ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (An open letter to Sark)

I would too. That Texas team was ranked #1 a couple of weeks earlier in the season and was still in the driver’s seat for the SWC crown before that egg in Waco.

Ironically enough, my first Texas game in person was the A&M game the very next week. 10 years old, with my dad (who passed away a year ago tonight).

I still remember vividly thinking we might finally get on the scoreboard only to see Jeff Ward’s FG get blocked and returned for a near TD. The beginning of the 10-1 aggy streak.
Talk about bad timing. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: borna'horn
Well you asked.

For some added context, in the 20 other games at Texas, the Longhorn offense has averaged 8.7 yards per attempt versus only 5.7 yards per attempt they averaged against that scheme.

Only 3 times against other schemes did the offense average less than 7 yards per attempt (WV 2020, TCU 2020, and KU 2022).

Whether it's on Sark or the QB's, the fact remains that to date we haven't seen them have much success against that scheme.

It's not a magical scheme. He's seen tougher.

Reactions: threadkiller30
I’m probably misremembering an interview…I think he was taking heat for being on the staff that left Reggie on the sideline, so probably not his direct call. Nevertheless, the point is he’s been a head coach for a long time and shouldn’t need to learn lessons at this point.

Reactions: cooleyo
Glad we found the one guy who’s gonna miss playing Baylor. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bring It Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Reactions: streettopeschel
Lesson learned, right?

Here's hoping so.

Like you got any chops to judge whether a lesson is learned. You're a writer. A good one, yes. But you're out of of your league to judge a man who rolled through a national title game calling the plays. I'd love to see you and Sark have a debate on how to devise and execute a game plan. The only reason I'm in this site is for the family. The analysis is horseshit.

During the broadcast I thought it said Texas was 9th in the nation in dropped passes. So if Mitchell, Sanders, Worthy, and whit arnt dropping them then who is? Now I will say it wasn’t the issue yet, sooner or later if that stat is correct it will cost Texas a game or two

Reactions: DrHorn98
1. Washington is very good.

2. maybe, we'll see.

3. He's not better than Worthy. Stop.

4. Very possible.

5. Very possible.
Fair, it’s either Worthy or Barron. Don’t act like Jahdae isn’t in his league. There’s a reason they’re best friends. Game recognize game.

Reactions: Horn19
Man. Silver Wings back memories of singing with my mom while driving down the road together.

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
Like you got any chops to judge whether a lesson is learned. You're a writer. A good one, yes. But you're out of of your league to judge a man who rolled through a national title game calling the plays. I'd love to see you and Sark have a debate on how to devise and execute a game plan. The only reason I'm in this site is for the family. The analysis is horseshit.
Thanks for reading! Always enjoy your positivity and class.

During the broadcast I thought it said Texas was 9th in the nation in dropped passes. So if Mitchell, Sanders, Worthy, and whit arnt dropping them then who is? Now I will say it wasn’t the issue yet, sooner or later if that stat is correct it will cost Texas a game or two
How many drops do you think they have had through the two games going into the game last night?

Fair, it’s either Worthy or Barron. Don’t act like Jahdae isn’t in his league. There’s a reason they’re best friends. Game recognize game.
Jahdae isn't in his league. That's not a knock against him.

Well you asked.

For some added context, in the 20 other games at Texas, the Longhorn offense has averaged 8.7 yards per attempt versus only 5.7 yards per attempt they averaged against that scheme.

Only 3 times against other schemes did the offense average less than 7 yards per attempt (WV 2020, TCU 2020, and KU 2022).

Whether it's on Sark or the QB's, the fact remains that to date we haven't seen them have much success against that scheme.

Complex answer to a very confusing scheme depending on the ability to execute post snap looks to the QB. The quick answer is run the ball until they can stop it. But in the passing game it requires great protection and patience. Neither of which we’ve been great against when facing this scheme. There are “hot spots” or soft spots behind the pressures and with there always being 3 high the deep game becomes more difficult. Pressure packages are designed to get the ball out quick with DB’s jumping hot reads.

End of the day, run the ball well and it changes a lot of things. Protect well and allow the QB to let routes develop.

Last thing is WR’s have to know when to squat in zones. Saw it with AD last night on the ball behind him. He can’t run himself in to opposite field coverage.

Gotta pick on the FS vertically with seam/corner pressure.

Reactions: HOFFSTRADAMUS
You said; "Anyone that believes that Neyor is an obvious key player in 2024 isn't paying attention to what Sark is telling us with his usage through three games."

Couldn't that just mean Sark doesn't think Neyor is fully healed? But expects him at full speed next year?

Well you asked.

Sark coached against the same Arkansas defense led by the same DC in 2020 at Alabama and won 52-3... in Fayetteville. He dropped a 48-7 bomb on Odom the year before.

Sark's career didn't start at Texas.

I'm beginning to think that Ewers is a head case. I'm not trusting this guy to drive the bus. Rice and Wyoming? Same old shit around here. Me included.

Like you got any chops to judge whether someone is a head case or not. You're a (not sure). A good one, maybe. But you're out of of your league to judge a kid that has stood in front of a crowd of 100,000_+ and delivered the best road game passing performance in the history of Texas football. I'd love to see you and Ewers have a debate on what is and isn't a head case and how you're fit to determine it. The only reason I'm on this site is because I own it. The analysis is pretty awesome..

The offensive sluggishness felt 75% poor play calling and 25% player driven. Top 5 teams should not let a team like Wyoming dictate your scheme. You nailed it @Ketchum - that was not all gas no brakes and hearing comments suggesting defensive scheming by Wyoming is a lesson Sark needs to learn. If you have BAMF on your wallet, that’s not how you roll.

You said; "Anyone that believes that Neyor is an obvious key player in 2024 isn't paying attention to what Sark is telling us with his usage through three games."

Couldn't that just mean Sark doesn't think Neyor is fully healed? But expects him at full speed next year?
It could. But, I don't think he's the type to wait on guys.

The egregious part of the spotting of the ball on that 2nd down wasn’t even the spot, it was that replay didn’t do their job and correct it. The reason replay was invented was to correct mistakes like that.
It’s not a reviewable play

There's probably concern until Sark makes us stop being concerned.
Sark’s excuse that the defense wasn’t what he expected is some of the most disturbing coach speak I’ve ever read. Adjusting is called coaching. It’s took Sark 3+ quarters to decide he needed to try something different? When is the last time you heard an opposing coach say “Texas did things we didn’t expect and hadn’t seen on tape”?

Sark’s excuse that the defense wasn’t what he expected is some of the most disturbing coach speak I’ve ever read. Adjusting is called coaching. It’s took Sark 3+ quarters to decide he needed to try something different? When is the last time you heard an opposing coach say “Texas did things we didn’t expect and hadn’t seen on tape”?
agreed

Reactions: wfoot1 and DrHorn98
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT