ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Herman The Whisperer...)

Damn - this was a keg of burnt orange kool aid.

giphy.gif

What a difference some of your posts makes. Some time back you said There is no way Warren is not going to be the starting RB. Amazing how some of these things change.

I think that was a source quote.

Opening up the middle of the field has to help Buechele's game. An offense can't live on bubble screens and go routes alone…..
Don't know how often I must remind y'all: there is a rule against throwing a forward pass into the middle of the field. Fifteen yards and loss of down. Jeez. Read the rules.

We have had a keeper fantasy football league for 20 years and I think it will dissolve this season. Nobody watches the NFL enough anymore during the regular season to care. We might just replace with a weekly pick'em competition. Any suggestions for good free sites for this?
So I've had a fantasy league for 24 years now but started doing a pickem with a few other guys 6 years ago. I can honestly say it's MUCH, MUCH more fun than fantasy football. Because we just have to worry about which team wins the game instead of those stupid conflicting emotions when I have one team's QB and the other teams Defense in the same game and my opponent has one of the kickers... ugh.

We used Yahoo sports for several years and it was pretty good but switched to CBS.sportsline version last year because they have an app you can do your picks on.

Reactions: batcity
If he can do the same things here that he's done at Ohio State and Houston, I think he has a chance to be our next DKR."

With all due respect to DKR I believe CTH will take the program to a consistently higher level than it's ever been. And within 5-6 years I think he'll have more conference titles than Mack did in his entire career.
I just wanna start wining again and you guys comparing TH to DKR.I would rather win 8-9 games and CTH haven't won one yet.Winning is hard work not talk.If he wins 2-3 NC then we can begin comparing and I hope he does.

Back in early November, when the winds of change were really starting to blow in regards to a shift at the top of the Texas football program, I was having a conversation with one of the top decision-makers in the entire university about then Houston head coach Tom Herman and the bottom line about his candidacy.

"We've tried it the other way and I think everyone is on the same page about what we need to do," the high-level person said. "We need a guy that is great with quarterbacks and not someone that has to go find someone to be great with quarterbacks. I think we learned our lesson in that regard. The way I see it, there's no one in the nation that we could sign that would be better in terms of developing quarterbacks than him. If he can do the same things here that he's done at Ohio State and Houston, I think he has a chance to be our next DKR."

A few weeks later, Herman got the job.

@Ketchum, did you report this conversation to us at the time? The hiring process seems like a blur now, but all I remember reading were reports that Herman would not be the guy because of some "issue" he had that the power that be refused to look past.

Kool Aid, Kool Aid Everywhere!

But to me, the short blurb about "hoping our O-Line is good enough" is more important than all the Buechele, Chris Warren, Collin Johnson and Malik Jefferson talk combined. I'm scared poopless about our OL (and DL) right now, much less if we get an injury or two.

Anyone predicting more than 8 wins is really just hoping the OL and DL hold up and don't get hurt.

But if they do stay healthy, more than 8 wins could actually happen...

Reactions: LeeRoy Brown
Jerry Jones has done a lot to help the NFL help itself, especially in the area of teaching the league to market its products. It has produced millions of dollars for every team in the league, a league that had no idea about marketing. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. I do not like him as a GM but he is a fabulous owner.
Fabulous owners hire great GMs and stay out of the field business.

For anybody who questions why/how Jerry Jones is in the HOF, they should read Tim Cowlishaw's article on the topic. It is not a Jerry Jone's love fest if you are concerned about that.

Most thoughtful Cowboys fans know that Jerry's ego cost us at least 1 and probably more Super Bowl wins. And for that few of us will ever forgive him.

But as the saying goes: "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks" and maybe nobody in the history of the NFL has added more zeros to the bottom line of the NFL than that Glory Hole loving hick from Arkansas.

All those successful business men NFL Owners of the 80s-90s didn't have a clue how to maximize revenue until Jerry came along and taught them how to make real money.

And that is why Goodell makes $40M a year today and why they all kiss Jerry's Ass and why he is in the HOF.

Now, if Jerry would only learn how to fire one of the worst GMs in NFL History, everything would be great.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...ed-hall-fame-jacket-changing-way-nfl-business

No person covering the Longhorns in the media has been quicker to shout for patience with the development of Shane Buechele coming into this season.

Look who just went aggy.

Anyone who's been reading this board knows that you've loudly proclaimed a vote of no confidence for Shane just as soon as last season ended. You've been all over Sam's jock.

We all called you on it every time you were down on Shane, which was every single time you had something to say about the UT QB race.

No where did you say patience. You flat out didn't think the guy was the guy.

I think you'd better sit this one out. In fact, it's probably best if you don't even respond. If you do, maybe you could just admit that you were wrong. Or, you could continue to trot down the path of aggy logic.

What a narcassic and completely untrue take. Jeez.

Reactions: daveotr and cwest02
920x920.jpg

(Photo courtesy of the San Antonio Express News)

Back in early November, when the winds of change were really starting to blow in regards to a shift at the top of the Texas football program, I was having a conversation with one of the top decision-makers in the entire university about then Houston head coach Tom Herman and the bottom line about his candidacy.

"We've tried it the other way and I think everyone is on the same page about what we need to do," the high-level person said. "We need a guy that is great with quarterbacks and not someone that has to go find someone to be great with quarterbacks. I think we learned our lesson in that regard. The way I see it, there's no one in the nation that we could sign that would be better in terms of developing quarterbacks than him. If he can do the same things here that he's done at Ohio State and Houston, I think he has a chance to be our next DKR."

A few weeks later, Herman got the job.

Fast-forward to the month of August and Herman has made a name for himself in quite a few realms. He's Herman the Recruiter and Herman the Sledgehammer of Old Locker Rooms. Oh, and let us not forget Herman the Aligner.

The man has accomplished so much in first nine months on the job and has had his hands involved in so many projects that it's easy to forget with less than a month to go before the season starts that he got this job because of one nickname in particular ... Herman the Quarterback Whisperer.

Over the course of the last half-decade at both Ohio State and Houston, it really hasn't mattered what you've given him in terms of pieces, just give him some clay and he'll create a mold in the form of a star.

In 2012 and 2013, he turned Braxton Miller into the most feared player in the Big 10. When Miller went down in 2014, Herman turned J.T. Barrett into the best offensive player in the Big 10. When Barrett was injured at the back end of that year, Herman shrugged his shoulders and helped Ohio State win a national title with Cardale Jones. As if that wasn't enough, he arrived at Houston and took a player in Greg Ward that some people at UH weren't convinced was even a quarterback and turned him into an all-Conference juggernaut.

That brings us to the quarterback position at Texas in 2017.

No person covering the Longhorns in the media has been quicker to shout for patience with the development of Shane Buechele coming into this season. After all, we're still talking about a player who needs to prove he can beat good teams, play well on the road and put a string of games together where consistency isn't a concern. On top of that, even players like Colt McCoy have suffered from the dreaded sophomore slump as a starting college quarterback.

Still, while all of those reservations are 100 percent fair, it's also fair to mention that most sophomore quarterbacks don't have The Whisperer supervising their developments.

Considering the make-up of this team and the overall talent level in relation to the rest of the conference, Buechele probably only needs to make modest improvements to put the Longhorns in a position to compete at the top of the league. If he can make the same level of leaps that Herman's former pupils were able to make, the sky would seem to be the limit for this team like it was for the Buckeyes and Cougars when Herman was leading the offensive charge.

With less than four weeks to go until the season-opener, it's impossible to know what to expect from Buechele, the expected starting quarterback, unless ... unless ... you believe Herman is every bit The Whisperer that his reputation suggests.

If that's the case, maybe we should know exactly what to expect.

No. 2 – A little birdie ...

44988308-Psst-Psst-A-little-birdie-told-me-that-someone-special-wants-this-image--Stock-Vector.jpg

Here's a look at a few comments from the weekend after talking to a couple of sources in and around the Texas football program.

* "We will have to see what it means, but Buechele looks as confident right now in his own skin than I remember him looking at any point this spring. Everything has a quicker pace. He's a serious competitor, but he's still a quiet competitor. I think as his confidence has grown, the rest of the offense kind of feeds off that."

* "Don't sleep on Kyle Porter. No back on the team runs harder and no back on the team does what Stan Drayton asks for more than he does."

* "Collin Johnson is going to have all-Big 12 numbers if Buechele plays all 12 games and can stay healthy. He's the guy (Buechele) looks for, that's (Buechele's) guy."

* "One of the former NFL Longhorns that has been around a lot lately told another former player that that the battles between the receivers and the defensive backs reminds him of when he played here."

* "I'm hopeful that our offensive line is going to be good enough."

* "Taquan Graham is better than anyone we have (on the defensive line) outside of Malcolm and Poona. He's going to take someone's job before the season is over.

No. 3 – This stood out ...

It's not official, but you get the sense that this football team is becoming Shane Buechele's to rule.

From The SundayPulpit: Tom Herman on Buechele

“I heard him scream, which is really cool. In enjoyment and in disapproval, hearing his voice is really cool. I think even the players told him your voice is really powerful. It can have a dramatic effect on the way that we respond, whether it’s to success or to failure. What you say and how you say it has an effect. I think he’s taking that to heart and done a really good job. It’s not forced, either. He’s just expressing what he was feeling inside, where before I think he kept it all to himself.”

No. 4 – Texas Football Tweet of the Weekend...

No. 5 – Buy or Sell …

BUY or SELL: Herman will have this team's mental game turned around so that no matter what happens against USC, the team will not devolve back into its confused and defeated "comfort zone?"

(Buy) The Texas football program is turning a corner right now. It will not go back.

BUY or SELL: Kyle Porter rushes for over 1,000 yards this year?

(Sell) I don't know if this team has a 1,000-yard back on it this year, but I think the committee on hand should do a solid job.

BUY or SELL: All things considered (coaches, coaching, S&C, alignment, players maturing, new players, everything), this team is 8 points per game better than last year’s team?

(Buy) The Longhorns were +0.4 last year in point differential per game. The 2017 Longhorns will be better than +8.4 for the season.

BUY or SELL: By the first game of 2019, Shane Buechele, Sam Ehlinger, Casey Thompson, Cameron Rising and Roschon Johnson will all be on the roster?

(Sell) That's a loooooooong time from now. Something will give by then.

BUY or SELL: Mo Bamba averages 14 points 8 boards and 3 blocks?

(Buy) Pass me some round-ball Kool-Aid.

No. 6 – Facts of the Day...

Saw this on Twitter over the weekend and felt like it was worth sharing.

No. 7 – Jerry Jones ... check that ... Hall of Famer Jerry Jones ...

usa_today_10199165.0.jpg

We now live in a world where Jerry Jones owns a gold jacket and has been forever immortalized as a football icon.

I feel like this is surely a sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand Jones' impact on the sport and his place is justly earned as a person you can't tell the history of the NFL without mentioning him a time or two. You can strongly argue that he's had as much of an impact as anyone in the league in the last 25 years.

Still, if you take me back to the day that Jerry and Jimmy held that sham of a press conference that ended their partnership with the Cowboys and tell me that the end result is that the Cowboys wouldn't win another championship outside of the one that the team won on cruise control with a sham head coach, you'd have a very hard time of convincing my 1995 self that Jones deserves to be anywhere close to the Hall of Fame without a paid ticket.

How has this happened? How did Jones get the last laugh when he hasn't come within two games of a Super Bowl in the last 20 years? How is Jerry Jones in the Hall of Fame, but Jimmy Johnson is only on a boat?

I suppose nothing says the last 20 years of the Dallas Cowboys quite like Jerry Jones wearing a gold jacket for things almost exclusively unrelated to his team's success on the field in every single one of my adult years.

No. 8 – Confession time...

I am as ill-prepared for a fantasy football draft as any in the last 25 years. I just haven't had the desire to dive in yet. I've even forgotten my draft slot. I think I'm 9th.

No. 9 – Game of Thrones Review: Season 7, Episode 4...

My stream of conscious thoughts on Sunday night's episode of Game of Thrones will follow as soon as I have had time to watch the episode tonight.

I know I said that last week, but I mean it this time.

No. 10 – And finally …

T-minus, 26 days and change, folks.

635830583630716650-1142134641_1166732603671pv7.gif

GoT was amazing!!

Seems like our season will now ride on how well our OLine comes together. We have all the things it will take to win big games.

More shocking, Tiger's demise or the Cowboys' demise? Jones ran football's best organization into the ground. He's a POS.

Last edited:
Reactions: homebubba
With the real need for OL and DL in 2018, I still have no idea why the number one lineman in Texas (Darrell Simpson) cannot get an offer from Herman. Has this mystery ever been addressed?

You're tight with one of the biggest fish in the entire university? Not just the West Mall, but the whole enchilada?

Jerry Jones has done a lot to help the NFL help itself, especially in the area of teaching the league to market its products. It has produced millions of dollars for every team in the league, a league that had no idea about marketing. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. I do not like him as a GM but he is a fabulous owner.

He may deserve the HOF, but so does Jimmy Johnson and I think Jimmy should have gone first. You don't usually see a college coach come into the league and wreck shop like Jimmy did. His ability to get all those picks for H. Walker and turn them into Super Bowl winner was as fascinating as it was successful.

Also seemed to know how to get the most out of just about any player.

I say we replace "OU Sux" with "14-0". I prefer to concentrate on the Horns.
So tired of someone posting "ou suxs" and they are first. Guess I'm missing out on the exciting parts of life. Been then I"m an old fart. 14-0 Hook 'em

Agree with #7 100%. Can't believe it myself

ADVERTISEMENT