ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Drink the Kool-Aid I'm pouring...)

A duty of loyalty. Finish what you start. It's not complicated. You can disagree, that's fine.
He did finish what he started. He had almost 250 touches as a junior, more than twice as many as any other player on his team.

He made his announcement more than three months before the season started.

It's not like he quit on his team the way Mack Brown did at UNC or Tom Herman did at UH.... all things most on this board celebrated as anything but selfish and ugly.

It's funny when we use these arbitrary rules and when we don't.

He did finish what he started. He had almost 250 touches as a junior, more than twice as many as any other player on his team.

It's not like he quit on his team the way Mack Brown did at UNC or Tom Herman did at UH.... all things most on this board celebrated as anything but selfish and ugly.

Those examples are hardly comparable. This young man finished his junior year. Nothing more. His "announcement" was that he quit. You can massage the verbiage; call it a business decision, give him accolades for his timing, but at day's end, he quit.
Have a great Monday.

There is ZERO reason for him to risk injury in his senior year. He made a wise and mature decision.

... This is a bigger deal to everyone in this state because it's football, but if this happened to be someone in baseball, basketball, gymnastics or golf, I just can't believe anyone would care that much.

Players in those sports would continue playing their sport but just with another organization. Unlike football, those other 4 sports are high skill sports where layoffs can be hugely detrimental. F*ck, Blue plays RB. How much skill is really needed outside of raw physical attributes?

... I'm probably with everyone else that would like to see Jaydon Blue play his senior season, but I have a hard time judging a young man that sees a potential NFL future down the road for himself eliminating a year's worth of physical pounding at the position on the field that takes the most when there's not a ton out there outside of the romanticized value of a senior year in high school. His scholarship is earned. He doesn't play for a program that's going to challenge for a deep playoff run. Realistically, the most important thing he'd accomplish this season was staying healthy if we're going to keep it 100, and this decision accomplishes that mission without any of the pounding taking place.

I think you are going a helluva long way to rationalize a rather immature decision. I mean, if you want to chalk up to a very possibly spoiled and petulant 17-year old then that's reasonable. But I don't really believe it was was true "business decision." If it does where does it end? Will you be cool if he shuts it down every November 1 at Texas if we aren't playing for a Big 12 title and CFP?

... Jaydon Blue doesn't owe his high school teammates anything. I'm sorry... he just doesn't. This idea that young athletes are somehow obligated to make life-changing decisions based on what's best for dozens of their peers that don't remotely have to take the same risks is a concept that I simply cannot support. Athletes make decisions for themselves all the time. Caleb Burton didn't stab his old high school teammates in the back by going to Lake Travis.

Uhhh, Burton's dad was out at HC at Del Valle. If he weren't Burton would still be there. You're comparing apples to cheeseburgers.

to be fair, one person's negative spin is another person's talking about reality, 🤷‍♂️
Not saying that there's not some truth in what was being posted; just that the discussion was so one-sided as to be misleading in it's own right. "Texas doesn't develop players", "Texas doesn't put players in the League", "Texas missed out on the top transfer targets", "TEOT will cost Texas", "Texas QB's are not good enough", "Texas WR's suck", "Texas OL sucks", etc, etc. While some of these issues may be true or at least debatable, it's not the entire story of Texas football in 2021. As you correctly pointed out above, there's plenty to be hopeful about with the Texas football program and it's OK to discuss those things too.

Reactions: boernefan
I mean, how is "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" not in the top 10? I mean, that's just dumb.

Not saying that there's not truth in what was being posted; just that the discussion was so one-sided as to be misleading in it's own right. "Texas doesn't develop players", "Texas doesn't put players in the League", "Texas missed out on the top transfer targets", "TEOT will cost Texas", "Texas QB's are not good enough", "Texas WR's suck", "Texas OL sucks", etc, etc. While some of these issues may be true or at least debatable, it's not the entire story of Texas football in 2021. As you correctly pointed out above, there's plenty to be hopeful about with the Texas football program.
I don't feel like many of those are drums I've been beating.

I can't control Texas missing out on top transfer targets. ;)

I mean, how is "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" not in the top 10? I mean, that's just dumb.

Like I said earlier, it's not even my favorite Godfather quote. I agree, though. Objectively, it should be on the list.

I don't often comment on your thoughts from the weekend, Ketch, other than saying nice job or good information but I want to point out two areas that you identified that I too have been "preaching" (if that's the word for it) about since last summer and again at the closing of the 2020 signing class.

First your point on Hudson Card. A quick release? Check. An even quicker release when he's in trouble or on the run? As incredible as that sounds, Check. Accuracy on both? Check. Understanding, TRULY understanding the phrase "throwing a receiver open"? Check. While Sark may very well be the QB coach we have all been wanting and waiting for, I'm not sure what can be gained by sitting such a talent on the bench. I don't like to assume that Sark would do such a thing just to prevent Thompson from transferring. It's not out of the realm of possibility but it would be disconcerting if not outright disappointing. You may be the self declared president of the Hudson Card fan club but I have been watching Texas QBs since James Street took over for Bill Bradley. It's amazing what we have had as QBs that have led this program since the 60's. VY was a gift. So is Hudson Card. So, to the President of the fan club from the old fart who's seen a lot in his time, let's both pray that Sark sees the same thing.

Point two and then I'll shut up. We haven't seen this much talent in the LB room in a long time. This position is my meat. And yes, I have been overly critical of the stable ponies brought in since DJ graduated. Great technique, overall nastiness and a nose for the football have been missing for quite some time. In their place were the Scott Derrys of the world and also rans who had no idea of how to shed a block, understand pad level and aggressiveness that attacked the ball carrier BEFORE he gained 5-7 yards beyond the LOS. Sorry, I digress into old habits. Supplementing this talent are the Younglings. One in particular from Arlington Martin, Morice Blackwell. I know, I know, you have him as a 3-star. Others have him as a 4-star. Jesus Christ was satisfied with one star so I don't give a crap how many stars people give this kid. He was born to play LB. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if as a toddler he used the correct hand, foot and pad technique to knock down the side of crib to get to his Teddy Bear. This kid has a nose for the football VERY much in the style of DJ.

There's my contribution, opinion or soap-box speech to your ten thoughts. They're good thoughts. I just wanted to add some of my own because after living through two different multi-years of wandering through the wilderness, I'm finally seeing two very special gifts on both sides of the ball that can get this program out of the wilderness and into the promised land.

Thanks for your indulgence. Let the fun poking and laughter begin.

Hook'em!

Just saw Casey thompson just graduated? Damn, time flies. feel bad for him/respect to him for still being here after all these years. Especially in this day and age

Well, it's only been 3 years. If anything simply give him major props for taking care of business and finishing in just 3 years. Because he hasn't been here THAT long.

SJW ketchum thinking Blue is the right thing. He is a teenager finding his way, but with so much potential, no one but money is leading his way. Sad,
I can't help but wonder how this will translate during his Texas career in regards to playing or missing important games in his Jr year

Reactions: NativeTex
For me, I would have a princess bride quote.

I end up using the line “You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means”
Ok, technically that’s two lines so disqualified. Still, one of my favorites

For me, I would have a princess bride quote.

I end up using the line “You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means”
Ok, technically that’s two lines so disqualified. Still, one of my favorites
There are several from that movie. You're right, this is likely the most quoted, although at our house we often hear the Billy Crystal line "Oh now look who knows so much"

Reactions: Txfan512
ADVERTISEMENT