ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Herman needs Oscar Giles to be aces in 2019...)

Perhaps so, but I'm not a fan closing his eyes and believing that this year's guys will be better than last year's guys.... just because.
It is not "just because". These are more talented guys coming up than those that left. more talent, more years with Yancy, consistancy in coaching and scheme.
Ojomo and Coburn will be stars! Roach will put it together now that he is healthy and playing the right position.

I've heard Giles isn't the most enthusiastic recruiter, I know he does form a good connection with some kids though. I think when he puts in the focus and effort he can be a good recruiter, but might need a boot in the ass at times. The big swing and miss for Giles recruiting was Leal. On a positivie note, I love the T. Sweat eval and quick lockup though.

Interesting looking at Poona's stats 2016 to 2017 didn't change that much, and yet anyone who watched knew he was dominant in 2017. Effectiveness on the dline isn't always captured by stats. For instance, last year Orlando would insert blitzes intentionally to allow Omenihu to free up at times. If Charles was allowed a wide alignment, he was much more effective in the pass rush. Watching lots of tape on TQ and Malcolm, they were disruptive, but I don't think either is a great pass rusher.

To say Roach isn't in the conversation with Charles, not sure I agree. I mean they are different types of athletes. Malcolm's movement skills at his size are very uncommon. I think Roach would need to be playing inside at nose or a 3 tech to have a chance to be that disruptive. Basically use his combo of quicks and strength against centers or guards, vs running the arc around tackles. At 4i, he'll still be very good against the run.

I actually feel pretty good about the ends, but the nose concerns me. I'd feel much more comfortable if I knew Coburn was going to be healthy for next season. In terms of next years team, the position that concerns the most is inside LB. Big 12 coaches are excellent at creating mismatches. Having any LB on the field that can't play in space is asking for serious trouble. Texas fell victim to this last year quite often.

“ those of us that obsess over recruiting have screamed until we were blue in the face that the team's recent iffy success with its defensive line recruiting would eventually catch up with the team . . . spots in the line-up were filled with the likes of junior Taquan Graham, senior Gerald Wilbon and senior Malcolm Roach - a trio that combined for a mere 3.5 tackles for loss and two sacks in 2018.”
fair enough. I remember having this conversation with many about the offensive line almost a decade ago.

Ketch, not sure your comments on Giles are one of your better thought-out pieces.
  • You feel our DLs the past 2 seasons were productive, and wasn't Giles the guy that coached them?
  • Weren't there also similar doubts this time last season as to whether Nelson would even return, whether Omenihieu could be consistent enough, and whether Hager could function as anything other than pass-rusher?
  • Weren't both Roach and Bimage, backups who might have emerged with more playing time, injured for a number of games of last season?
  • Hasn't Giles coached the Big 12 DL of the Year the past 2 seasons?
a. The last two seasons were solid.

b. Not nearly the same as a season ago, as outlined in the article.

c. Roach has regressed the last two seasons. Bimage played in 9 games.

d. Yes, Giles is a solid coach on the field. It will require more than solid this season. As for his skills as a recruiter...

fair enough. I remember having this conversation with many about the offensive line almost a decade ago.

We need 3 Dlinemen not 5. Between Graham, Wilbon, Roach, Coburn, Ojomo, Bimage, Carson, J Jones there’s enough talent and depth for this scheme.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

I'm not one of those that will argue tooth and nails, if I'm wrong I'll own it and learn from it. Since Roach has been on campus, I've heard multiple sources mention he's the most talented defensive prospect on the dline. Some of that was early on, and like you said since his freshman year he hasn't been as effective. But Charles had 4 sacks and 7 tfl's his junior year. Roach had 2 sacks and 4 tfl's his sophomore year. They aren't a world apart heading into senior year, but I think they are very different body types.

We need 3 Dlinemen not 5. Between Graham, Wilbon, Roach, Coburn, Ojomo, Bimage, Carson, J Jones there’s enough talent and depth for this scheme.
who is the most certain of that group to perform at a high level this season?

I'm not one of those that will argue tooth and nails, if I'm wrong I'll own it and learn from it. Since Roach has been on campus, I've heard multiple sources mention he's the most talented defensive prospect on the dline. Some of that was early on, and like you said since his freshman year he hasn't been as effective. But Charles had 4 sacks and 7 tfl's his junior year. Roach had 2 sacks and 4 tfl's his sophomore year. They aren't a world apart heading into senior year, but I think they are very different body types.
Roach has literally been missing in action for most of the last two seasons.

How many snaps did Omenihu, Hager and Nelson get in 2017 versus the number of snaps Graham, Wilbon and Roach got in 2018?
I think you're proving my point without knowing that you're proving my point.

who is the most certain of that group to perform at a high level this season?

That’s the wrong question, but I’ll answer it. The highest ceilings belong to Graham, Coburn, Roach and Ojomo, so I’ll go with those four.

That’s the wrong question, but I’ll answer it. The highest ceilings belong to Graham, Coburn, Roach and Ojomo, so I’ll go with those four.
That's not what I asked you. Which guy out of that group is the guy you can absolutely bank on the most?

d. Yes, Giles is a solid coach on the field. It will require more than solid this season. As for his skills as a recruiter...
I have just always preferred to go get big fast animals and let them do big fast animal things. I think you can get a coach that checks both boxes x's and o's and rainmaker.

I have just always preferred to go get big fast animals and let them do big fast animal things. I think you can get a coach that checks both boxes x's and o's and rainmaker.
Man, the guys that can tear it up in both areas do not grow on trees.

Reactions: cnapp and coopdog
Roach has literally been missing in action for most of the last two seasons.

That's fair, I'm definitely thinking injuries and miscasting him positionally is a part of it. If the roster is to be believed, him up to 290 evidences his body is being allowed to go where it was heading all along. So I'm finding excuses for his MIA. I think he's just too smart a football player with too unique physical skills to not end up being highly productive, but next year we'll have the definite answer. By the way, I get where you are coming from and think its a reasonable take across the board.

Reactions: HkmTxsLnghrns
That's fair, I'm definitely thinking injuries and miscasting him positionally is a part of it. If the roster is to be believed, him up to 290 evidences his body is being allowed to go where it was heading all along. So I'm finding excuses for his MIA. I think he's just too smart a football player with too unique physical skills to not end up being highly productive, but next year we'll have the definite answer. By the way, I get where you are coming from and think its a reasonable take across the board.
He has struggled with his hand on the ground, which is why they kept moving him to linebacker, despite the fact he couldn't get on the field.

The defense was screaming for help in the pass rush along the line last year and he was a zero impact player in that area.

That's a red alarm going off.

Reactions: inanetranshuman
I believe the Defensive Line is going to be every bit as good as last year. Roach and Graham have plenty of experience, great talent, and being upper classmen, their bodies are very developed to go with that talent/experience. With Junior College Jones onboard along with Ojomo, there is talented depth. I expect the Hager position will be upgraded. Wilbon is experienced as well, and backfiling Nelson is not as big of a leap as it was for Nelson backfilling Poona Ford. Add in Coburn as backup, or even Ojomo here and the talent depth is as good as this past year at this position.

My concern for defense is not the DL, but the two LB spots held last year by Johnson and Wheeler, and the Corners losing two experienced seniors as well. Replacing Gary Johnson is gap priority #1 to figure out.

Reactions: Texus and cgregory4
I think you're proving my point without knowing that you're proving my point.

That’s smug but inaccurate. You used returning sacks and TFLs 2018 v 2019 as the basis for your skepticism. That’s meaningless unless you multiply the 2019 returning stats to correspond to playing time.

He has struggled with his hand on the ground, which is why they kept moving him to linebacker, despite the fact he couldn't get on the field.

The defense was screaming for help in the pass rush along the line last year and he was a zero impact player in that area.

That's a red alarm going off.

I think they just needed to let him get bigger and move him inside. Sort of like when they had Nelson playing end in 2017.

Man, the guys that can tear it up in both areas do not grow on trees.
I agree but don't you think Texas is one of the places that should not have to settle with certain deficiencies. I know head coaches love their boys sometimes....but Giles lack of gusto on the recruiting front is not a secret in the coaching world.

anyway I agree big yr for him and drayton.

why should they be collective upgrades? Neither belongs in the same sentence with Omenihu.

Okay, generally I agree that Giles is not a Rockstar recruiter, but he does seem to always put a solid product on the field. So, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt on our DL this coming season.

As to the quoted comment above, heading into their senior seasons, respectively, Roach had shown more than Omenihu.

I think the DL will be just fine this year.

That's not what I asked you. Which guy out of that group is the guy you can absolutely bank on the most?

That’s why I said it was the wrong question. But I see your point. We can’t be optimistic unless the returning players already have lots of playing time and stats - through which stats you can bank and quantify your optimism. If that’s your measure, you ought to transfer your concerns to cornerback.

That’s smug but inaccurate. You used returning sacks and TFLs 2018 v 2019 as the basis for your skepticism. That’s meaningless unless you multiply the 2019 returning stats to correspond to playing time.
You still haven't answered the question.

Yes, I used production as a key point to discussing the questions of this team.

I think they just needed to let him get bigger and move him inside. Sort of like when they had Nelson playing end in 2017.
giphy.gif

That’s why I said it was the wrong question. But I see your point. We can’t be optimistic unless the returning players already have lots of playing time and stats - through which stats you can bank and quantify your optimism. If that’s your measure, you ought to transfer your concerns to cornerback.
Can you please answer the question?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT