ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Ignore my narcissism for a moment...)

Gotta have a championship line to have a championship team idc who is playing QB. They can make a good QB look great or a great QB look just okay. Our pass protection wasn’t too bad last year but our run blocking needs improvement imo. I like some of our bodies (majors, Garth, Johnson, parr, anguilar) but we need more mauler types inside if we running inside zone and pure tackles (broken record topic I know). Most people fall in love with the hybrid flex TE but a legitimate blocker makes a significant difference in our offense too.
2009 Texas says hello!

We win more games. Recall that Mack stabilized the defense after the BYU game by firing Diaz and bringing in Robinson.

McCoy had the OU game. But other than that, the offense was pretty much DOA with his noodle arm. I believe the last two games he threw for more years to defenders than to our own receivers.

Ash had the tools and was getting better and better. I think Mack gets through at least the 2014 season if Ash stays healthy.
Texas nearly won the Big 12 title in 2013. I can't say Ash definitely tips the scales for the Longhorns to change history. He's an all-time maybe.

I will concede that Seavers had more charisma that Steve Austin.

I can't believe you never watched Ray Donovan and I forgot about him, but he definitely deserves mention as does Ghost on Power.
I've always wanted to watch Ray Donovan. This tips the scales for me to do so.

Reactions: OldBlood
Man, I'd totally forgotten how highly ranked nationally Mock was.

It blows my mind that aside from GG, we weren’t cherry picking elite QBs nationally. Damn shame.

@Ketchum I would argue that Steve Austin was a bigger badass that Colt Seavers. Lee Majors was older, slower and not as strong as Colt Seavers.
You are also showing your youth by not including James Arness at Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke, George Peppard as either Banacek or Hannibal Smith in A-Team, Mike Connors in Mannix, Dennis Weaver in McCloud among many others.
I would have to add in any one of either Harry Callahan, Philo Beddoe, or Josey Wales (nobody plays a badass better than Clint Eastwood)

Reactions: OldBlood
I feel like there is not enough relief in this thread for being out of QB purgatory

Some of those qb's were so overrated it isn't funny. Case McCoy the #24 qb in the country, Connor Wood #3, Heard #6 and others too were way overrated.

@Ketchum two things:

you can’t claim victory on Card yet considering he’s never played a down of college football. I fully expect you to be right but you can’t call it yet.

Don’t you think if Ewers can throw it 80 he’s capable of throwing it 20 on a rope? Kinda seems like you’re moving the goalposts a bit. I’d argue the fact that he doesn’t try to throw an 80 yard fastball on a 20 yard route shows maturity beyond his years. It’s a concept Simms never seemed to grasp.
It’s probably not an accurate memory but... I seem to remember Simms throwing it to an underneath linebacker at least once a game. Right or wrong that’s how I remember him at Texas.

True, but quarterbacks matter more than OLs and DLs. It's the most important position in team sports at the college level.
But if you put a below-average qb behind a great oline you probably win more than a great qb behind a below-average oline. The great qb gets hurt behind the bad line. When we had Simms, Vince and the first few years with Colt our oline talent was stellar. The last year Colt played his ass off behind an average to below-average oline. Look how he got ragdolled in the big12 championship against Nebraska. I have never heard it mentioned, but I believe the injury in the Alabama game was probably something that was already damaged or lingering from the beating he took in the Nebraska game. Texas NEEDS coach Hand to get the most out of the talent he has on the roster and develop Angilau, Hookfin, Tyler Johnson, and all the high ranking freshman we have coming in. Get these guys drafted so we can recruit the top linemen in the state every year so that we can start to put NFL caliber offensive lines on the field.

It is a list of TV badasses. If not, Harry Callahan would certainly belong.
Gotcha, I missed that. In that case, I would go with Vic Mackey from The Shield. I know dirty cops are taboo right now, but anyone who presses a child rapists' face into an electric griddle like a grilled cheese sandwich is a badass by any definition.

Reactions: Universal Horn
Whatabout someone from E company
Negan was crazy strong as was reedus’s Daryl character
And BA Barrackas from the A team
Amos from the expanse is certifiable
NoHo Hank and Barry are pretty strong
Optimus Prime was the OG badass, with HeMan
Dexter was a force until his writers made him fall in love with his sister
Pesky Blinders Thomas?
Ragnar from Vikings

Ewers is coming here mainly because of Yurcich.

I love the hiring of Yurcich, and know they have a great relationship, but he's said numerous times the last few days playing for Texas has been a lifelong dream. His pics as a kid remind me of Sam, who was coming no matter who the coach was.

I think he would have come with Ash still here, though there's likely more excitement with Yurcich...at least there should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT