ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Notre Dame game is everything)

I really enjoy the way Strong recruits and runs the program. Hoping he can win this season to see what heights we can hit with on-field success to go with his style
I certainly hopes UT wins this football season because it hurts to much to see Texas looking like Texas State

I'll give you WR as well. QB, no way. At least not the first game and more than likely not this year. OL... We may have some better players but we probably have bigger holes as well.
How do you come to that conclusion on the offensive line? I'm expecting significant improvement. Also at QB it doesn't get much worse than what we've experienced the past two years. Shane may take his freshman "lumps," but I view his floor much higher than the other two.

You'd be wrong, but I think we are just looking at it differently. I thought of it as predicting as an aggregate total, like how Vegas comes up with their over/under, but it seems you're doing it by a game by game predictive basis then adding that total up, which is generally a bit less accurate, but I see what you mean now.
I've had the win total at 7.5 since February. Vegas agrees with me. Did Vegas change its win total over/under?

"That’s not a hyperbole..."

It is a fact but what was said later falls on the side of hyperbole.

"Just like Charlie Strong, former Texas head coach David McWilliams entered the season with his job hanging in the balance after posting a 16-18 record in his first three seasons as coach and the result of that season-opener against Paterno and Co. would either serve as a springboard or a hangman’s noose."

As you pointed out, David won the game and it "spring boarded" into a pile of nothing. Works both ways too.

We lose to the Domers and win every other game (or 8 more or 9 more or 10 more) then it is just one game. If there is a loss here it does not mean the season is going to have some avalanche in losses.

If there is a season with too many losses it is because the coaching staff did not do their job for an entire season.
I acknowledged that point moments later in the column.

Did you stop in the middle of it to make your post?

I acknowledged that point moments later in the column.

Did you stop in the middle of it to make your post?

No. Not trying to rustle your whatever...the beginning has a tone of "must win or all is lost."

Hang on, I'll read it again....

"Go ahead and buckle your seat belts now because one way or another, what happens in 41 days is going to send us on a ride."

It was just me. My bad.

He also suddenly has someone who prevented a run-back on more than half of his kickoffs.

In addition to being near automatic last season between 30-49 yards as a place-kicker, Trent Domingue can also handle kickoffs and fake field goals if needed.

Cameron Gamble ended up being the best kickoff kicker on the LSU team. Not saying Trent won't be able to perform these duties at UT, but Gamble(Cedar Mound Tx) had the stronger leg.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2015) -
Saw action in nine games and split kickoff duties with Trent Dominque for a second straight season … Kicked off 43 times with a 57.8-yard average per kickoff, producing five touchbacks … Set a new career high with nine kickoffs in LSU's 56-27 blowout victory over Texas Tech in the Texas Bowl ... Had eight kickoffs for a career-best 481 yards in the win against Western Kentucky … Kicked off all six times versus Florida and recorded three touchbacks ... Saw his first action of 2015 against Eastern Michigan when he kicked off three times.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2014)
Played in seven games as he shared kickoff duties with Trent Dominque Trent Domingue for the first six games of the season and then again against Notre Dame in the Music City Bowl … Had a total of 17 kickoffs with seven going for touchbacks … Produced three touchbacks on five attempts in season-opener against 14th-ranked Wisconsin ... Added three touchbacks on four attempts against New Mexico State.

Edit: just went back and looked at Trent's kickoffs for 2015 - Kicked off 32 times, averaged 58.4 yards per kickoff and produced seven touch backs. So, i was wrong and seems like Trent also has a strong leg on kickoffs. But both of them were blah compared to Nick Rose who recorded touchbacks on 47-of-63 kickoffs (74.6%) … opponents returned just 12 kickoffs during the season, the fewest in the nation for the second-straight year

Last edited:
Cameron Gamble ended up being the best kickoff kicker on the LSU team. Not saying Trent won't be able to perform these duties at UT, but Gamble(Cedar Mound Tx) had the stronger leg.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2015) -
Saw action in nine games and split kickoff duties with Trent Dominque for a second straight season … Kicked off 43 times with a 57.8-yard average per kickoff, producing five touchbacks … Set a new career high with nine kickoffs in LSU's 56-27 blowout victory over Texas Tech in the Texas Bowl ... Had eight kickoffs for a career-best 481 yards in the win against Western Kentucky … Kicked off all six times versus Florida and recorded three touchbacks ... Saw his first action of 2015 against Eastern Michigan when he kicked off three times.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2014)
Played in seven games as he shared kickoff duties with Trent Dominque Trent Domingue for the first six games of the season and then again against Notre Dame in the Music City Bowl … Had a total of 17 kickoffs with seven going for touchbacks … Produced three touchbacks on five attempts in season-opener against 14th-ranked Wisconsin ... Added three touchbacks on four attempts against New Mexico State.
I mistook his sophomore stats for his junior stars.

your post is full of silliness.

Silliness is better than meanness. Boards should be fun, informative and more fun. This is sports, not world hunger.

I get that you run your business differently than Strong runs his. But you often fail to realize that his business is nothing like yours, so your criticism of his organizational approach, details, etc often matter very little. He is in a people and relationship intense business, and that's where he focuses his time and energy. It gets him recruits. It gets him loyalty from his players and coaches. Sometimes it costs him with same and his own loyalty. Likely he should spend more time managing the business end of things or delegating those things. I don't really know, and while I acknowledge you know far, far more than me on that, you don't really know either. You just have better educated speculation.

As to the games themselves. You have touted ND as being a powerhouse with an Oline that's rebuilt and NFL ready. Then you post articles how UTs Dline is never going to be as strong as people hope, because Freshman lineman just aren't ready in the overwhelming number of cases. You have done the same analysis about QBs between the two teams, and other positions and factors. But now, this is the game Charlie has to win? And even if he wins, and starts off 4-1 he "might get off the hot seat"? And I am silly?

If Charlie starts 4-1, he will have beaten at least 2 of 3 teams that will be heavily favored over Texas, along with Cal, on the road, who now at least has a QB replacement to Goff. He wont be off the hot seat. He will be a freaken hero to everyone except the couple of board idiots who I have blocked and whose names escape me.

You cant sit here when Texas is picked to finish the middle of the pack in the B12 and tell me a 4-1 start in the hardest part of the schedule is expected. That's not silliness, that's being a troll, or worse.

How do you come to that conclusion on the offensive line? I'm expecting significant improvement. Also at QB it doesn't get much worse than what we've experienced the past two years. Shane may take his freshman "lumps," but I view his floor much higher than the other two.

Maybe long term for Shane but both ND QBs are better than him right now.

We have a true FS starting at center and An OG next to Shack that isn't exactly a world beater. They have two dudes about to go high in the draft.

Maybe long term for Shane but both ND QBs are better than him right now.

We have a true FS starting at center and An OG next to Shack that isn't exactly a world beater. They have two dudes about to go high in the draft.
Yeah ND does have the edge at QB that's obvious, but Shane is a major upgrade over what we ran out last year.

At center Shack may be a freshman, but he can't be much worse than Doyle, so I'm expecting at the very least the same.

At OG we don't have proven bodies, but there will be a very talented competition going on once fall camp starts. Between Okefor and Hudson, so no matter who wins out there it has to be an upgrade over Flowers.

The only you can say we won't be improved from last year is DL, and even then they didn't exactly perform like world beaters so who knows.

Silliness is better than meanness. Boards should be fun, informative and more fun. This is sports, not world hunger.

I get that you run your business differently than Strong runs his. But you often fail to realize that his business is nothing like yours, so your criticism of his organizational approach, details, etc often matter very little. He is in a people and relationship intense business, and that's where he focuses his time and energy. It gets him recruits. It gets him loyalty from his players and coaches. Sometimes it costs him with same and his own loyalty. Likely he should spend more time managing the business end of things or delegating those things. I don't really know, and while I acknowledge you know far, far more than me on that, you don't really know either. You just have better educated speculation.

As to the games themselves. You have touted ND as being a powerhouse with an Oline that's rebuilt and NFL ready. Then you post articles how UTs Dline is never going to be as strong as people hope, because Freshman lineman just aren't ready in the overwhelming number of cases. You have done the same analysis about QBs between the two teams, and other positions and factors. But now, this is the game Charlie has to win? And even if he wins, and starts off 4-1 he "might get off the hot seat"? And I am silly?

If Charlie starts 4-1, he will have beaten at least 2 of 3 teams that will be heavily favored over Texas, along with Cal, on the road, who now at least has a QB replacement to Goff. He wont be off the hot seat. He will be a freaken hero to everyone except the couple of board idiots who I have blocked and whose names escape me.

You cant sit here when Texas is picked to finish the middle of the pack in the B12 and tell me a 4-1 start in the hardest part of the schedule is expected. That's not silliness, that's being a troll, or worse.
ok, I think you are having a conversation with yourself at this point, but that can be fun, too.

Reactions: daflonghorn

I don't think he's saying that 4-1 is expected. The way I read it is, if Texas beats ND than 4-1 is very possible, and Coach Strongs seat immediately becomes a much more comfortable temperature.

Fix title Ketch - says Hame not Game

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Reactions: LH817
I've had the win total at 7.5 since February. Vegas agrees with me. Did Vegas change its win total over/under?
Some books, but I won't pretend like I know it was solely because of the kicker situation. Point is, the kicker situation does change the expected wins in a positive way in some magnitude, maybe not a .5 magnitude, but it's something and not nothing, and could potentially factor into an extra win.

Some books, but I won't pretend like I know it was solely because of the kicker situation. Point is, the kicker situation does change the expected wins in a positive way in some magnitude, maybe not a .5 magnitude, but it's something and not nothing, and could potentially factor into an extra win.
Sure, it's a very, very positive development, as I explained in the section dedicated to celebrating the event of his arrival.

ok, I think you are having a conversation with yourself at this point, but that can be fun, too.

You should say this once in a while.... "my story didn't come out like I intended, I need to rewrite that junk". Being open with your mistakes will make you happier, more regular, and maybe even grow you a full head of hair. :)

Although I must say, you are so cute and cuddly when you get testy and dismissive.

I think if Charlie turns this thing around, the win in Waco last year will be a big one (if not the biggest) to look back on as the turning point. I walked out of that stadium thinking that was a shitload of hay that got put in the barn and he might have saved his job. The recruiting juice from that win alone was key. Do you think Texas finishes on NSD as strong with a loss? Do the Baylor transfers happen? Serious questions. That Oklahoma win will end up being bigger as well IMO.

Notre Dame is crucial no question. But to expect a win over a Top 10 with a fish QB and so many young players in week one...I think he gets some slack here from the brass barring a blowout. I think OU and TCU are MUCH bigger games this season on paper than the Irish. I know I'd trade two wins over those for a ND loss if I could before the season even starts.

The home schedule this year is a good one.

Reactions: WTexasHorn
You should say this once in a while.... "my story didn't come out like I intended, I need to rewrite that junk". Being open with your mistakes will make you happier, more regular, and maybe even grow you a full head of hair. :)

Although I must say, you are so cute and cuddly when you get testy and dismissive.
it came out perfectly fine. Reading comprehension seems to be the issue here. Do you REALLY want me to break down your previous post?

Reactions: daflonghorn
Yeah ND does have the edge at QB that's obvious, but Shane is a major upgrade over what we ran out last year.

At center Shack may be a freshman, but he can't be much worse than Doyle, so I'm expecting at the very least the same.

At OG we don't have proven bodies, but there will be a very talented competition going on once fall camp starts. Between Okefor and Hudson, so no matter who wins out there it has to be an upgrade over Flowers.

The only you can say we won't be improved from last year is DL, and even then they didn't exactly perform like world beaters so who knows.

I think we are comparing against two different things. From last year, sure we are upgraded at almost every position.

It was a typo in the headline.

Nothing like pouring yourself into your work, only to have a typo be the thing everyone focuses on.
It's okay, Ketchum. Your friends took your mistake and had fun with it. Some of it was darn funny too. If you were being disrespected, you would have seen things like "OB would be better if the owner wasn't an idiot" or "SMH why do we get charged so much for this level of competence?"

You should laugh at yourself more often. You should also be thankful for friends that laugh with you and not at you. Perfection is a goal, not a possession.

Can you stop saying "ex Baylor signee Patrick Hudson." He's a Longhorn now
sure, but he's always going to be an ex-Baylor signee. That's part of his story, especially since it happened just this summer.

It's okay, Ketchum. Your friends took your mistake and had fun with it. Some of it was darn funny too. If you were being disrespected, you would have seen things like "OB would be better if the owner wasn't an idiot" or "SMH why do we get charged so much for this level of competence?"

You should laugh at yourself more often. You should also be thankful for friends that laugh with you and not at you. Perfection is a goal, not a possession.
I didn't think it was disrespectful, like people were being mean.

It was more like working all day to clean the house to make the wife happy, only to have her comment on a dish being left in the sink.;)

The season has to play out for Texas to
Have a chance to free itself from the negatives. The freshman qb and new line must have time to grow. If losing to Notre dame is season determining then
Texas is again it's own worst delusional
Enemy. The season and subsequent successes are going to happen by circling the wagons and digging in to
Win streaking through late October and November. Then win a bowl. Beat the teams Texas has better talent than . The Notre Dame game can have some
Good implications even if it's lost. Look like a team that has a clue then clock Cal . Battle the ass off of the Sooners get some respect and Texas will make a
A statement . Win 7 and a bowl . That
Can still happen.

Reactions: Gus McCrea
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT