ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I promise I will not be a damn good Kool-Aid supplier ...)

Not sure why, but I found this to be one of the most entertaining "10 Thoughts" in a while; maybe because you mentioned my Red Sox. It does help when your first games are against the Marlins and Rays, but scoring 6 runs in the 8th to win the game yesterday, especially coming with 2 outs, was pretty cool. The QB situation will remain the elephant in the room through 12 games next season. Health and clutch misplays will be evident throughout the season, which will keep the elephant prominently placed in the corner, or perhaps in front of the TV set.

The silent auction story reminds me of the one time I won big with only a $100 donation: an autographed guitar (a good one, signed by Jerry Jeff Walker) AND a round for four at Barton Creek CC. Glad your daughter is better, but dang!

Hook 'em!!!

A few of us have been further ahead of the curve when it came to pointing out Shaka's roster mismanagement.

The recent buzz on Kerwin Roach leaning towards turning pro and remaining in the NBA Draft, even if it seems unlikely that he'll have any assurances that he'll be drafted, feels like an absolute death blow for the 2018-19 Texas basketball team.​
Given the weight of next season and the current mood of the room around this basketball program, potentially losing the most important upperclassman in the entire program seems exactly like the kind of thing Shaka Smart just can't afford to have happen.
Texas needs to buy Roach a big ole insurance policy to cover him for one season with the promise a successful team and individual season will raise his draft stock dramatically. A&M has done this for a few players in the past. Not sure if we have?

@Ketchum

I think it's possible that neither Buechele or Ehlinger ever ascend to Colt McCoy type excellence. But I don't get why you think Buechele can't be an effective, winning QB for Texas. The guy possesses accuracy and he's if he's getting better at getting the ball out of his hand faster... then why can't he be at the very least, a "bridge QB" until Ehlinger is a year older or Thompson or Rising step up to the plate.

Is your skepticism of Buechele because of propensity for injury? What is it exactly?
I'd agree and Buechele is working his tail off. Quicker release and bulked up a bit will help in several directions. Better OL is the key to his type of game.

Last edited:
Well you've changed your argument from "all-time great" to "probably one of the top five best offensive players of all-time." He's Bob McAdoo without the championships. Bob was a very good player but not an all-time great.

And Harden is not among top-five best offensive players of all-time. You're suffering from recency bias. In his ninth season, Harden has less than 16,000 points. If he stays healthy for about 6-7 more years and continues at the rate of the last six years he'll be in the discussion with Wilt, Michael, Lebron, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq, Karl Malone, Elvin Hayes, Dirk, Julius Erving, Oscar Robertson, Kevin Durant (assuming he stays healthy for 5-6 more years) etc... Offensively, Harden compares with Rick Barry and Russell Westbrook. Very good offensive players, no doubt, but not top five all time.

Reactions: texasfight11
This. Nothing wrong with that either. We’re fans. It’s not harmful or wrong to think this team takes steps forward this year and considering it’s going to be a likely down year in the big 12 and talent on the roster it would be more surprising if it didn’t happen unless Herman just isn’t a good coach
This is still a team with issues at every position on the offense, even wide receivers. The quarterback play could still rank in the bottom half of the Big 12.

In the first six games of the season, Texas plays USC, TCU, at Kansas State and Oklahoma.

2-2 would be improvement.

Then it has road games in Stillwater and Lubbock.

I would be careful with the "It's a down year in the Big 12." That gets said a lot.

Considering the opponent and the lackluster performance, that game seemed to fit the profile where the better team (slightly) played down to the level of the competition. I think Maryland was bad, but it was somewhat of an anomaly where the defense was had yet to completely jell.
TCU?

C'mon Ketch. Don't be such a hard ass. Shane has had to deal with 3 offensive coordinators, a crap line, ineffective backs, and mia tight ends. Even a proven elite QB would have struggled mightily under such conditions!
An elite quarterback would have a few games to hang is hat on in those last 20+ games. It's time to strop making excuses. He's basically been Case McCoy in his last 20+ games, well... Case McCoy without the big wins.

Been less new to a few.
giphy.gif

Reactions: RLong68
Is roster management part of coaching? Seems like dang good coaches manage the roster. Running off Young before knowing if Jones will be back or if Roach was going pro does not seem like good coaching to me.

Is roster management part of coaching? Seems like dang good coaches manage the roster. Running off Young before knowing if Jones will be back or if Roach was going pro does not seem like good coaching to me.
Smart did a good piece of coaching this year just to keep this team afloat, in part because of poor roster management. It's a layered discussion.

Smart did a good piece of coaching this year just to keep this team afloat, in part because of poor roster management. It's a layered discussion.

That's like giving credit to an arsonist for helping to put out a fire he started. We discuss "layers" all we want, but at the end of the day, Shaka is simply not a very good coach. Can he be decent, solid? Perhaps, but even then he has a ways to go, particularly in a Power 5 conference. Right now we literally have, at best, the 8th best HC in the Big 12 hoops.

Reactions: TD TX TD VY
That's like giving credit to an arsonist for helping to put out a fire he started. We discuss "layers" all we want, but at the end of the day, Shaka is simply not a very good coach. Can he be decent, solid? Perhaps, but even then he has a ways to go, particularly in a Power 5 conference. Right now we literally have, at best, the 8th best HC in the Big 12 hoops.
You don't get that team to the Tournament without being a good coach. Period.

Is Tom Herman a damn good coach?

I like his chances to be proven one a helluva lot sooner than Shaka's. Three seasons at Texas, and Smart is exactly 50-50 overall and a pathetic 23-31 in B12 play. And the WORST part is, heading into year FOUR, there is still no rhyme or reason with his program and what it's about.

I like his chances to be proven one a helluva lot sooner than Shaka's. Three seasons at Texas, and Smart is exactly 50-50 overall and a pathetic 23-31 in B12 play. And the WORST part is, heading into year FOUR, there is still no rhyme or reason with his program and what it's about.
He's made mistakes. They might cost him his job. If he departs, I like his chances of reestablishing himself in his next job.

He's made mistakes. They might cost him his job. If he departs, I like his chances of reestablishing himself in his next job.

As long as it's a lower level job either conference-wise or team-wise in a Power 5. Right now he's simply in over his head and just not sure he's cut out for this level at any school.

As long as it's a lower level job either conference-wise or team-wise in a Power 5. Right now he's simply in over his head and just not sure he's cut out for this level at any school.
agree to disagree for now. I think he'll leave here having earned some lessons about coaching in a major power five program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT