ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Addressing Tom Herman and Ohio State ...)

I was in the stands last year in Iowa City with the Nutjobs lost to the Hawkeyes. They had such high aspirations going into that game so there were tons of Ohioans who made the trip. I'm not a huge Hawkeye fan, but I REVELED in watching the Buckeye fans all around me in stunned disbelief as things just kept going from bad to worse. One of the most enjoyable non-Longhorn games I've been to.

Reactions: Kblunted
Chris Warren is tearing it up in Oakland as an undrafted rookie free agent and I have to admit to being shocked by it all. Good for him.​
Yet in spite of all the potential he showed here, we constantly were told that he wasn't really all that good, and that Beck's consistent failure to develop a serious power-running game anywhere he's been couldn't have anything to do with our struggles.

Strong summary on this mess in Columbus. What's being done to Courtney Smith right now is an outrage, and if OSU lets Meyer off the hook, they'll never live it down.

Reactions: danhorn
Why would the Scientology thing make it hard to like him? Is it a Christianity thing? Most of Hollywood is atheist, so I’m not following where your going with it. Just curious.

Other than it being a cult that has “hospitals” where people are held against their will, and people that leave the church are harassed and their lives threatened then I guess it’s not too bad.

My brother got his Masters at OSU and I went to a game with him, back when Archie Griffin was playing for them. It was a great memory, and I never heard him say anything bad about the atmosphere at games... except for the time he went to Ann Arbor. Apparently every game in Columbus now is like it was then in Ann Arbor. Sad. I like where I'm at.

Tom Cruise. Go back and see him in Inside the Actors Studio. A great watch.

Hook 'em!!!

I was in Columbus in 2005. I saw a grandmother get beer thrown on her in front of her kids.
Also was taunted with the word faggit by a girl no less.

There’s even more but suffice to say that Columbus is the most reprehensible shithole I’ve ever been to. Why a recruit would choose that town is beyond me.

Reactions: M_A_G_A
Our society is horrible about assassinating the character of victims. The fact that Brock Turner even attempted his "outercourse" argument despite getting lucky (most likely after his dad paid the judge) in court the first time around indicates just how low on the totem pole women are, especially compared to athletics - whether it is Ohio State football or a Stanford swimmer.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean mentioned that the scrawny white dude calling him out referred to Sean's lips as "D*ck Sucking Lips. That is some unholy action there: a mayo sandwich eating frat bro talking crap to a very fit and very large athletic black man...and that black man keeping his cool.

Anyone who doesn't love Maverick and the homoerotic lovefest between him and Ice-Man was apparently born after the mid-1980s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In case anyone wants to reference Ketch's thoughts I discussed, they are asterisked below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... And we wonder why victims of abuse don't step forward on timelines that make everyone else most comfortable ...

Since Smith came forward to speak of the abuse that seems to have been confirmed in multiple capacities, the following has occurred:

a. The predictable character assassinations.
b. Her alleged abuser was given national platforms to spew obvious lies and misrepresentations of the truth.
c. Anyone that has supported her is under attack.
d. Her mother betrayed her.

Folks, if you don't have an appreciation for the stakes involved in these stories, you need to be asking yourself why.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's hard not to see the story that is unfolding in Columbus in the last few weeks and not recall that the last time I was in Columbus, my traveling companion was featured on the front page of the daily newspaper for the racial abuse he suffered following the game.

I'll never forget being in the Texas travelling section in the end zone as the final seconds ticked off the clock when a female Ohio State fan turned towards the late Sean Adams and myself, apologetically offering up, "I want to apologize in advance for how you're going to be treated.”

We kind of chuckled at her words, which were followed by a stern reaction.

"I'm very serious," she said. "You're going to need to be careful."

Moments later, we weren't even out of the stadium when women wearing burnt orange were being called the c-word. Furniture would burn in the streets before the night was over.

While we were stuck in the worst post-game traffic you've ever seen, our cab driver turned into an alley, which was clear of traffic for a few blocks. At some point, we got stopped in this alley, which was near an Ohio State fraternity (I believe I have that right). About a half-dozen Ohio State students approached Sean, who was sitting in the front seat of the car, while I was in the back seat with two female friends. The n-word was used and that probably wasn't the most disrespectful thing that was used in the way of verbal communication.

Honestly, I didn't think there was any way that Sean wasn't going to get out of the card and in the moment I was prepared to do whatever needed to be done. If we had been 21 or 23 or 25, we probably would have engaged in a brawl that night, but since we were both hovering around 30, cooler heads prevailed. Sean didn't let pride get him into a 7 on 2 physical confrontation and the damn cab eventually got out of the area.

The stories of what happened that night were so bad that it was being discussed locally in Columbus for days the following week. Our story made the news.

This is what I know of Columbus. I've never had any desire to go back, football games or not. It's the most low-rent town I've visited in nearly a quarter-century of covering college football. Not even Fayetteville comes within a 100-foot pole of it.

Therefore, when a scandal breaks out in Columbus, you're just going to forgive me if my level of expectations for anyone living there to be incredibly low. That place has more than earned its reputation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Cruise's Best Performances:
1. Maverick (Top Gun)

Our society is horrible about assassinating the character of victims. The fact that Brock Turner even attempted his "outercourse" argument despite getting lucky (most likely after his dad paid the judge) in court the first time around indicates just how low on the totem pole women are, especially compared to athletics - whether it is Ohio State football or a Stanford swimmer.

Sean mentioned that the scrawny white dude calling him out referred to Sean's lips as "D*ck Sucking Lips. That is some unholy action there: a mayo sandwich eating frat bro talking crap to a very fit and very large athletic black man...and that black man keeping his cool.

Anyone who doesn't love Maverick and the homoerotic lovefest between him and Ice-Man was apparently born after the mid-1980s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In case anyone wants to reference Ketch's thoughts I discussed, they are asterisked below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... And we wonder why victims of abuse don't step forward on timelines that make everyone else most comfortable ...

Since Smith came forward to speak of the abuse that seems to have been confirmed in multiple capacities, the following has occurred:

a. The predictable character assassinations.
b. Her alleged abuser was given national platforms to spew obvious lies and misrepresentations of the truth.
c. Anyone that has supported her is under attack.
d. Her mother betrayed her.

Folks, if you don't have an appreciation for the stakes involved in these stories, you need to be asking yourself why.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's hard not to see the story that is unfolding in Columbus in the last few weeks and not recall that the last time I was in Columbus, my traveling companion was featured on the front page of the daily newspaper for the racial abuse he suffered following the game.

I'll never forget being in the Texas travelling section in the end zone as the final seconds ticked off the clock when a female Ohio State fan turned towards the late Sean Adams and myself, apologetically offering up, "I want to apologize in advance for how you're going to be treated.”

We kind of chuckled at her words, which were followed by a stern reaction.

"I'm very serious," she said. "You're going to need to be careful."

Moments later, we weren't even out of the stadium when women wearing burnt orange were being called the c-word. Furniture would burn in the streets before the night was over.

While we were stuck in the worst post-game traffic you've ever seen, our cab driver turned into an alley, which was clear of traffic for a few blocks. At some point, we got stopped in this alley, which was near an Ohio State fraternity (I believe I have that right). About a half-dozen Ohio State students approached Sean, who was sitting in the front seat of the car, while I was in the back seat with two female friends. The n-word was used and that probably wasn't the most disrespectful thing that was used in the way of verbal communication.

Honestly, I didn't think there was any way that Sean wasn't going to get out of the card and in the moment I was prepared to do whatever needed to be done. If we had been 21 or 23 or 25, we probably would have engaged in a brawl that night, but since we were both hovering around 30, cooler heads prevailed. Sean didn't let pride get him into a 7 on 2 physical confrontation and the damn cab eventually got out of the area.

The stories of what happened that night were so bad that it was being discussed locally in Columbus for days the following week. Our story made the news.

This is what I know of Columbus. I've never had any desire to go back, football games or not. It's the most low-rent town I've visited in nearly a quarter-century of covering college football. Not even Fayetteville comes within a 100-foot pole of it.

Therefore, when a scandal breaks out in Columbus, you're just going to forgive me if my level of expectations for anyone living there to be incredibly low. That place has more than earned its reputation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Cruise's Best Performances:
1. Maverick (Top Gun)
The queen of Orangebloods returns!

why will they have depth issues?

It's a pretty loaded squad right now.

They have an amazing offense and loaded with backup offensive players there’s no doubt about that, but the quality of their defense isn’t deep enough for a long 38 game season + champions league + cup games.

They didn’t do much to shore up their patented late-game Swiss cheese defense, so chances are strong, that they’ll once again give up late goals and miss out on 3pts a few times, leading to miss out on end of season glory.

Other than it being a cult that has “hospitals” where people are held against their will, and people that leave the church are harassed and their lives threatened then I guess it’s not too bad.

I get that. But the question was why would Scientology make it hard to like Tom Cruise as an actor. Not reasons why one would not like Scientology.

They didn’t do much to shore up their patented late-game Swiss cheese defense
Other than create one of the strongest spines in Europe by spending record money on a world-class goal-keeper and centre-back. No team in the EPL has a better pair of fullbacks. The team had the second best defensive record in the EPL in the second half of last season.

But, yeah... keep talking those outdated talking points.

I sort of equate Cruise as this generation's Steve McQueen.
Immensely popular, but off screen personal life and gossip crap tarnishes him for some.
Gets dismissed by many others who generally dismiss all action adventure genre of films.

McQueen only received one Academy Award nomination for his whole career. Which is also a complete joke.

What was the response to your question?

More drunken gibberish.

And I was sincere too. I couldn’t believe we were treated that way. But after all these years, to seeing all the stupidity that comes from that state, I can’t say I’m surprised anymore like I was back then.

A Tom cruise top 10 without cocktail or days of thunder ? Yikes

I legitimately wonder how @Ketchum leaves All The Right Moves off the list. On a football board. For a movie based around teenage sex, and the perils and pitfalls of football recruiting?

Not even an honorable mention?

3 Star Ampipe, PA CB Stefan Djordjovic was an emergent character in the arc of American film.

Last edited:
Reactions: snoop9928
great write up Ketch. The thing about Cruise is he has made very few bad movies the Mummy remake was terrible but i can't really think of any others. Ketch's list was very good but Edge of Tomorrow needs to be on it but kicking one off isn't easy.

Not only did Meyer have spouse abuser (Smith) on staff, he also has Kevin Wilson who was fired by IU for abusing his players.

And Tom Herman is the problem?

More drunken gibberish.

And I was sincere too. I couldn’t believe we were treated that way. But after all these years, to seeing all the stupidity that comes from that state, I can’t say I’m surprised anymore like I was back then.
It's amazing that every single person who went had this experience. Being a piece of shit must just be deeply ingrained in their culture.

Reactions: TexasJiggerNaut
First

What a week, also @Ketchum just found out I am having twins any advice?

Twins: Good times...being a twin and having rare identical twins there is nothing anyone can tell you or prepare you for brother! If you can afford it get a day nanny and most important a night nanny! Get in with both feet and don’t look back because the world as you know it just got put in hyperdrive! Its not for everyone but you can handle it or it wouldn’t have happened.

In 3-5yrs when you meet other parents with twins/triplets/quads it’s a different connection...because you understand the crap they went through. I will never bitch after not sleeping 3 nights a guy behind me at the store told me to suck it up they just had quads. I was not made for quads;) but feel I’m getting paid back for what I did as a twin!

God Bless and Good Luck!!!
-jh

Reactions: TheIcebox
Re: Tom Cruise

#9, 10 - Vincent and Ron Kovic are WAY TOO LOW on your list.

He was also very good as Lestat in the Interview With the Vampire. John Anderton as well (Minority Report).

The Firm, Interview With the Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, Minority Report are underrated films.

Oh, The Last Samurai is also good.
Jack Reacher?

Other than create one of the strongest spines in Europe by spending record money on a world-class goal-keeper and centre-back. No team in the EPL has a better pair of fullbacks. The team had the second best defensive record in the EPL in the second half of last season.

But, yeah... keep talking those outdated talking points.

I still don’t think it’s enough on defense for the long run, but we shall see.

They’re definitely way better than my gooners, so you’ll smile more than I will this season.

I get that. But the question was why would Scientology make it hard to like Tom Cruise as an actor. Not reasons why one would not like Scientology.

I guess it’s hard for some people to separate the two.

I legitimately wonder how @Ketchum leaves All The Right Moves off the list. On a football board. For a movie based around teenage sex, and the perils and pitfalls of football recruiting?

Not even an honorable mention?

3 Star Ampipe, PA CB Stefan Djordjovic was an emergent character in the arc of American film.
Oh, it was honorable mention, if I had listed honorable mention.

Reactions: TexasJiggerNaut
great write up Ketch. The thing about Cruise is he has made very few bad movies the Mummy remake was terrible but i can't really think of any others. Ketch's list was very good but Edge of Tomorrow needs to be on it but kicking one off isn't easy.
I really do dig that movie.

First

What a week, also @Ketchum just found out I am having twins any advice?
@TheIcebox

Man, here's what I would tell you.

a. Get all the sleep you can get before they arrive.

b. The math early on sucks. For instance if both are 50-50 to sleep through the night when they are small, then there's a 75-percent chance every night will be interrupted. Just embrace those 25-percent nights.

c. Get a bigger car.

d. There will be stretches when it feels like someone is always sick in your home because everything gets passed along to each other and when they get around kids of their own age, shit you've never heard of will part of the deal. It gets better, but there will be months in those first three years when your home will feel like a scene from themovie Outbreak. It gets better.

e. Don't freak out if the twins arrive early. Premature babies and twins go hand in hand. As long as your wife can get through 27-28 weeks, modern medicine is pretty incredible. My wife made it to 32 1/2 weeks and the babies spent 4-5 weeks in NICU, but it was never scary.

f. Make a playlist of calming music that you can play and sing to them when they are newborns. Your touch and your voice will work like magic to them. My kids loved West Texas lullaby by Toni Price.

Finally, be prepared to be overwhelmed with love.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT