- Bad guy son was also a douche in GoT
I wonder if Eva has points on it in that role.

I think the only time I've been in this much agreement with you over a list was the Eva Cassidy list...
I'd have to figure out a way to get A Scanner Darkly in there - maybe at 10 or maybe just in the HM portion. But this is obviously just a minor quibble and personal preference if we're talking about squeezing in a pretty niche movie into HMs. He stretched his acting legs in "The Gift" and was really quite good in it but the only thing that makes that movie worth rewatching is Katie Holmes transformation from dorky-but-cute Joey Potter into [PAUSE/SLOW-MOTION/REPEAT] goddess (if you know, you know). Note: If you don't know, Katie Holmes had a Alexandra Daddario moment for the VHS/DVD crowd in this film.

As for the actual rankings... The top-4 are the top-4. His best acting is the work he did in My Own Private Idaho. I had no idea people talked smack about The Devil's Advocate. So yeah, good top-10, Ketch.
I think the top 8 are the top 8.

The last two could be any umber of films.

Again, first ballot hall of fame stuff.

What edge rusher is most likely in the next portal cycle or are we not taking any portal players this time around

Ketch, can you elaborate on worrying about the linebacker position? We return one of the best linebackers in recent Texas history in Ford. It feels like Blackwell or Gbenda can give us solid play next to him. Is it a depth thing? Cause yeah, if (God Forbid) Texas was to lose Ford, we'd have issues. I still think if a quality LB come available post spring via the portal, we should take one.

Ketch, can you elaborate on worrying about the linebacker position? We return one of the best linebackers in recent Texas history in Ford. It feels like Blackwell or Gbenda can give us solid play next to him. Is it a depth thing? Cause yeah, if (God Forbid) Texas was to lose Ford, we'd have issues. I still think if a quality LB come available post spring via the portal, we should take one.
Who do you feel good about outside of Ford?

No. 10 - The List: Keanu Reeves Top 10 ...

A couple of things....

a. John Wick 4 came out this weekend and while I haven't seen it, I've heard pretty incredible reviews.
b. I did a Reeves list four years ago and upon second glance, I did a bad job of making the list. It happens.

Therefore, I'm taking a second shot at it.

Let's get to it.

Honorable Mention: River's Edge, Parenthood, Dangerous Liaisons, The Replacements, Hardball and A Walk in the Clouds,

10. Toy Story 4

tumblr_pt7yyccn1H1utsd6lo8_500.gifv

9. Something's Gotta Give

All Keanu does in this movie is woo Diane Keaton with such grace that by the end of the movie you're almost ready to scream at her for going back to Jack Nicholson.

8. The Devil's Advocate

I will stand on a table and defend every part of this movie until every detractor shuts the hell up.

7. John Wick: Chapter 2

Some will strongly argue that it should be ranked ahead of the original.

6. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure

giphy.gif

5. My Own Private Idaho

One of the best pieces of acting that Reeves has ever delivered. This movie is better today than the day it was released.

4. John Wick

Some people will argue that Chapter 2 is better than the original, but I'm not in the camp. Not only do I prefer the first release, but it has to be acknowledged as the birthplace of one of the most unexpected franchise success stories in cinema over the last couple of decades. We're talking about one of the best action movies of all-time at this point.

3. Speed

This movie is still a straight up banger. Quentin Tarantino called it one of the 20 best films he's seen from 1992 to 2009. Roger Evert gave it 4 out of 4 stars.

2. Point Break

It's a masterpiece that is as good today as it was when it was first released.

1. The Matrix

Look, I probably prefer watching Point Break over every movie on this list, but it's undeniable that The Matrix is one of the greatest science fiction movies ever made. As much as I love Johnny Utah, Point Break hasn't had 1/10th the cultural impact over the course of the last three decades.

giphy.gif

Great list. I completely forgot about Tod Higgins in Parenthood, what a great role. That kitchen scene with Dianne Wiest is classic, 'but they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father'.

ADVERTISEMENT