ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Notre Dame game is everything)

"While Strong might not be coaching for his job this season, he is coaching for the right to control the narrative moving forward. If he skates by with another .500ish record this season, he’ll return for another year because of the $10 million left on his contract as much as any other reason and every recruit in the nation will know that he’s walking on thin ice."

With the talent on campus now, including coaches (Gilbert at OC specifically), there's no reason Charlie should be looking at another .500-type season. If we are, that $10M won't be a problem to bankroll changes. That trigger was almost pulled last Dec.

Just to nick pick - 7/32 for touchback does not equal 50 %.

And missing 4 of your last 6 fg's is not a comforting stat. But definitely an upgrade over what I saw in the spring.

@Ketchum Care to elaborate on this little nugget? I'm assuming this doesn't mean it will be a disaster, but also means that we don't have a world beater like Hudson on the DL. In other words, we'll be ok, but not great?
Jordan Elliott looks in great shape and if his mind is right he could be a serious contributor this season.

Somebody is still butt hurt about Holms knocking his girl dafuq out.

I want the freshman DT's to be serviceable and hold up decently. That's my expectation. We have some good prospects but there's no Marvin Wilson in that group. I think Boyette will surprise this year anyway.

I don't expect to beat ND. I also don't expect to see a 38-3 schlacking either. Playing a four quarter game(not over at half down 24)against a top 10 opponent is my hope where Texas shows they have improved.

Our CBs and RBs are better. Probably LBs as well. We'll see though.
Better:
QB - Year older and Buchelle
RB - Year older with Porter and Daje push
OL - Much better as older and much deeper
WR - Better will experienced speed and depth
S - Year older and stud athletic depth
CB - Year older with depth and talent
P - Year older and steady now. Expect him to be excellent.

Push
TE - Basically same crew and not heavily used
DE - Have more depth but basically lose Shiro and gain freshmen
LB - possibly a bit better. Lose Jenkins who played excellent. MJ will be better and Wheeler is coming on. Freeman, too.
K - was to be a gap, now at least as good. Should be at least a push.

Worse
DT - Have more depth, but it is freshman depth. Hope is there, but reality is not yet developed.

Overall, the offensive improvements and defensive backfill growth make this a better team than the last two years. Key will be holding the line at DT and getting a pass rush. If that can be reasonable vs a weakness, watch out

In a 12-game season, some games matter more than others and I can make the case that the Notre Dame game ranks as the most important game of Strong's coaching career to date

I think if Charlie turns this thing around, the win in Waco last year will be a big one (if not the biggest) to look back on as the turning point. I walked out of that stadium thinking that was a shitload of hay that got put in the barn and he might have saved his job. The recruiting juice from that win alone was key. Do you think Texas finishes on NSD as strong with a loss? Do the Baylor transfers happen? Serious questions. That Oklahoma win will end up being bigger as well IMO.

Notre Dame is crucial no question. But to expect a win over a Top 10 with a fish QB and so many young players in week one...I think he gets some slack here from the brass barring a blowout. I think OU and TCU are MUCH bigger games this season on paper than the Irish. I know I'd trade two wins over those for a ND loss if I could before the season even starts.

Reactions: Gus McCrea
N_Hame4460.jpg

@Ketchum

Reactions: daflonghorn
Bad News on the Fesh DT's we need that position to step up BIG! Hopfully when the pads come on we see a change...

No. 4 – Things little birdies tell me ...

Here’s a smattering things I’ve heard in the last week regarding the Texas program ...

4. Another former player told me this week that expectations for the incoming freshmen defensive tackles should be tempered quite a bit for this season. “I don’t really see anyone like Patrick Hudson (in the group),” the source said.

There has been a lot of anticipation during the offseason of the 300-pound freshman defensive tackles coming in and really bolstering the play of the defensive line. As this former player indicated, that really isn't likely to happen to any significant degree. They're freshmen, and, realistically, among the tackles, odds are that only one of them is likely to emerge and make any kind of impact. Here's to Paul Boyette, Poona Ford, and Chris Nelson really elevating their level of play this season. No doubt about it, the freshmen tackles are going to have to play, but hopefully their snaps can be minimized rather than required.

Reactions: slothrop
Good stuff. Thanks.

And you somehow managed to squeeze in both optics and narrative multiple times just in the first few thoughts. Nice.

- A recruiting writer asked Strong if he needed to change how his approaches recruiting during Big 12 Media Days. Strong looked at the guy and said, "What do I need to change?"

- Doesn't seem like this guy will miss an extra point when it counts. Having a reliable kicker can result in one or two wins.

- Davante Davis appears to be a three-year player. We could potentially see several juniors pursue their NFL dreams after next season.

- From what I heard, Ehlinger believes he will be in the mix even if Buechele takes off. The one thing he doesn't lack is confidence.

- Jarrett Allen is clearly the real deal. Now I know why every school was willing to wait so long for him

Reactions: WorldSeriesChamps
- A recruiting writer asked Strong if he needed to change how his approaches recruiting during Big 12 Media Days. Strong looked at the guy and said, "What do I need to change?"

- Doesn't seem like this guy will miss an extra point when it counts. Having a reliable kicker can result in one or two wins.

- Davante Davis appears to be a three-year player. We could potentially see several juniors pursue their NFL dreams after next season.

- From what I heard, Ehlinger believes he will be in the mix even if Buechele takes off. The one thing he doesn't lack is confidence.

- Jarrett Allen is clearly the real deal. Now I know why every school was willing to wait so long for him
People should be loading up on D Davis stock.

I can make a case that the biggest opening game in the last 25 years was in 2005. If we hadn't won that one, we wouldn't have won the Natty. So, yes, you're being too dramatic anout this year's opener. It'll be a huge game for the Horns and Strong's career without the hype.
The biggest opening game was a 60-3 win over La-Lafayette.

ok.

Wait a minute, isn't that kind of the point of this buy or sell question? Not losing is winning.

Unless you're saying we've established that Texas wins an 'X' number of games and that the new kicker doesn't increase that number by 1 this year.

Edit: Double negative.
I'm saying I didn't previously look at the schedule and have Texas losing a game because of its kicker. Now, I don't see them winning an extra game because of one, either.

You will most likely have a rotation of the freshmen who are physically ready to play. I think the player is saying from what is seen don't expect Tommy Harris type stuff out the gate.
Understood. Thanks.

Ketch is trying wayyyyyyyy too hard to not be labeled a fan boy. I love this, if we beat Notre Dame and OU "a 4-1 record in the first five games of the season would likely see Strong’s rear end removed from the hot seat". Yeah, I think that would be a good thing for him as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ummmmm, if we are 4-1, this team is way underrated by you and they likely compete for a top 5-10 finish. Which of course is unlikely to be the case with a team this inexperienced with a true freshman at QB.

Seriously Ketch, give up the doomsday and inconsistent scenarios. This team should compete in every game, and win 8 or 9. They are going to lose a game they shouldn't, and win one they shouldn't (OU/ND). The key is they should look good doing it. My best case scenario are some nice blowouts we haven't seen since Colt left. Where the D and O hit on all cylinders, and kill whoever happens to be the opponent that week.
your post is full of silliness.

I see the Notre Dame game differently. We are playing a better (for now) program. We are loaded with freshmen and sophomores. We will have a QB starting the first game he walks on the field in a college uniform.

The Cal and Ok State pair of games is more important in my view.
I think the Notre Dame game is more winnable right now that Okie State. Charlie's teams just haven't played well on the road.

"On paper, he’ll have a team that should be able to stand toe to toe with the Irish in a way that it never could a season ago."

Explain this a little better if you could, @Ketchum. Do the "on paper" position matchups. I know ND lost some big time play makers, but I'm not sure we have any more of an advantage at any position on the field compared to last year's matchup.
The offense is improved at almost every turn.

Reactions: p1hookem
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT