ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Don't be surprised when these things happen...)

“BUY or SELL: Herman addresses DFW recruiting after next season?

(Buy) There will be at least one change in the off-season on the coaching staff.”

The answer is the head coach at Kansas this season. Former high school coach in DFW for 11 years and absolutely shredded Texas recruiting DFW under Sumlin.

And he built the Rice no huddle offense with Herman.

Couldn’t be a better fit or homerun hire for Texas.
Hopefully better than your Joe Burrow prediction ;)

Emmitt Smith is not the best RB ever. He wasn’t even the best of his era.

Barry Sanders is the greatest. 99% of non Cowboy fans agree on this.

Naming Emmitt Smith the top running back of all time is laughable. I'm not sure he's top 10 but he's definitely not number 1.

Lol at Emmitt being the best all time. GTFOH. He wasn't even the best rb of his era. And I'm a cowboys fan!!

It comes down to the definition of “greatness.” I believe that winning is a huge part of greatness.

Karl Malone was an all-pro level PF, but I wouldn’t call him “great.” He didn’t win anything that mattered (outsides of Gold in Barcelona).

Winning is the point of the game, so you had to actually win champisohips and big games to be “great” IMO.

Almost.

A-l-m-o-s-t.

We're five days away from the start of August training camp, which means this is the last dead-season column of the year. If you think you guys are desperate for the off-season to end, imagine being a writer with an empty bucket of off-season narratives to analyze. Whatever happens this season is whatever happens, but for the love of God, can we please get on with it?!?!

Almost.

Given that actual passes will be thrown, blocks will be made and competition will commence, I thought it might be a good idea to go ahead and put all of the expectations for the next month on the table. The thirst for information is such that it's easy to lose sight of the forest through the trees.

Here's a list of things I expect to occur over the course of the next month or so. When these things happen, there won't be any reason to have a surprise reaction.

You've been warned.

Game-week decision at quarterback

Nothing about the way Tom Herman is approaching the quarterback competition suggests he'll want to announce a starter until he absolutely has to, which means it'll probably be the Monday before the opener before we know, although it wouldn't surprise me if he waits until the day of the Maryland game before announcing a decision.

Sam Ehlinger will take the majority of the work with the first-team offense

Junior Shane Buechele is going to have to play really, really well or Ehlinger is going to have to be a disaster in camp in order for Ehlinger to lose the job of running out with the offense for the first series against the Terps. Throughout this off-season, Ehlinger has been the first guy to run out with the first-team offense. He's received more first-team reps. The expectations inside the program are that Ehlinger will emerge as the starter. Regardless of what Herman says publicly about the matter, Ehlinger enters camp as a heavy betting favorite.

Defense controls the offense

There will be days when the offense potentially gets the best of the defense. Hell, it might even happen in a scrimmage at some point, especially if Tom Herman instructs Todd Orlando to go vanilla during the proceedings, but day in and day out, the Texas defense is going to get the better of the Texas offense.

Offense is a serious work in progress

Just to be clear, this is an offense that enters the off-season with a quarterback battle taking place, the integration of multiple new running backs that weren't involved in spring workouts, multiple tight ends coming back from injury and an offensive line that still needs to make a leap of progress. Oh, and the unit hasn't established an identity yet that it can lean on. Don't freak out about the lack of hyperbole and don't get too excited if a bit of hyperbole is used in the next month. It is what is.

Youth will rule

The 2018 recruiting class is not only the first true group of Tom Herman's guys to enter the program, it's loaded with the kind of talent that can take an upperclassman's job if that upperclassman leaves the door open (even a little). Expect buzz. Expect hyperbole. Expect Herman to embrace it all.

beprepared.png

No. 2 - Going out of state ...

I can't tell which part of the Texas out-of-state recruiting strategy impresses me more ...

a. The fact that 47 percent of the 2019 recruiting class is from outside of the state of Texas.

b. The fact that the Longhorns have gone to five different states to put together that 47 percent, including areas in which the current staff doesn't have a lot of history of success.

Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia and Oklahoma ... this staff goes where the talent is.

There's some interesting discussion to be had about the importance of balancing recruiting well out of state with the need to lock down the most important regions of the state of Texas (something the Longhorns aren't totally achieving), but don't let the fact that the Longhorns aren't crushing it in-state at the same levels as last signing day get in the way of the reality that this staff is approaching recruiting exactly the way some of us have been begging for the coaches to do for 20+ years.

I'm a guy that is big about having options and heavily expanding the recruiting map has not only given the staff options in a recruiting year when they are dearly needed, but it has saved the 2019 recruiting class at this point when you consider that six of the team's 10 current Rivals.com four stars are from out of state.

I never thought any of us would live to see the day when Texas would recruit in this fashion.

The issues that Texas has in-state in this year's class isn't ideal and can't continue annually, but the bottom line is that the Longhorns have the seventh-highest average star ranking in the country. There are a lot of ways to put together a nationally elite class. As long as you get there, it doesn't matter the path that led you there.

No. 3 - But, can he play offensive line...

Yes, Javonne Shepard can.

Given the lack of big-time offensive line options staring at the Longhorns in the face in the 2019 class, securing Shepard this weekend was incredibly critical. He won't be the highest-ranked member of this class. Hell, he might not finish in the top 10. yet when you consider the desperate need that the Longhorns still have to upgrade the offensive line talent inside the program, few recruits in this class will carry more pure value to the table.

It also serves as a less than subtle reminder to the members of the Texas A&M football community that the Longhorns can still serve up a five-knuckle sandwich on them in recruiting, just in case anyone started feeling too good about a very good recruiting class that is further away from the Longhorns in average star ranking per prospect than Texas is to Alabama.

Sunday was a reminder of the proper world order of things.

Oh, and Shepard can play offensive tackle. Let's not forget about that.

No. 4 - This deserves its own section ..

Rest in peace, Frank Denius. One of the classiest people I've ever had a chance to meet in my time of covering Texas athletics.

No. 5 - I used to squat 500+ pounds in high school ...

Imagine if I had been able to work out with Yancy McKnight?

No. 6 - Story-time with Uncle Ketch...
story-time.png

For those that don't know my full history, I joined Rivals.com in 1999 and spent two years working in the same office as Bobby Burton and Jeremy Crabtree in what was the original recruiting hub of the network before it set up shop in Seattle (and then later in Nashville).

It was the old days of the Internet ... the true Wild, Wild West.

Inside this little office, the three of us were no more than 10 feet away from each other at all times, which means that one of the best parts of the job was listening in on the conversations that were taking place around us. You never knew when a national-championship winning head coach would be calling the office to talk recruiting because the industry was just different back then.

For college coaches across the country, we were dialed into the recruiting scene in ways that has never existed before and coaches loved to call us in the name of swapping information.

Well, there was one head coach that used to call the office all the time. Frankly, this guy is a legend in the recruiting industry for his ability to recruit nationally.

One day, this coach called the office with a request.

It turns out that the coach had been talking to a kid in Florida that his school was recruiting about star rankings. Apparently, the coach had made the kid a promise - if he committed to him, he would help get the kid his missing fifth star.

"I need you to make him a five-star for me," the coach told Rivals. "I told him I could do it."

When told that we couldn't move this prospect into five-star territory just because he wanted us to, the coach made a strong case for the player to receive the fifth star. It was the sales job of all sales jobs. The passion during the speech was evident.

Still, the kid wasn't going to get his fifth star and that was that. Eventually, the coach conceded.

"That's ok," he relayed back. "He's not my first or second choice, anyway."

No. 7 – Buy or Sell …

BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: Texas ends up with a top-25 defense and a top-50 offense?

(Sell) I'm iffy on this answer, just for the record. I suppose I'll believe in the offense when it gives me true reasons to do so.

BUY or SELL: Now that over half of the recruiting class is set, we can confidently predict that Texas will land a consecutive top-5 recruiting class?

(Sell) In order to pull off a top five class, Texas needs to land a few more monsters, including a number of national top-50 players. A top-10 class is doable, but I'm not sure about a top-5 class.

BUY or SELL: A 3-star recruit Texas commit almost 100 percent of the time will change to a 4 star months later, not deserving of such?

(Sell) For a kid that is relatively unknown, a commitment to Texas simply forces an enhanced evaluation that might not have otherwise existed without the commitment, but it doesn't automatically translate to him receiving four-star status. There have been moments of recruiting inflation over the years with Texas commitments, but it's not a consistent issue.

BUY or SELL: Herman addresses DFW recruiting after next season?

(Buy) There will be at least one change in the off-season on the coaching staff.

BUY or SELL: Herman takes over play-calling during the USC game and keeps it going forward?

(Sell) I think he would view that as desperation and I'm not sure he's close to that point.

BUY or SELL: Beating the 6 teams we will be HEAVY favorites against (Maryland, Tulsa, Baylor, ISU, Kansas, Tech) and then going 2-4 against the teams we are not heavy favorites against (but still possibly favorites) would be a successful season?

(Sell) It would be improvement, but it wouldn't be a successful season. A Texas successful season in football ends with either a conference title, a major bowl game or both. Eight wins is barely a successful season at Texas Tech.

BUY or SELL: Recruiting high talent can overcome an average college strength and conditioning program?

(Buy) Some will say that the Longhorns overcame it in Mack Brown's most successful stretch.

BUY or SELL: Do you think Marcus Tillman ends up a 4 Star?

(Buy) It's certainly possible when you consider he is already very close to that status.

BUY or SELL: Billy Liucci is the biggest douche bag you have ever met?

(Sell) Not even close. I actually like Billy.

BUY or SELL: Will Baker signs with Texas?

(Buy) Yeah, he's a Westlake kid. I'll always put my money on Texas for a Westlake basketball player.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... I have never been this disinterested in the Dallas Cowboys in my entire life. It's not any one thing, it's a lot of stuff, but the resigned loss of intensity in the most important pro sports team in my life is real. It's really hard to comprehend.

... When Kevin Durant is done playing basketball, he's going to be remembered for his basketball exploits first, all of the social media stuff second. The benefit of winning rings is that it allows your positive narratives to dominate the negative narratives.

Example: Ray Lewis

... As someone that was a kid in the 80s and viewed him as a baseball-playing god, I'm all for
Dale Murphy being in the MLB Hall of Fame.

... It's time for Christian Pulisic to fulfill his destiny as a Liverpool player. Come to Klopp.

... Welcome to Liverpool.

... Welcome to the MLS.
m5mIZ9mJ

No. 9 - The List: Best NFL Running Backs of All-Time ...

10. Adrian Peterson
9. Tony Dorsett
8. O.J. Simpson
7. Eric Dickerson
6. Earl Campbell
5. Marshall Faulk
4. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
2. Jim Brown
1. Emmitt Smith

Just to be clear, Smith's resume and accomplishments make this an easy call, especially at a position when the players are all quite aesthetically different from each other.

All-time leading rusher by 1,600+ yards. Three championships. Both a regular-season and Super Bowl MVP. Legendary performances in big games.

Of the backs in the Super Bowl era, only one put a decade-defining dynasty on his shoulders week-in and week-out.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

This isn’t important, but it sure made me smile on Sunday morning.
People need to understand the chin pubed one.... first he’s an aggy....2 he HAS to sell subs so he’s gonna pander to the potatoes

Hard for me to put a guy in that played before the modern era of the sport, even as great as he was.

Plus, what is the Jim Brown signature moment?

When Richard Pryor used to talk about him?
(caution: nonPC language and um, profanity in this clip. parental discretion is advised.)

Reactions: Pauln722
Why is Jerry Rice considered the greatest WR of all time? Like Emmitt, he had less physical skill than other contenders for the crown. He played on even better teams with even better teammates. Yet nobody holds those against him, and nobody else is in the running in the GOAT conversation.

If Emmitt isn’t the greatest running back of all time, then Jerry Rice isn’t the greatest receiver of all time.

Last edited:
Sorry Ketch. Smith isn't top 5.

It has to be Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers and OJ Simpson. ANY one of those backs would have been illegal behind the lines Smith ran behind.
I noticed you didn't name one thing any of them actually did or accomplished that was actually greater than Smith. You'retrying to live in a fairy tale what-if land. I'm just telling you what actually happened.

His record says hello

Emmitt ran behind some of the great offensive lines of all time. You put Emmitt behind some of the lines Earl Campbell or Jim Brown or Barry Sanders ran behind and he's a mediocre back. Only a Cowboys fan would ever think Emmitt Smith is the best running back all time. That line forms behind Jim Brown and Barry Sanders for sure, and for my money Emmitt couldn't carry Earl's jock. There's a reason Emmitt didn't go until the 17th pick in the first round in the draft. The greatest back of all time would never last that long.

Emmitt ran behind some of the great offensive lines of all time. You put Emmitt behind some of the lines Earl Campbell or Jim Brown or Barry Sanders ran behind and he's a mediocre back. Only a Cowboys fan would ever think Emmitt Smith is the best running back all time. That line forms behind Jim Brown and Barry Sanders for sure, and for my money Emmitt couldn't carry Earl's jock. There's a reason Emmitt didn't go until the 17th pick in the first round in the draft. The greatest back of all time would never last that long.

Where does Jerry Rice rank among WRs, then?

Youth will rule

The 2018 recruiting class is not only the first true group of Tom Herman's guys to enter the program, it's loaded with the kind of talent that can take an upperclassman's job if that upperclassman leaves the door open (even a little). Expect buzz. Expect hyperbole. Expect Herman to embrace it all.

No. 3 - But, can he play offensive line...

Yes, Javonne Shepard can.

It also serves as a less than subtle reminder to the members of the Texas A&M football community that the Longhorns can still serve up a five-knuckle sandwich on them in recruiting, just in case anyone started feeling too good about a very good recruiting class that is further away from the Longhorns in average star ranking per prospect than Texas is to Alabama.

Sunday was a reminder of the proper world order of things.

[/MEDIA]

As to #3, haha, you have been laying in wait to use the Texas is closer to Alabama than Aggie is to Texas line, haven't you? I can see this deviousness in your mind as it plays out in print.

As to your Youth will Rule point..... I don't know about that at all. This team is loaded with experienced upper classman, on both sides of the ball. If youth rules, than either the older guys aren't as good as expected, or the younger guys are even better than expected.

After all, Herman's favorite excuse for last years losses is the "five true freshman playing" line, followed by the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores, line.

Why is Jerry Rice considered the greatest WR of all time? Like Emmitt, he had less physical skill than other contenders for the crown. He played on even better teams with even better teammates. Yet nobody hold those against him, and nobody else is in the running in the GOAT conversation.

If Emmitt isn’t the greatest running back of all time, then Jerry Rice isn’t the greatest receiver of all time.

Agreed. He played in a offense way ahead of its time.

Put Randy Moss in the West Coast offense in the 80s when noone knew how to stop it.

The offense that produced two back to back HOF QBs.

(Sell) It would be improvement, but it wouldn't be a successful season. A Texas successful season in football ends with either a conference title, a major bowl game or both. Eight wins is barely a successful season at Texas Tech.

ALL OF THIS

There have been so many great ones but can’t leave out Gale Sayers in the top 10.

There are many reasons to omit Sayers, but here’s one: he fumbled 34 times in 68 career games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT