ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's just talk about it 2.0...)

Dedicated to racial equality my entire life of 79 years but want to make a stand on The Eyes of Texas.

The matters objected to are very remote in time (and in thought also, if everyone is being honest about it). Meanings and perceptions change over time. Why can't it be the case that these words and this song have acquired a meaning completely different from their origin? In my mind, the fact that the whole state (the eyes of Texas) is/are watching you and people will remember you is one of the primary selling points on attending UT. Facilitates getting a job, etc.

In the real world, people who make numerous demand do not expect or receive absolutely 100% of their demands and encounter long term resentment when they insist upon the same. Surely there has to be SOME room for discussion and compromise. We need to negotiate to retain the school song.

Reactions: styrbjorn
It is interesting to me that the stories of the “racist roots” of the Eyes of Texas seem to conflate shows put on by the Texas Cowboys into the story. But The Eyes of Texas are much older than The Texas Cowboys. So, that angle just seems completely misplaced.

NO!

REALITY is reality.

The Nazis claimed to observe scientifically (PERCEPTION) a strict hierarchy of the human race. Hitler's view towards race and people can be found throughout Mein Kampf but more specifically in chapter 11 "Nation and Race". The standard-issue propaganda text issued to members of the Hitler Youth contained a chapter on "the race of the German people" that heavily cited the works of Hans F. K. Günther. The text seems to address the European races in descending orders on the Nazi hierarchy, with the Nordic race (plus the subrace of Phalic) first, the Western (Mediterranean) race second, Dinarics third, Eastern (Alpine) people fourth, and finally East Baltics last.

The subhumans were the Romani, Slavs (Poles, Serbs, Russians), and Jews.

The racial ideas in the above 2 paragraphs are not reality. But those "perceptions" were used to enslave and exterminate millions of people.

Reality = The Eyes is not racist
Perception = The players think it is

Because of the perception, the reality is that the song is going away. The mere fact that people like me are sad it's going away, will likely lead to us being called racists. That's the perception when you propose a different viewpoint than the mob, even though the reality is that we are not racist.

Are you catching on?

Saying the song originated from a minstrel show performance

I've provided you documentation that The Eyes of Texas did not originate from a minstrel show performance. It both predated and post-dated that single performance. You know, if you read what I provided you, that the song was not and has never been racist.

I asked you specifically if you read the information I provided you. You didn't answer the question. You provided a vague dodge implication of guilt by proximity.

I hope Texas athletics remains competitive and the BMDs don’t move on to other things. I’m concerned. These people are not used to being given demands. I’m afraid things have changed forever and the budget will have to be severely adjusted.
Trust me, the Athletics Department at UT is about money first and foremost. It will be interesting to see what the BMD's make of all this. Their voices will absolutely be heard.

Reactions: TheTexian
As for most of the long list of demands/requests for changes across the university etc. I'd like to see a democratic process across the 50,000 or so student body address the need for change. And that would include coming up with the list of items for consideration. I think we have a relatively diverse student body (just saw that 56% of the student body is people of color) that could probably do a good job on this front.

I don't like the concept of a student athlete having more influence than the average student on campus. As a matter of fact I could make a case for having less since most of them aren't paying to go to school like the average student on campus is (but I'll pass on that argument). So 1 student = 1 vote.

Only exception would be on something where the student athlete feels obligated to do something like sing The Eyes of Texas, which of course the average student never faces that requirement.

Imagine how the players have felt.

I honestly, truly don't believe that the majority of players knew about this "deep-seeded racism" in The Eyes of Texas all this time.

This is classic groupthink to me. Maybe it's my privilege talking. I don't doubt some knew. But, no I do not for one second think that every black person on campus has been walking around with this secret pain and vitriol directed toward the school song, while the rest of us blistfully ignorant "racists" enjoyed it with pride and honor.

Last edited:
minstrel shows

"Views on slavery were fairly evenly presented in minstrelsy" (1).

"Some songs even suggested the creation of a coalition of working blacks and whites to end the institution (slavery)
" (2).

1. Cockrell, Dale (1997), Demons of Disorder: Early Blackface Minstrels and their World, Cambridge University Press / Cambridge Studies in American Theatre and Drama, ISBN 978-0-521-56828-9. Pg. 187, Note 111.

2. Cockrell, Dale (1997), Demons of Disorder: Early Blackface Minstrels and their World, Cambridge University Press / Cambridge Studies in American Theatre and Drama, ISBN 978-0-521-56828-9. Pg. 146.

I've provided you documentation that The Eyes of Texas did not originate from a minstrel show performance. It both predated and post-dated that single performance. You know, if you read what I provided you, that the song was not and has never been racist.

I asked you specifically if you read the information I provided you. You didn't answer the question. You provided a vague dodge implication of guilt by proximity.
I missed that documentation. Can you reshare? It would be an interesting turn if true.

In Friday Night Lights Season 1 were several episodes dealing with race. The offensive coordinator caused an uproar when, among others things, he referred to an African-American athlete, Smash, as a "junk yard dog."

Above, it was stated: "I'm a huge fan of Kennedale athlete J.D. Coffey, a total bad-ass of a safety prospect that shows flashes of having pieces of talent in the mold of Earl Thomas and Kenny Vaccaro. He's just a junk-yard dog on the field that brings athleticism, physicality and serious play-making to the table."

Even when we act out of pure motives and loving heart, as we all know you do, it may not appear so. It's true for all of us. Let's do some Texas style "neighboring". FNLs regularly said their is no weakness in forgiveness. Martin Luther King preached on it in one of his more famous sermons "On Being a Good Neighbor." Let's start there and change the world.

this deep-seeded racism in The Eyes of Texas all this time

There IS NO deep seated racism in The Eyes of Texas. There never has been. Let's get the facts correct.

The Eyes of Texas

Above: The University of Texas campus in the early 1900s.

In the spring of 1902, Lewis Johnson was the student manager for just about every musical performance on the campus. Between classes, he played tuba in the Varsity Band, directed the University Chorus, and arranged for concerts on the Forty Acres. Most were in the 1,500 seat auditorium of the old Main Building, but in late March, Johnson wanted to try something new, and introduced a series of “Promenade Concerts.” Starting at 7p.m., the band strolled along the walk that circled the campus and played a variety of overtures, waltzes, and new marches by a popular composer named Sousa. The crowd followed along, listened, clapped, danced, and occasionally sang. A roving party, the concerts were a great success. “This promises to be the most popular entertainment ever provided for ‘Varsity people,” declared the Texan student newspaper.

Among the songs UT students sang were well-known college favorites, among them Fair Harvard, and Princeton’s Old Nassau. But the University had no song to call its own, for years a sore topic regularly discussed in the student newspapers. Though not a composer himself, Johnson decided to find a way to create one.

He first contacted alumni known to have literary talent, and hoped to recruit a volunteer to write a UT song, but received only polite refusals. Not one to give up easily, Johnson turned to his fellow students, specifically to fellow band member John Lang Sinclair. Sinclair was an editor of the Cactus yearbook, a regular contributor to the University of Texas Literary Magazine, and was widely known as the campus poet. Sinclair resisted at first, but Johnson continued to pester.

One evening in early May 1902, Johnson and Sinclair were returning from a comic opera performance in downtown Austin, when they stopped at Jacoby’s Beer Garden, just south of the campus on Lavaca Street. Johnson brought up the topic of a UT song once again and, perhaps with the help of Mr. Jacoby’s ales, Sinclair finally acquiesced to Johnson’s requests. They went to Sinclair’s room on the second floor of old Brackenridge Hall – popularly called “B. Hall,” the University’s first residence hall for men – stayed up all night, and finished the verses for Jolly Students of the ‘Varsity.

Music (and inspiration) came from the nationally-known tune, Jolly Students of America. Johnson contacted the composer in Detroit for permission to use the music, while Sinclair re-fashioned the words and extended the song to six verses. The chorus was:

For we are jolly students of the ‘Varsity, the ‘Varsity!

We are a merry, merry crew.

We’ll show the chief of all policemen who we are

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down on the Avenue.

In the 1900s, the term ” ‘varsity ” was a contraction of the word “university.” In the Lone Star State, students who attended ‘Varsity, were understood to be enrolled in the University of Texas, while those studying at the “College” were in the A&M College of Texas (as Texas A&M was then called). In the chorus, the Avenue referred to Congress Avenue downtown.

The Jolly Students was introduced at a concert in late May, and was instantly popular with UT students. But Johnson felt the song still lacked a distinct Texas identity. The following spring he prodded Sinclair to try again.

In March 1903, while Johnson waited in line at the University Post Office in the old Main Building, Sinclair arrived with a grin, quietly handed Johnson a folded scrap of brown paper torn from a wrapped bundle from Bosche’s Laundry in downtown Austin, and left. (Photo at left.) On it, scribbled in pencil with scratched-out lines and corrections, was the first draft of a poem:

They watch above you all the day, the bright blue eyes of Texas.

At midnight they’re with you all the way, the sleepless eyes of Texas.

The eyes of Texas are upon you, all the livelong day.

The eyes of Texas are upon you. They’re with you all the way.

They watch you through the peaceful night. They watch you in the early dawn,

When from the eastern skies the high light, tells that the night is gone.

Sing me a song of Texas, and Texas’ myriad eyes.

Countless as the bright stars, that fill the midnight skies.

Vandyke brown, vermillion, sepia, Prussian blue,

Ivory black and crimson lac, and eyes of every hue.

Before Johnson read the last line, he knew Sinclair had produced something for the University that would last long after their time as students had passed. Set to the tune “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad,” Johnson and Sinclair prepared the song so it could be performed by the Varsity Quartet at its next show in May. As the work progressed, the two decided to make the song a spoof on UT President William Prather, and Sinclair made some significant revisions to the words.

Prather (photo at right) was a UT regent who was surprised by his fellow regents when they chose him to lead the University in 1899. He’d attended Washington College in Virginia (now Washington and Lee University), and often heard its president at the time, Robert E. Lee, tell his students, “Remember, the eyes of the South are upon you,” as he reminded them that they were the leaders of the future.

Prather particularly liked this phrase, though apparently his talent for public speaking wasn’t popular with everyone. When Prather was tapped to be president, regent Russell Cowart wrote to his colleague, Tom Henderson, about the possibility of an inauguration ceremony for Prather: “I can see no reason why there should be any inauguration … I am afraid that the Dear Col. might inflict not only us but a suffering audience with a speech like the one he paralyzed us with when he came and was notified of his selection [to be president].” A ceremony was held anyway, and Prather concluded his talk with a plea to the students, “Always remember, the eyes of Texas are upon you.”

The speech was so well received, Prather decided to get all he could of it and ended most of his talks with the same phrase. The students, of course, picked up on it immediately, and it became an ongoing campus joke to chant, “Remember, the eyes of Texas are upon you!” at sporting events, concerts, and just about every social occasion. Prather took the good-natured kidding as it was intended. He knew that, at the least, the students were listening to him.

A Varsity minstrel show was scheduled for Wednesday evening, May 12, 1903, in the Hancock Opera House on West Sixth Street, and was packed with music, dances, skits, and even a tumbling act. Proceeds from the show would pay for the University Track team to attend the All-South Track and Field Competition in Atlanta.

Leading off the show was an overture by the Varsity Band, followed by songs titled Oh, The Lovely Girls, Old Kentucky Home and The Castle on the Nile performed by the University Chorus or student soloists. The fourth piece listed on the printed program was cryptically labeled a “Selection” by the Varsity Quartet.

With President Prather sitting in the audience, four students: Jim Kivlehen, Ralph Porter, Bill Smith and Jim Cannon, accompanied by John Lang Sinclair on the banjo, took the stage and unleashed Sinclair’s creation:

I once did know a President, a way down South, in Texas.

And, always, everywhere he went, he saw the Eyes of Texas.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you, all the livelong day.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you, you cannot get away.

Do not think you can escape them, at night or early in the morn –

The Eyes of Texas are upon you, ’til Gabriel blows his horn.

Sing me a song of Prexy, of days long since gone by.

Again I seek to greet him, and hear his kind reply.

Smiles of gracious welcome, before my memory rise,

Again I hear him say to me, “Remember Texas’ Eyes.”

Before the first verse was finished, the crowd was in an uproar. By the end of the song, the audience was pounding the floor and demanding so many encores that members of the quartet grew hoarse and had to sing We’re Tired Out. The Varsity Band learned the tune, and the following evening included The Eyes on its Promenade Concert around the campus.

(The earliest recording of The Eyes of Texas was made in 1928 by the Longhorn Band. Listen to it – as well as the first recording of “Texas Fight” – here.)

Prather, though, had the last laugh. Less than a month after the minstrel show, on June 10th, spring commencement ceremonies were held in the auditorium of Old Main. Prather made his farewell speech to the senior class, and turned the joke back on them. “And now, young ladies and gentlemen, in the words of your own poet, remember that the eyes of Texas are upon you.” The seniors gave Prather a standing ovation, and the University of Texas had a song it could call its own.

And the UT track team won the All-South meet in Atlanta, it’s first victory in a regional competition.

https://jimnicar.com/ut-traditions/the-eyes-of-texas/

I missed that documentation. Can you reshare? It would be an interesting turn if true.

https://jimnicar.com/ut-traditions/the-eyes-of-texas/

The Eyes of Texas

In the spring of 1902, Lewis Johnson was the student manager for just about every musical performance on the campus. Between classes, he played tuba in the Varsity Band, directed the University Chorus, and arranged for concerts on the Forty Acres. Most were in the 1,500 seat auditorium of the old Main Building, but in late March, Johnson wanted to try something new, and introduced a series of “Promenade Concerts.” Starting at 7p.m., the band strolled along the walk that circled the campus and played a variety of overtures, waltzes, and new marches by a popular composer named Sousa. The crowd followed along, listened, clapped, danced, and occasionally sang. A roving party, the concerts were a great success. “This promises to be the most popular entertainment ever provided for ‘Varsity people,” declared the Texan student newspaper.

Among the songs UT students sang were well-known college favorites, among them Fair Harvard, and Princeton’s Old Nassau. But the University had no song to call its own, for years a sore topic regularly discussed in the student newspapers. Though not a composer himself, Johnson decided to find a way to create one.

He first contacted alumni known to have literary talent, and hoped to recruit a volunteer to write a UT song, but received only polite refusals. Not one to give up easily, Johnson turned to his fellow students, specifically to fellow band member John Lang Sinclair. Sinclair was an editor of the Cactus yearbook, a regular contributor to the University of Texas Literary Magazine, and was widely known as the campus poet. Sinclair resisted at first, but Johnson continued to pester.

One evening in early May 1902, Johnson and Sinclair were returning from a comic opera performance in downtown Austin, when they stopped at Jacoby’s Beer Garden, just south of the campus on Lavaca Street. Johnson brought up the topic of a UT song once again and, perhaps with the help of Mr. Jacoby’s ales, Sinclair finally acquiesced to Johnson’s requests. They went to Sinclair’s room on the second floor of old Brackenridge Hall – popularly called “B. Hall,” the University’s first residence hall for men – stayed up all night, and finished the verses for Jolly Students of the ‘Varsity.

Music (and inspiration) came from the nationally-known tune, Jolly Students of America. Johnson contacted the composer in Detroit for permission to use the music, while Sinclair re-fashioned the words and extended the song to six verses. The chorus was:

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down on the Avenue.

In the 1900s, the term ” ‘varsity ” was a contraction of the word “university.” In the Lone Star State, students who attended ‘Varsity, were understood to be enrolled in the University of Texas, while those studying at the “College” were in the A&M College of Texas (as Texas A&M was then called). In the chorus, the Avenue referred to Congress Avenue downtown.

The Jolly Students was introduced at a concert in late May, and was instantly popular with UT students. But Johnson felt the song still lacked a distinct Texas identity. The following spring he prodded Sinclair to try again.

In March 1903, while Johnson waited in line at the University Post Office in the old Main Building, Sinclair arrived with a grin, quietly handed Johnson a folded scrap of brown paper torn from a wrapped bundle from Bosche’s Laundry in downtown Austin, and left. (Photo at left.) On it, scribbled in pencil with scratched-out lines and corrections, was the first draft of a poem:

Before Johnson read the last line, he knew Sinclair had produced something for the University that would last long after their time as students had passed. Set to the tune “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad,” Johnson and Sinclair prepared the song so it could be performed by the Varsity Quartet at its next show in May. As the work progressed, the two decided to make the song a spoof on UT President William Prather, and Sinclair made some significant revisions to the words.

Prather (photo at right) was a UT regent who was surprised by his fellow regents when they chose him to lead the University in 1899. He’d attended Washington College in Virginia (now Washington and Lee University), and often heard its president at the time, Robert E. Lee, tell his students, “Remember, the eyes of the South are upon you,” as he reminded them that they were the leaders of the future.

Prather particularly liked this phrase, though apparently his talent for public speaking wasn’t popular with everyone. When Prather was tapped to be president, regent Russell Cowart wrote to his colleague, Tom Henderson, about the possibility of an inauguration ceremony for Prather: “I can see no reason why there should be any inauguration … I am afraid that the Dear Col. might inflict not only us but a suffering audience with a speech like the one he paralyzed us with when he came and was notified of his selection [to be president].” A ceremony was held anyway, and Prather concluded his talk with a plea to the students, “Always remember, the eyes of Texas are upon you.”

The speech was so well received, Prather decided to get all he could of it and ended most of his talks with the same phrase. The students, of course, picked up on it immediately, and it became an ongoing campus joke to chant, “Remember, the eyes of Texas are upon you!” at sporting events, concerts, and just about every social occasion. Prather took the good-natured kidding as it was intended. He knew that, at the least, the students were listening to him.

A Varsity minstrel show was scheduled for Wednesday evening, May 12, 1903, in the Hancock Opera House on West Sixth Street, and was packed with music, dances, skits, and even a tumbling act. Proceeds from the show would pay for the University Track team to attend the All-South Track and Field Competition in Atlanta.

Leading off the show was an overture by the Varsity Band, followed by songs titled Oh, The Lovely Girls, Old Kentucky Home and The Castle on the Nile performed by the University Chorus or student soloists. The fourth piece listed on the printed program was cryptically labeled a “Selection” by the Varsity Quartet.

With President Prather sitting in the audience, four students: Jim Kivlehen, Ralph Porter, Bill Smith and Jim Cannon, accompanied by John Lang Sinclair on the banjo, took the stage and unleashed Sinclair’s creation:

Before the first verse was finished, the crowd was in an uproar. By the end of the song, the audience was pounding the floor and demanding so many encores that members of the quartet grew hoarse and had to sing We’re Tired Out. The Varsity Band learned the tune, and the following evening included The Eyes on its Promenade Concert around the campus.

(The earliest recording of The Eyes of Texas was made in 1928 by the Longhorn Band. Listen to it – as well as the first recording of “Texas Fight” – here.)

Prather, though, had the last laugh. Less than a month after the minstrel show, on June 10th, spring commencement ceremonies were held in the auditorium of Old Main. Prather made his farewell speech to the senior class, and turned the joke back on them. “And now, young ladies and gentlemen, in the words of your own poet, remember that the eyes of Texas are upon you.” The seniors gave Prather a standing ovation, and the University of Texas had a song it could call its own.

And the UT track team won the All-South meet in Atlanta, it’s first victory in a regional competition.

Reactions: Reaper1
I would say America electing a black president has to rank pretty high up on the list of gigantic strides. But maybe that's just me.

We're talking about The University of Texas, specifically.
Wasn’t he an honored visitor to our campus, meeting with the team and coaches? Seems awfully gregarious for a school that harbors such racist origins and continued embracing of racist traditions.

Last edited:
I hope there's some good stuff in there, maybe even a few informative things that you haven't seen or heard of before.

Ketch, it's well written and well stated. I just disagree that any real action should be taken regarding the eyes of Texas. I also am not to fond of anything going directly to BLM in terms of funding that organization. If it's funding things that support the spirit of social growth as deemed appropriate by the university I am ok with that and willing to see what they choose. If they want to yank some statues and rip some names off buildings i guess that is their poragative. But, bottomline there are countless things that are woven into our society that orginated from or may have been informed by someone with character flaws as judged by modern society. But if those people, now judged 120 years in the future, did something that stuck and grew roots within our culture do we simply wipe all those things away because we don't like every aspect of the people's life that originated them or from whom they may have garnered some small inspiration? I believe if we don't learn our history and understand it we are doomed to repeat it. White washing it and santizing our history does not make us stronger. In the end it keeps us less vigilent in future generations to prevent the same bad things from happening again.

If the powers that be want to give the players the option to not participate or sing the eyes. I guess that is there call. But, if they eliminate it I will be forced to reevaluate the amount of passion and time I spend supporting UT and UT sporting events. Because, to me it's shameful to forget our traditions and long instituted ways of doing things if those things in and of themselves are not hurtful on the face of them. If you have to dig 120 years back in time to find a problem by association. Then welcome to pandora's box on a sh$t ton of things. By that point it will hopefully be time for me to check out of planet Earth....:eek:

We're talking about The University of Texas, specifically.

As someone else pointed out.

Charlie Strong
Shaka Smart

I could probably spend more time pointing out dozens more examples. But ultimately, it will not matter. It is hard to refute emotion with facts.

Because of the perception, the reality is that the song is going away.

It's not going away. I'll be singing it after each game, win or lose, as I have for 6 decades, since I was a child.

Essentially my entire family is alums (and more) of The University of Texas. None are racist.

That is not how people inside the university that know about the situation would describe it.
Ketch - it’s clearly causing division between the team and the fans. Regardless of how much the player support it, there’s no way to construe this besides it being a very divisive stance to take on an issue that up until this point was not a significant enough concern for anyone in the program to even have mentioned it in passing to you.

I stand by the statement that if the players goal is ultimately to promote unity, they have swung and missed badly here

I suppose it comes down to this for me.

Were those dudes expected to just swallow their feelings forever on this or do they deserve to be able to say how they feel?

Every body has a right to Free Speech it's a right that our country basis it's existence. If they don't want to participate, fine but taking away my right to Free Speech, is troublesome.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
The matters objected to (The Eyes of Texas) are very remote in time

And ENTIRELY not racist.

The Eyes of Texas

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down on the Avenue.

We absolutely have the RIGHT to FREE SPEECH.

We absolutely do NOT have the right to NOT be offended.

My opinion is that cancel culture is a direct road that leads and ends at willful ignorance at best with a ton of destruction along the way.

Why didn't you answer my question?
"If playing for UT is such a negative experience for these athletes, why perpetuate it?" I am being serious. I am not sure college athletics is a positive force in society.
I don't think they are saying the entire experience is negative.

If the Administration agrees to abandon "The Eyes of Texas", it should do so only after every song containing the "N" word or its variations, are wiped clean from the airwaves, Spotify, stand-up comics, iPods, telephones, etc. I mean completely and thoroughly stamped out. No more of the "separate rules for separate people" kind of thing they protest against. Such hypocracy!

I honestly, truly don't believe that the majority of players knew about this "deep-seeded racism" in The Eyes of Texas all this time.

This is classic groupthink to me. Maybe it's my privilege talking. I don't doubt some knew. But, no I do not for one second think that every black person on campus has been walking around with this secret pain and vitriol directed toward the school song, while the rest of us blistfully ignorant "racists" enjoyed it with pride and honor.
No one is suggesting that has happened.

I specifically mentioned in the article that roughly 25-percent of those I spoke with had virtually zero idea about it. All of them said that now that they do, it does change things, if even only to some degree.

And ENTIRELY not racist.

The Eyes of Texas

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down on the Avenue.

All of this occurred at a MINSTREL SHOW!

I don’t believe anyone feels like you should feel guilt. I think it’s more of a matter of understanding and having a little bit of empathy for the way others feel about the situation.
The players presented it in a demand letter...not a good way to ask for understanding and empathy, especially on the Eyes, which is in its current form, about as innocent a song as possible..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT