ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Imagine if Hudson Card had been ranked correctly...)

Texas has had very few of them in the last 20 years, so I really don't know what you're talking about.
We've had Chris Simms, VY and Garrett Gilbert in the last 20 or so years who were all very high 5 star ranked QB's. By my reckoning we've hit at a 33% rate. You keep throwing out how Card is really a 5 star. I'm just saying even if he is I'm not sure in the grand scheme of things how big a deal that really is.

I do think Card will end up being a good QB here. I'm just not sure if he's ready yet or not.

It seems to me like if he were really everything you are touting him to be this wouldn't be much of a QB contest, but it's not like he's just taking the job and running off with it yet.

It doesn't help he's another QB from one of the 2 Austin area schools that cause unrealistic expectations for all their players from so may OB subscribers either.

It's not that I don't see talent, but I don't see what you see. Sorry, I just don't. I'm not sure if he were up against Ewers, Weigman and Klubnik he would fare any better comparison wise. I actually think Card and Klubnik are very similar in so many ways and find it very interesting that you have both of them ranked much igher than most other evaluators. Just an observation.

Reactions: Sneaky Russians
What would be the value of Ketch writing opinion pieces on a subject nobody cares about?
It's Memorial Day Weekend and I thought I wrote a column that no one on earth has written about the most important topic in the entire 2021 season.

🤷‍♂️

We've had Chris Simms, VY and Garrett Gilbert in the last 20 or so years who were all very high 5 star ranked QB's. By my reckoning we've hit at a 33% rate. You keep throwing out how Card is really a 5 star. I'm just saying even if he is I'm not sure in the grand scheme of things how big a deal that really is.

a. You think Simms was a miss?

b. Texas has signed one (not including Card) in the last 19 classes.

It seems to me like if he were really everything you are touting him to be this wouldn't be much of a QB contest, but it's not like he's just taking the job and running off with it yet.

depends on who you ask, I suppose. The people with no need to care about both staying are telling you it's one-sided.

Some of Sark's actions in the spring game smelled of trying to take definitive action to keep the perception of close as true as possible.

It's not that I don't see talent, but I don't see what you see. Sorry, I just don't. I'm not sure if he were up against Ewers, Weigman and Klubnik he would fare any better comparison wise. I actually think Card and Klubnik are very similar in so many ways and find it very interesting that you have both of them ranked much igher than most other evaluators. Just an observation.

No offense, but I'm not worried about you not being able to see what I see.

My career of rating elite quarterbacks quarterbacks.

5 stars

1998 - Chip Ambres (Texas A&M)
2002 - Vince Young (Texas)
2002 - Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M)
2004 - Rhett Bomar (Oklahoma)
2006 - Matt Stafford (Georgia)
2007 - Ryan Mallett (Arkansas)
2009 - Garrett Gilbert (Texas)
2009 - Russell Shepard (LSU)

Ambres never made it to A&M because of pro baseball. McNeal was listed as an athlete by Rivals, but I rated him as a quarterback.

If we take Ambres of out of the equation I'm 7 for 7 all-time on the 5-star quarterbacks I've rated being drafted by NFL teams.

High 4

1997 - Drew Brees (Purdue)
2000 - Chance Mock (Texas)
2004 - Stephen McGee (Texas A&M)
2004 - Robbie Reid (Oklahoma State)
2006 - Jevan Snead (Texas)
2009 - Tyrik Rollion
2014 - Jerrod Heard (Texas)
2015 - Kyler Murray (Texas A&M)
2017 - Sam Ehlinger (Texas)

Overall, 11 of the 16 (68.8%) highest-rated quarterbacks I've graded over the course of the last two decades worth of recruiting have been drafted by NFL teams.

I know what my track record on this stuff is. My opinions on the matter can be quantified. As recent as the last completed recruiting class (2017), I was the only person to correctly name Ehlinger as the best quarterback in the state and a high four star prospect, a shot that I called before he even had a single scholarship offer.

Not from the perspective of how overzealous the local posters are about the local talent it's not. That part wasn't about you.

I just don't think this is nearly the problem you believe it is.

1. Card doesn't have an active group of Austin folks pumping up his ability.

2. I know who the Austin pro-Ehlinger people are and I think they've mostly been fair about his career.

3. Who would even be the other players you are remarking about with regards to local talent?

5 stars

Ambres never made it to A&M because of pro baseball. McNeal was listed as an athlete by Rivals, but I rated him as a quarterback.

If we take Ambres of out of the equation I'm 7 for 7 all-time on the 5-star quarterbacks I've rated being drafted by NFL teams.

High 4

2009 - Tyrik Rollion

Overall, 11 of the 16 (68.8%) highest-rated quarterbacks I've graded over the course of the last two decades worth of recruiting have been drafted by NFL teams.

I know what my track record on this stuff is. My opinions on the matter can be quantified. As recent as the last completed recruiting class (2017), I was the only person to correctly name Ehlinger as the best quarterback in the state and a high four star prospect, a shot that I called before he even had a single scholarship offer.
You were all over Garrett Gilbert too as I remember. You thought he was going to be one of the all time greats. Yes, you do have quantifiable history.

Am I reading this correctly btw? Are you touting all those QB's as successes? Ambres, Bomar, Mallett, Gilbert, Russell Shepard? In my world they were all college football failures.

By my definition of success 3 of those guys were proven successes. If you're just going to use made it to the NFL that's too easy. How many of those QB's would you really want to go back and recruit again and make your focus of the program the next 4 years? That should be the criteria.

Then you both go back into the prior century and dip down into the high 4 stars trying to pad your stats (Drew Brees!).

Of that second group, after totally discounting Brees, I'll give you Murray, Ehlinger, and maybe McGee. I would have no interest in focusing my recruiting efforts on any of the others. That being said I'd put your overall numbers at 5 of 15 of those guys that I would legitimately want to recruit knowing what I know now. I didn't count the players from the 20th century.

Giving yourself credit for QB's that turn into NFL backups is ludicrous.

I could see both Card and Thompson ending up as NFL backups. That has no meaning for me. Whether Sam Ehlinger got drafted or not would not have changed my opinion of him either. It's just not a relevant way of determining recruiting success because it doesn't speak to how they played in college so much as it does to what tangible physical abilities they have. We all know the NFL drafts QB based on size and arm strength as much as anything unless a player has unique abilities.

Reactions: BurntOrangeTux
I just don't think this is nearly the problem you believe it is.

1. Card doesn't have an active group of Austin folks pumping up his ability.

2. I know who the Austin pro-Ehlinger people are and I think they've mostly been fair about his career.

3. Who would even be the other players you are remarking about with regards to local talent?
Card certainly does have a local group who actively advocate for him.

depends on who you ask, I suppose. The people with no need to care about both staying are telling you it's one-sided.

Some of Sark's actions in the spring game smelled of trying to take definitive action to keep the perception of close as true as possible.
Why would he need that perception? Casey will transfer regardless if he is not named starter.

For the same reason, Card was pulled directly after his Sportscenter-level best moment and Thompson threw the ball 45 times.
Ketch, let me make sure I understand your position. You are on this day claiming your sources are telling you that everyone inside the program knows Card is better than Thompson including Thompson, Sark & Milwee & that Card is the real team leader & will be QB1 & named such by game 1? Because other than atleast 2 of those 3, anyone else you claiming as a valid source is just banter to support your overly & obviously biased view on the matter. Not knocking Card or anything like that but the way you discretely always downing Thompson’s accomplishments & skill sets to over blow a kid that hasn’t come close to proving the likes or equal in the burnt Orange to me seems underlying a demonstration of what always happens with minority Qb’s vs. non minority Qb’s. Just chill a little & let Card opportunities & performance validate himself over your mouth & pen! 🤔

Reactions: magnahorn
You were all over Garrett Gilbert too as I remember. You thought he was going to be one of the all time greats. Yes, you do have quantifiable history.

Am I reading this correctly btw? Are you touting all those QB's as successes? Ambres, Bomar, Mallett, Gilbert, Russell Shepard? In my world they were all college football failures.

By my definition of success 3 of those guys were proven successes. If you're just going to use made it to the NFL that's too easy. How many of those QB's would you really want to go back and recruit again and make your focus of the program the next 4 years? That should be the criteria.

Then you both go back into the prior century and dip down into the high 4 stars trying to pad your stats (Drew Brees!).

Of that second group, after totally discounting Brees, I'll give you Murray, Ehlinger, and maybe McGee. I would have no interest in focusing my recruiting efforts on any of the others. That being said I'd put your overall numbers at 5 of 15 of those guys that I would legitimately want to recruit knowing what I know now. I didn't count the players from the 20th century.

Giving yourself credit for QB's that turn into NFL backups is ludicrous.

I could see both Card and Thompson ending up as NFL backups. That has no meaning for me. Whether Sam Ehlinger got drafted or not would not have changed my opinion of him either. It's just not a relevant way of determining recruiting success because it doesn't speak to how they played in college so much as it does to what tangible physical abilities they have. We all know the NFL drafts QB based on size and arm strength as much as anything unless a player has unique abilities.

k.

Ketch, let me make sure I understand your position. You are on this day claiming your sources are telling you that everyone inside the program knows Card is better than Thompson including Thompson, Sark & Milwee & that Card is the real team leader & will be QB1 & named such by game 1? Because other than atleast 2 of those 3, anyone else you claiming as a valid source is just banter to support your overly & obviously biased view on the matter. Not knocking Card or anything like that but the way you discretely always downing Thompson’s accomplishments & skill sets to over blow a kid that hasn’t come close to proving the likes or equal in the burnt Orange to me seems underlying a demonstration of what always happens with minority Qb’s vs. non minority Qb’s. Just chill a little & let Card opportunities & performance validate himself over your mouth & pen! 🤔
“I love the guy. Love his accuracy. Hudson can really drive the football. His footwork and ability to throw from any platform. He’s a very intelligent kid. I think Aaron Rodgers is the most talented quarterback ever in terms of skill set. This kid reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers in how he can move within the pocket and throw from different arm angles and make off-platform throws, and he’s got really good agility. He’s like a 4.5 (40) guy. I’m not bullshitting you. He’s really that talented.”

"Hudson is just a special player. There's really no other way to put it. He came out of the womb spinning the football. I know that's not the only thing he can do. Obviously, played receiver as a sophomore and got scholarship offers as an athlete at receiver. That's a testament to his athletic ability as well. You watch Hudson throw the ball and you're like, man. There were often times during our practice I was watching him throw like, gosh darn it, why can't I do that? Why can't I spin the way that he can? "

For sure too few people around these parts fail to understand what sort of talent Scaife was. As great as they think Thomas was, he wasn’t 75% of what a healthy Scaife. There’s a reason Scaife still enjoyed a decent NFL career while Thomas didn’t.

Reactions: BurntOrangeTux
I don’t really have an issue using NFL draft status as PART of a body of work for grading of rankings, but it’s intellectually dishonest to acknowledge that Bomar, Gilbert Grape and Shep were failures in college relative to their rankings out of HS.

For sure too few people around these parts fail to understand what sort of talent Scaife was. As great as they think Thomas was, he wasn’t 75% of what a healthy Scaife. There’s a reason Scaife still enjoyed a decent NFL career while Thomas didn’t.
Bingo.

He was special, man.

I don’t really have an issue using NFL draft status as PART of a body of work for grading of rankings, but it’s intellectually dishonest to acknowledge that Bomar, Gilbert Grape and Shep were failures in college relative to their rankings out of HS.
The subjectiveness of those conversations is exactly why I use a non-subjective metric of analysis.

5 stars

High 4

2009 - Tyrik Rollion

I hear what you were saying, but being drafted is different from having a successful college career. The list above proves that.

different from having a successful college career.

You are describing quite a subjective thing without realizing it.

For instance, one per says Gilbert didn't have a successful career and another says he passed for nearly 10,000 yards, while rushing for more than 1,000, while starting more than 40 career games.

Ketch, I enjoy your writings, but wish you would make better usage of your great vocabulary than to use the slang-curse words. They are negative reflections on your writings and are offensive to this reader. It is like when I go to a PG movie and have to walk out during the action due to the offensive language. I appreciate you for your talent and would have an even greater appreciation when you drop the four letter words. You vocabulary is much better than that.

Agree completely with your second statement. Watching the spring game it was obvious it was designed for Thompson to be showcased.

Thompson had all the weapons, more pass attempts, better o-line, and literally every time Card got into a rhythm they pulled him on the next series. The moment this really hit home was in Sark’s pc they asked him about Card’s td throw and he immediately shifted the conversation to CT.

why didn't Simms and VY win the job in the first 15 months on campus?
Awesome response. This is why I come back here time and time again. You might be a pain in the a$$. But, this the kind of pain I do like. :)

Reactions: Hookempop
“I love the guy. Love his accuracy. Hudson can really drive the football. His footwork and ability to throw from any platform. He’s a very intelligent kid. I think Aaron Rodgers is the most talented quarterback ever in terms of skill set. This kid reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers in how he can move within the pocket and throw from different arm angles and make off-platform throws, and he’s got really good agility. He’s like a 4.5 (40) guy. I’m not bullshitting you. He’s really that talented.”

"Hudson is just a special player. There's really no other way to put it. He came out of the womb spinning the football. I know that's not the only thing he can do. Obviously, played receiver as a sophomore and got scholarship offers as an athlete at receiver. That's a testament to his athletic ability as well. You watch Hudson throw the ball and you're like, man. There were often times during our practice I was watching him throw like, gosh darn it, why can't I do that? Why can't I spin the way that he can? "
All from a few people on a staff that got fired & by all accounts didn’t put the program in the best position to be successful. So I dang sure wouldn’t use that as my main point of rebuttal. & I could throw out a few quotes from that same previous staff that stated Thompson out performed Sam for a spring but never saw you blowing up The internet with that. I respect you as a guy who has been around doing the message board thing but your slip is showing on this one for sure. & by the way, you do realize that there are some that say Hudson was only shown a lot of grace with his ranking due to the history of his school Qb legacy & not through his actual on field performance & lack of longevity at playing Qb in HS. You do know there are some Texas high school coaches who played against him that think very opposite of what you do. But everyone has an opinion & entitled to one.

Ketch, it’s obvious you have been on Cards jock since he played HS in your backyard & wanted him to be a 5 star so it’s no wonder you are at times go a tad bit unprofessionally biased with your remarks, comments & post spewing your unwarranted praise for a kid who had only thrown 1 Td in a controlled environment spring game wearing a black shirt!!! Now you claiming the team doesn’t think Thompson is the leader & he isn’t better than Card!! Ok, I’m sure you will claim you have sources but so do others that say the opposite the difference is they don’t have a board to taint or slant the views. Even if Thompson is named the starter, you will have a reason other than the real one.

I’ve seen Thompson perform in a live game & very well I might add. People can discredit that all they want but perhaps we have 2 very good Qb & that’s the way it should be at UT! One plays & the other waits his turn. Other championship programs have that luxury, why can’t we?
A live game!! Singular, right. I saw Jerrold Heard play in a live game once and in that game he was the best QB in UT history. That too was a singular game. Colorado sucks, let it play out. Oh, how bout that pick six in the spring game, you didn’t bring that up. In my mind, UT will be better by conference play if Card has three games to get used to the speed as opposed to Casey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT