Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (It's a put up or shut up NIL world)

It cannot be a fun job constantly having to ask the bigger donors for more $$.

You know what would really help as far getting donations?

Win some freaking football games this fall! TX goes 10-2 and wins the Big 12 championship and the $$ will be flowing in. They won't have to ask for it.
amen

I picture Geoff eating crow like Ron Burgundy eating cat poop.
Snl Blank Stare GIF by Saturday Night Live

Per Wikipedia:

"Orbison was born on April 23, 1936, in Vernon, Texas.[1] He was the second of three sons born to Orbie Lee Orbison (1913–1984) and Nadine Vesta Shults (1914–1992). According to The Authorized Roy Orbison, the family moved to Fort Worth in 1942 to find work in the aircraft factories.[2] He attended Denver Avenue Elementary School[2] there until a polio scare prompted the family to return to Vernon."
I should have stated I could be wrong instead of I believe. The sign is there along with the museum that’s never open.

Reactions: Ketchum
I’m confused on the NIL deal. I thought the schools could directly give money to the athletes as long as it wasn’t a “pay to play” arrangement.

I spoke with a billionaire 60-something who went to UT and is a sports fan a couple months ago, and he was just learning about NIL and had clearly not been pitched/pushed by the people at the school. That was shocking to me.

- What if Texas Tech backs up the NIL Brink's truck for Micah?
- 9-3 would be the second-best record since 2012
- I can't go a day without hearing LeBron critics on TV, Twitter, or social media chat groups talk about what he didn't accomplish. Everyone else gets a pass.
- Whittington getting drafted would be a fantastic accomplishment
- Austin FC is bad. At least I can't be accused of being a bandwagon fan.

Last edited:
One would think there might value for Mullet Ewers cards in the future if he takes off. Those long locks would surely be golden in the card market. There will be a whole segment of mullet ewers card floating around

- What if Texas Tech backs up the NIL Brink's truck for Micah?
- 9-3 would be the second-best record in 2012
- I can't go a day without hearing LeBron critics on TV, Twitter, or social media chat groups talk about what he didn't accomplish. Everyone else gets a pass.
- Whittington getting drafted would be a fantastic accomplishment
- Austin FC is bad. At least I can't be accused of being a bandwagon fan.
a. They are.
b. 9-3 is a failure n year 3
c. LeBron moves the needle.
d. Last couple of rounds.
e. amen

One would think there might value for Mullet Ewers cards in the future if he takes off. Those long locks would surely be golden in the card market. There will be a whole segment of mullet ewers card floating around
Get a lock of his hair graded! ;)

(Sell) Yes, on Xavier Worthy, Ja'Tavion Sanders and Kelvin Banks as first-team players. Quinn Ewers is very possible.

This would be a buy for me because the question didn’t specify first team big 12. I think Christian Jones AD Mitchell, Jordan Whittington and a Guards will have chance on cracking the 2nd team and get us over the 4.5 hook

The joke is title ix. No one gives a shit about women's sports.
Well LSU fans do about womens basketball as that $$ is flowing in for their NIL right now. :) They have built a power team for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus McCrea
(Sell) Yes, on Xavier Worthy, Ja'Tavion Sanders and Kelvin Banks as first-team players. Quinn Ewers is very possible.

This would be a buy for me because the question didn’t specify first team big 12. I think Christian Jones AD Mitchell, Jordan Whittington and a Guards will have chance on cracking the 2nd team and get us over the 4.5 hook
I changed the question to first team. I thought it was a little too vague as written.

Reactions: ARD438
a. They are.
b. 9-3 is a failure n year 3
c. LeBron moves the needle.
d. Last couple of rounds.
e. amen
I don't think TX will outspend Tech for Hudson it will depend on other factors in the end. ( QB play and conference) That's what it will come down to.

What is the amount we are talking about for him in the end? Any guesses?

No excuses for 8-4 or 9-3 for TX this year. Conference is down and the road game at Bama is the only one they should an underdog.

Wonder what Whittington will run in the 40 right now? i bet on everything else he will test pretty darn good.

I don't think TX will outspend Tech for Hudson it will depend on other factors in the end. ( QB play and conference) That's what it will come down to.

What is the amount we are talking about for him in the end? Any guesses?

No excuses for 8-4 or 9-3 for TX this year. Conference is down and the road game at Bama is the only one they should an underdog.

Wonder what Whittington will run in the 40 right now? i bet on everything else he will test pretty darn good.
I was told tech will be able to match or surpass any number. They are very motivated.

The Lakers and LeBron are the most talked about team on OB. Literally no one gets more clicks. The Sixers are hot because James Harden flamed out again.
Yup. Even though Philly has been more successful, they are basically the little brothers of all NY based sports teams.

@Ketchum perhaps I have you to thank for it, but last night I sold two Ewers leaf PSA 10 autos for $250 and $300. Maybe it was East Mall that bought them?

I also last year shortly after the season sold a 1/1 Ewers non-auto PSA 10 for a little over $300. Not as high as I thought when I first bought these cards, but big profits regardless.

Just seemed relevant considering your column

Reactions: Horn19
@Ketchum perhaps I have you to thank for it, but last night I sold two Ewers leaf PSA 10 autos for $250 and $300. Maybe it was East Mall that bought them?

I also last year shortly after the season sold a 1/1 Ewers non-auto PSA 10 for a little over $300. Not as high as I thought when I first bought these cards, but big profits regardless.

Just seemed relevant considering your column
James Corden Hello GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

How much did the girlfriend relationships play in the Matt Stafford and Billy Bowman recruitments, if at all?

@Ketchum Each UT season ticket comes with a large required donation to the Longhorn Foundation. Texas should build it in the system to allow purchasers to optionally donate some of that to the TOF. It’s a sustainable solution to getting annual smaller donations from the middle class.

Reactions: AgaveHorn
@Ketchum Each UT season ticket comes with a large required donation to the Longhorn Foundation. Texas should build it in the system to allow purchasers to optionally donate some of that to the TOF. It’s a sustainable solution to getting annual smaller donations from the middle class.
It's not allowed to do so. The fundraising has to be third party.

• Sad
Reactions: qwanseeker
Someone will have to educate me as to how giving NIL money to athletes promotes “charitable” work. Does that mean they do less charitable work without the NIL money? That then seems to mean they will do more charitable work if they are getting paid to do it which sort of makes it not charitable. Please help me understand what I am missing.

Reactions: DrewH14