Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Imagine if Hudson Card had been ranked correctly...)

sj53150

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2005
Spring game. Yes I know he had the black jersey on. But there were times he was getting chased down and the whistle had to be blown. Yes, his OL sucked. Still being a former WR, I expected him to be a tad bit faster. Maybe I’ll be surprised in the regular season.

Reactions: seantran6

86LawHorn

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2020
The leaders of championship teams are the best players. Thompson isn;'t better than Card.

That's the rub. Everyone on the team knows it.
This is pretty much of a shit stirrer comment, which really shouldnt be happening from the owner of a fan site.

If everyone on the team knows it, than Thompson knows it, as well as all the coaches. So basically you are saying that Sark is running a farce of a QB competition, the team knows it but is going along with it because of what reason? To keep Thompson hooked up to the team, even though he knows he is going to get benched soon?

I think I will takes Sarks words and actions over click bait like this thread. I will also takes Sarks view on a QB over OPs. Somehow I have to think that if Card was Trevor Lawrence or the like, his talent level with a year and a half of experience would have captivated Sark by now, and would have been obvious at the spring game.

I like both QBs. I hope Thompson is the gamer he showed in the bowl game, ala James Street. I hope Card is a future pro. I expect Sark will bet his career with the right choice.

OkayCoolFU

Gold Member
May 15, 2019
Austin, TX
@Ketch, seems like you've just about beaten you feelings and impressions of Hudson Card into the ground by now. Maybe it's time to write about something different, especially considering he hasn't yet and legitimately might not this season earn the starting job.

FWIW, I see talent in Card but I just don't see him as the greatest QB prospect since VY. Hell, YV aside, we haven't even had very good luck with the super-high rated QB's anyway.
Clicks and credit card swipes.

We will read another column in 6 months on why Casey Thompson was the greatest.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Spring game. Yes I know he had the black jersey on. But there were times he was getting chased down and the whistle had to be blown.

I'm having a hard time understanding your expectations for him. Can you explain?

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
This is pretty much of a shit stirrer comment, which really shouldnt be happening from the owner of a fan site.

No, it's an acknowledgement of what people believe behind the scenes. I like Thompson a lot. My comments aren't really about him.

Reactions: seantran6

Miles Behynue

Gold Member
May 15, 2015
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
And cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains, he's still remains
Are you aware of the missing verse?

Reactions: MikeCorleone

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

8c570c265b7b481ad773e8f93f585544.gif

sj53150

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2005
I'm having a hard time understanding your expectations for him. Can you explain?
I thought he was a little quicker / faster than what I thought from reading about him in HS and last year.

texsuede

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2008

If everyone on the team knows it, than Thompson knows it, as well as all the coaches. So basically you are saying that Sark is running a farce of a QB competition, the team knows it but is going along with it because of what reason? To keep Thompson hooked up to the team, even though he knows he is going to get benched soon?

I think I will takes Sarks words and actions over click bait like this thread. I will also takes Sarks view on a QB over OPs. Somehow I have to think that if Card was Trevor Lawrence or the like, his talent level with a year and a half of experience would have captivated Sark by now, and would have been obvious at the spring game.

I like both QBs. I hope Thompson is the gamer he showed in the bowl game, ala James Street. I hope Card is a future pro. I expect Sark will bet his career with the right choice.
Not sure you understand what clickbait is. If ketch had tweeted out a link to an article with a headline annointing card in an attempt to generate subscriptions then you would be correct. However, him posting his opinion in a column to members is what we pay for.

Not sure why people get worked up over someone giving their opinion. We all have our thoughts and opinions. Ultimately the coaches will decide

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

Three FYIs

a. Clicks don't really matter in the premium site world

b. In reality, every thing article on the Internet is clickbait. Every headline is literally designed to get people to click. Every post on this site by every poster is clickbait. There's a reason why each subject isn't titled "Post No. 126,923"

c. You literally can't name a single example of me ever doing the thing you suggest I will do.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Not sure you understand what clickbait is. If ketch had tweeted out a link to an article with a headline annointing card in an attempt to generate subscriptions then you would be correct. However, him posting his opinion in a column to members is what we pay for.

Not sure why people get worked up over someone giving their opinion. We all have our thoughts and opinions. Ultimately the coaches will decide
Bingo was his name-o.

Cwall93

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2019
Huge fan of Card but I’m still wondering why he didn’t get work with the first team during spring game. @Ketchum

SparkHorn

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2017
@Ketchum

we’ll see when freshman report and weight is updated. I’m seeing Sanders as 6’4 210. That’s light for the TE position. Now I assume he won’t be in line blocking the DE but where do u see him on offense if that weight is the same?

Sanders is 6-foot-3, 235-pounds.

Alabama TE Jahleel Billingsley is 6-foot-4, 230-pounds.

Billingsley was the most productive Bama TE last season. He played the flex TE when they went 12-personnel.

Reactions: Ketchum

Baguette

American by birth, Texan by the Grace of God.
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2002
American by birth, Texan by the Grace of God.
Hey Ketch, you initially got my attention about Card's talents when you, then Sam, no less, first waxed rhapsodic about him months ago. Then I saw him spin the ball in the Spring game. Wow! He was throwing lasers & darts on a rope. And now this latest giddy appraisal from you. I'm sold! I'm stoked! I'm pumped! Let the damn season begin! He da man!

Reactions: Ketchum

rynetx08

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2014
Frisco, TX
Don't ever back down on the Card love, he is that special. Can't even imagine how bad Sark will damage this program and his future job security if he goes with Casey and Card transfers. I'd keep Casey involved with some packages, but QB's with Card's talent are unicorns. You don't monkey around with that trying not to hurt feeling. Card starts.

Reactions: Baguette

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Hey Ketch, you initially got my attention about Card's talents when you, then Sam, no less, first waxed rhapsodic about him months ago. Then I saw him spin the ball in the Spring game. Wow! He was throwing lasers & darts on a rope. And now this latest giddy appraisal from you. I'm sold! I'm stoked! I'm pumped! Let the damn season begin! He da man!
I was just trying to give everyone a new way of thinking about all of this.

cagrafft

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2007
My gut still tells me Gunner Helm is the TE that breakouts. He reminds me so much of a young George Kittle.

T-Sipper 1972

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2010
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
And cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains, he's still remains
My favorite S&G song, and one of my all-time favorites. Mrs. T-Sipper 1972

Reactions: MikeCorleone

Hbacker

Avoid the mob. Think and do for yourself.
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
I remember you posting that you chose the name “the-university.com” for your new site as a stick in the eye to aggy.

The original ACES.

magnahorn

never wrong; sometimes misreinterpreted.
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2011
Cypress, TX
Texas has had very few of them in the last 20 years, so I really don't know what you're talking about.
We've had Chris Simms, VY and Garrett Gilbert in the last 20 or so years who were all very high 5 star ranked QB's. By my reckoning we've hit at a 33% rate. You keep throwing out how Card is really a 5 star. I'm just saying even if he is I'm not sure in the grand scheme of things how big a deal that really is.

I do think Card will end up being a good QB here. I'm just not sure if he's ready yet or not.

It seems to me like if he were really everything you are touting him to be this wouldn't be much of a QB contest, but it's not like he's just taking the job and running off with it yet.

It doesn't help he's another QB from one of the 2 Austin area schools that cause unrealistic expectations for all their players from so may OB subscribers either.

It's not that I don't see talent, but I don't see what you see. Sorry, I just don't. I'm not sure if he were up against Ewers, Weigman and Klubnik he would fare any better comparison wise. I actually think Card and Klubnik are very similar in so many ways and find it very interesting that you have both of them ranked much igher than most other evaluators. Just an observation.

Reactions: Sneaky Russians

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
What would be the value of Ketch writing opinion pieces on a subject nobody cares about?
It's Memorial Day Weekend and I thought I wrote a column that no one on earth has written about the most important topic in the entire 2021 season.

🤷‍♂️

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
We've had Chris Simms, VY and Garrett Gilbert in the last 20 or so years who were all very high 5 star ranked QB's. By my reckoning we've hit at a 33% rate. You keep throwing out how Card is really a 5 star. I'm just saying even if he is I'm not sure in the grand scheme of things how big a deal that really is.

a. You think Simms was a miss?

b. Texas has signed one (not including Card) in the last 19 classes.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
It seems to me like if he were really everything you are touting him to be this wouldn't be much of a QB contest, but it's not like he's just taking the job and running off with it yet.

depends on who you ask, I suppose. The people with no need to care about both staying are telling you it's one-sided.

Some of Sark's actions in the spring game smelled of trying to take definitive action to keep the perception of close as true as possible.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
It's not that I don't see talent, but I don't see what you see. Sorry, I just don't. I'm not sure if he were up against Ewers, Weigman and Klubnik he would fare any better comparison wise. I actually think Card and Klubnik are very similar in so many ways and find it very interesting that you have both of them ranked much igher than most other evaluators. Just an observation.

No offense, but I'm not worried about you not being able to see what I see.

My career of rating elite quarterbacks quarterbacks.

5 stars

1998 - Chip Ambres (Texas A&M)
2002 - Vince Young (Texas)
2002 - Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M)
2004 - Rhett Bomar (Oklahoma)
2006 - Matt Stafford (Georgia)
2007 - Ryan Mallett (Arkansas)
2009 - Garrett Gilbert (Texas)
2009 - Russell Shepard (LSU)

Ambres never made it to A&M because of pro baseball. McNeal was listed as an athlete by Rivals, but I rated him as a quarterback.

If we take Ambres of out of the equation I'm 7 for 7 all-time on the 5-star quarterbacks I've rated being drafted by NFL teams.

High 4

1997 - Drew Brees (Purdue)
2000 - Chance Mock (Texas)
2004 - Stephen McGee (Texas A&M)
2004 - Robbie Reid (Oklahoma State)
2006 - Jevan Snead (Texas)
2009 - Tyrik Rollion
2014 - Jerrod Heard (Texas)
2015 - Kyler Murray (Texas A&M)
2017 - Sam Ehlinger (Texas)

Overall, 11 of the 16 (68.8%) highest-rated quarterbacks I've graded over the course of the last two decades worth of recruiting have been drafted by NFL teams.

I know what my track record on this stuff is. My opinions on the matter can be quantified. As recent as the last completed recruiting class (2017), I was the only person to correctly name Ehlinger as the best quarterback in the state and a high four star prospect, a shot that I called before he even had a single scholarship offer.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Not from the perspective of how overzealous the local posters are about the local talent it's not. That part wasn't about you.

I just don't think this is nearly the problem you believe it is.

1. Card doesn't have an active group of Austin folks pumping up his ability.

2. I know who the Austin pro-Ehlinger people are and I think they've mostly been fair about his career.

3. Who would even be the other players you are remarking about with regards to local talent?