ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Notre Dame game is everything)

"Remember when we wanted to watch Holly Holm? OK, remember when some folks wanted to see Holly Hiolm? Yeah, 0-2 since that win over Ronda changed all that really fast."

Shows how fixed the sport is. Rousey was supposed to be this big champion and hasn't stepped back in the ring to regain her title.
How does that show its fixed?

@Ketchum Care to elaborate on this little nugget? I'm assuming this doesn't mean it will be a disaster, but also means that we don't have a world beater like Hudson on the DL. In other words, we'll be ok, but not great?
Yes, at best.

While Strong might not be coaching for his job this season, he is coaching for the right to control the narrative moving forward. If he skates by with another .500ish record this season, he’ll return for another year because of the $10 million left on his contract as much as any other reason and every recruit in the nation will know that he’s walking on thin ice.
************************************************************************************************

Wow. Seems like a real change of philosophy for you---one i'm glad to see.

I thought you were one of the many saying "Charlie MUST win X games" or he's gone.
I've been saying all year that I believe seven gets him another season.

Did you read my column last week?

Agree with this. That win set the stage. The 06 opener was also big And rightly predicted a that we were not MNC material that year
The win over La-Lafayette set the stage?

Or the game against Ohio State in week TWO set the stage?

Reactions: daflonghorn
This makes no sense when talking about calculating expectations. Either you incorrectly didn't factor in the probability what the shaky kicking game could cost the team in total wins, or you incorrectly aren't factoring in the added points the team will get with an upgrade at the kicking position.
As I stated previously in this thread, none of the losses I think Texas takes this season were predicated on the kicking game issues, which means that none of those games have changed into wins.

Ketch, re Fowler, the last report said he had to make an A and a B in two classes to get in. Is that what you're all in on?

Also, if our DT freshmen aren't ready, will we have an adequate DT rotation?
a. I've been saying I think he makes it for months now. That's what I'm saying.

b. adequate might have to do.

You will most likely have a rotation of the freshmen who are physically ready to play. I think the player is saying from what is seen don't expect Tommy Harris type stuff out the gate.
My guys certainly didn't think they were all physically ready to play.

I think the Notre Dame game is more winnable right now that Okie State. Charlie's teams just haven't played well on the road.
They went 3-1 in true road games in 2014, including a win in stillwater.

I think if Charlie turns this thing around, the win in Waco last year will be a big one (if not the biggest) to look back on as the turning point. I walked out of that stadium thinking that was a shitload of hay that got put in the barn and he might have saved his job. The recruiting juice from that win alone was key. Do you think Texas finishes on NSD as strong with a loss? Do the Baylor transfers happen? Serious questions. That Oklahoma win will end up being bigger as well IMO.

Notre Dame is crucial no question. But to expect a win over a Top 10 with a fish QB and so many young players in week one...I think he gets some slack here from the brass barring a blowout. I think OU and TCU are MUCH bigger games this season on paper than the Irish. I know I'd trade two wins over those for a ND loss if I could before the season even starts.
Nobody cares about that Baylor win for the most part. I think everyone knows they played a Baylor team playing with both hands behind its back.

Definite * with that one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one high on Boyette. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see his name on one of the post season all conference teams. At the very least I think he's going to be a BIG part of the success of the Texas defense this season.
He's never been a standout in his career. I suppose its possible he becomes that kind of player, but we've seen no evidence of it.

As I stated previously in this thread, none of the losses I think Texas takes this season were predicated on the kicking game issues, which means that none of those games have changed into wins.
That's just bad analysis. You never know when kicking game issues will rear it's ugly head, so you have to spread the probability across the season.

They went 3-1 in true road games in 2014, including a win in stillwater.
are you suggesting that this team has consistently played well on the road under Strong?

Cause last year it lost by 35, 43, 24 and 18 before stealing a win in Waco.

That's just bad analysis. You never know when kicking game issues will rear it's ugly head, so you have to spread the probability across the season.
No, I'd say your remark was the bad analysis.

I have Texas currently losing to Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, One of Baylor/Tech and then TCU.

An upgrade in kicker just doesn't change that thought process.

Nobody cares about that Baylor win for the most part. I think everyone knows they played a Baylor team playing with both hands behind its back.

Definite * with that one.

Both hands with at least one put there by Texas knocking their starting QB out of the game. They then turned around and beat a decent UNC team with the same gameplan in the bowl game. I think that's an underrated win....and it damn sure seemed to help fuel that recruiting finish. I think we see a much different NSD if they lose....and I bet changes the outcome of those four transfers as well.

And just a gut with Boyette...I watched him often and he flashed at times down the stretch. Hoping that experience and another offseason can make for at least him being a productive starter.

No, I'd say your remark was the bad analysis.

I have Texas currently losing to Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, One of Baylor/Tech and then TCU.

An upgrade in kicker just doesn't change that thought process.
You'd be wrong, but I think we are just looking at it differently. I thought of it as predicting as an aggregate total, like how Vegas comes up with their over/under, but it seems you're doing it by a game by game predictive basis then adding that total up, which is generally a bit less accurate, but I see what you mean now.

Reactions: texhorn
Overall a good read, the title is flawed. . .we can lose ND and have a great season. Now is this the biggest opening day. . .no question. . .but those are 2 different things.

No. 2 – Breakdown: Under the Lights a solid success ...

In the days of Mack Brown, the Orangebloods universe would have melted down over the fact that the Longhorns didn’t come away with any commitments from their biggest recruiting event of the year, partly because under Brown we were all conditioned to believe that such things mattered.

Optics were critically important. Public perception mattered more than nailing evaluations. Comparing recruiting scoreboards against Texas A&M would have been the story of the day.

Mack had his style and if he didn't do well early, it was a problem.

CFS has his style. . . he's proven he likes to close late. . . .don't expect either to copy the other, be who you are.

As for the bolded line. .. . given how well Mack did compared to the services ranking, you are kinda taking a shot at yourself but let's not act like CFS hasn't landed some guys that have been at the very top of the board (like Mack did) for a long time.

CFS has recruited a few guys that look destined for the bust pile too. . . . so does every coach, it's a numbers game.

I can do a LONG list of guys that you and the services ranked 2/3 stars who drew NFL pay checks. . . . . .

Reactions: texhorn
This is not a nit-pick. I thought of the exact same thing. Media days should be used to our advantage. No one outside of Texas die-hards knew who ANY of the players were who spoke at media days. We only have Malik for 2 more seasons.... we should be making him the face of our program RIIGHT NOW in every possible way that we can. What a wasted opportunity.
I was stunned he wasn't there. He is the face of this team!

Reactions: Cdun
"That’s not a hyperbole..."

It is a fact but what was said later falls on the side of hyperbole.

"Just like Charlie Strong, former Texas head coach David McWilliams entered the season with his job hanging in the balance after posting a 16-18 record in his first three seasons as coach and the result of that season-opener against Paterno and Co. would either serve as a springboard or a hangman’s noose."

As you pointed out, David won the game and it "spring boarded" into a pile of nothing. Works both ways too.

We lose to the Domers and win every other game (or 8 more or 9 more or 10 more) then it is just one game. If there is a loss here it does not mean the season is going to have some avalanche in losses.

If there is a season with too many losses it is because the coaching staff did not do their job for an entire season.

are you suggesting that this team has consistently played well on the road under Strong?

Cause last year it lost by 35, 43, 24 and 18 before stealing a win in Waco.
How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

They played just fine on the road in 2014, a true statement. They didn't play well on the road last season, also a true statement. Trying to assess what changed from year 1 to year 2, and how does it, or does it, carry over to year 3, is a much more nuanced conversation, than making some blanket statement that's only half true.

WRs, QB and maybe OL as well.

I'll give you WR as well. QB, no way. At least not the first game and more than likely not this year. OL... We may have some better players but we probably have bigger holes as well.

In the days of Mack Brown, the Orangebloods universe would have melted down over the fact that the Longhorns didn’t come away with any commitments from their biggest recruiting event of the year, partly because under Brown we were all conditioned to believe that such things mattered.

No silent commits?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT