ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I still can't go higher than 7 wins...)

Perhaps but baring major injuries or just a total collapse as a program it's hard to fathom Texas not being any better this year. The talent level alone suggests that. 6-6 after last year with a better roster going into this year would be an epic failure and likely mean this team fell apart internally as well. Baylor is going to be a mess more than pick up where they left off and it's in Austin. Texas is due against OSU after the shaft job last year and they clearly played well with them. We already know Charlie can and has beaten OU.

It's not impossible I guess but I don't think many would expect it
Anything less than 8-4 will be a disappoint to me. Baylor should now definitely be a win with all of their issues. We're giving the Big12 way to much respect-it's not that tough if you're really a top 20 team. Really tough opener with ND. If we can win it, this season could be way better. I don't think we beat ND but they have issues now as well.

The Cal game determines the season, in my opinion. Been saying for over a month, and even asked Ketch about in his buy/sell, but he disagreed with me.

Lose to Cal, and we are staring 1-4 in the face, assuming a ND loss.

Beat Cal, and 8 wins is achievable, barring an unforeseen embarrassment like ISU last year.

If we are 1-4 after ou, it's over.

I'm pretty much with you here.

Based on the internal drama we saw last year leading up to OU, I don't see how Charlie could overcome the momentum of change in that scenario.

7-5 would be very disappointing, but it could happen quickly.

I agree with another poster who said Cal could be the linchpin game.

History is on our side in Stillwater, but I don't want to go into that game 1-2.
I think Texas fans are underestimating OSU in Stillwater.

I think you are comparing Texas' talent to an Alabama-like program and not to the teams on the schedule.

Well-said. A better question, is how many of the 12 opponents have better talent across the top 44 guys than we do. Sure, you can count Domer and OU. Who else beyond those 2 can you sincerely say have a stronger top 44 than Texas without a doubt?

Reactions: newbeginnings
Give me the eight wins. Perhaps you are right. The three major areas of concern are areas of concern you'd rather not have, if you could choose. QB, OL and DL.

Wins:
UTEP
Cal
KSU
Kansas
TT
WVU
ISU

Texas will win one or two from the following list:
ND
OU (beat last year)
OSU (should have beat last year)
Baylor (beat last year)
TCU

QB and OL are still a concern but everyone will agree are in better shape than last year. DL is only position that is weaker than last year.

Reactions: JinSOTEX
Re. the heat factor: I am always hopeful that it will have a positive effect. Still, the hottest I''ve ever been at a game was the UCLA fiasco. Heat might have been a factor in that game, but to the extent that it WAS, it certainly wasn't a positive for the home team.

I'm not sure the heat gives us much advantage anymore. Most of fall camp has been in cool, wet conditions.

I was looking at 8 wins when I thought Strong was going to run with Shane. Now that it appears (to me anyway) that Strong is going to go conservative and plans on giving Swoopes the bulk of the plays starting out, I am back down to 6 or 7.

106 yards on 28 carries (3.8 ypc) is nothing to write home about.

what other options was RU defending that afternoon? - i'm pretty sure they knew we were running the ball and were lined up to defend it so I'd say yes, it was a good afternoon of running the ball considering RU gave very little thought to our passing attack. Go look at the tape, all 11 RU defenders are within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage on most every snap.

I was looking at 8 wins when I thought Strong was going to run with Shane. Now that it appears (to me anyway) that Strong is going to go conservative and plans on giving Swoopes the bulk of the plays starting out, I am back down to 6 or 7.

Careful, you'll be labeled a hater or Herman fan boy for your realistic take.

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
Texas loses to Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, TCU and one of either Kansas State/Texas Tech.

Those are the ones on my list; but until CS shows he can win on the road, I'd put Cal in the mix, especially if they struggle against ND and can't overwhelm UTEP. Winning allows confidence to grow - losing or not performing to expectations sucks the positivity right out of you. Tough schedule out of the box. On the other hand...

Hook 'em!!!

Some of those Buy/Sell questions were brutal. You should put the handle of the person who asked the questions next time @Ketchum

BUY or SELL: The real reason for the 180 on the QB reports from various sources is because Strong is about to play it conservative instead of going with the QB that has actually been performing better?

(Sell) I buy the part about Strong going into this game on the conservative note, but I don’t believe either quarterback has played well enough to suggest Strong would be ignoring his best player in the name of conservativeness. I think if you’re quarterback play is mostly middling, you’d probably lean towards conservativeness as well.

I will grant you that it is easy to say while sitting in the comfort of my office chair, but given what I have seen from Swoopes, and what the reports were (and some still are) saying in regards to Shane being able to sustain drives better, I would take a shot with Shane and only use Swoopes in the 18 wheeler or in spurts if Shane gets rattled. I play to win, not "not to lose". Hell Charlie even said if they are tied he would go with the younger player with upside. I am not sure he really believes that in most circumstances. (Tim Cole, Jonathon Gray, Haines, and apparently Swoopes).

Thanks for answering though Ketch. I appreciate it.

Reactions: YodelingHorn
I still think that the success of this team this year will come down to our defense. If teams can line up and run it down our throat like they did at the end of last year and win the time of possession, then it will be a long season. 6-6. If our defense can stop the run, then I think we have a chance to do pretty well. We will know in 2 weeks if our defense was able to stop Notre Dame's offense.
The defensive line is a major concern.

Somewhat fair. I think we all know that Meyer didn't exactly walk into a desert of a roster. And Harbaugh also inherited a solid roster particularly amongst the upperclassmen. But yes, it's time to show marked improvement in '16 with the program setting the table for a big '17.
Mack won eight games in his last year. It's year three and seven or eight is a quality season given the context of the last two season.

Charlie has had to do a rebuild, but he's doing it on training wheels.

You've been overselling Okie Lite all offseason. I also don't believe we lose to TCU.
a. I think it's a completely different game this year in Stillwater, vs. last year. I don't trust a Charlie Strong team on the road with questions at quarterback.

b. Texas could lose by 30 to TCU and it would be a step of improvement. Sure as hell can't give them that game.

Reactions: TexCwby
The Cal game determines the season, in my opinion. Been saying for over a month, and even asked Ketch about in his buy/sell, but he disagreed with me.

Lose to Cal, and we are staring 1-4 in the face, assuming a ND loss.

Beat Cal, and 8 wins is achievable, barring an unforeseen embarrassment like ISU last year.

If we are 1-4 after ou, it's over.

I see ND, OU, TCU as likely losses. I see TT and OSU on the road as likely losses too, but with a better chance of winning. If you lose to Cal, and lose ND, OU, TCU, TT, and OSU, you are at 6-6. That's also with KState on the road and WVU at home that are not gimmees.

I only see three certain wins on the schedule starting the season: UTEP, KU, and ISU.

With some early injuries to our o-line, a freshman center (if healthy), young o-line in general, a freshman qb or shaky sr qb, I don't think we can assume the benefit of the doubt in any of the coin-flip games yet.
I've pointed to the Cal game as a potential swing game all year. When did I disagree with you?

Ketch - do you think the calculus changes for Strong if we go 7-5 and have a good defense but lose games 14-6 with sucky quarterback play?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT