ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (An open letter to Sark)

We are in agreement here my man. He’s just got to be better. That shouldn’t be Sarks excuse at this stage at this job. A sudden shift of a defense by Wyoming shouldn’t throw your whole damn team off for 3/4 of a game. A better team whips that ass. It’s all there for him if he can sort it out though.
simple as that.

One of the really dumb calls Sark made was the 3rd and 1 from the Wyoming 20 and we run a double reverse? WTH was Sark doing? I mean we almost lost 20 yards on the play. I don't have a problem if you want to take a shot in the Endzone and then go for it on 4th and 1? Fine. But a double reverse? That's crazy...
He admitted that one was dumb and he'd like to have it back.

@Ketchum
Damn, hard to believe I've been watching Texas play Baylor this long.
I personally need a see The Horns crush Baylor. That may or may not erase my memory of seeing us lose there twice with Earl Campbell on our team.
Every time we go to Waco, the picture on the front page of the Daily Texan creeps into my mind. There we were, two of my brothers and I-and friends- sitting there completely shocked as we watched the 1974 "Miracle on the Brazos" happening.
Dear Lord, please don't let it happen again, especially not this year!

You aren't the only one that needs to see Texas crush them. Leave no doubt this weekend, Sark.

Reactions: DrHorn98
I was playing a Merle mix on Spotify in my truck just yesterday. Very difficult for me to rank his songs. I will tell you that I spent many evenings in Austin at the Silver Dollar dancing to "Silver Wings."

I was playing a Merle mix on Spotify in my truck just yesterday. Very difficult for me to rank his songs. I will tell you that I spent many evenings in Austin at the Silver Dollar dancing to "Silver Wings."
same. tuesday was free admission with student ID and $1.50 pitchers of budwieser. bad hangovers followed

After watching all the top teams now there is no team raned in the top 10 Texas cannot beat. The kicker we could also lose to everyone one them if we don't come ready to play.

This season is about to get real interesting and fun..
I agree with your analysis, but want to expand upon it.

Not only can we beat or lose to every team in the top 10 depending on which UT team shows up, but also, we could lose to many teams ranked 11-40 if the team that allowed Wyoming to be tied with us in the 4th quarter shows up.

Yes, it will be an interesting season, but I'd trade some of the interesting for a lil kick-ass boredom.

There's some great album cuts on the Pancho and Lefty album with Willie...

Half a Man
Reasons to Quit
All the Soft Places to Fall

Reactions: Ketchum
just a few thoughts

Not shocked the team was flat after the past 7-8 days. This team has no previous experience on how to deal with top 5 level success hopefully it was a learning teaching moment.

The play calling was a mess, no way to candy coat it. One of the things with Sark it seems is if its a game like Bama you will get all of the wrinkles, motions and gadgets but if its not a "big" game you will get the 7th grade b-team play sheet.

Ketch has pointed out Texas has had a steady and healthy number of kids leave the program every off season. I think with the way Texas is starting to stack up some talent this might be the off season we start to see some solid (not super high level) players recognize they are being recruited over and look for opportunities for themselves. Texas has very few of those "why was he offered " kids anymore and they will want to find a way on the field somewhere.

This might just be me and something I'm nit picking....I fell like I see Jake Majors standing around at the end of a play looking over a pile doing nothing than any player I can ever remember.

the WR rotation drives me nuts. (probably just something I'm not understanding )But I see the DE/DL rotation and were are bringing in bodies right and left but at the wr position were asking Worthey, Mitchell and Whittington to run 60-70 full-blown snaps.

I'm excited to see the Southwest conference scum start to fall off the schedule some of this shit has been latched on bringing nothing to the table for going on 40 yrs. Baylor will get their last big crowd payday off Texas.

Reactions: DrHorn98 and Horn19
I kind of thought Sark should have been running it more. Brooks was doing well. So that's the opposite of your take. In my mind, Sark was forcing pass because well.....that's what he likes to do.

Reactions: eyes_of_texasb21
I kind of thought Sark should have been running it more. Brooks was doing well. So that's the opposite of your take. In my mind, Sark was forcing pass because well.....that's what he likes to do.
I was at the game and have never seen a more frustrating passing attack than what was there. I don't disagree with your point, but I want to add this thought.

EVERYTHING was a quick hitter to the sideline. WR screen, bubbles, etc. When they went downfield it was sideline to like Gunnar Helm, which was so weird. Not a single deep shot.

I'm not sure if a Texas wide receiver really ever even ran a route that took him 15+ yards down field over the middle. I'm sure I'm being facetious but you get the point.

At one point in the 3rd quarter I just threw my hands in the air and yelled "What are we even doing?". I honestly have no clue what was going on, it looked like junior high offense to me. Incredibly weird.

Odom is a really good defensive coach.

yet, he got skull-****ed by Sark in 2020.
By running the ball? Yes, Sark couldn’t throw it worth a damn that game
Bama Vs Arkansas 6.9 yd per attempt
Texas Vs Wyoming 6.2 yd per attempt

Last edited:
Your reflections on the game plan was spot on. Honest, straightforward. My question is this..,do you believe his staff will do the same. To be great he has to listen. Will they be an honest soundboard or yes guys?

I love that we are winning, but for some reason I still have serious doubts that Sark can lead us to double digit wins. He showed a lot of weakness with his play calling against Wyoming. Just because they showed some alignments he wasn’t expecting he backed off the gas instead of forcing them to play our game he weakened and played into their plans. Scary

I was at the game and have never seen a more frustrating passing attack than what was there. I don't disagree with your point, but I want to add this thought.

EVERYTHING was a quick hitter to the sideline. WR screen, bubbles, etc. When they went downfield it was sideline to like Gunnar Helm, which was so weird. Not a single deep shot.

I'm not sure if a Texas wide receiver really ever even ran a route that took him 15+ yards down field over the middle. I'm sure I'm being facetious but you get the point.

At one point in the 3rd quarter I just threw my hands in the air and yelled "What are we even doing?". I honestly have no clue what was going on, it looked like junior high offense to me. Incredibly weird.
I kept thinking I was watching Greg Davis football with those sideline passes.

Reactions: coopdog
It's amazing what having great players will do.
No doubt. The problem is I don’t think Texas has quite achieved the type of cumulative talent on their roster to where they are so overwhelmingly better, especially at the QB position, that bad coaching stops mattering. If you look at the 2020 Arkansas game, the passing game played well below their season average, but Sark countered that by running the ball A LOT. Yet, this past Saturday it took him until the 4th quarter to start really exploiting the run game. In future games against the 3-3-5 he needs to do this sooner and not force the passing game if it isn’t there. Michael Griffin and Brian Robison echoed this at halftime.

Sark would have looked a lot better if his quarterback had been accurate and his receivers had caught balls they got their hands on.

And the offensive line hadn't had 3 false starts.

I agree with your analysis, but want to expand upon it.

Not only can we beat or lose to every team in the top 10 depending on which UT team shows up, but also, we could lose to many teams ranked 11-40 if the team that allowed Wyoming to be tied with us in the 4th quarter shows up.

Yes, it will be an interesting season, but I'd trade some of the interesting for a lil kick-ass boredom.
+1

I just watched 10 Merle Haggard videos. My day is off to a good start. Thank you.
Thanks Thank You GIF by BET Awards

Bijan had 172 yards in his second game. The NFL teams that didn't trade up to get him (Bills, etc.) because "you don't draft an RB that high" simply didn't understand what they could have been getting. Imagine how much better the Bills or the Eagles would be with him as a weapon. With Bijan, the Eagles may well be a favorite to reach the Super Bowl. With Bijan, the Bills would not have lost last week.

If Sark and the Horns learned anything from this game it needs to be this--Its not going to be enough to win this year,you can not afford for games to even be close,not with the Big 12 refs,the Big 12 is going to do everything it can to see anyone but Texas or OU go out as Champions.

The only way UT is going to win is if they dominate every game,if its close you are going to lose by bad calls, this is obvious to anyone paying attention. You are going to get really bad calls and you have to respond and score again to the point it makes them look stupid. They dont seem to mind looking stupid some,but even they wont risk their jobs if you keep throwing it back in their face enough. But if its a close game and they can affect the outcome,they will,guarnteed.--utx

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT