ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Ewers to run it back in 2024?)

Would be interesting to know if the Ewers scuttlebutt is actually from his family or just staff trying to put 2 + 2 together thinking “well, he’s not a top 5 QB so surely he’ll return.”

In the last 5 drafts, an average of seven QBs per year have been drafted before the end of round 4.
I wonder the same thing. We always think "the people in his camp believe..." Who is that exactly? Who is consulting these guys? They can't have agents yet can they? Or did NIL change all that? Or is "his camp" just his parents, his HS coach and a weird uncle?

We should have beaten them in 15 when we lost. We should have beaten them in 19 when we lost. We should have beaten them in 21 when we lost.

I sense a theme.
2013, Night game in Ames. We need a 75 yard drive in the final 3 minutes and Jonathan Gray is called down instead of fumbling at the 1 yard line on a VERY controversial call. We escape 31-30.
2015, Night game in Ames on Halloween. Didn't cross the 50 yard line until the last possession of the game.
2017, Night game in Ames. Needed 2 UNS calls to score our only 2 TDs and win 17-7.
2019, Afternoon game in late November in Ames. We got Breece Hall'd.
2021, Night game in Ames. Purdy>Card, Breece>Bijan, Their Xavier>Our Xavier. Honestly, their whole offense was better than ours.

Playing these guys in Ames at night sucks.

Is that so?

Sure. His numbers as a frosh were terrific. If you look at his ‘07 in a vacuum then they aren’t that bad. Teams, the TD to picks is not great. But nearly a 140 passer average.

Sure. His numbers as a frosh were terrific. If you look at his ‘07 in a vacuum then they aren’t that bad. Teams, the TD to picks is not great. But nearly a 140 passer average.

A 139.2 efficiency rating is poor. A 22/18 TD:INT ratio is poor. He had more than 20 turnovers in the season.

4 INT vs KSU
3 INT vs Oklahoma State
12 of 28 at Nebraska
Not great vs A&M

He did not have a good 2007 season.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
A 139.2 efficiency rating is poor. A 22/18 TD:INT ratio is poor. He had more than 20 turnovers in the season.

4 INT vs KSU
3 INT vs Oklahoma State
12 of 28 at Nebraska
Not great vs A&M

It was part of why we flew under the radar in 08. Lost Charles and Finley, colt sophomore slump and a few new starters in the back end of the secondary too.

Not even a top 10 team. Not many expected us to do what we did, mainly because of how colt looked the prior year.

4 INT vs KSU
3 INT vs Oklahoma State
12 of 28 at Nebraska
Not great vs A&M

You’re comparing that 139 passer rating from ‘07 to 2023. This season that would be 50th. But In 2007 it was 24th nationally. Under no circumstances is that considered poor. I acknowledged the TOs. The point being is that season followed a great frosh season. So they get judged more harshly.

Reactions: msbbo421
And yet... here we are.
Oh, I definitely hope I’m wrong. Coming back is the right decision…

• another year to mature
• the OL next year may be the best since 05 or 06
• and even with X and Mitchell gone, we will still have a talented WR group.

If he decides to come back, I’ll be the first to celebrate.

To further expand on the Ewers “returning” narrative all this is just coffeehouse crap. If he manages to play well the next 4-5 games he’s not coming back for sure.

It was part of why we flew under the radar in 08. Lost Charles and Finley, colt sophomore slump and a few new starters in the back end of the secondary too.

Not even a top 10 team. Not many expected us to do what we did, mainly because of how colt looked the prior year.
I do remember.

• Love
Reactions: Buddah318
You’re comparing that 139 passer rating from ‘07 to 2023. This season that would be 50th. But In 2007 it was 24th nationally. Under no circumstances is that considered poor. I acknowledged the TOs. The point being is that season followed a great frosh season. So they get judged more harshly.

It gets judged harshly by the basic measures of judging the position.

November 13th, 2023.

But that’s not really “here” in the context of the conversation. Again, at this point I haven’t seen anything to lead me to believe this coming from his family/circle. And again, “here” on November 13, 2023, there are still no less than 3 and maybe as many as 5 games where if he plays well he’s gone for sure.

That's possible, but you really don't know as much as you think you do on this subject.

I think I know the following:

1. He’s been hurt a lot. Significantly.

2. He has anywhere from 3-5 big ops to showcase his ability.

3. Right now he looks to be no worse than in the 8-10 range. If #2 pans out well he very well moves in daily into the 5-7. And that’s probably a little conservative. And based on draft history that almost certainly makes him Day 2 at the latest.

So, if you add those 3 up it’s hard to see him returning

It gets judged harshly by the basic measures of judging the position.

Sure. And in 2007, a 139 passer rating was not judged “poor.” It was judged to be be 24th out of essentially 120+ starting QBs.

I think I know the following:

1. He’s been hurt a lot. Significantly.

2. He has anywhere from 3-5 big ops to showcase his ability.

3. Right now he looks to be no worse than in the 8-10 range. If #2 pans out well he very well moves in daily into the 5-7. And that’s probably a little conservative. And based on draft history that almost certainly makes him Day 2 at the latest.

So, if you add those 3 up it’s hard to see him returning
sesame street k GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Horn19 and RLong68
Sure. And in 2007, a 139 passer rating was not judged “poor.” It was judged to be be 24th out of essentially 120+ starting QBs.

What was it judged as?

What I can tell you is that he didn't so much as earn honorable mention All-Big 12 in 2007.

Last edited:
Disappointing compared to 2006. Didn’t help the season was largely disappointing from a team standpoint.

He certainly had flashes, including in the bowl game, but the season is remembered for his high volume of turnovers.

I don't think I've ever seen a quarterback turn the ball over more in a season in Austin.

He was good, but he took a significant jump in year 3 as a starter. Not trying to be argumentative as much as I am hopeful Quinn can take another step if he comes back. I think his ceiling is much higher than Ehlinger's.
I believe his ceiling is higher and I believe he’s coming back.

He certainly had flashes, including in the bowl game, but the season is remembered for his high volume of turnovers.

I don't think I've ever seen a quarterback turn the ball over more in a season in Austin.

It also certainly helped ‘08 was Shipley’s real first “back” season.

I merely skimmed to catch up. Someone just tell me if this is cliffs or not

RLong: Ewers still has a good chance to go pro based on data I've looked at.

Ketch: lmao I know you stuff you don't. No.

Reactions: Horn19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT