ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Herman The Whisperer...)

BUY or SELL: All things considered (coaches, coaching, S&C, alignment, players maturing, new players, everything), this team is 8 points per game better than last year’s team?

(Buy) The Longhorns were +0.4 last year in point differential per game. The 2017 Longhorns will be better than +8.4 for the season.

well, i asked this question with a mind toward seeing what the consensus opinion is. I think an 8 point improvement is reasonable, and i wanted to see what the record would be applying 8 points a game retroactively to last years schedule. the result is 10-2, which appears to be close to the emerging consensus on OB in the various prediction threads I've seen with 9-3 and 10-2 becoming the most popular forecasts these days. I hope it pans out this way.

I realize its a very imprecise proxy, but it does seem to reflect a growing optimism amongst the faithful but is still at odds with the vegas predictions of 7.5 wins (unless that's changed) so we'll see whether it comes to pass or not.

He pretty much totally changed how NFL owners market their teams to the tune of millions, helped usher in the NFL on fox and has had a massive impact on the league for many years. Anyone that denies that is just being a hater. Hell even the recent team moves with the raiders to Vegas, rams to LA etc had jones involved.

This. I understand the hate for Jones, but he's had more impact on the league as a whole than ANY owner post-merger.

Nobody watches the NFL enough anymore during the regular season to care.

Really???

Hook 'em!!!

Jerry Jones has done a lot to help the NFL help itself, especially in the area of teaching the league to market its products. It has produced millions of dollars for every team in the league, a league that had no idea about marketing. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. I do not like him as a GM but he is a fabulous owner.
The Cowboys were selling tickets, image and jerseys a long ass time befor Jerah came along. All he taught the NFL was how to inherit the best franchise in US sports and f' up the on the field performance.

"I suppose nothing says the last 20 years of the Dallas Cowboys quite like Jerry Jones wearing a gold jacket for things almost exclusively unrelated to his team's success on the field in every single one of my adult years."

=)roll
drop the mic on that one.

Reactions: longhornlm
He pretty much totally changed how NFL owners market their teams to the tune of millions, helped usher in the NFL on fox and has had a massive impact on the league for many years. Anyone that denies that is just being a hater. Hell even the recent team moves with the raiders to Vegas, rams to LA etc had jones involved.

How was Jones a factor in the Raiders to Vegas and the Rams to LA? Other than voting like the rest of the owners? How was he the catalyst for the NFL on Fox?

The Cowboys were selling tickets, image and jerseys a long ass time befor Jerah came along. All he taught the NFL was how to inherit the best franchise in US sports and f' up the on the field performance.

Before Jones, the NFL controlled that. Then there was the marketing at the stadium. Still remember the "outrage" by the NFL old guard when Jones dared to tell them to FO and said he could market whatever soda and beer in Texas Stadium along with whatever apparel company. Then opening the door for Fox to get in 25 years ago which drove up TV rights astronomically. Jones brought a league that was decidedly outdated in its thinking into the modern era. I fully understand the mistakes he's made as a "football person." Lord knows those are numerous starting with the Johnson firing. But from a standpoint of making the league what it is, then there's really no denying the influence Jones has had.

Reactions: daveotr
How was Jones a factor in the Raiders to Vegas and the Rams to LA? Other than voting like the rest of the owners? How was he the catalyst for the NFL on Fox?
You need to do some research obviously. He certainly had a lot to do with those factors or he would not have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Before Jones, the NFL controlled that. Then there was the marketing at the stadium. Still remember the "outrage" by the NFL old guard when Jones dared to tell them to FO and said he could market whatever soda and beer in Texas Stadium along with whatever apparel company. Then opening the door for Fox to get in 25 years ago which drove up TV rights astronomically. Jones brought a league that was decidedly outdated in its thinking into the modern era. I fully understand the mistakes he's made as a "football person." Lord knows those are numerous starting with the Johnson firing. But from a standpoint of making the league what it is, then there's really no denying the influence Jones has had.
Good post.

I'm still not personally sold on Porter as an impact back.
He had a meh freshman season.

He strikes me as a Vondrell McGee type. Solid back, but not special in any way.

However, Herman has raved about him and I'm eager to see what improvement he's made. I don't see him as a feature back either, but a good solid back that will help in the passing game as well.

The NFL is worth what it is worth and has the brand that it has because of Jones.

He literally changed the business.

He had a meh freshman season.

He strikes me as a Vondrell McGee type. Solid back, but not special in any way.

However, Herman has raved about him and I'm eager to see what improvement he's made. I don't see him as a feature back either, but a good solid back that will help in the passing game as well.
co-sign

Reactions: trophies2
I'm not a fan of Jerry the GM, and there are many reasons why. There's more bad than good imo.

I'm not sure that's a matter of opinion. His first 2 GM moves, firing Landry/hiring Jimmy, were the easily the 2 best in his career. Since then it's pretty much been a mountain of errors with a few moments mixed in.

I say we replace "OU Sux" with "14-0". I prefer to concentrate on the Horns.
What does 14-0 signify? Because if it's an undefeated season, it would actually be 15–0: 12 regular season games, conference championship game, semi-final, and championship game. Maybe I just missed what 14-0 really stands for.

If he can do the same things here that he's done at Ohio State and Houston, I think he has a chance to be our next DKR."

With all due respect to DKR I believe CTH will take the program to a consistently higher level than it's ever been. And within 5-6 years I think he'll have more conference titles than Mack did in his entire career.
I can see this, especially with Stoops retiring.

I'm not sure that's a matter of opinion. His first 2 GM moves, firing Landry/hiring Jimmy, were the easily the 2 best in his career. Since then it's pretty much been a mountain of errors with a few moments mixed in.
You're right, it's definitely fact.

I've mentioned several times that from 1995-2002, no team drafted worse than Dallas.

When Jerry has been solely in charge of the draft, the results have often been catastrophic. Hiring Parcells immediately improved their drafting. People will always mention the DeMarcus Ware bit, but that's almost literally one example vs innumerable other instances where they passed on good players for guys that couldn't play.

When Bill left and Wade came in, the bad drafting resumed.

When he hired Garrett, who took a much greater role in the draft, along with Will McClay and Stephen Jones, who unlike his father, has a much greater sense of how to build a roster, they've mostly drafted fairly well since 2010. Jerry, while still involved, isn't solely in charge, and that's a good thing.

Jimmy belongs in the Ring of Honor and HOF.

If Terrell Davis can get in on 4-5 great seasons, then Jimmy should get in the HOF because in 5 seasons he turned around a 1-15 team to a team that won consecutive Super Bowls, and frankly deserves the 3rd ring as well.
I am a huge Cowboys fan but Jimmy Johnson should not be in the HOF. Just my opinion. Ego got in the way of a shoe in.

I am a huge Cowboys fan but Jimmy Johnson should not be in the HOF. Just my opinion. Ego got in the way of a shoe in.
Jimmy definitely played a role in their split. Both Jerry and Jimmy ruined a great thing they'd built. Jerry never has experienced the success he had with Johnson, and Jimmy didn't even come close to replicating what he did in Dallas in Miami. Both men needed each other.

As for Jimmy being in the HOF or not? I disagree, I think he should be because he was the chief architect of a building a team that won 3 superbowls. He certainly didn't do it alone, but ultimately, he hired the great staff he had and was heavily involved in their drafting. I give Jones credit too, because he gave Jimmy power to do those things when most owners wouldn't - then ego sunk both men.

Last edited:
Reactions: daveotr
With less than four weeks to go until the season-opener,

game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer.gif

Yeah but he's in the hall of fame for contributions to the NFL (which are massive) not the hall of fame of GMs. Dallas has been much better there though over the last few years with their drafting, scouting dept and his son being heavily involved
I've read nothing but great things about Stephen Jones throughout the years. He's definitely an asset to the Cowboys. He's not as flashy as the old man, but he's very good at what he does.

Yeah but he's in the hall of fame for contributions to the NFL (which are massive) not the hall of fame of GMs. Dallas has been much better there though over the last few years with their drafting, scouting dept and his son being heavily

involved

I don't care. Considering the travesty he's been for the Cowboys, disqualifies him. Unforgivable when a man puts his meglomania above the welfare of the all the Cowboys.
Yes, Cowboys might have turned the corner lately, thanks in large part, to Stephen Jones.

The NFL is worth what it is worth and has the brand that it has because of Jones.

He literally changed the business.

speaking of NFL, in regards to your fantasy football draft I envy your 9 spot. whether its in 10 or 12 team leagues, I found the 9-12 spot has yielded more favorable teams for me. idk what draft strategy you use but I expect you'll be happy with the result as long as you don't go full potato.

I don't care. Considering the travesty he's been for the Cowboys, disqualifies him. Unforgivable when a man puts his meglomania above the welfare of the all the Cowboys.
Yes, Cowboys might have turned the corner lately, thanks in large part, to Stephen Jones.
Will just have to agree to disagree. Jerry is clear HOFer to me

Reactions: Baguette
Question. If the Cowboys win a Super Bowl with Garrett as HC, who gets the credit?

Reactions: Baguette
They're both elite players. They got to the same place in two different ways.

Durant came into the league as a near elite offensive player but a weak defensive player and worked his way to become an elite defender as well.

Leonard came into the league as a near elite defender and a weak (limited) offensive player and worked his way to become an elite offensive player as well.

And KD is better

ADVERTISEMENT