ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (On Herman, Beck, Milroe and more...)

9. The Best of Times

One of my personal favorite sports comedies. I've probably watched this movie 200 times over the years and I still laugh at all the same parts (see the clip vs. Dr. Death).

I would have it higher but kudos to you for listing this overlooked gem in your top 10.

Reactions: leej4445
I think Kyle Allen is a really poor comp for Stone. Manziel without the off field drama is more apt.
Manziel?

I don't see that at all. I don't look at the kid and think his athleticism is such that he could be recruited as an NCAA athlete.

@RLong68 Someone has to fight the good fight! :)

It's really funny as sh*t.
f50b895e8a8881e140178a0344d2e570

Reactions: leej4445
Manziel?

I don't see that at all. I don't look at the kid and think his athleticism is such that he could be recruited as an NCAA athlete.
I don't understand how you don't see elite athleticism. He is an elite passer in the pocket, but even moreso when on the move. He extends plays like Manziel and they are both ~4.7 guys. Kyle Allen was stiff and more like Garrett Gilbert or Trevor Lawrence as far as athleticism.

Spieth has showed more creative genius than anyone since Seve. Unfortunately, he now has more fundamental flaws than Seve ever had. If he can figure out how to hit it straighter and eliminate most of the bonehead tactical blunders, he could get right back to the top and win more majors. He is really fun to watch, but not when he's playing from the sticks all the time. I really hope he can reduce those key flaws. The game is more fun when Jordan is making great recoveries and incredible putts.

Spieth’s decline started when he decided to try and gain more distance off the tee. If he will be willing to go back to driving it 285 instead of trying to hit it 305 I think his championship form will return.

I don't understand how you don't see elite athleticism. He is an elite passer in the pocket, but even moreso when on the move. He extends plays like Manziel and they are both ~4.7 guys. Kyle Allen was stiff and more like Garrett Gilbert or Trevor Lawrence as far as athleticism.
His name was only brought up in relation to the players that Herman has coached.

Calling him Manzei, which he is not, would be like me calling Milroe Vince Young.

The spin moves he used to get open on the final play is literally one for the ages.

There's about 100 things in that final scene that need discussing, including the fact that Reno's chinstrap isn't strapped.

Calling him Manzei, which he is not, would be like me calling Milroe Vince Young.
Not at all. Stone is a transcendent player in the same way that Adrian Peterson was. There is a reason the Texas coaching staff broke their own rules and offered him as a high school freshman.

Not at all. Stone is a transcendent player in the same way that Adrian Peterson was. There is a reason the Texas coaching staff broke their own rules and offered him as a high school freshman.

Not sure the staff would essentially close the book on a 2021 "transcendent" QB by taking another prospect.

Reactions: bluejay7780
Not sure the staff would essentially close the book on a 2021 "transcendent" QB by taking another prospect.
I can assure everyone that they don't believe he's the Adrian Peterson of quarterbacks.

Reactions: RLong68
He's not more creative than Phil.
Well, Phil has the super flop, that's true. And Phil is the only guy who has decided to hit a moving putt rather than watch it run off the green, so I give him major points in the creative category for that. Also, Tiger is/was incredibly creative as well...so I'm probably guilty of hyperbole in my post. I suspect I am biased because I am a Jordan fanboy and really enjoy watching golf when he is on a roll. :D

Garp is greater than almost all of these. His best, however, is an HBO movie he made with Jerry Stiller called "Seize the Day" (made before Dead Poets Society). Stunning work by both actors.

a. No matter how much Tom Herman might not want to outright declare that it's Big 12 title or bust this season from an expectations standpoint, it’s Big 12 title or bust right now. Going into year three, this is the expectation for every head coach that has ever been hired by the University of Texas in my lifetime.
=========================================

Agreeing with this in principle, but there weren't that many who expected David McWilliams to win the SWC in 1989. Coming off a 4-7 record, a 4th straight loss to OU, and A&M loaded.

I was initially going to bring up Mackovic in 1994, but decided that we were a lot more optimistic before that year. We had come within a yard of beating A&M in CS the year before and had a lot of talent on offense and some young studs on defense. I can see that an SWC title was expected that year (and I don't accept the bogus 4 way tie that we were ultimately part of).

Akers and Brown? Yep. Championship expected every year.

Just here to pile on about making a Robin Williams list without watching WATG. Next make a Costner list without watching Fandango, or Cruise without seeing Risky Business. :cool:

So Air Coryell was mentioned in the question about alias for an owner or moderator of a site.
I’m not sure we ever got the full and final story on that.
Are you saying it was an account by you or someone who worked for you or another site?

And sorry if this was already asked above in thread.

Well, Phil has the super flop, that's true. And Phil is the only guy who has decided to hit a moving putt rather than watch it run off the green, so I give him major points in the creative category for that. Also, Tiger is/was incredibly creative as well...so I'm probably guilty of hyperbole in my post. I suspect I am biased because I am a Jordan fanboy and really enjoy watching golf when he is on a roll. :D
fair enough :)

a. No matter how much Tom Herman might not want to outright declare that it's Big 12 title or bust this season from an expectations standpoint, it’s Big 12 title or bust right now. Going into year three, this is the expectation for every head coach that has ever been hired by the University of Texas in my lifetime.
=========================================

Agreeing with this in principle, but there weren't that many who expected David McWilliams to win the SWC in 1989. Coming off a 4-7 record, a 4th straight loss to OU, and A&M loaded.

I was initially going to bring up Mackovic in 1994, but decided that we were a lot more optimistic before that year. We had come within a yard of beating A&M in CS the year before and had a lot of talent on offense and some young studs on defense. I can see that an SWC title was expected that year (and I don't accept the bogus 4 way tie that we were ultimately part of).

Akers and Brown? Yep. Championship expected every year.
It might not have been expected with McWilliams, which is one of the reasons so many people had him on the obvious hot seat entering that his third and fourth seasons. He just wasn't cut out for the gig.

So Air Coryell was mentioned in the question about alias for an owner or moderator of a site.
I’m not sure we ever got the full and final story on that.
Are you saying it was an account by you or someone who worked for you or another site?

And sorry if this was already asked above in thread.
It was Chris Jessie. I've told the story countless times.

Disagree about big 12 or bust. The defending champs are stacked once again on offense, a side of the ball that wins big 12 titles. On top of that, Texas is completely rebuilding on defense. Let's see what happens but this program isnt to a level yet of big 12 or bust.

The real key for Texas is to keep improving. There should be no losses on the conference schedule outside of possibly OU. Texas has to take the next step and beat OSU and the other thorns in its side the past decade. Get to the title game and play in another meaningful bowl game. Show consistency and do play down to your opponents. Obviously There are bigger fish to fry this year and certainly a conference title is one of them but if Texas goes 11-2 or 12-1 and wins another BCS bowl game to me that shows a lot of improvement regardless of big 12 title or not.

Although this team can do it they certainly aren't to a point yet where is big 12 title or bust. That was 2005 and 2009. Not the current version. Next year I will agree.
I agree that "Big 12 or Bust" has more appeal to journalists like Ketch (who need something to talk about in the off season) than for a coach like Herman (I'd argue from his perspective it's nothing but bulletin board material for OU).

However, I don't think OU is as stacked on offense as they have been the last 2 years. Replacing 4 NFL OL, a #1 pick at QB and the best WR in the draft will be tough. If their defense doesn't show marked improvement, they will be in some dogfights this year. I'd argue that's at least as big a rebuild as what our D will be going through.

Other than that I am (as usual) 100% in agreement with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT