ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A whole lotta pain)

Great list. I completely forgot about Tod Higgins in Parenthood, what a great role. That kitchen scene with Dianne Wiest is classic, 'but they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father'.
Yeah, that's a smaller role for him, but a really important part in that movie.

Reactions: eaglehorn
Shaka is a damn good coach. And good guy. I doubt I will ever understand what happened to him here.
I don't get it either???? he's obviously a great coach, but he went away from his style completely....I never understood that. I'm sure some will say you get different types of players here, but he was successful coaching his way and totally abandoned it here.

Great addition of the Carson/Jimmy Stewart poem. Those were 2 of the GOAT for sure.

I don't get it either???? he's obviously a great coach, but he went away from his style completely....I never understood that. I'm sure some will say you get different types of players here, but he was successful coaching his way and totally abandoned it here.
Probably one of the things that we never really thought about with Shaka...

He was still learning on the job about how to be a big-time major coach.

He's still learning.

This will be the most important off season for the Mavs, they have to find a true number 2 and defensive wing.

This will be the most important off season for the Mavs, they have to find a true number 2 and defensive wing.
It ain't happening.

For some reason, big-time dudes have decided Dallas ain't it.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Feel better Ketch.

I am a thumbs up on your Keanu list. Wouldn't change anything.

I originally thought Terry would have to at least get to the Final Four to secure the coaching position, but after watching (on the VDR) the team from the Big 12 tourney and NCAAs, I think he truly deserves it. I agree a 4 year contract would be good to see how he can do in recruiting. (*BTWs, I also think Shaka is a great coach. I was really excited when he came to Texas and was equally disappointed that he just didn't work out here. But, there's no doubt, he's a great coach.)

Feel better Ketch.

I am a thumbs up on your Keanu list. Wouldn't change anything.

I originally thought Terry would have to at least get to the Final Four to secure the coaching position, but after watching (on the VDR) the team from the Big 12 tourney and NCAAs, I think he truly deserves it. I agree a 4 year contract would be good to see how he can do in recruiting. (*BTWs, I also think Shaka is a great coach. I was really excited when he came to Texas and was equally disappointed that he just didn't work out here. But, there's no doubt, he's a great coach.)

Goof stuff.

I think they key with Terry is not to go too far with regards to years. Three is an insult. Five feels like pver-extending.

Reactions: Utexex1989
If Hill is what his ranking says he is, he should be impossible to keep off the field compared to what else we have. Hoping he bites as a pup.

I agree. It's also a lot to ask of a pup. Ford is an All-American and he wasn't ready for that level of ask for multiple years.

Clearly, it did.

I also think there's no sure-thing hire available.

You hire Terry and if in two years, it's not happening, you cut the cord and hope the market for a hire looks better.
Simply put, this. Terry is a great story, but great stories get told to hold my beer when elite coaches come calling. That didn’t happen, so the story continues. This wasn’t strictly about Terry “deserving” the job. Deserves ain’t got nothing to do with it.

It ain't happening.

For some reason, big-time dudes have decided Dallas ain't it.

It sucks, but it is what it is.
Unfortunately, as a MFFL, this is entirely accurate. The Mavs used to always say “we are keeping our powder dry” and nothing ever happened.

Simply put, this. Terry is a great story, but great stories get told to hold my beer when elite coaches come calling. That didn’t happen, so the story continues. This wasn’t strictly about Terry “deserving” the job. Deserves ain’t got nothing to do with it.
Correct.

If there was a Beard or Shaka (from a decade ago) out there.... it's a different story.

Reactions: McGuapo
The thing we will agree on is that Texas was outplaying Miami.

It's a game Texas should have won if it plays solid basketball down the stretch.
That's the axiom of Texas athletics in major sports unfortunately. "Should have". Hoping 2023 football is a different narrative because it darn sure "should be".

That's the axiom of Texas athletics in major sports unfortunately. "Should have". Hoping 2023 football is a different narrative because it darn sure "should be".
If winning at an elite level were easy, everyone would do it.

Reactions: Horn19
Correct.

If there was a Beard or Shaka (from a decade ago) out there.... it's a different story.
Yup. If there was someone else, yesterday provided a great opportunity to switch the narrative. There wasn’t anyone, nobody that was a home run.

Yup. If there was someone else, yesterday provided a great opportunity to switch the narrative. There wasn’t anyone, nobody that was a home run.
which makes having Terry a nice fall back option that came out of nowhere.

which makes having Terry a nice fall back option that came out of nowhere.
Or else this could have been the baseball search all over again. I mentioned this before, but I hope everyone understands that there will be no honeymoon for Terry. Get ready for an election type atmosphere around here the moment Terry doesn’t win a game he should have, or even one he shouldn’t have. Hell, if he can’t put together what people view as a similarly competitive roster of pieces for next year before the season starts, the knives will come out. I’m happy for the guy and like him, but I know what this is going to look like. There will be no learning on the job.

If you forced me to pick just one movie as my absolute favorite, I’m pretty sure The Matrix would be it.

damn Ketch, that Jimmy Stewart tweet has be all choked up at work. I have a 12-year-old golden named Bo.... Great work and feel better.

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
Or else this could have been the baseball search all over again. I mentioned this before, but I hope everyone understands that there will be no honeymoon for Terry. Get ready for an election type atmosphere around here the moment Terry doesn’t win a game he should have, or even one he shouldn’t have. Hell, if he can’t put together what people view as a similarly competitive roster of pieces for next year before the season starts, the knives will come out. I’m happy for the guy and like him, but I know what this is going to look like. There will be no learning on the job.
you ****ing nailed it

Reactions: McGuapo
damn Ketch, that Jimmy Stewart tweet has be all choked up at work. I have a 12-year-old golden named Bo.... Great work and feel better.
It'll get you in your feels. Johnny wasn't ready for it.

Can we judge after 5 practices? And do we want keep some folks out of the portal? The true competition for some positions may begin in the fall.

I'm not sure my judgements are based on 5 practices.

I think the young talent in the program will likely need until 2024 or 2025 to make a significant dent.

dude I was going to rag on you for the 85% comment on the recruit,
and then you drop a rainbow bridge feels on us. Cmon now, some of us olds can't handle that type of thing.
I'm taking 85% back and making it mine! 😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT