ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Channeling my inner Matthew... )

Good piece by Ketch for an overreacting fan base.

Having played the position, I disagree that one QB needs absolutely needs to be taking every first-team rep possible.

The key is how many reps a guy gets, not necessarily that he gets them entirely with first-teamers. (BTW, all the first-teamers are yet to be determined.) From what the staff is saying, the offense runs 100-120 plays per practice, which should give both QB candidates 50-60 plays, on top of other drills. That's a lot of reps.

Longhorn history is full of QBs who were successful stepping into the starting role without exclusive pre-season reps with the first team: James Street in 1968; Randy McEachern in 1977; Major Applewhite in 1998; and Chance Mock in 2004.

Getting exclusive first-team reps may be even less essential in Gilbert's spread offense with so many people rotating in and out. In light of the rotation, it may be more important for each QB to get practice with all of the first and second teamers.

The sudden notion around here of the mods obsessing on the reps is strange to say the least. Texas has a QB competition. The notion swoopes wouldn't get any first team reps the first week or two of camp if he wasn't going to start is the dumbest thing I've seen on here in awhile. Both qbs are learning a new offense and competing for the job. There is no hard rule a starter has to named with weeks left in camp and game prep hasn't even started yet. Now they are spinning swoopes doesn't need as much practice. I get they are doubling down on anwars report but come on.

The reps arent Even per most places.
we're obsessing over it because it matters and we've had sourcing confirm it.

I'm not being any more hateful to Gilbert than you are to Cherry. As soon as he lost the job to McCoy/Ash he shut down his season and had surgery. Then he decided to visit another school mid-season and announce his transfer mid-season. I think we would have a lot of problems if every time someone lost a starting job they decided to shut down their season and start looking at new schools.
And about that whole ugliness thing in the stadium that day of the BYU game?

This continued narrative by the mods is the most perplexing. If they want to double down cause they like their source fine. But using asinine arguments to do it is irritating.
why is it perplexing? You understand that there's a second-team offense that he could be taking just as many reps with if Buechele is going to be the starter, right?

we're obsessing over it because it matters and we've had sourcing confirm it.

You also had a source saying swoopes has blown Shane out of the water in camp...

I'm just saying even from a common sense perspective that if there was a legit battle for QB expecting one guy to not get any reps with the 1s the first week or two of camp makes no sense. If that were the case you would basically be appointing a starter in advance and rigging the competition. There are also people that disagree the reps have been equal recently. Conflicting sources leaves one to guess at best

Reactions: BurntOrangeGlasses
That is our point. We don't have a sure fire starter yet. Despite what you guys keep trying to shove down our throats.
I don't believe the team has a sire-fire starter, so you're absolutely wrong to suggest I'm trying to shove something down your throat outside of a little logic.

@Ketchum why do you keep saying that "everyone can agree that if the coaches know they are going to start SB then he should get every snap in practice"?

I disagree. If I was installing a new offense I would give both my QB's reps. Especially when I knew both would play at some point. And ESPECIALLY when one of them was a smaller young freshman who may get dinged up throughout the year and I may be forced to play his backup exclusively.

It would be different if swoopes had been in this offense for 4 years. But he's been in this offense the exact same amount of time as SB.

I'm not saying the coaches have made up their minds. But acting like there's no reason other than what you and Anwar have reported is simply not the case. Unless of course you're trying to stir the pot and create more subs and clicks. In that case, bravo
You know there's a second-team offense for the loser of the quarterback to take reps with, right?

Tons of reps.

The feeling is that Swoopes doesn't need the same amount of reps as Buechele. Right or wrong, that is the feeling
If I were CS and was planning on starting Buechele, who ran this offense in HS, and wanted a well-prepared backup QB with no prior experience with the hurry up spread, I might well decide it prudent to have the backup share snaps. CS would be roasted by the fans and media if Swoopes was not ready to perform in a backup role.

It seems to be the biggest sticking point between you and most on the board.

You believe because he is a senior he needs less reps. I tend to agree with the premise but it's hard for me when we have seen Swoopes. He is antsy in the pocket, has accuracy issues, and holds the ball too long.

The only way to help cure some of those is reps and confidence. If he is indeed way out in front as Anwar suggested and you support then naming him the starter and giving him a more uneven split of first team reps seems appropriate.
Less reps with the first-team offense. In general, if he's not going to be the starter, give Shane all of the reps with the 1s.

Some of you are making this harder than it is.

I still believe Buechele should be the starter.

I'm telling you that all these months later, it matters less and less with each passing day.

Ok, I will buy that. However, is it just me or does it seem odd or at least confusing that everything seen by everyone else, including you, demonstrates Shane as the more fluid, with quicker decision making, better thrown balls- hitting receivers on wide receiver screens and such where they can catch the ball in stride, only to be told by the source that Swoopes is so far ahead that it "isn't even close."? Seriously, is this weird, am I missing something or are we in a different universe than the coaches?

Ok, I will buy that. However, is it just me or does it seem odd or at least confusing that everything seen by everyone else, including you, demonstrates Shane as the more fluid, with quicker decision making, better thrown balls- hitting receivers on wide receiver screens and such where they can catch the ball in stride, only to be told by the source that Swoopes is so far ahead that it "isn't even close."? Seriously, is this weird, am I missing something or are we in a different universe than the coaches?

You aren't missing anything as it has been weird to me also....I've gone back and watched the spring game and games from the last two years....lets just hope it is what's best for the team

Reactions: Jack87
@Ketchum never got an answer in Anwars column. Last year Jim Mora announced Josh Rosen as starter August 27th, Bobby Petrino announced Lamar Jackson as a starter September 7th. Both guys were true freshman QBs and there was zero question noth guys were the most talented QBs on the roster and likely to be the guy at QB but they split reps all fall camp. Why do we act like Strong is doing a disservice by not announcing Shane as a starter right now when there really is no precedence for it? Rosen was splitting reps deep into August, did he not need all the #1 reps? Or maybe this is the way most coaches would and do handle this?
Sorry I missed it, but I had to do some research. I'll post it here and look for your question in my previous column.
Rosen was taking all of the first-team reps early in camp. In fact, he took all the first-team reps in his article on August 13
http://www.ocregister.com/ucla/first-677432-team-rosen.html

If you're using Rosen as the example, a team committed to started a true freshman usually doesn't split his reps so close to the start of the regular season.

Less reps with the first-team offense. In general, if he's not going to be the starter, give Shane all of the reps with the 1s.

If Shane is named the starter in the next couple weeks, what would you say was Strong/Gilbert's rationale for giving Swoopes 1st team reps? Are you implying the coaches don't know what they're doing?

Having played the position, I disagree that one QB needs absolutely needs to be taking every first-team rep possible.

The key is how many reps a guy gets, not necessarily that he gets them entirely with first-teamers. (BTW, all the first-teamers are yet to be determined.) From what the staff is saying, the offense runs 100-120 plays per practice, which should give both QB candidates 50-60 plays, on top of other drills. That's a lot of reps.

Longhorn history is full of QBs who were successful stepping into the starting role without exclusive pre-season reps with the first team: James Street in 1968; Randy McEachern in 1977; Major Applewhite in 1998; and Chance Mock in 2004.

Getting exclusive first-team reps may be even less essential in Gilbert's spread offense with so many people rotating in and out. In light of the rotation, it may be more important for each QB to get practice with all of the first and second teamers.
Great post. Not a big difference between first and second team at this point, and may not be a big difference between which QB gives you the best chance to win the opener.

Wait till the preparation week to freak out if the QB you prefer isn't getting the lion's share of first team work.

@Ketchum The factor missing from your QB decision tree, which I agree with, is the OC's role in this. I can only assume that if he had strong feelings, SG would be jumping up and down arguing for his guy. From the outside, I don't get the sense that SG sees an obvious choice. He seems content to get both guys ready, sort of sensing that he is going to need both...while maybe hoping one of them takes over in the meantime. I know folks here like to threaten CS's job security if he does X, but SG has a lot riding on the development of a QB.
I haven't been told that any jumping up and down has occurred.

images
Is he squinting?

You don't know that. No one does.

True, but there's a pretty big body of statistical and visual evidence on Mr. Swoopes. Unless he spent some serious time with a sports psychologist (which I think is his biggest problem - mental) and that psychologist did the Vulcan Mind Meld on him, I think we're all going to see that the same tiger just has new stripes. We didn't get a new tiger along with the stripes.

If I'm wrong and we now have a guy who looks like Goff, rock the F on. The chances of that are somewhere between .01% and 1%.

I can't bc I don't know
We don't have that
But I'd have no issue if privately the coaches had decided but are choosing to split in order to have 2 guys "ready"....based on several points you brought up (SB is frosh, huge first game, likelihood of both seeing the field anyway, etc)...think it's less of a deal than being made out to be
You can get the second-team guy ready with the second-team offense. That's how it works.

I think we get what you are saying but you refuse to see the other side.

It seems to be the biggest sticking point between you and most on the board.

You believe because he is a senior he needs less reps. I tend to agree with the premise but it's hard for me when we have seen Swoopes. He is antsy in the pocket, has accuracy issues, and holds the ball too long.

The only way to help cure some of those is reps and confidence. If he is indeed way out in front as Anwar suggested and you support then naming him the starter and giving him a more uneven split of first team reps seems appropriate.
2nd team offense. If you know who your starter is, he deserves to get all the reps with the 1s.

My larger point is the evidence suggests they don't know who their starter is.

Too much focus is being put on the wrong thing.

X factor is does Bell have suspension reduced and is he healthy...you win the titles at the end of the year
Otherwise it's Hopkins or Julio and I think Julio gets more stats

MANU!!!!!

Never seen that 3rd verse before with Purple Rain

I just can not believe in a team this young to win 8+

Both Qb's struggle all year in my opinion but SB will learn more from having Malik pick him off in practice over and over and will kill it by the end of the year
No way I'm taking Bell at five.

Reactions: cordpetee
Glad to see Michelle Carter make your thoughts. She won the 2016 Indoor Worlds, Olympic Trials, and the Olympics on her last throw in each one. She's clutch on a big stage.

Reactions: cordpetee

it feels like we're inventing a way of treating the quarterback position that is different than any way the position is handled in 99-percent of the college and pro situations we have to learn from.

Suddenly, the starting quarterback position isn't the most important position on the field and the starter isn't the most important player.

You also had a source saying swoopes has blown Shane out of the water in camp...

I'm just saying even from a common sense perspective that if there was a legit battle for QB expecting one guy to not get any reps with the 1s the first week or two of camp makes no sense. If that were the case you would basically be appointing a starter in advance and rigging the competition. There are also people that disagree the reps have been equal recently. Conflicting sources leaves one to guess at best
No, it doesn't leave one guessing. We're not guessing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT