ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I promise I will not be a damn good Kool-Aid supplier ...)

Even in hindsight, I don't think your pick of 9 wins last season (including a bowl game) was that much of a stretch. They were in just about every game down to the last few minutes of the 4th quarter and a play or two here or there could have easily provided for 2 more wins. Sure, there were some low moments and a few head scratching personnel decisions and play calls, but the biggest deficiencies with this team were the lack of experienced QBs and critical injuries and departures on the OL. Next season, for the first time in a number of years, they likely won't have to depend on a true freshman in the 2-deep at QB. It also looks like they won't be facing a monster's row of some of the best returning QB's in college football. I think it's pretty much a given that this team gets at least 8 or 9 wins.

I think it's pretty much a given that this team gets at least 8 or 9 wins.
A lot of folks were saying the same thing last year at this time.

Have you forgotten the Tech game?

I WILL NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Herman is slow playing the qb battle because he can't have Buechel transfer. The competition will carry into fall camp and Sam will start against Maryland.

A details oriented O-line coach with SEC chops and an extra year of QB experience has to equal 9 wins this year right? ....right?!?
No. Not automatically.
Based on the responses you’ve answered, we tend to not count the close wins either, and as good as Hand has been, Malzahn and co. were on the warm suit only a season and a half ago.

Damn Good Coaches don't have the constant issues that Shaka has. He is an illusion and Ketch needs a new pair of eyeglasses to see it.

Reactions: pdrscott99
Something is wrong, I find myself agreeing with you more these days @Ketchum I’m trying to decide whether I need to seek help for this.

One thing I know for sure is the defense will be very good.

But we still don’t have a proven QB, OC, or a proven OL. Those are kind of important in college football.

Reactions: NativeTex
A lot of folks were saying the same thing last year at this time.

Have you forgotten the Tech game?
Every year, even the best teams lay eggs and lose a game or two that they shouldn't. OU lost at home to Iowa State last year. Clemson lost to Syracuse. Urban Meyer's 2014 national championship team lost by two touchdowns to a way below average Virginia Tech team. It happens. I don't know if it's completely fair to judge a team on the basis of it's worst performance of the season.

Improvement isn’t always incremental in football. In fact, there is often a sudden and unexpected jump in a team’s record. You need talent first, then experience, then depth, and good coaching. Last year was incremental progress - close games against quality opponents instead of blow outs - but a lack of talent in key positions at which injury struck, and strange coaching decisions, resulted in 7-6.

Given the overall talent, experience, developing depth, an exceptional defensive coach and the changes to the offensive staff, I’ll be more surprised by 8 wins than by more than 8. We aren’t a playoff team by any stretch, but we should be a ranked team at the end of the year.

Improvement isn’t always incremental in football. In fact, there is often a sudden and unexpected jump in a team’s record. You need talent first, then experience, then depth, and good coaching. Last year was incremental progress - close games against quality opponents instead of blow outs - but a lack of talent in key positions at which injury struck, and strange coaching decisions, resulted in 7-6.

Given the overall talent, experience, developing depth, an exceptional defensive coach and the changes to the offensive staff, I’ll be more surprised by 8 wins than by more than 8. We aren’t a playoff team by any stretch, but we should be a ranked team at the end of the year.

I'll spare Ketch the reply. "I've heard that same thing the last 8 years".

I agree with you BCH

BUY or SELL: CDC probably didn’t realize how big of shit show Texas can be/is behind scenes when he took the job ?

(Buy) I'm told he was completely taken aback by the sheer volume of Texas employees in the athletic department, especially the number of employees who don't directly interact with Texas athletes.

I don’t have the stats to prove it, but I sense that administrative bloat at The Forty has been absolutely out of control for about the last fifteen or so years. Would love someone knowledgeable to give us the student: professor: administrator ratio in, say, 1998 compared to now.

James Harden has had six very good seasons. He has not won a championship. I would not call him an "all-time great" player. I would say that he's been very good. But greatness calls for something different.
He's been better than very good. He's about to be an MVP and is probably one of the top five best offensive players of all-time.

Reactions: J Tull
Every year, even the best teams lay eggs and lose a game or two that they shouldn't. OU lost at home to Iowa State last year. Clemson lost to Syracuse. Urban Meyer's 2014 national championship team lost by two touchdowns to a way below average Virginia Tech team. It happens. I don't know if it's completely fair to judge a team on the basis of it's worst performance of the season.
was that the worst performance of the season?

Beck is still the OC, and just as importantly, he's still the QB coach.

Both those facts should be enough to keep the koolaid-peddlers at bay.

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
a. Should means nothing. Tons of confirmation bias in those "should" discussions. Texas fans think Texas should have beaten USC. USC fans think they should have beaten Texas by more points than it did.
b. I wasn't suggesting anyone would be happy with 7-8 wins.

Yep. The one argument that kills "should" is "didnt".

This is still a team with uninspiring quarterback play, no definite answers at running back or tight end, and an offensive line that has been below average for 11 consecutive seasons.

6 OL and 2 QB in each incoming class. Program needs numbers and coaching and player responsibility. 11 seasons is beyond ridiculous/inexcusable at Texas.

Reactions: pdrscott99
He's been better than very good. He's about to be an MVP and is probably one of the top five best offensive players of all-time.

Well you've changed your argument from "all-time great" to "probably one of the top five best offensive players of all-time." He's Bob McAdoo without the championships. Bob was a very good player but not an all-time great.

And Harden is not among top-five best offensive players of all-time. You're suffering from recency bias. In his ninth season, Harden has less than 16,000 points. If he stays healthy for about 6-7 more years and continues at the rate of the last six years he'll be in the discussion with Wilt, Michael, Lebron, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq, Karl Malone, Elvin Hayes, Dirk, Julius Erving, Oscar Robertson, Kevin Durant (assuming he stays healthy for 5-6 more years) etc... Offensively, Harden compares with Rick Barry and Russell Westbrook. Very good offensive players, no doubt, but not top five all time.

Last edited:
Good stuff Ketch. You are a good Dad and prepare yourself for more. Keep up the good work and it's ok to dream big.:)

This. Nothing wrong with that either. We’re fans. It’s not harmful or wrong to think this team takes steps forward this year and considering it’s going to be a likely down year in the big 12 and talent on the roster it would be more surprising if it didn’t happen unless Herman just isn’t a good coach

Reactions: NativeTex
was that the worst performance of the season?
Considering the opponent and the lackluster performance, that game seemed to fit the profile where the better team (slightly) played down to the level of the competition. I think Maryland was bad, but it was somewhat of an anomaly where the defense was had yet to completely jell.

ADVERTISEMENT