ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (One more quarterback column)

I knows it's preseason and small sample size, but Brock hasn't really looked Hops way much. Whether by design to avoid unnecessary injury or him just reading what the defense gives him. He won't have close to the year he did last year due to the weapons around him.

Regarding Romo - I'm with you. Not a Cowboy fan but I do like and respect what Romo has done for a franchise that frankly has failed to put a good team around him most years (thanks Jerrah).

My immediate thought on seeing that play was that Dak and Zeke are the future of the franchise (sort of like Troy and Emmitt were, long ago) and despite the growing pains that it will involve, Dallas would be well served to start the youth movement soon rather than have Tony ruin his health for another mediocre season or three.

I have Hopkins (4th round keeper) and I'm afraid that with a slimmed down and reportedly focused Jalen Strong, Will Fuller, and Braxton Miller in the mix his totals will actually go down.
Great for the Texans, bad for my FF team.

Seriously considering putting him out for trade to see what he may bring
Don't do it. He's playing for a contract.

Reactions: eyes_of_texasb21
I think Strong has purposely kept the media away from the team for the most part, so that they can focus on the upcoming season. I saw an interview with a former Louisville player and he said that Strong did the same thing the year before they went 11-2.

I think it's partly protecting his young team, and part building an environment of "us against the world".

Personally, I love it and can't wait for Sunday.
Having Bridgewater had more to do with that 11-2 than ay method with the media.

Both QBs will play. Don't really care much after that.

I'm most concerned with both of our Lines. Especially the health of our OL. Moving the game to Sunday and getting an extra day may actually work out.
I think the quarterbacks share snaps much less than some. Charlie ain't gonna be about that unless he has to.

Reactions: A-10HORN
I've never seen the mods seemingly contradict themselves as much as they have this particular summer.

Very hard to get a true read on ANYTHING regarding this year's football team. I'm just glad the season starts soon so my knee jerk "wtf" thoughts to all these takes can stop.
I haven't contradicted myself once, certainly not on the quarterback position.

Disagree with your first point. In college football, a system can make an okay qb look like a great one - see Baylor, TT, etc.

Your point holds true more in the NFL than NCAA.
gonna agree to disagree. Baylor had had really good players at quarterback, too.

So you learned this last year but forgot it after week 1?
Joke all you want. Liverpool has played three road games thus far, two against Top 4 teams from a year ago, and it has outclassed all three on their pitches. The points will come.

Hell, one of these days they'll even get to play at home.

Who are the recent Big 12 champion QBs?​

2015 Baker Mayfield (Consensus All-American)
2014 Bryce Petty (NFL back-up)
2014 Trevone Boykin (NFL back-up/Heisman Finalist)
2012 Landry Jones (NFL Back-up)

2012 Collin Klein (undrafted)

The hope is that we will finally be one of those programs that can have a productive offense without needing an experienced early round NFL caliber talent in order to make it happen. Kind of like you see several of every single year in the Big 12.

If so, I think Buechele isn't less talented or less capable of being a Bad MFer than those names I listed above. The big caveats being that (a) we haven't seen it yet on the field and (b) he's a true freshman.
2015 Baker Mayfield (Consensus All-American)
2014 Bryce Petty (NFL back-up)
2014 Trevone Boykin (NFL back-up/Heisman Finalist)
2012 Landry Jones (NFL Back-up)

Obviously QB play gives teams the edge to compete for titles, but consistent depth and maturity along the LOS is how programs stay consistently good. That's how teams manage 9-3 in their bad years. You can't count on having Joe Montana at the helm year in and year out, but you can build a team that's pretty tough even if the QB isn't great.
which 9-3 season did Texas not have a bad ass at quarterback?

This has kinda been my point here as well. I realize were getting ready to play a very good team, but after that we some very win-able games, and who know we could pull off an upset against ND. Herbie and a few others kinda like our chances. So lets talk about about QB's. Jared Goff the #1 draft pick last year led Cal to a 8-5 season. A 8-5 Season! It's not always about QB, just ask McCarren, Mckelvoy at Bama. Sure a Colt McCoy in year 3 can give you wins when you're team is lacking but lets just play the season. We have a new OC and several new players.
Name the great Texas season in the last quarter-century that didn't feature great quarterback play.

Maybe, it's possible, the best way to ensure the development of Buechele is to NOT throw him to the wolves but to bring him along piece by piece. I know we're all expert D1college developers on this board, but perhaps the OC, Gilbert, knows a thing or two as well.
You have any idea how many national championships I've won in ncaa football 13? A bunch! That alone qualifies me as an authority on what the guy getting paid 5 million a year to coach this team should do! ;)

Reactions: FrancoBevo
You want Marcus Rashford and take who out?

Not Ibrahimovic, Not Rooney, Not Mata, Not Martial

Rashford's goal was essentially a tap in after a great play by Rooney

Personally, I'd rather see more Memphis Depay, Mhritkabahan (clear misspell), or Ander Herrera.
All Rashford does is score goals. What is that? 12 in 20 games or so?

Really Ketch? But did you expect this before camp started? We don't have that type of player here at all and if we do he's a true freshman. Why would the worst part of camp be something that was unrealistic to begin with?
Because as it relates to this year, it's needed desperately.

If Perrin and Fenves came to Charlie and said "We'll guarantee you another year if you start Buchele this year", would he do it? One the one hand we have a lot of people saying Charlie has to win this year or he's out. Now Ketch is saying that he needs to look beyond winning this year and consider the long-term health of the program.
The head coach always needs to consider the long-term health of the program. I'm not saying that now, I say that always.

"College football is all about special quarterbacks. When you have one, anything is possible and when you don’t, you usually spend way too much time trying to convince yourself it’s not about them when you know damn well that it is.

And then there was Greg McElroy.

Reactions: bkrichmd1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT