ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Herman The Whisperer...)

We have had a keeper fantasy football league for 20 years and I think it will dissolve this season. Nobody watches the NFL enough anymore during the regular season to care. We might just replace with a weekly pick'em competition. Any suggestions for good free sites for this?
Happened to our FFL last year. Our first draft, August, 1995. Best draft experience, VY rookie, held in Las Vegas.
Hook'em
ou sux

Don't know how often I must remind y'all: there is a rule against throwing a forward pass into the middle of the field. Fifteen yards and loss of down. Jeez. Read the rules.
It was mentioned in the last newsletter . ..err never mind.
Hook'em
ou sux

Jerrah gave away the last 20 years of Cowboy football because of his gargantuan ego. He does not belong in the HOF. He has made good business decisions, terrible football decisions. By contrast, Jimmy Johnson belongs in the HOF.
Jimmy Johnson made him famous. Jerra made himself and the NFL richer.
Herschel Walker dI'd his part.
Hook'em
ou sux

In for yet another Kool-aid thread.

Btw... KD is on every of the most potent offensive players in history. He is better than KL BY FAR on offense.

However, it is hard to quantify KL's two way impact. Not saying that he's the MVP and that's KD didn't deserve it. Just think it's hard to compare KD's season against KL when only one of them played elite defense.

BTW.. I love both players so it's not a rub against either.

With the real need for OL and DL in 2018, I still have no idea why the number one lineman in Texas (Darrell Simpson) cannot get an offer from Herman. Has this mystery ever been addressed?
I'm always perplexed by this kind of post. First of all, you mean he's ranked #1, but not necessarily the best, right? So would you admit that it's subjective how good he is, and Herman and Warehime just aren't that high on him, for whatever reason? It's no "mystery," they just don't think he deserves an offer, obviously. Are you or the guys from the recruiting services better judges of OL talent than the guys who haven't offered him, i.e., Herman and Warehime?

Reactions: BigSkyHorn
I'm always perplexed by this kind of post. First of all, you mean he's ranked #1, but not necessarily the best, right? So would you admit that it's subjective how good he is, and Herman and Warehime just aren't that high on him, for whatever reason? It's no "mystery," they just don't think he deserves an offer, obviously. Are you or the guys from the recruiting services better judges of OL talent than the guys who haven't offered him, i.e., Herman and Warehime?
I won't admit that it's subjective how good he is. Not when 41 schools have offered him scholarships, including Oklahoma, Ohio St., Michigan, Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Aggy, Arizona St., Auburn, TCU, Texas Tech, Okie Lite, Utah, LSU, Ole Piss, Mississippi St and Colorado.

Just because Herman and Warehime haven't offered doesn't mean that he's not good or worthy of his high 4 star ranking.

I think it's fair to say that it's a mystery why Herman and Warehime haven't offered him.

I'm not sure how to feel about a freshman being one of our best DL. Kind of scary actually unless he is freaky good like Oliver from UH.
The DL class of 2016, aside from Roach, is coming close to busting out. Daniels, Wilbon and Fitzgerald are just guys right now.

Way too early for that...their sophomores and 2017 season has not yet started

The Dallas Cowboys will win a super bowl within the next five years and it will rustle the sh*t of former Dallas fans.

Reactions: daveotr and Horn19
Couldnt agree more about Jerry being undeserving of the Hall of Fame. The man can never get out of his own way (ego), and has been nothing but a serious impdiment to The Cowboys return to the Super Bowl. How many years (decades) has this team been the epitome of medicrority (until recently) due to Jones' egomaniacal, bumbling micromanagement of coaches (in name only) and player selection & personnel!? He's made of mockery of what was once the greatest football franchise in NFL history. But he's in the Hall of Fame now? For what? Hall of Game Snake Oil Salesman?

What a difference some of your posts makes. Some time back you said There is no way Warren is not going to be the starting RB. Amazing how some of these things change.
I'm still not personally sold on Porter as an impact back.

@Ketchum, did you report this conversation to us at the time? The hiring process seems like a blur now, but all I remember reading were reports that Herman would not be the guy because of some "issue" he had that the power that be refused to look past.
I did. Not that quote, but the content of the conversation, yes.

Look who just went aggy.

Anyone who's been reading this board knows that you've loudly proclaimed a vote of no confidence for Shane just as soon as last season ended. You've been all over Sam's jock.

We all called you on it every time you were down on Shane, which was every single time you had something to say about the UT QB race.

No where did you say patience. You flat out didn't think the guy was the guy.

I think you'd better sit this one out. In fact, it's probably best if you don't even respond. If you do, maybe you could just admit that you were wrong. Or, you could continue to trot down the path of aggy logic.

What a narcassic and completely untrue take. Jeez.
I've said at least 20 times that I view Shane's upside to be that of a guy that goes to New York at the end of the season at some point in his career.

The question I have had for him is whether he is ready to take that leap this year. I still have questions.

You literally are making up a narrative that doesn't exist.

With the real need for OL and DL in 2018, I still have no idea why the number one lineman in Texas (Darrell Simpson) cannot get an offer from Herman. Has this mystery ever been addressed?
The staff just hasn't showed a lick of interest.

You're tight with one of the biggest fish in the entire university? Not just the West Mall, but the whole enchilada?
There are numerous big fish, and, yes, I know a few of them. So does pretty much everyone on the staff.

In for yet another Kool-aid thread.

Btw... KD is on every of the most potent offensive players in history. He is better than KL BY FAR on offense.

However, it is hard to quantify KL's two way impact. Not saying that he's the MVP and that's KD didn't deserve it. Just think it's hard to compare KD's season against KL when only one of them played elite defense.

BTW.. I love both players so it's not a rub against either.
you're not paying attention if you think Durant isn't an elite defensive presence.

Will Rising flip? A lot of chatter on 247.
Don't. Care.

If he decommits, he will have decommitted from both Lincoln Riley and Tom Herman, two of the best offensive coaches and quarterback developers in the college game. :eek:

As somebody mentioned the other day, it's not realistic to think you'll have a QB room of Shane Buechele, Sam Ehlinger, Casey Thompson, Camron Rising and Roshcon Johnson in 2019. That's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: c.c.rider
you're not paying attention if you think Durant isn't an elite defensive presence.
They're both elite players. They got to the same place in two different ways.

Durant came into the league as a near elite offensive player but a weak defensive player and worked his way to become an elite defender as well.

Leonard came into the league as a near elite defender and a weak (limited) offensive player and worked his way to become an elite offensive player as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: darrenj
For anybody who questions why/how Jerry Jones is in the HOF, they should read Tim Cowlishaw's article on the topic. It is not a Jerry Jone's love fest if you are concerned about that.

Most thoughtful Cowboys fans know that Jerry's ego cost us at least 1 and probably more Super Bowl wins. And for that few of us will ever forgive him.

But as the saying goes: "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks" and maybe nobody in the history of the NFL has added more zeros to the bottom line of the NFL than that Glory Hole loving hick from Arkansas.

All those successful business men NFL Owners of the 80s-90s didn't have a clue how to maximize revenue until Jerry came along and taught them how to make real money.

And that is why Goodell makes $40M a year today and why they all kiss Jerry's Ass and why he is in the HOF.

Now, if Jerry would only learn how to fire one of the worst GMs in NFL History, everything would be great.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...ed-hall-fame-jacket-changing-way-nfl-business
He should be in the business HOF then. Not the football one.

Couldnt agree more about Jerry being undeserving of the Hall of Fame. The man can never get out of his own way (ego), and has been nothing but a serious impdiment to The Cowboys return to the Super Bowl. How many years (decades) has this team been the epitome of medicrority (until recently) due to Jones' egomaniacal, bumbling micromanagement of coaches (in name only) and player selection & personnel!? He's made of mockery of what was once the greatest football franchise in NFL history. But he's in the Hall of Fame now? For what? Hall of Game Snake Oil Salesman?
He pretty much totally changed how NFL owners market their teams to the tune of millions, helped usher in the NFL on fox and has had a massive impact on the league for many years. Anyone that denies that is just being a hater. Hell even the recent team moves with the raiders to Vegas, rams to LA etc had jones involved.

Reactions: daveotr
i do think he was a good defender. I also think he's grow significantly in the last 4/5 years in his defense. Not saying he was a slouch, but also not saying he was elite. With his length, he has always been amazing at blocks and steals.

The hard part to quantify is how often does the other player have to throw it away or miss shots because you were defending them.

If you think that people were recommending KD for defensive POY in 2012 then I would be surprised.

In 2012, KD was considered one of the top three offensive players in the league.
In 2016, KL was considered one of the top 3 defensive players in the league.

I don't believe either of them gets top three in the other category.

Once again, my point was NOT to say KD wasn't good on D. It was merely to say that some of the things that KD does is not easy to quantify on that comparison chart. And... I love KD too

I've said at least 20 times that I view Shane's upside to be that of a guy that goes to New York at the end of the season at some point in his career.

The question I have had for him is whether he is ready to take that leap this year. I still have questions.

You literally are making up a narrative that doesn't exist.
So you now think Buechele is a four year starter?

How dare you post a clip of Sam throwing an incompletion. The Wizard will not stand for this

He pretty much totally changed how NFL owners market their teams to the tune of millions, helped usher in the NFL on fox and has had a massive impact on the league for many years. Anyone that denies that is just being a hater. Hell even the recent team moves with the raiders to Vegas, rams to LA etc had jones involved.

True, can't deny it. But...you also can't deny he's been a terrible G.M.

True, can't deny it. But...you also can't deny he's been a terrible G.M.

Yeah but he's in the hall of fame for contributions to the NFL (which are massive) not the hall of fame of GMs. Dallas has been much better there though over the last few years with their drafting, scouting dept and his son being heavily involved

Reactions: trophies2
ADVERTISEMENT