ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I promise I will not be a damn good Kool-Aid supplier ...)

We all think Texas should at least be above average - but they're actually going to have to be above average, at least one year before I resume kool-aid benders -

Yea, we're getting 9-10 regular season wins with decent luck regarding injuries.

Book it.

giphy.gif
For civil discussion sake- who are the 10 wins against?

Are there any games on next years schedule that you are confident Texas will lose?

@Ketchum

I think it's possible that neither Buechele or Ehlinger ever ascend to Colt McCoy type excellence. But I don't get why you think Buechele can't be an effective, winning QB for Texas. The guy possesses accuracy and he's if he's getting better at getting the ball out of his hand faster... then why can't he be at the very least, a "bridge QB" until Ehlinger is a year older or Thompson or Rising step up to the plate.

Is your skepticism of Buechele because of propensity for injury? What is it exactly?

Reactions: bozans and Baguette
I'm taking it one game at a time. I'm not buying any preseason hype and I'm damn sure not drinking any burnt orange Kool Aide. I might pick up the glass once the clock says 0:00 and Texas wins a game.

@gketch

I think it's possible that neither Buechele or Ehlinger ever ascent Colt McCoy type excellence. But I don't why think Buechele can't be an effective, winning QB for Texas. The guy possesses accuracy and he's if he's getting rid of getting the ball out of his hand faster... then why can't he be at the very least, a "bridge QB" until Ehlinger is a year older or Thompson or Rising step up to the plate.

Is your skepticism of Buechele because of propensity for injury? What is it exactly?
Buechele has been average at his very best in his last 20+games.

Hmmm, I don't recall a year in the Big12 where there's been so many starting QBs move on. Can u think of one in the last decade that compares? I honestly can't.
2013 season comes to mind. But, it gets said in some shape or fashion every year. Texas always looks great on paper against the rest of the Big 12.

Personally, I am less than impressed with the goon side of Conor MacGregor....getting 30 hoods to come with you to attack an unsuspecting group of folks trapped on a bus doesn't make you a gangster, it makes you a pu**y. Would love to see Conor and some of those guys show up on the South Side of Chicago or Compton and see how gangster they really are. It was theater of the absurd, and I honestly hope it costs MacGregor a year in jail. Hell, the only person Plaxico hurt was himself....

Buechele has been average at his very best in his last 20+games.

Thrown into the fire as a true frosh under Strong, first year in a new offense last year....
just don't see why he couldn't improve.

I don't care who wins the QB battle as long as he's the best guy--I just think Buechele could get better with more time in the offense and with, hopefully, a better offensive line in front of him.

Thrown into the fire as a true frosh under Strong, first year in a new offense last year....
just don't see why he couldn't improve.

I don't care who wins the QB battle as long as he's the best guy--I just think Buechele could get better with more time in the offense and with, hopefully, a better offensive line in front of him.
I don't doubt Buechele can get better. I just don't think it is enough to catch up to Ehlinger....but, like you said, I just want whoever truly wins the QB battle to get the PT.

I'm thinking Maryland, Tulsa, USC, K St., OU, Baylor, OkSt, Tech, Kansas, Iowa St.

I said 9-10, so I reserve the right to be wrong on one of those. ;)
Haha, fair enough. OU is quietly stacked and always put that game at 50/50. I like UT against TCU. I don't think the QB will be Green enough for the Horned Frogs. I see 9, but on the fence for 10. Coin flip.

Haha, fair enough. OU is quietly stacked and always put that game at 50/50. I like UT against TCU. I don't think the QB will be Green enough for the Horned Frogs. I see 9, but on the fence for 10. Coin flip.
So, 5 months after a 6-6 regular season, you think this team will be borderline top 10?

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
So, 5 months after a 6-6 regular season, you think this team will be borderline top 10?
I know it sounds insane, but I sincerely think 9 is a definite. 10 may be too much gumption, but I think as UT has grown, a lot of other teams are needing to find themselves. I think UT beats all their OOC opponents and OU and surprisingly, I think BU is a stumbling block. Coin flip OSU or TCU who break in new guys and there is your 9-10...

Reactions: pdrscott99
@Ketchum ... solid logic and I am agreeable about NOT drinking the Kool-aid yet. Deep down I feel Herman is “the guy” to lead us back to greatness, it’s just that it seems that last year he was surprised by everything, especially Maryland. Damn I want him to succeed but I don’t know what the problem is. Anyway solid article. I appreciate you posting all you do and all the manure you take as the owner-operator of this site. Just my two cents.

As someone who has covered college football recruiting for nearly a quarter-century, I'd like to think I don't impress easily because I've seen the best of the best (Mack Brown, Tim Brewster, Bobby Bowden, etc ...) in their absolute primes. That disclaimer out of the way, I must say that if there's one area of the program to feel best about under Herman, it has to be recruiting.

Herman and his staff are proving to be elite in almost every capacity in this incredibly critical piece of program-building.
fortune-clapping.gif

If our coaches use the receiving corps we have to the tune of 300+ yards per game, then we will win a lot of games. West coast offence with good qb reads, and that can be coached. No team has the back 6/7 to cover the big bodies we have if they are ALL on the field at the same time. LJH, CJ, DD and Beck cannot be effectively covered at the same time. Go 4 or 5 wide with speed in Burk, Heard, or Pouncey and there are match-up cover nightmare. The question is: Is Beck and the WR coach smart enough to recognize this? They were not last year.

Reactions: pdrscott99
If our coaches use the receiving corps we have to the tune of 300+ yards per game, then we will win a lot of games. West coast offence with good qb reads, and that can be coached. No team has the back 6/7 to cover the big bodies we have if they are ALL on the field at the same time. LJH, CJ, DD and Beck cannot be effectively covered at the same time. Go 4 or 5 wide with speed in Burk, Heard, or Pouncey and there are match-up cover nightmare. The question is: Is Beck and the WR coach smart enough to recognize this? They were not last year.

Just need the OL do their job. For like the first time in a decade. I'm hoping they do. It's way overdue.

Reactions: DrHorn98
Excellent 10 Thoughts ...

We play our best football in the Spring these days .... in the Fall, we have to play other teams and they want to win too ... and that is when reality sets in.

8 regular season wins would be a good target for a team with huge issues on offense to overcome.

Nice NBA Jam reference and Rory was not “very, very good.” Terrible putting today that lost him the grand slam,

ADVERTISEMENT