ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Development matters, even more than recruiting...)

Not much info. Can we get some information about whats going on inside program? So many rumors floating around the broad, but very little answers. I really don't care about anything else at this point.
Just because you care of very little else, doesn't mean there wasn't info in the column.

Reactions: PaulieD
@Anwar Richardson

This explains why Okie St and TCU beat UT all the time...our recruiting really isn’t THAT much better than them. Four stars and three stars are very similar in quality based on Ketch’s metrics...most of them don’t make the NFL and the better coached players are not in burnt orange.

When UT was at its best under Mack, we had an overwhelming number of 5 stars and high 4 stars...if we don’t get many of those then our #5 recruiting ranking isn’t much better than their #20 ranking.
bingo. This warms my heart to know that someone is seeing the analysis correctly.

Reactions: MEP1992
What’s most concerning is the comment that Tom Herman has lost the team. If so (and I too believe that), why in the world does he get another year. Eat the cost, get rid of Herman, hire Urban and everything starts turning for the better. If not, quit showing up to games. 40,000 empty seat will speak volumes.
There were never 40,000 empty seats when Charlie was here.

B/S: Texas is not The Jonses. If we were we'd make the type of athletic department moves The Jonses make and we'd win championships. We're just good at fundraising.

Reactions: Holy Cow
And you equate those with murder? Based on his convictions, it seems extremely likely that the shootings he was convicted for weren't his first. So many red flags with this guy yet Urban kept him in the fold. Did you read the article?

Which of Mack's "thugs" were murderers?
He also ignored that Mack threw those guys out of the program, instead of enabling the behavior and protecting them.

So Texas has only nine players that are in the top two Rivals tiers. Duvernay is a senior and he is inarguably playing well. The other eight are comprised of five sophomores (maybe one or two are redshirt freshmen) and three true freshmen. Are we already writing these guys off and saying they will never develop? Or saying that they should already be playing at their peaks? Seems a little premature.

There is not a single offensive or defensive linemen among these nine players.

We are nowhere near Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU in terms of talent. And those teams have not only more talent but also tons more experienced talent.

I am like everyone else and not impressed with this coaching staff's play calling.

But this narrative that Tom Herman and his staff all need to be fired because they can't beat teams like Baylor and TCU and Iowa State who all have vastly inferior talent is simplistic at best. Their three stars are not that much less talented than our low four stars. And I would bet that all of those teams with their majority three star players have a lot more experience and have had more time to develop the talent they have.
No one is righting off the young players from that group.

Two things...

a. They need to be spread out across more positions. They all can't be wide receivers or defensive backs.

b. I expect at least half of those nine to be eventually drafted.

Good read Ketch.
Especially development, see TCU.
Quick (ignorant) question - in terms of coaching buy-outs - assuming guaranteed monies - what if said coach gets a job immediately at another school for same $$ - is there something written in contract that gets us off the hook or no?
Not completely sure.

We simply never see that type of consistent play from Sims. My gut is that he simply took advantage of a really really bad Cal team.
I agree, but it has to eventually start somewhere... or else.

If new oc is the way we are going to go, I would also like to see somebody from the outside come in. A name that I would like to consider would be Eric Bienemy the Kansas City Oc. Has worked with Andy Reid and it appears to be college friendly offense. I also think he has the potential to be a great recruiter.
He's an NFL guy all the way, though, unless he gets a big-time NFL job.

Ironically, he has some skeletons in his closet as well. He was actually banned from the CU campus at one point.

This is exactly why we're going to waste $30 million whether we fire him now or 3 years from now. By keeping him we just extend the mediocrity another 3 years, and there's a huge opportunity cost in doing that. In fact, it might end up costing us more.

Reminds me of my running argument with my wife over the years. Her answer to everything is to spend less money. My answer is to make more. You can only cut spending so much, but you can always make more. There's no way to account for how much retaining Herman will end up costing us.

Very good post. Revenue expansion is somewhat infinite, cost savings are by definition finite. The leverage generally lies in revenue expansion.

In my too many years of experience as a cpa and financial advisor, I've found that most people will drive across town to save a dollar, but won't walk across the room to pick one up off the floor- to exaggerate a point. It's an interesting phenomenum.

There is a very high likelihood, imo, that the most expensive choice will be retaining TH. The opportunity cost of failing to do now what you will eventually have to do later is probably high in this case.

Last edited:
Ugh, did not know that. I just feel the team needs a shot in the arm to get some momentum for next year. I’m not sure Fedora is it.

Joe Brady would certainly get a lot of attention, but LSU will fight tooth and nail to keep him

Ugh, did not know that. I just feel the team needs a shot in the arm to get some momentum for next year. I’m not sure Fedora is it.

Joe Brady would certainly get a lot of attention, but LSU will fight tooth and nail to keep him
No doubt.

Ketch, assuming LSU pays Brady high dollar coordinator money to retain. (Let’s say 1.5MM). Do they also bump Ensminger to at least that number? I would assume they’d have to, regardless of how big a company man he is. That’s pushing your budget up $2MM. Think they’d go there?

What about the other worker bee coaches? High and dry after a NC run?

There were never 40,000 empty seats when Charlie was here.

I don't think season ticket renewals are at near the same clip as when Mack was here, but still not horrible. I am actually surprised at how well we've filled the stadium lately despite 10 years of mediocrity. I had to endure the Mackovick years when I was in school and you could pretty much pick where you wanted to sit when he was here.

Reactions: royalewithcheese
Ketch, assuming LSU pays Brady high dollar coordinator money to retain. (Let’s say 1.5MM). Do they also bump Ensminger to at least that number? I would assume they’d have to, regardless of how big a company man he is. That’s pushing your budget up $2MM. Think they’d go there?

What about the other worker bee coaches? High and dry after a NC run?
I think it's hard to completely project at this point. New territory for LSU.

I think it's hard to completely project at this point. New territory for LSU.

Wouldn't paying Brady a boatload of money be the OC equivalent of hiring Strong/Herman as head coach? He has 1 year of experience and doesn't even call plays. If you're going to break the bank, why not go after a known play caller like Sarkisian or Harrell?

Nope.

My selected tools eliminates confirmation bias. There will be exceptions to the rule, as there is in almost everything else, but it's not opinion-based.
I don't see how this responds to what I wrote at all.

Wouldn't paying Brady a boatload of money be the OC equivalent of hiring Strong/Herman as head coach? He has 1 year of experience and doesn't even call plays. If you're going to break the bank, why not go after a known play caller like Sarkisian or Harrell?
Not in today's college football world IMO

ADVERTISEMENT