ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Can the state of Texas be what UT wants it to be?)

No, the point is that it renders any seasons without championship pieces as meaningless and puts the focus completely on finding those pieces.

That focus led the Sixers to Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons.
Winning programs don't have that limitation. It doesn't take a failed season in order for them to understand their needs and focus on them. Winning programs are proactive, not reactive. Waiting until a situation turns into a disaster before addressing it sounds very Charlie Strong to me.

As a 76ers fan maybe you're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. ;)

Moonlight @ 8 costs you a lot of credibility
a. It's an incredibly tough year at the top.

b. I just didn't think Moonlight was awesome. I thought the first 2/3 was terrific, but the final 1/2 brought the score down.

c. I'm not a sheep. I don't parrot what everyone else is saying.

Ketch,

I know you said you did not want to get into it yet, but while I am not arguing against the greatness of Rodgers, the reality is if Garrett knew how to game clock manage, Rodgers never sees the ball in regulation once we had it on that last drive. Horrific time management, from the spike to throwing on the 3rd and 3, just pitiful. Any coach worth his salt in game clock management in that situation makes damn sure we are trying to win first, then be sure to kick the tying field goal as time expires. Garrett lost the game for us.

And then you also have to ask why the hell were we not rushing 5 on that last play, dropping 6 in coverage to be sure to NOT give Rodgers time for such crazy heroics. Stupid and sad.

Reactions: FriscoHorn93
Winning programs don't have that limitation. It doesn't take a failed season in order for them to understand their needs and focus on them. Winning programs are proactive, not reactive. Waiting until a situation turns into a disaster before addressing it sounds very Charlie Strong to me.

As a 76ers fan maybe you're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. ;)
Shaka Smart was just very proactive.

I know you don't understand it, but the Sixers were as proactive towards winning a championship as anyone.

Ketch,

I know you said you did not want to get into it yet, but while I am not arguing against the greatness of Rodgers, the reality is if Garrett knew how to game clock manage, Rodgers never sees the ball in regulation once we had it on that last drive. Horrific time management, from the spike to throwing on the 3rd and 3, just pitiful. Any coach worth his salt in game clock management in that situation makes damn sure we are trying to win first, then be sure to kick the tying field goal as time expires. Garrett lost the game for us.

And then you also have to ask why the hell were we not rushing 5 on that last play, dropping 6 in coverage to be sure to NOT give Rodgers time for such crazy heroics. Stupid and sad.
well, yeah, Garrett is a total JAG.

… I don’t know how the Houston Texans pull it off, but that team needs to go get Tony Romo. It’s a gamble, but what else can they do?

So Romo can get hurt (out for the season ) on the first play? Draft a QB, that's the only answer.

I think you are looking at this issue from a Cowboys Fan POV.

Shaka Smart was just very proactive.

I know you don't understand it, but the Sixers were as proactive towards winning a championship as anyone.
I have a hard to buying Shaka Smart was proactive in the way he managed the impending loss of 2 points guards from last year's team. A proactive approach would've found a bridge solution at PG to get the team through this season while working on an elite PG for next season and beyond.

I won't argue that the 76ers were not proactive, I'm arguing their "process" is flawed. Don't confuse good intention with being a good idea. Multi-year tanking turned them into a franchise that perpetually loses a lot of games and is a permanent fixture at the top of the draft but never competes for anything. No good organization would use their process. The 76ers are a bad organization with a flawed philosophy.

Reactions: k2lwalsh
I have a hard to buying Shaka Smart was proactive in the way he managed the impending loss of 2 points guards from last year's team. A proactive approach would've found a bridge solution at PG to get the team through this season while working on an elite PG for next season and beyond.

I won't argue that the 76ers were not proactive, I'm arguing their "process" is flawed. Don't confuse good intention with being a good idea. Multi-year tanking turned them into a franchise that perpetually loses a lot of games and is a permanent fixture at the top of the draft but never competes for anything. No good organization would use their process. The 76ers are a bad organization with a flawed philosophy.
Tanking has put the Sixers into a position to be a force, possibly a championship level force in the near future.

Tanking has put the Sixers into a position to be a force, possibly a championship level force in the near future.
Walk me through this because I don't spend a lot of time following the cellar NBA teams.....
- How many years from today do you project the 76ers competing for a championship?
- How many years ago did they start tanking?

In other words, let's assume their process works, how many years does it take for their process to work? Let's quantify it so we can compare it to other NBA "processes." And it's a big leap to assume it will work, but I'll play along.

Reactions: k2lwalsh
Walk me through this because I don't spend a lot of time following the cellar NBA teams.....
- How many years from today do you project the 76ers competing for a championship?
- How many years ago did they start tanking?

In other words, let's assume their process works, how many years does it take for their process to work? Let's quantify it so we can compare it to other NBA "processes." And it's a big leap to assume it will work, but I'll play along.
The only way to win a title is to secure transcendent players. For 90-percent of the league, the only way to get your hands on that kind of player is through the draft.

Joel Embiid is a transcendent player that could only be obtained by having a top three pick.

No, I would not rather be the No.8 seed in the playoffs at the expense of having a player like him, by any means needed.

As Embiid develops, Simmons is added to the mix at point guard and two more lottery picks arrive next fall, I would think the Sixers are two years away from being really salty in the East.

Tough to know just yet because of the limited ample size.

1. Wow. Just, wow. The talent conversation must be addressed.

2. Who on the Oklahoma state staff is evaluating Texas talent? We need to keep an eye on them.

3. Brady could have made that throw, IMO, but your point is heard. Brady will always be hard to evaluate individually because of the strength of the coaching staff and their team building operations, but both QBs have done amazing things with both good players, and role players, around them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
The only way to win a title is to secure transcendent players. For 90-percent of the league, the only way to get your hands on that kind of player is through the draft.

Joel Embiid is a transcendent player that could only be obtained by having a top three pick.

No, I would not rather be the No.8 seed in the playoffs at the expense of having a player like him, by any means needed.

As Embiid develops, Simmons is added to the mix at point guard and two more lottery picks arrive next fall, I would think the Sixers are two years away from being really salty in the East.
When did they start tanking? Wasn't it like 5 years ago?

1. Wow. Just, wow. The talent conversation must be addressed.

2. Who on the Oklahoma state staff is evaluating Texas talent? We need to keep an eye on them.

3. Brady could have made that throw, IMO, but your point is heard. Brady will always be hard to evaluate individually because of the strength of the coaching staff and they're team building operations, but both QBs have done amazing things with both good plays, and role players, around them.
1. Yeah, man...

2. Good question.

3. No way Brady makes that throw rolling left near the sideline 50 yards down the field. One man makes that throw. Maybe ever.

How much of this talent disappointment relates to the "entitlement" theories we heard from Strong a few years back? I do think that entitlement is an issue with highly ranked talent in Texas and I think it limited the performance of some of Mack's teams.

There sure are a whole lot of 2 & 3 stars on Ketch's list (very few 4's & 5's).

… Joe Montana and Tom Brady don’t make that throw that Aaron Rodgers made today to beat Dallas. They just don’t. We’re watching the GOAT on a heater right now.
Ketch, both Montana and Brady make that throw along with a few others that I have seen-Roger S., John E., Terry B.-just to name a few. Rodgers is an excellent qb; however, to say he is the GOAT is pretty big reach since he does not qualify as the best qb to ever play for Green Bay. Starr had five nfl championships to his name including the first two super bowls.

Reactions: BevosRevenge
If you’re Texas and the overwhelming percentage of your players comes from your home state, what do you do when the home state doesn’t produce game-changing talent … say at offensive line … or tight end … or defensive tackle … or linebacker?

There is one answer to this and Herman better followup with the momentum Strong built up... LOUISIANA.

Maybe some stats on OL, DL, and LB from that state could be useful? I suspect they outperform the mean.

Agreed. There has to be that win in Herman's first season, ala Mack's 98 team going into Lincoln, Nebraska and pulling off a shocking win - a win that alters the trajectory and expectations of what Texas can do. Look at Penn State, they really took off after their upset of Ohio State and didn't lose again until their bowl loss.

Herman's teams tend to do that in big games. But I suspect it will be later in the season when the team really becomes "his".

Last edited:
How much of this talent disappointment relates to the "entitlement" theories we heard from Strong a few years back? I do think that entitlement is an issue with highly ranked talent in Texas and I think it limited the performance of some of Mack's teams.

There sure are a whole lot of 2 & 3 stars on Ketch's list (very few 4's & 5's).
a. I think there's probably some element of entitlement, but that's a culture issue within prgrams more than anything else. You don;t hear a lot of that in previous years from Baylor, TCU, etc..

b. In a four year window, the talent poo, breaks down like this:

5 stars: around 10
4 stars: around 150
3 stars: around 600
2 stars: around 1,500
Unranked: around 50,000

Based on the team created:

5 stars: 40-percent chance of making the team.
4 stars: 9-percent chance of making the team.
3 stars: 3-percent chance of making the team
2 stars: 0.5-percent chance of making the team.

They essentially tanked for 3 seasons. The alternative was to be average and not have a transcendent player.
Let's do the math. 3 seasons in the tank + this season + 2 more seasons before they can compete at the top of the East = 6 seasons. 6 seasons is a long arc and there's still a lot of uncertainty.

"The Process" has a lot of risk:
- One of the assumptions, and it's a big one, is that you can retain the draft picks as they hit free agency
- It assumes none of the high picks are busts
- Quality free agents will be willing to sign with you and you can fill out a rotation

Still a long ways to go and I'll remain skeptical until we see some results in terms of W/L's. Good luck to the 76ers.

We got off track, but my original point was "trusting the process" doesn't inspire confidence when it's the mantra of the cellar dwelling 76ers.

… Joe Montana and Tom Brady don’t make that throw that Aaron Rodgers made today to beat Dallas. They just don’t. We’re watching the GOAT on a heater right now.
Ketch, both Montana and Brady make that throw along with a few others that I have seen-Roger S., John E., Terry B.-just to name a few. Rodgers is an excellent qb; however, to say he is the GOAT is pretty big reach since he does not qualify as the best qb to ever play for Green Bay. Starr had five nfl championships to his name including the first two super bowls.
None of them have the physical gifts to make that throw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT