ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Don't be surprised when these things happen...)

If the running back list is truly a reflection of “all time” then you can’t have era bias. Jim Brown seems to easily fit into the top spot especially if the running backs are ostensibly interchangeable from era to era...which is the way it should be considered. And Earl behind Marshall Faulk doesn’t seem reasonable to me. I’d like to understand the reasoning behind that ranking.

Reactions: Texaswins54
So James Lofton pays because the Green Bay teams he was on weren't very good other than him? I disagree with that. If Lofton and Jerry Rice switched teams, and especially QB, Lofton would have had defining moments too. Lofton did more with less better than anybody else I've seen.
:)

Emmitt ran behind some of the great offensive lines of all time. You put Emmitt behind some of the lines Earl Campbell or Jim Brown or Barry Sanders ran behind and he's a mediocre back. Only a Cowboys fan would ever think Emmitt Smith is the best running back all time. That line forms behind Jim Brown and Barry Sanders for sure, and for my money Emmitt couldn't carry Earl's jock. There's a reason Emmitt didn't go until the 17th pick in the first round in the draft. The greatest back of all time would never last that long.

Jerry Rice had some of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. You put Jerry with some of the quarterbacks Larry Fitzgerald or Steve Smith or Andre Johnson had and he's a mediocre receiver. Only a 49ers fan would ever think Jerry Rice is the best wide receiver all time. That line forms behind Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson for sure, and for my money Jerry couldn't carry Larry's jock. There's a reason Jerry didn't go until the 16th pick in the first round in the draft. The greatest wide receiver of all time would never last that long.

Jim Brown averaged 5.2 yards per carry for his career...mainly from the FB position. He could block, catch, run, throw and kick.
You are right---it is not close
+1
Jim Brown average more than 20 yards per game more than Emmitt. If Brown played the same #of games he would have topped emmitt by more than 5,000 yards. Let that sink in.
Also he led the league in rushing all but once during his career.
This is no contest

+1
Jim Brown average more than 20 yards per game more than Emmitt. If Brown played the same #of games he would have topped emmitt by more than 5,000 yards. Let that sink in.
This is no contest
How much did defensive tackles weight when Jim Brown played. How fast were the linebackers? How multiple were the defenses?

If the running back list is truly a reflection of “all time” then you can’t have era bias. Jim Brown seems to easily fit into the top spot especially if the running backs are ostensibly interchangeable from era to era...which is the way it should be considered. And Earl behind Marshall Faulk doesn’t seem reasonable to me. I’d like to understand the reasoning behind that ranking.

Well...

Yards from scrimmage
  • 19,154 Faulk
  • 10,213 Campbell
Total TDs
  • 136 Faulk
  • 74 Campbell
Yards per touch
  • 5.3 Faulk
  • 4.4 Campbell
Do you want to keep going?

Barry Sanders only played in a couple of games that mattered in his entire life and he wasn't great in them.
You are clueless. I watched Jim Brown play and there has never been his equal at RB. And his talent would translate to today's game.

Reactions: dougphelan
For starters, Earl rated lower than Faulk? You must be kidding me. Emmitt #1? Maybe you have some arbitrary standard in mind, but SMH. I don’t even see how you can have Faulk in the top 10. Over Sayers, or Simms? OJ at 8 is way too low. My gracious, Ketch.
Arbitrary standards? You mean like most rushing yards every by anyone ever, 3 SB rings, league MVP, SB MVP.
I don't see what's so controversial about this pick. Sanders may have the better highlight tape, but aside from that what did he accomplish?
And dont give me that Smith had better line b.s. because the Cowboys couldnt run the ball for squat the few instances he was out. And I say few times because he was a freakin work horse that rarely got injured

Reactions: Saul Goodman87
+1
This is no contest

Brown also got to be larger than the guys trying to tackle him and had the advantage of playing fewer games. Brown played in 118 career regular season games and four playoff games, a total of 122 professional games. Emmitt Smith was one shy of double that number of games, at 243. That type of wear and tear (against substantially larger and faster opponents) takes a massive toll that Brown didn't have to pay.

Emmitt Smith ran behind a great line, with a HOF QB and WR taking away a lot of heat. Not to mention great TE play.

Walter Payton largely played with a dogshat team during his career. And yet Walter averaged more YPC than Emmitt. Seems very logical to me that Walter’s stats would be enhanced greatly by being on those Cowboy teams.

Earl averaged more yards per carry too. No doubt at all that at their prime, Earl was better than Emmitt, but he didn’t last long enough to make the case emphatically.

You are clueless. I watched Jim Brown play and there has never been his equal at RB. And his talent would translate to today's game.
He'd be a hell of a player today. It would be nice to see how he would have played against against elite competition because the football he played back then would be JV stuff today.

@Ketchum i was at the LFC/Dortmund match at the ICC match last week in Charlotte. Pulisic was simply dominant that second half he played. His equalizing penalty run was ok, but his score on the cross in the 89th and assist in ot were simply brilliant. Just a natural creator, something the US side has sorely lacked for, well, forever, minus Dempsey I guess, but I think I’m being generous.

Reactions: cordpetee and pied
Emmitt Smith ran behind a great line, with a HOF QB and WR taking away a lot of heat. Not to mention great TE play.

Walter Payton largely played with a dogshat team during his career. And yet Walter averaged more YPC than Emmitt. Seems very logical to me that Walter’s stats would be enhanced greatly by being on those Cowboy teams.

Earl averaged more yards per carry too. No doubt at all that at their prime, Earl was better than Emmitt, but he didn’t last long enough to make the case emphatically.
None of those lineman that played with Emmitt Smith were much more than bums before he showed up. Not Newton. Not Tuinei. Not Grogan. Not even Step.

It's revisionist history to pretend like he wasn't the goddamn heart, soul and driving force behind a dynasty.

Go back and look at that 1993 season from start to finish.

Emmitt's resume dwarfs Walter's.

@Ketchum i was at the LFC/Dortmund match at the ICC match last week in Charlotte. Pulisic was simply dominant that second half he played. His equalizing penalty run was ok, but his score on the cross in the 89th and assist in ot were simply brilliant. Just a natural creator, something the US side has sorely lacked for, well, forever, minus Dempsey I guess, but I think I’m being generous.
He's starting to truly find the light switch.

How much did defensive tackles weight when Jim Brown played. How fast were the linebackers? How multiple were the defenses?
How many years did Jim Brown have an MVP Quarterback? or multiple all pro lineman and and all pro receiver.
Take off the Blue colored glasses. You can't win this not sure any NFL analysts would agree with you. Stick to your expertise college football.

Reactions: dougphelan
Why is pulisic destined for LP?
Liverpool's style is perfect for him. The coach is perfect for him. Klopp and Pulisic and his dad made goo-goo eyes all last week over each other. There's a history there.

It's meant to happen.

Reactions: jholmestyle
Arbitrary standards? You mean like most rushing yards every by anyone ever, 3 SB rings, league MVP, SB MVP.
I don't see what's so controversial about this pick. Sanders may have the better highlight tape, but aside from that what did he accomplish?
And dont give me that Smith had better line b.s. because the Cowboys couldnt run the ball for squat the few instances he was out. And I say few times because he was a freakin work horse that rarely got injured

Didn’t malign Smith. You stat quoters always want to argue. The “best RB ever” is not necessarily the one with the best stats or the longest career to amass them.

You still haven't tried to make a case for any player ahead of him.

Emmitt's resume is whipped out in front of everyone and it's BIG.
I’ll make a case. If everyone of those backs were going to be drafted in the nfl this year, there is no team in history that would pick smith. Period.

How many years did Jim Brown have an MVP Quarterback? or multiple all pro lineman and and all pro receiver.
Take off the Blue colored glasses. You can't win this not sure any NFL analysts would agree with you. Stick to your expertise college football.
you didn't answer any of the questions. You just tried to change the subject.

Well...

Yards from scrimmage
  • 19,154 Faulk
  • 10,213 Campbell
Total TDs
  • 136 Faulk
  • 74 Campbell
Yards per touch
  • 5.3 Faulk
  • 4.4 Campbell
Do you want to keep going?
You seem to be doing just fine. I asked a legit question and you answered with snarkiness. Hope you are proud. You know, it is a discussion board, not a competition to see who can put another in his place. But I guess you don’t want to have a common decency discussion. Just win the debate and you are now master of the universe...yay for you.

Go ahead and find another resume within a ten foot pole of Emmitt Smith

High School:
-8,804 rushing yards (2nd most in history as the time)
-106 TD’s
-State Championship
-Rushed for 100 yarda in 45 of 49 career starts
-USA Today and Parade Magazine National Player of the Year in 1986

College:
-Set UF single game rushing record in first career start
-Got his first 1,000 yards faster than any RB in history at the time
-1989 SEC POY
-1989 unanimous AA
-3x first team SEC
-Left Florida with 58 school records despite playing with zero passing offense, making him the defense’s focal point

NFL:
-All Time Leading Rusher
-All time rushing TD leader
-3x Super Bowl Champ
-Super Bowl MVP
-NFL MVP
-4x NFL rushing champ
-8x Pro Bowl
-4x 1st team All Pro
-Rookie of the Year
-90’s All Decade Team
-Hall of Fame

I’ll make a case. If everyone of those backs were going to be drafted in the nfl this year, there is no team in history that would pick smith. Period.
k.

Do we need @CS to do the Jerry Rice trick all over again?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT