ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Legends were made on Sunday...)

Thought massive was a bit harsh as well my God year 1 and competitive in all games.

Enjoyed the got episode deadwood on the horizon
There wasn't a moment in year one when Herman ever looked like the guy Texas thought he was. That changed in year two.

Let's not call 2017 a good season because it most certainly was not.

Reactions: NativeTex
Kudos to Robert Smith.

Congrats to Men’s Tennis!!! Outstanding response to adversity by all involved. We like Natties around here, a lot.

Well, I don’t think an extension was a particularly bright move, but then our administration never has been known for its business acumen or common sense. Fortunately, our alumni are there to step up when needed, for the most part.

Del Conte has quite a new school year coming up, doesn’t he?

I loved the part in GOT when Sam suggests democracy and they all laugh at him...classic. I thought there would be some big twist but the writers played it straight up with an ending in which everyone got what they wanted (except Dany)...

All hail men’s tennis...natty’s don’t come around very often...gotta celebrate whenever we get one.

Point Break never fails to disappoint...Swayze, Reaves and Busey were all great, and what’s better than bank robbing, adrenaline junkie surfers?

Texas needs an elite-level baseball coach because in my lifetime it has had only three head coaches and both of them were among the best that have ever lived. It remains to be seen exactly what it has in Pierce, but with three years left on his original six-year deal, I'd propose to hold off on offering him an extension.
If you’re saying Texas shouldn’t talk contract extensions with Tom Herman yet, it most certainly should not with David Pierce yet either. I’ll say the same thing about Pierce’s team as I did about Herman’s. I will not cast a judgement until the players he recruited are upperclassmen. Next season for both football and baseball will be very telling of where the programs are. Ketch, my question to you: Now that the course of the season has transpired, how many games did the season-ending injury to David Hamilton cost the baseball team this season?
I suppose I understand the idea of wanting more balance on paper in a perfect world, but it's important to note that these analysts aren't officially listed on one side of the ball or the other. They’re just analysts and my guess is that Herman has them working in a way where the defense isn't getting the bad end of the deal.
EXTREMELY good point here. With an offensive lens, the analysts can provide just as much valuable insight to the defense. Offense and defense isn’t a matter of “chicken or egg” - defense must be reactive to offense. Just take the success we’ve seen in the past with revolutionary schemes like the triple option and the air raid. The offensive analysts can look at a scheme and help a defense prepare against its possible outcomes. Herman has made it clear how he wants to win games and number one is by playing great defense. These are football analysts. Their football experience will be leveraged in as many ways as possible.

Extension was dumb and Rocket-man comes out in less than 2 weeks

WTH???? You lost all credibility the moment you listed Keanu Reeves performance in Point Break as his best. I mean, seriously, that is universally considered his most wooden and worst acting. Uggh.

Johnny Utah (and America) disagrees.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

D685bxjWwAEiudo.jpg:large

a. I learned where the Tennis channel is on my Spectrum cable package (channel 406). I guessed it was right next to the Golf Channel and was correct, but it was just a guess until Sunday.

Watched from beginning to end on Directv channel 217(TNNSHD). History was made today for longhorn nation.

Reactions: marinehorn
Man oh man, when a Texas Longhorn sport falls off it absolutely craters. Texas Baseball finishing in last place is almost beyond belief. Even more so when you consider that it's happened twice in the last few years. I didn't get the Herman extension either.

Reactions: Htowner
"Offensive" analysts have a world of coaching experience in breaking down opposing defenses, their tendencies, how they disguise coverages against certain looks, how they stunt, and on and on and on. They can certainly provide that same insight into the Texas defense, how the defense can tweak what it does for an upcoming opponent, switch up its tendencies, etc. This really isn't a problem of being overloaded with coaching knowledge on one side of the ball. When you're designing the plays, you have to understand what the defense does to stop them.

Good or great offensive coaches knowing how to be successful against particular defenses does NOT mean that they can help their defense do well, especially against good offenses. Blow U has had outstanding or great offenses in the past 10-20 years (especially the last 3) and their defense in the past 2 years has been crap and caused them to have no opp at playing for another natty. Look at how good WV's offense has been under Holgorsen and their D has been like Blow U's crappy D or mediocre at best, in general. We need good defensive mind(s) to make our D really good again, and Coach Herman needs to make sure that side of the ball gets enough coaches and/or analysts to help our D do well against good/great offenses from Blow U, OSU, and WV.

It looks more like Koepka is done with her versus the other way around. Probably did not help his Sunday.

Brooks Koepka's girlfriend looks very pissed.
Everything looked fine with them at the end. It was a bad moment that happens in any relationship. It was just caught and repeated throughtout the world thanks to social media.

Remember your ancient history (5 years or so ago) when your football Head Coach had a continuing rollover 5 year contract so incoming kids could pretty much count on "their" coach being there during "their" tenure. Ha! Leave early for the draft, pout because you don't like a new coach or lack of playing time, etc, and enter the "portal" or transfer. All these kids playing Division I sports think they are playing professionally upon leaving school and all they need is for their school to let them showcase their abilities. Bunk! You are lucky enough to get an opportunity to earn a four year degree that will serve you well for the rest of your life and if that's at UT you have 500,000 living graduates that can attest to that and lots of those folks are willing to help you to do the same. I know this isn't going to change. I just wanted to vent about "spoilage".

....for those of watching closely we already knew that Reeves was a special kind of guy.

He’s a classy guy that carries himself, both professionally & personally, in a manner that I wish many in his profession would at least attempt to emulate.

I have never had buyer’s remorse in spending the $10+ to watch one of his movies.

There wasn't a moment in year one when Herman ever looked like the guy Texas thought he was. That changed in year two.

Let's not call 2017 a good season because it most certainly was not.

I believe that any extension before the 19 season is not necessary for the continued progress of his program ...
I think it is borrowing cash & wasting ink when it is not needed by stating that the 17 season was not good when the year end results as compared to the previous three years were far more pleasant ...

Winning & even playing in BG's under Strong were non existent ...

"Offensive" analysts have a world of coaching experience in breaking down opposing defenses, their tendencies, how they disguise coverages against certain looks, how they stunt, and on and on and on. They can certainly provide that same insight into the Texas defense, how the defense can tweak what it does for an upcoming opponent, switch up its tendencies, etc. This really isn't a problem of being overloaded with coaching knowledge on one side of the ball. When you're designing the plays, you have to understand what the defense does to stop them.
agreed, Im sure they will be breaking down tendencies of the opposing offense for our defense as well

Point Break is one of if not the greatest really bad films of all time. Keanu delivered multiple cringe worthy lines such as “I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!” but the Matrix is actually a great good movie which incorporated Keanutastic line delivery in a self-aware fashion egg “I know Kung fu!” I love them both QUOTE="Ketchum, post: 12340633, member: 20"]
giphy.gif
[/QUOTE]

I didn't dislike the final ep. Sleeping on it, my expectations were so low, so how far could they really go in a crap fest of a final season. There's no way I can give the creators the MVP for this episode. Everyone else around them would have to be so bad, giving them the MVP by default. An A-? Really? That was a C+ ending with a D- final season. They get a passing grade for an epic overall series.

Jon Snow is the MVP. He had to do what needed to be done. Sure was quite easy for my to just stroll on in to the throne room, but hey, she had to die. For Jon and Tyrion to live after she died is just plain silly. Grey Worm was slitting throats out in the plaza of surrendering soldiers, but he allowed Jon to live? Also, there were many regiments of Unsullied and Dothraki about. Don't you see them as a problem living among the city, or out in surrounding areas?

I wished for a full ten episodes for season 7 and 8, but am glad it's over. My feelings now would have been seven more episodes of bad writing.

LSU series simply clouded my vision

@Ketchum After the season has ended; which tore your heart out with the most force:

LSU Sweep and the results of this years team in Baseball
OR
Beating Notre Dame in Football (2016) and becoming a shit show by the end of the season

Which hurt more?

ADVERTISEMENT