ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Legends were made on Sunday...)

Completely agree with you on the dubious decision by CDC to extend Herman’s contract now.

DeLoss Dodd’s was a great AD for Texas, but he made 2 critical mistakes towards the end of his tenure, the LHN and the over-the-top enabling of 3 great Texas head coaches, Mack Brown, Rick Barnes and Augie Garrido. Particularly irksome was Deloss’ tendency to raise their comp and extend their contracts after only OK seasons. Steve Patterson and Mike Perrin continued that mistaken pattern with Shaka.

I’m a fan of Tom Herman and believe he’s the right guy. But his game-management was poor in season #1 and his tendency to be upset by underdogs or end up in unnecessarily tight games with them is a continuing concern. Genuinely great head coaches take care of business with underdogs, both on the road and at home.

There was little rationale for CDC to extend and raise Herman now. First, Tom needs to win the Big 12 Title.
I'm surprised there's so much agreement on this matter.

BUY or SELL: It’s reasonable to expect one or two of the football analysts make it to the coaching staff in the next two years.

(Buy) It's a hell of an in-person tryout in an industry that favors personal relationships in the hiring process at almost every turn.

================================================

Care to take a stab at what the coaching staff looks like at this time in 2021?

Also, the freaking Clippers took the Warriors to six, so let';s not pretend that the team with the best combination of offense/defense all season (with home court advantage) won't push them.

A group of guys without an official head coach (I'm guessing that changes. Well done, Bruce Berque) went out and did the damn thing in a way that will see them become legends in a program most probably couldn't have dreamed of performing in when growing up far, far away from the 40 Acres.

28a3bbb3-cec7-4a8c-8a6a-8dc03bc33b74_text_hi.gif

Reactions: Ketchum
I mean... that's a sucker bet. I go out on a bit of a limb and you're like, "Let's make a bet!"

I'm gonna need some odds or added juice.
The looming Warriors/Bucks series is going to be a monster. I think it's going seven.

You said it with confidence. I said no way with confidence and offered a bet. Don't moonwalk now ;)
giphy.gif

Reactions: darrenj
Ketch, Pretty cool how you let everybody know you don't watch tennis and don't know how to keep score but....

How condescending!! Especially to our National Champions!!!!

SIAP....I agree 100% with your take on the Herman thing and the baseball coaching thing, but I couldn't let this pass....
" in my lifetime it has had only three head coaches and both <my italics> of them were among the best that have ever lived."
Reminds me of Yogi Berra's statement about his fellow Yankee pals: "Yeah, me and Mickey and Billy were two of a kind..."

In think Grey Worm was his biggest concern, amazingly enough. I can't believe he didn't challenge him to Trial By Combat.

I thought it was on when they locked eyes on the docks. I was ready for the showdown annnnnnnnd nothing. Do you think this set up some sort of spin off later? The Adventures of ____________. Insert name Jon, Arya, Sansa, etc. Too much meat left on the bone at the end.

Anyone else think of Michael Chang's celebration when winning the French Open title after Ito's celebration for winning the NCAA title? Very, very similar. Same part of the court, too.

I took my son over to watch for the weekend, as he is deciding where his college tennis. I thought the same of tennis as you. No idea about the tennis channel until I put my son in tennis camp one summer in place of tee-ball. TV does not do justice to tennis. The speed is amazing.

Amazing how WF rarely won the doubles point all year, yet did yesterday. And, WF won singles all year, except yesterday where all six matches were on UT's side!

After the doubles point, everyone penciled WF on the trophy. Ito fought back and after the second set win, boy did the momentum change! The celebration was fun to watch. Great bunch of boys and so happy for them.

I’m surprised we are still saying 2017 was a “massive disappointment” for TH. He inherited a program with 3 straight losing seasons, 2 scholly QBs (1 a true frosh), and a piss poor culture. Oh well.

In think Grey Worm was his biggest concern, amazingly enough. I can't believe he didn't challenge him to Trial By Combat.
It was because this season was rushed. You are right as there had to be more to post death of the Dragon Queen. Jon looking to get back to the north and organize, if caught, how and why? A trial and decision, etc. That episode up through Drogon taking off with her was strong, then really was rushed and very mediocre from there.

I mean... that's a sucker bet. I go out on a bit of a limb and you're like, "Let's make a bet!"

I'm gonna need some odds or added juice.

I would start the line at a 15 piece combo for Ketch to a 10 piece combo for Anwar. But let's see what the Vegas line is for a 7 game series and adjust from there.

Interesting to see the "maturity" of OB in the repeatedly thoughtful perspectives on the Herman Contract Extension. Given that many thread topics digress into F bomb laded name calling, I'm impressed!

2017 was a “massive” disappointment? 2016 losing to Kansas and getting boat raced at home by TCU in our last game and failing to make a Bowl game is “massive”.

Freshman QB making some big time mistakes in 2016 to lose the OSU and Tech games was bad but we did finish with a win over an SEC team in a bowl played in front of a lot of Texas fans.

Point Break being #1 is all I needed to see. Excellent article as usual.

Completely agree with you on the dubious decision by CDC to extend Herman’s contract now.

DeLoss Dodd’s was a great AD for Texas, but he made 2 critical mistakes towards the end of his tenure, the LHN and the over-the-top enabling of 3 great Texas head coaches, Mack Brown, Rick Barnes and Augie Garrido. Particularly irksome was Deloss’ tendency to raise their comp and extend their contracts after only OK seasons. Steve Patterson and Mike Perrin continued that mistaken pattern with Shaka.

I’m a fan of Tom Herman and believe he’s the right guy. But his game-management was poor in season #1 and his tendency to be upset by underdogs or end up in unnecessarily tight games with them is a continuing concern. Genuinely great head coaches take care of business with underdogs, both on the road and at home.

There was little rationale for CDC to extend and raise Herman now. First, Tom needs to win the Big 12 Title.
Depth does wonders for games against underdogs. You will see improvement this year and more next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT