ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's talk about Tom's game management...)

Good stuff Ketch. I’m in the Herman is still learning camp. He’ll get better.
I’m NOT aligned with OU @ no. 4. I get it. I just don’t buy it yet.

Interesting but I disagree. I think they are an SEC fraud. Ehlinger’s team over Nix all day. The rest of your top 10 I agree with you.
You might be right, but they have two quality wins IMO.

Nice write-up, @Ketchum. Some good points that I agree completely with.

I have a question for you regarding Jevan Snead ((RIP, Jevan, so sorry to see this). I have always thought Mack Brown blew a chance at a B12 title playing Colt against aggy at the end of the season when McCoy couldn't throw the ball 10 yards because of the lingering effects of his stinger injury. So aggy stacked the box, we lost 10-7 and Colt was carted off the field. If Brown had played Jevan, I believe we would have won. I know Jevan was erratic in relief the week before in Manhattan, but he put up 28 points. Jevan with a leash would have had a better chance to win that game with our defense. Your thoughts?
100-percent agree.

What criteria did you use as the main support for the top 10 WR seasons as they all are different. I could see some being better then others ( receptions, yards or TDs). Was just curious what makes the #2 better then the #3? Obviously Shipley is no doubt #1.
Roy was just dominant in a way that looking a the stats doesn't show. He also played with poorer quarterback play.

“... I think Dallas probably played a C-level game on Sunday against the Dolphins and they still won by 25 points. The naked eye tells me that this is probably the best Dallas team since the 2007 group and I think at the end of the season we might have to have a talk about that one, too.”

It’s entertaining when the Cowboys are winning, but you do realize they may have played the easiest schedule in the league so far..

Reactions: PaulieD
In fact, he's so new school that when he followed an unconventional decision with a worse play-call, he didn't even sweat to bother with that whole unconventional part of it all.

“Not the decision to go for it, but went to the well one too many times on a play that had been good to us the entire year,” Herman said. “Should have known they’d be in an all-out coverage zero blitz to stop that play. I was disappointed in myself.”​

But, Tom ... it was fourth and three ...

“I know you guys are infatuated with the binder, and the binder says anything under six [yards] to go for it,” Herman said. “I kind of listened to it a little bit. But you know, we were playing pretty good. It was just it was an ill-advised call. It was the right decision. It was a poor call.”

(The binder says WHAT?!?! Sorry, I just felt the need for a quick footnote)

Here's where the program is at with Herman's 4th down calls.

In 2019 against power 5 opponents, Herman is 1-4 on 4th down conversios, with all three misses taking points off the board. The lone successful conversion was the Duvernay touchdown in the LSU game where the ball was at the LSU 44 and no points were taken off the board.

I'm not sure what's in the binder, but the analytics currently say the offense sucks shit through a straw on 4th down, especially when taking points off the board.​

I get that they're undefeated and we aren't, but Texas would f up Auburn. They're very overrated.

Burrow is going to win the Heisman.

My only complaints with Herman at this point are the binder, never going under center on short yardage/goal line, and his aversion to 10 personnel.

In 2019 against power 5 opponents, Herman is 1-4 on 4th down conversios, with all three misses taking points off the board. The lone successful conversion was the Duvernay touchdown in the LSU game where the ball was at the LSU 44 and no points were taken off the board.

I'm not sure what's in the binder, but the analytics currently say the offense sucks shit through a straw on 4th down, especially when taking points off the board.​

Preach brother....

Our FG % is 73 over the last two seasons. Hardly automatic. So it can’t be guaranteed we’re “taking points off the board”. I assume that goes into Tom’s thinking.

RIP Jevan. My wife is from Stephenville and he was one of the first Stephenville players I remember seeing from the area - he was a great QB for the Yellowjackets!

Regards to his family.

Reactions: North1954
@Ketchum what about John Harris' senior year? Was it deserving of possibly making the list? If I can remember correctly, he had a pretty decent year.

Reactions: North1954
It’s interesting that you say CTH is always aggressive on offense. I disagree. I think he goes into a shell and gets very conservative in the 4th quarter of games he’s leading, instead of putting the pedal to the metal and finishing teams off. We saw it last night, we saw it against ou last October, and many other times. That’s when he should be aggressive, or at least assertive with his play calling. There are ways to be safe with the ball and still try to move the chains and run the clock. Handing off to the RB on a “no read” zone read play is not it, especially when the other team is putting 9+ guys in the box.

He takes big risks at stupid times, but won’t take small risks when he can put the game away. He has a long ways to go as a end of half and end of game manager IMO.

Our FG % is 73 over the last two seasons. Hardly automatic. So it can’t be guaranteed we’re “taking points off the board”. I assume that goes into Tom’s thinking.
Dicker is pretty darn good.

Reactions: Number-5
This guy is scoring 100% of the time

tenor.gif

The team and Coach Herman would probably say last years game was last year, but damn did that West Virginia game really make the blood boil.

Have a feeling our guys will be fired up for that game.

What am I looking at here?

Guy hunched over in black shirt....Squeeze Ag?

I think.

I think the game management thing is a bit of a Sunday morning QB nitpick. While I probably would not have gone for 4th and 3, I don't view doing so as a game management mistake. I just think Herman is generally aggressive in these situations and while every play is not going to be successful, that aggressive mentality can rub off on the team in a positive way. I think this complaint is more along the lines of Tom Herman has a DFW recruiting problem or a problem recruiting within the state of Texas or a problem with rubbing his players the wrong way. He will probably ultimately prove that he knows better than all of the naysayers.

The thing with the book is this, if you are going to use it, that is a decision you make in the spring (it's like deciding to run a new offensive system) and, if you're gonna use it once, you have to use it all the time, that's the only way the math works out.
It seems like they might need to put in a little more film work on their 4th down package (and short yardage plays over all). Not knowing you're gonna get a cover 0 blitz vs your formation is inexcusable.
Agree. This is what he needs to use some of the consultants/analysts for. We haven’t been good in 4th and short yardage against quality opponents.

Reactions: Heavy7602
Ketch, your game management argument, in this particular game, is null and void if one punt is caught and the other just left to bounce harmlessly while Oklahoma State downs it.

They scored 14 points of those two turnovers.

The score is probably 36-16 if they just catch two punts cleanly. Period. That’s the only in they had in this game.

This game management hysteria has been overblown imo.

The decision to not kick the field goal is legitimately questionable.

I can see where Tom was coming from. His offense had scored two consecutive touchdowns, and it’s 4th and 3 at they’re own 31. I can see his viewpoint. He feels they’re in rhythm.

Would I have opted for the field goal? Yes.

Should Tom have? Probably, but it wasn’t totally egregious imo.

Questionable? Certainly.

Egregious? Not in my view.

While I appreciate Tom taking the bullet for Brandon in postgame. A senior captain simply needs to make a better decision there. He’s experienced enough as a punt returner to have known better in that situation.

The special teams needs special attention after this game. No disputing that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT