ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Charlie Strong is Norman Dale)

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Charlie Strong is Norman Da

Great as always, Ketch, but your Oscar "will wins" could not be further off. 12 Years a Slave will win most everything. You have to remember that a) most of the people that vote for these things are old men that never go to a movie theater and watch Gravity on the screener they were sent, which takes SO much away from the movie (I know this because I just described my grandpa), and b) 12 Years a Slave will get votes simply because of the guilt factor.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I hope your right about matthew winning the oscar cause that was a badass movie and i almost did'nt watch it.great 10 thoughts ketch.

Originally posted by goodHorn:
Ketch...my congratulations! Excellent piece of writing on the Strong way. Well done.
Ketch, I'll second that, nice job.

I'm pulling for CFS and my Horns.

Hook 'em

Finally DMB for the win. I've see them live over 20 times. I've been waiting for this.

Notable omissions and general thoughts:

Big Eyed Fish - in my top five.
Bartender
Proudest Monkey - a great great song.
Busted Stuff
Let You Down
Tomorrow / Back To Being Friends
Two Step - has to be top five has to be.
Why I Am
Funny The Way It Is
By the Bayou
Everyday
Dancing Nancies - in my top five.
Crush - nice inclusion.
Stonlen Away
Smooth Rider

All in all a solid DMB list though very different from my own. That is the beauty of DMB though, each song at each performance is a snowflake. Excellent analogy there. I literally have an "All DMB" playlist on my iPhone that is 200+ songs deep with multiple songs having 3,4,5 live versions.

On to The Horns:

I see a lot of like in this Baseball team. Not sure it's a CWS club but a S-Regional I can see.

CFS - Love what he is doing. Gonna do it his way and his team is gonna be tough, conditioned and disciplined. I can get on board with that.

Basketball - I haven't been buying all season. This week proved me right.

Really good stuff Ketch. Your relating the movie Hoosiers to Strong coming in is absolutely the best analogy I've ever read. One of your staff made the comment in one of his pieces that he though some of Strong's rules for the players were a "little lame". You nailed that reaction in your Hoosier comparison. Everyone thinks that they know what's best for the program but the reality is that their ass isn't on the line and the person whose ass is on the line, and is responsible, has a plan and has the success to back up that plan. I'm excited about what Strong brings to Texas and very interested to see which players want to play for Texas and which ones are the "pretenders" you talked about.

The reason Coach Strong has strength in his conviction is because he understands the foundation of success on a football field. All the X and O mambo jumbo doesn't mean squat if you are not physical or if you cannot block or you cannot tackle. I have no doubt that the results on the field will turn recruiting momentum, as people learn of his character, recruiting momentum will turn. I'm not at worried and I cannot wait to see what this team looks like in the fall.

Great read Ketch---really enjoyed the Hoosier/Hackman comparisons.

Greg Robinson is best prospect in this draft

Did you watch Dave sing Long Black Veil with Emmy Lou Harris?

Thanks for the great read.

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Charlie Strong is Norman Da

Originally posted by bigjoehutch:
Great as always, Ketch, but your Oscar "will wins" could not be further off. 12 Years a Slave will win most everything. You have to remember that a) most of the people that vote for these things are old men that never go to a movie theater and watch Gravity on the screener they were sent, which takes SO much away from the movie (I know this because I just described my grandpa), and b) 12 Years a Slave will get votes simply because of the guilt factor.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Such a stupid thing to say. It actually has a couple of things really going against it.

a. The British voting block miht view it as too American of a movie.
b. The harshness of the movie is too much for people.

Originally posted by golfpr3145:

Really good stuff Ketch. Your relating the movie Hoosiers to Strong coming in is absolutely the best analogy I've ever read. One of your staff made the comment in one of his pieces that he though some of Strong's rules for the players were a "little lame". You nailed that reaction in your Hoosier comparison. Everyone thinks that they know what's best for the program but the reality is that their ass isn't on the line and the person whose ass is on the line, and is responsible, has a plan and has the success to back up that plan. I'm excited about what Strong brings to Texas and very interested to see which players want to play for Texas and which ones are the "pretenders" you talked about.
Thanks for the kind words.

Originally posted by memhorn:

I did not. Got a link?

Proudest Monkey, Grace is Gone

Texas Hoops playing like a team that feels its work is done. They'd better win two more games in the regular season or that final ten and eye test could very well send us to the NIT- not to mention the seeding aspect of the NCAA tournament

#1 - The Space Between - best he's ever done and will ever do.
#41 is a great song, and his # 2.

You and Me is a pop ditty undeserving to be on the list.

Now I'm worthless until I find my copy of Hoosiers and watch it. It's been too long.

Adding to the frustration: the challenge of getting my teenage son to watch it with me if he's got something else going.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by memhorn:

I did not. Got a link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA3RKUHhN5A

Does this work as a link? My first attempt to do one.

Besides the great lyrics and great duet, I think this song is great at capturing Dave's guitar style.

Originally posted by Indyhorn:
Proudest Monkey, Grace is Gone

Texas Hoops playing like a team that feels its work is done. They'd better win two more games in the regular season or that final ten and eye test could very well send us to the NIT- not to mention the seeding aspect of the NCAA tournament
Stop. They played like a team playing on the road against a top 5 team playing a motivated A+ game.

They aren't going to the NIT...

Originally posted by forlornhorn:
Now I'm worthless until I find my copy of Hoosiers and watch it. It's been too long.

Adding to the frustration: the challenge of getting my teenage son to watch it with me if he's got something else going.
I watched it while I wrote my column yesterday. It's money each and every time.

1519137.jpg

No. 2 - Five more Hoosiers quotes that I wanted to use for various reasons …

"My practices aren't designed for your enjoyment."

Yes, I can hear Strong telling the Longhorns this in the first week of spring football.

"I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented."

Said by every Texas fan on the Internet.

"You know, if everyone is as nice as you, country hospitality is gonna get an awful name."

Strong while reading Orangebloods.com one hour into the job.

"You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Every day between three and five."

Pat Moorer in off-season workouts.

"I would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not. These six individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 23 nights for the next 4 months, to represent you, this high school. That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, when does Strong get his team in the locker room and tell them that he loves them?
This post was edited on 2/24 9:18 AM by Dave C2

At the very least, I'm hopeful this culture change can officially eliminate the 40-50 point ass kickings from the Sooners as well as performances like BYU last year giving up 600 yards rushing. These games each of the last 3 years were so embarrassing at a national level the team fell completely out of the rankings altogether and as a result, largely irrelevant for the remainder of the regular season.

Those type of losses just kill recruiting because of the negative momentum and energy it generates within the media.

Originally posted by Dave C2:

1519137.jpg

No. 2 - Five more Hoosiers quotes that I wanted to use for various reasons …

"My practices aren't designed for your enjoyment."

Yes, I can hear Strong telling the Longhorns this in the first week of spring football.

"I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented."

Said by every Texas fan on the Internet.

"You know, if everyone is as nice as you, country hospitality is gonna get an awful name."

Strong while reading Orangebloods.com one hour into the job.

"You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Every day between three and five."

Pat Moorer in off-season workouts.

"I would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not. These six individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 23 nights for the next 4 months, to represent you, this high school. That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, when does Strong get his team in the locker room and tell them that he loves them?
Damn skippy!

Originally posted by dallashorn02:
At the very least, I'm hopeful this culture change can officially eliminate the 40-50 point ass kickings from the Sooners as well as performances like BYU last year giving up 600 yards rushing. These games each of the last 3 years were so embarrassing at a national level the team fell completely out of the rankings altogether and as a result, largely irrelevant for the remainder of the regular season.

Those type of losses just kill recruiting because of the negative momentum and energy it generates within the media.
I think the elimination of those types of embarrassments is a safe bet.

Originally posted by dallashorn02:

I think the elimination of those types of embarrassments is a safe bet.
I honestly think the players would be afraid of what Moorer would do to them if they let themselves get embarrassed on the field.

Ketch -

Best write up you've ever done IMHO! Great analogy. I think we will know a lot about this team after the BYU and UCLA games early next year...

Great read Ketch!

I'm with you on Rousey.
wink.r191677.gif

Love me some Candice Swanepoel. How about getting an interview with her? Maybe see if she has any likes in sports, favorite team, etc... You would probably nut at the sound of her voice talking to you. Lmao!

Hook Em!!!

Originally posted by HORN4LIFE512:

Great read Ketch!

I'm with you on Rousey.
wink.r191677.gif

Love me some Candice Swanepoel. How about getting an interview with her? Maybe see if she has any likes in sports, favorite team, etc... You would probably nut at the sound of her voice talking to you. Lmao!

Hook Em!!!

Good idea! I'm on it.

Originally posted by HORN4LIFE512:

Great read Ketch!

I'm with you on Rousey.
wink.r191677.gif

Hook Em!!!
Don't give him ideas. That's my assignment.

Outstanding movie analogy, Ketch. The best one you've ever done. And I always enjoy them.

Just watched the entire five minutes of Fallon and Timberlake ... that's five minutes of my life I'm never going to get back. Thanks a lot. Timberlake is talented, but that clip just shows you don't have to have talent to be a rapper.

I thought the kid wearing the Pizza Hut tablecloth as a shirt was going to jump on Justin when they went into the crowd. Now that would have been worth five minutes.

Ketch,
I agree with a lot of your opinions on where 12 Years stands as the best movie as the acting and story is so powerful, but I actually think Cuaron deserves best director. The technological requirements of shooting a scene for Gravity are unmatched and the undertaking and overall scope of the vision needed to produce a movie like Gravity should be rewarded I think.

The technology involved basically is the worst possible scenario of animation and the worst possible scenario of a live-action shoot. There were different technologies that were involved that we created. What they all have in common is that they had to be pre-programmed. [Editor's note: It was a maddening, circular scenario: They knew that at the end of the actors' shoot, they'd have, basically, the voices of Bullock and Clooney as well as their faces ? which would be lit appropriately for the scene ? as the basic structural and timing elements around which they'd then animate. So they needed to conjure the finished product before the shoot in order to get the actors to do what would work.[/I]] So when we went to the shooting stage, everything was set in stone, meaning that we could not do adjustments, and meaning that the actors, there was very little room for actors to do changes, because the scene had to be exactly that length of time ? the timing was written in stone. The positions were written in stone. It was like, At that exact moment, [Sandra], you reach out with your hand like that. [/I]Everything was so millimetric. It was a testament to Sandra and George how they went through with all these technical, psychological limitations around them, how they make it seem effortless. Everything was very uncomfortable for the actors. [/I]

All question-asking aside, [Manziel's] short-shuttle time of 4.03 highlights the strength of his athletic skill set, much more so than straight-line speed or anything else.
As a comparison, only four CB's and WR's ran better at last year's combine, and it wasn't by much (4.01, 4.01, 4.02, and 4.02 respectively). Tavon Austin ran a 4.02. Manziel has elite change of direction skills on par with the quickest NFL DB's/WR's.

LINK

But as far as top end speed, he will get caught from behind in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT