ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I still can't go higher than 7 wins...)

a. I would bet there were moments in those performances where he flashed once or twice in a special way.

b. Warren has zero sample size outside of the Tech game. Tech literally has the worst run defense I've seen in a while.
Yep, and he performed better against swiss cheese than fournette did. Chris Warren flashed in the spring game and against Tech, which are really the only times he's seen more than a few carries. The Baylor game wasn't even fair given how Swoopes arm gave the defense zero concern.

If Chris Warren is given 20 carries with a QB who poses a threat to pass the, he will most certainly be averaging as many or more YPC than Foreman IMO.

Having those two guys on our team is a "GOOD" problem to have. Add that the two backups aren't slouches, you are looking at some serious potential rushing yards, if your QB can execute at an average level.

Reactions: LonghornsLegend
@Ketchum , have you seen the remake of Point Break? Its an all time classic and has way more heart than Good Morning Vietnam could muster!

Insert winky face here

It was given with anonymity.

Ketch, I'm not doubting at all that someone high on the food chain told you that. However, it should be kept in mind that not all UT officials or BMDs have equal influence in athletic decisions. I'd be real cautious in representing that anything you are told from what appears to be a high source reflects the thinking of the inner circle of BMDs.

Why? Because the inner circle has never revealed what they're thinking before, and they have nothing constructive to gain by revealing anything this sensitive to anyone at this point, particularly a guy with the largest Longhorn website. These guys are far too guarded and shrewd to let on what they're thinking, especially when doing so could fuel our competitors' recruiting pitches, or put the program under additional pressure.

You're giving a 5-7 team with line and quarterback issues a lot of unearned faith on the road.

There's zero reason to think that sweep both KSU and Tech.

But the OL and QB issues are better this year than last year. Also every other team in the conference also have problem areas. How is TCU's QB situation? How good is WVU, KSU and OU at QB? Texas' OL is unproven at center and RT but the other 3 spots are strong with Perkins, Williams and Vahe. I would also bet Texas has higher rated recruits playing on the OL and for depth than the majority of the BIG 12.

I get it you can always throw 5-7 and the team is unproven to support your prediction. 7-5 is certainly closer to Vegas odds than 8-4. However, unlike the previous 2 years Texas has the horses this year to compete and IMHO 8-4 or better is more likely than 7-5 or worse. I will be taking the over on the 6.5 win total Vegas has.

Yep, and he performed better against swiss cheese than fournette did. Chris Warren flashed in the spring game and against Tech, which are really the only times he's seen more than a few carries. The Baylor game wasn't even fair given how Swoopes arm gave the defense zero concern.

If Chris Warren is given 20 carries with a QB who poses a threat to pass the, he will most certainly be averaging as many or more YPC than Foreman IMO.

Having those two guys on our team is a "GOOD" problem to have. Add that the two backups aren't slouches, you are looking at some serious potential rushing yards, if your QB can execute at an average level.
He's a very good player for sure, but I don't know that he's the second best back on the team.

@Ketchum , have you seen the remake of Point Break? Its an all time classic and has way more heart than Good Morning Vietnam could muster!

Insert winky face here
Man, I was in a hotel room Saturday night and it was on HBO< so I started to watch it and 20 minutes in I was just dumbfounded by it all. Cool stunts, though.

Ketch, I'm not doubting at all that someone high on the food chain told you that. However, it should be kept in mind that not all UT officials or BMDs have equal influence in athletic decisions. I'd be real cautious in representing that anything you are told from what appears to be a high source reflects the thinking of the inner circle of BMDs.

Why? Because the inner circle has never revealed what they're thinking before, and they have nothing constructive to gain by revealing anything this sensitive to anyone at this point, particularly a guy with the largest Longhorn website. These guys are far too guarded and shrewd to let on what they're thinking, especially when doing so could fuel our competitors' recruiting pitches, or put the program under additional pressure.
Oh, I don't know that he revealed much. It wasn't even close to the most high security info given in the convo.

I have a lot of respect for this particular source and always assume there are multiple angles in play he's not speaking of.

It's funny, I tossed a wild theory his way a few months ago and he sort of confirmed it for me. Nothing that I've ever reported.

But the OL and QB issues are better this year than last year. Also every other team in the conference also have problem areas. How is TCU's QB situation? How good is WVU, KSU and OU at QB? Texas' OL is unproven at center and RT but the other 3 spots are strong with Perkins, Williams and Vahe. I would also bet Texas has higher rated recruits playing on the OL and for depth than the majority of the BIG 12.

I get it you can always throw 5-7 and the team is unproven to support your prediction. 7-5 is certainly closer to Vegas odds than 8-4. However, unlike the previous 2 years Texas has the horses this year to compete and IMHO 8-4 or better is more likely than 7-5 or worse. I will be taking the over on the 6.5 win total Vegas has.
a. I have reservations about going ga-ga for the OL. It hasn't been getting rave reviews and it's practicing against substandard defensive linemen IMO.

b. There's no real proof yet that the quarterback play is truly better. We're gonna need to see it first.

c. TCU's quarterback situation is pretty good.

d. West Virginia and OU are light years ahead of Texas at quarterback right now.

e. Williams, Vahe and Perkins have never been better than pretty good.

f. I thought the Vegas win line was at 7.5.

He's a very good player for sure, but I don't know that he's the second best back on the team.
What are you basing that statement on? Highlight films or practice reports? I'm president of the Kyle Porter fan club, however, I can't say if he is better until I see it with my own eyes against college players. Kirk Johnson is also a good player but he didn't do anything last year that screamed he is better than Warren.

Ketch,

Do you look at number prior to making ridiculous claims like "light years" ahead regarding WVU QB? Skyler Howards Big 12 numbers last year were the following: 12 TD's : 11 INT's.....Now go look up Tyrone Swoopes 2014 Conference numbers and tell me how that is light years....I did it for you, Swoopes had a 10:9 TD to INT ratio in conference play....good grief

What are you basing that statement on? Highlight films or practice reports? I'm president of the Kyle Porter fan club, however, I can't say if he is better until I see it with my own eyes against college players. Kirk Johnson is also a good player but he didn't do anything last year that screamed he is better than Warren.
If KIrk Johnson doesn't get hurt in the Tech game, it might have been him that went for 200+.

Ketch,

Do you look at number prior to making ridiculous claims like "light years" ahead regarding WVU QB? Skyler Howards Big 12 numbers last year were the following: 12 TD's : 11 INT's.....Now go look up Tyrone Swoopes 2014 Conference numbers and tell me how that is light years....I did it for you, Swoopes had a 10:9 TD to INT ratio in conference play....good grief
fair enough. I've read so much about the high expectations for Howard that I forgot how average he actually was last year.

Last edited:
We're projecting a lot of improvement in key areas to go better than 7-5. Most important, we need a QB that is worth a couple of wins on the schedule. Additionally, we're plugging in freshman in at least a few positions on the offense, including center, a very difficult position for anyone to play. Tap the brakes everyone.

Reactions: DanielSucks
We're projecting a lot of improvement in key areas to go better than 7-5. Most important, we need a QB that is worth a couple of wins on the schedule. Additionally, we're plugging in freshman in at least a few positions on the offense, including center, a very difficult position for anyone to play. Tap the brakes everyone.
ding ding.

There is no reason to tap the brakes. Hell, Charlie better not tap the brakes. He has to get at least 8 wins and I really think he needs 9 wins depending on how this plays out. There is no tomorrow for Charlie if this team doesn't perform.

I think this is the season when Charlie starts to get some luck and for heavens sake he hasn't gotten any up to this point. This team is going to be good, and I think they will surpass all these low expectations. The offensive changes are going to be huge and so you really can't think about last season and the 5 wins.

There is light years difference (as Ketch says) between Watson and Gilbert, just watch how much will change on that side of the ball. We will shock the nation and I'm predicting 10 wins. How is that for stepping out there...

There is no reason to tap the brakes. Hell, Charlie better not tap the brakes. He has to get at least 8 wins and I really think he needs 9 wins depending on how this plays out. There is no tomorrow for Charlie if this team doesn't perform.

I think this is the season when Charlie starts to get some luck and for heavens sake he hasn't gotten any up to this point. This team is going to be good, and I think they will surpass all these low expectations. The offensive changes are going to be huge and so you really can't think about last season and the 5 wins.

There is light years difference (as Ketch says) between Watson and Gilbert, just watch how much will change on that side of the ball. We will shock the nation and I'm predicting 10 wins. How is that for stepping out there...
If you're right this will be a fun season to watch the games.

a. I have reservations about going ga-ga for the OL. It hasn't been getting rave reviews and it's practicing against substandard defensive linemen IMO.

b. There's no real proof yet that the quarterback play is truly better. We're gonna need to see it first.

c. TCU's quarterback situation is pretty good.

d. West Virginia and OU are light years ahead of Texas at quarterback right now.

e. Williams, Vahe and Perkins have never been better than pretty good.

f. I thought the Vegas win line was at 7.5.

I thought the line opened at 6.5 maybe it moved up. I'm sorry Baker Mayfield is not light years better. He was a TT walk-on which only supports my argument that coaching and system make a huge difference. He sucked at TT so bad he got benched and transferred to OU as a former WALK-ON. If recruiting rankings matter how is Baker Mayfield "LIGHT YEARS" better than Texas' three 4 start QBs. I tell you how... system and coaching which is exactly what Texas has on staff now vs the past 2 years.

Opinion?

Ketch, how dare you give us real hope in taking down ND. Lol.
With respect to '17, sure looks good on paper. I'm tapping the breaks a tad though cuz I still have my doubts about Strong as a head coach. This season will be revealing in that regard.

I think Charlie would take eight if it was offered without so much as blinking.

I thought the line opened at 6.5 maybe it moved up. I'm sorry Baker Mayfield is not light years better. He was a TT walk-on which only supports my argument that coaching and system make a huge difference. He sucked at TT so bad he got benched and transferred to OU as a former WALK-ON. If recruiting rankings matter how is Baker Mayfield "LIGHT YEARS" better than Texas' three 4 start QBs. I tell you how... system and coaching which is exactly what Texas has on staff now vs the past 2 years.
He was a Heisman finalist a year ago. He's light years ahead in terms of actual on-field production. Period.

Ketch, how dare you give us real hope in taking down ND. Lol.
With respect to '17, sure looks good on paper. I'm tapping the breaks a tad though cuz I still have my doubts about Strong as a head coach. This season will be revealing in that regard.
Gotta settle this quarterback thing once and for all before we get to 2017.

Gotta settle this quarterback thing once and for all before we get to 2017.

Dave Campbell's site had a quick article on best/worst case scenario today.

Have us potentially going 1-4 to open the season.

Not some revelation or anything, but interesting to see what others are saying.

The Cal game will not be a cake-walk.

The Cal game will not be a cake-walk.

I'm glad we get a look at Davis Webb this Friday night.

He's a good QB and that offense torched Bedford last year, albeit with Goff.

Plus, it's the first big road trip.

Oh nobody has us winning this year, which is the reason you should jump on board for a good season. Anytime the masses say one way, go the other way. I love that no one is giving this team any love.

can't turn down Sunday night prime time with zero competition.
Actually, you can if your primary goal is to give your team every possible advantage win the game. The TV exposure is secondary to what a win will do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT