ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Channeling my inner Matthew... )

So, wait until game week and that should be just fine?

Right now they are installing their offense with very little attention paid to ND. I would say at 10 days out, they will turn their focus to ND and their specific defensive formations and tendencies. So, yeah, its very important both QBs get as many reps as possible in this new offense, as the QB race stands right now.

If I were CS and was planning on starting Buechele, who ran this offense in HS, and wanted a well-prepared backup QB with no prior experience with the hurry up spread, I might well decide it prudent to have the backup share snaps. CS would be roasted by the fans and media if Swoopes was not ready to perform in a backup role.
I'll ask again, you know there's a second team offense that the backup quarterback can take a million reps with, right?

Ketch:

You need a better dictionary:

"Propaganda" is information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicise a particular political cause or point of view. Propaganda is often associated with the psychological mechanisms of influencing and altering the attitude of a population toward a specific cause, position or political agenda in an effort to form a consensus to a standard set of belief patterns.[1]

Yes, it is disappointing, and a bit weird when the Orangebloods staff starts selling a narrative, rather than pointing to adequate sourcing.

No, it doesn't leave one guessing. We're not guessing.

i would assume the Burtons and others of the world feel the same way. That's fine. I'm just saying there are conflicting reports out there. Your own logic on the reps doesn't even fit anwar's source claiming swoopes is beating Shane in a blowout. If that's the case then Shane shouldn't be getting at least half the #1 reps if the competition is a blowout

I'm still wondering how there could be a legit QB battle if one guy a week or two into camp was getting all the main reps

Reactions: BurntOrangeGlasses
I want to tell you a story…Now imagine he’s Garrett Gilbert.

Nice sentiment and no one should boo any kid, especially one that works hard to do his best for the team. However, that sentiment should not confuse the situation we are faced with. Emotions be damned, as you have said over the last couple of days…let’s use logic.

No. 2– Folks, we’ve been here before ...

Of course we have. That is the reason the fan base is so quick to light the fires and grab the pitchforks. However, the history of failure at this position does not alleviate the need to make the right decision THIS YEAR. In the end that’s what we all care about.

there are two absolutes that we can agree on.

The first one is that Tyrone Swoopes and Shane Buechele are both taking shared reps with the first-team offense. We can quibble about who has more snaps on any given day because those numbers are constantly varied, but not one person in the world would claim that up until now it has not been a shared position.

Agreed. Both are getting times with the ones although reports seemed varied on who gets the most snaps with the ones. There were a couple of recent reports that Shane gets more reps when the players are allowed to keep going if they move the chains. We have all seen that during the open practice as well and it should not surprise us that Shane is winning that battle. But agreed. Time is definitely split.

The second thing that we can all agree on is that if the coaches know with absolute certainty that Shane Buechele is going to start the opener, he needs to be taking every first-team rep that his human hands can get. We’re talking about a true freshman potentially playing in his first game in prime-time on a Sunday night against a top 10 team that just happens to be the most well-known program in college football.

If he takes 1,000 reps every day, it might not be enough if 1,001 are available. I feel like we can all agree to that, right?

No, I disagree. I firmly believe that Gilbert is smart enough to know that BOTH players are going to play against ND and during the season. Gilbert is a true freshman on the small side that likes to run. The odds are that Swoopes will be called on to play a little or a lot due to Shane getting his bell rung or just needs a few moments to collect himself are extremely high. On top of that, the 18 Wheeler is one hell of a package and we would be stupid to just throw that play away. Therefore, if you KNOW you are going to need both players at ND and during the season perhaps you play it conservatively so that both QBs are prepped in the new offense. The split reps are certainly mitigated by the fact that Gilbert’s total number of reps in practice is extremely high. Let’s say game 1 or game 3 Buechele gets hurt after receiving all the snaps and Swoopes hits the field unprepared for the new offense? You’ve just painted yourself in a corner when you knew there was a high probability of that happening.

The fact that both QBs are taking snaps does not automatically mean it is a Competition, but rather CONTINGENCY planning, which I think is an extremely wise move.

As crazy as it sounds, Tyrone Swoopes is ahead in the competition . Maybe not by a lot, but maybe not by a mere smidge, either. If this wasn’t the case, none of the last 384 words would have been written for reasons explained in those 384 words.

I have seen no evidence outside the recent OBs outlier reports to suggest this is even remotely true. It surely runs afoul of my own eyes. Let’s use your own analysis for that scenario, if Swoopes (your big Senior QB) is ahead, then why waste reps on a freshman that you don’t need to play? Swoopes certainly does not have the injury risk factor, Shane doesn’t have a proven specialty package, so if Swoopes is ahead, then why “waste valuable reps” on a true freshman? It doesn’t make sense. The Contingency plan with Shane ahead makes more sense.

The coaches aren’t stupid.

Regarding Gilbert, I agree, which is why I think both players receiving reps is about contingency planning for a situation that WILL come up. That is what I believe is happening. If that is NOT what is happening, then I have to believe that Strong is forcing this on Gilbert. As you explained, old school coaches do not like playing true freshman. It’s the conservative call. And if there is anything that describes Charlie Strong it is “conservative” and “slow to make changes”. We only need to think back to Shawn Watson and Jonathon Gray to see that he defaults with the devil he knows rather than the devil he doesn’t know, and contrary to his words, he does roll with a senior he “likes” even if there is a younger more dynamic player(s) behind him. My main assumption is that Gilbert is controlling the reps and not Strong. If I am wrong on that, then god help us all.

Freshmen… That’s 18 without really even flinching. That doesn’t include guys like Malcolm Roach, Chris Brown or Reggie Hemphill, guys I could also easily see getting on the field this season.

One of these days, there’s going to be a hellacious group of upperclassmen in this program, but it won’t be this year, as the numbers will dictate that somewhere between 40-50 sophomores, redshirt freshmen and true freshmen will be carrying a ton of water this season.

We can certainly agree on that. We need to win this season so we can keep that momentum going and these players have continuity of coaching.

Jerrod Heard is going to have an impact on offense this season. He’s taken to his new position like a duck to water. If he keeps showing out, the coaches are going to increase his workload significantly going into the Notre Dame game. There’s literally zero film of him doing anything at wide receiver anywhere and that’s a pretty big advantage to have, given his skill set.

One of the great stories emerging form this season. I am very happy this looks to be working out and proud of this young man for finding a way to make an impact for his team (and himself). I hope he blows it up.

Simone Biles is the first American gymnast to ever win three golds (vault, all-around champion and team champion) in the same Olympic games. Yeah, she’s kind of good. Three down, two to go and she’ll be the new GOAT in women’s gymnastics.

She is a class act with an extreme amount of power, but the GOAT? Has she had a perfect score? On any event? Also, (and this is not to take away from the young lady’s hard work and obvious talent) but I would like to see her compete with the old Soviet programs of the cold war. I don’t think she wins all those medals against that competition. Is she a contender? Perhaps. But given the history of that sport I can't give her that title yet.

For your review:

Olga Korbut

Olga Valentinovna Korbut, also known as the "Sparrow from Minsk", is a former Belarusian gymnast who won four gold medals and two silver medals at the Summer Olympic Games, in which she competed in 1972 and 1976 for the Soviet team.

Nadia Comăneci

Nadia Comăneci is a Romanian former gymnast, winner of three gold medals at the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal and the first gymnast to be awarded a perfect score of 10 in an Olympic gymnastics event. She also won two gold medals at the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow.

Reactions: The Sundance Kid
I think the real question is......what will our offense look like with regards to a specific QB being named starter? Strong has said both will play against ND. I can envision seeing Swoopes start the game to see how our running attack works. If it succeeds and we score on our first drive, we will continue until they stop us. If we are not successful with the run, Shane will come in and we will run a more balanced/slight more pass oriented offense. I think conservative play calling to start the game, with more aggressive calling depending on score/success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonathon Mox
So we all know that one of Swoopes big failure points has been an inability to make quick and good decisions when the defense out executes the offense in the early part of a play, eliminating the viability of the primary option. One could wonder if the previous O Staffs were any good at preparing for and teaching the QBs (and the rest of the offense for that matter) how to handle these situations, the outcome of which often highly influences the results of closely matched games. If Gilbert and Co. are as good an O Staff as we think they are, it will show in their ability to prepare Swoopes and Buechele and anybody else that ends up behind center sometime this season to handle them better than the QBs have in the CS era to this point.

2nd team offense. If you know who your starter is, he deserves to get all the reps with the 1s.

My larger point is the evidence suggests they don't know who their starter is.

Too much focus is being put on the wrong thing.
That I agree with

I think everyone is jumping on you guys for saying(atleast Anwar but you are agreeing) is that Swoopes is way out in front. I don't think the evidence supports that at all.

I think the evidence is they don't really know.

Ok, I will buy that. However, is it just me or does it seem odd or at least confusing that everything seen by everyone else, including you, demonstrates Shane as the more fluid, with quicker decision making, better thrown balls- hitting receivers on wide receiver screens and such where they can catch the ball in stride, only to be told by the source that Swoopes is so far ahead that it "isn't even close."? Seriously, is this weird, am I missing something or are we in a different universe than the coaches?
I think I tried to explain some if it. I think Shane's inexperience is playing against him with such a marquee first opponent.

Reactions: cordpetee
If Shane is named the starter in the next couple weeks, what would you say was Strong/Gilbert's rationale for giving Swoopes 1st team reps? Are you implying the coaches don't know what they're doing?
I'm implying that they don't know exactly what they are going to do yet, which flies in the face of what a lot of people believe (including me a week ago).

The moment they KNOW who they plan to start, that player should receive the first-team reps exclusively.

I don't believe the team has a sire-fire starter, so you're absolutely wrong to suggest I'm trying to shove something down your throat outside of a little logic.

You websites reporting suggests you do believe that .

True, but there's a pretty big body of statistical and visual evidence on Mr. Swoopes.
That's not the point. The point is you can only assume that Buechele will be better in a situation of super seriously raised magnitude. There's zero body of statistical and visual evidence.

On the other hand, Swoopes played a critical role against OU and Baylor last year, so it's not a total dud on his side of the ledger, even if you and I believe the same thing at the end of the day about him.

You also don't know of any coach that has tried to begin three straight seasons with Swoopes as the starting QB. Typically, coaches don't need to touch the hot stove three times before learning their hand is going to burn.

It's so unbelievable that you can't believe it until you see #18 running out there against Notre Dame.

Glad to see Michelle Carter make your thoughts. She won the 2016 Indoor Worlds, Olympic Trials, and the Olympics on her last throw in each one. She's clutch on a big stage.
The woman who was in the lead was absolutely incredulous when she saw Carter's final throw.

why is it perplexing? You understand that there's a second-team offense that he could be taking just as many reps with if Buechele is going to be the starter, right?

That arguement works both ways. If Swoopes was so far ahead it was not close then they could be giving him all the crust team reps and Shane the 2nd team ones.
Fact is that the facts support no conclusion. You keep ignoring that to bolster and "prove" a conclusion you believe to be true.

Right now they are installing their offense with very little attention paid to ND. I would say at 10 days out, they will turn their focus to ND and their specific defensive formations and tendencies. So, yeah, its very important both QBs get as many reps as possible in this new offense, as the QB race stands right now.
If you KNOW Buechele is going to start, you give him all the reps with the 1s and Swoopes takes all the reps with the 2s.

That's not happening.

I feel like we're running in circles here because a few folks can't grasp the whole he can take reps with the second-team reality.

Ketch:

You need a better dictionary:

"Propaganda" is information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicise a particular political cause or point of view. Propaganda is often associated with the psychological mechanisms of influencing and altering the attitude of a population toward a specific cause, position or political agenda in an effort to form a consensus to a standard set of belief patterns.[1]

Yes, it is disappointing, and a bit weird when the Orangebloods staff starts selling a narrative, rather than pointing to adequate sourcing.
k.

i would assume the Burtons and others of the world feel the same way. That's fine. I'm just saying there are conflicting reports out there. Your own logic on the reps doesn't even fit anwar's source claiming swoopes is beating Shane in a blowout. If that's the case then Shane shouldn't be getting at least half the #1 reps if the competition is a blowout

I'm still wondering how there could be a legit QB battle if one guy a week or two into camp was getting all the main reps
I can't worry about anyone else's reporting but our own. We're not outsourced on this one.

Yep. Fully aware. I'm also fully aware that you've never coached a day in your life. While I spent 10 years coaching at the 6A level. But carry on with your propaganda
You're also fully aware that I'm right or you'd have listed reasons for my being wrong instead of listing meaningless credentials.

This isn't rocket science and you having coached 10 years doesn't make you any more of an expert of this non-rocket science because you don't have to coach for 10 years to figure this stuff out.

But, carry on with your own propaganda

Why would Swoopes be taking reps with the second team if he's way ahead of Buechele and likely to start the Notre Dame game?
*sigh*

we're now run in so many circles that no one knows what were really talking about any more.

Reactions: slothrop
So we all know that one of Swoopes big failure points has been an inability to make quick and good decisions when the defense out executes the offense in the early part of a play, eliminating the viability of the primary option. One could wonder if the previous O Staffs were any good at preparing for and teaching the QBs (and the rest of the offense for that matter) how to handle these situations, the outcome of which often highly influences the results of closely matched games. If Gilbert and Co. are as good an O Staff as we think they are, it will show in their ability to prepare Swoopes and Buechele and anybody else that ends up behind center sometime this season to handle them better than the QBs have in the CS era to this point.
that would certainly be the hope.

That I agree with

I think everyone is jumping on you guys for saying(atleast Anwar but you are agreeing) is that Swoopes is way out in front. I don't think the evidence supports that at all.

I think the evidence is they don't really know.
Anwar's source said that and as I have explained repeatedly, don't focus on the literal sense of the remark and focus more on the fact that a high-level source feels strongly enough about his position on the subject that he would feel comfortable using hyperbole to support it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT